Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are There Any Truly Decent Politicians?

I know there are effective politicians who are getting shit done, but is there one who is truly driven by a call to service? Do they really care about the voters, or is it all about the power?

A few hours ago I walked across Kathleen Sebelius in DC, and despite having a job here, she's just one of many Cabinet secretaries who opt for stays at fancy hotels. Although she's an attractive woman (short and petitie), she had total bitch scowl going on. I was tempted to thank her for her role in getting the ACA passed; however, she didn't seem like the type who gets off on interacting with the "average" person (like Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, or even John Boehner).

Living in DC for the past several years, I've learned about the nice politicians (like Chuck Schumer...as long as you don't come between him and a television camera) and the not so nice (Hillary Clinton, Paul Ryan)....it's really helped a political junkie like me get over the celebrity of pols...

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2013

Al Franken.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

Elizabeth Warren

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

Bernie Sanders

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

Oh no, a bitch scowl!

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Al Franken does good work, but he's notoriously rude. Avoid, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Living in DC doesn't give you any special insights into the personalities of our political leaders, OP. Passing them on the street and they having a scowl does not make you an insider on who is "decent" or not. It's what they do. The issues they are passionate about and are willing to stick their necks out for.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

Corey Booker?

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

You can find truly decent politicians in two places, cemeteries and prisons.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

It is all about the power.

They believe they're deserving of better than the public.

Remember the silence when they were asked why their health care benefits wouldn't be on par with the rest of America?

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

Why do these sleazy rethuglicans like r10 always show up on DL. One would think the difficulty of typing with one hand would keep them away.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

John Lewis, 5th district House Representative from Georgia since 1987. Civil rights hero, gay rights advocate and one of the most liberal members of the House.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Jerry Brown has always struck me as a truly nice guy. Maybe because he's a student of Zen who's learned to rid himself of ego.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

Joe Biden

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

I didn't know I was a "rethuglican". I'm so happy I posted today so I could get my diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Senator Tom Harkin is a wonderful person. I had the pleasure of meeting him and working on his Presidential campaign when I was a young idealistic fool. I am not so young or idealistic anymore, but Tom Harkin remains a decent kind, idealistic, hardworking Liberal and he will be greatly missed

There are a lot of people who are ethical,passionate in their belief that government can be a force for good, and they understand the meaning of the term, public servant.

These same people may not be the most polite, or kindest, or pleasant. They can be brusque bordering on out right rude, they can be peremptory,iimpatient, entitled, irritable, unpleasant.

But here's the thing. I don't want to be their BFF. I hired them to do a job. The fact that they do their job is all I ask or expect.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

Alan Grayson

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

Sherrod Brown also

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

I agree with r10.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

Whoever shares office space with the House rep for Wayne County MI is a really nice guy. I was there back in 2011 with a group. My rep wasn't there but the guy in the next office (who as I recall wasn't even from Michigan) invited us into his office and intently listened to what we were saying (we were there trying to keep them from cutting funds for libraries). He then told us about how his local library was his safe haven and asked if he could take some of our pamphlets.

He also gave us some gift cards to Starbucks, which seems to be on every corner in DC.

The next month I heard there was another round of cuts but that a few house members had insisted on keeping the republicans from making cuts to educational facilities.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

"like Chuck Schumer...as long as you don't come between him and a television camera"

Tired, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

NOT, R22. Stop being a brainwashed Kool-Aid drinking libertarian moron.

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

Through my work I've spent time around many politicians over the years, mostly in state Capitols but also a number of national politicians. There are many decent hard working people in state legislatures, though often even the good ones get sort of compromised by the ugly churn of politics.

I've spent some time with Franken, who has a big ego but he struck me as a very nice, smart man who wants to serve his constituents. In person he's sardonic and occasionally a little spacey. He's got a good marriage, lovely kids and is very loyal to people who work for him.

In North Dakota their new senator, Heidi Heitkamp, is very sharp and down to earth, she seems to have good motives. Former US Representative Earl Pomeroy was an extremely nice man, he lost his seat in the Tea Party landslide in 2010. Former senators Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad both had very high regards for themselves and knew how to lay it on thick with the folks back home but they were both good Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

Definitely Bernie Sanders from Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2013

Definitely NOT Corey Booker.

by Anonymousreply 2601/27/2013

Reading in between the lines of R24's post is fun. This:

"Former senators Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad both had very high regards for themselves and knew how to lay it on thick with the folks back home but they were both good Democrats."

Is damning with faint praise.

by Anonymousreply 2701/27/2013

I wonder if someone like Earl Pomeroy, who lost to Tea Party bullshit, could run again and win, as buyers-remorse sets in?

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2013

Ron Paul is also a hypocrite. Used his position to benefit his family financially.

He was named one of the most corrupt in Congress.

by Anonymousreply 2901/27/2013

I think Barbara Mikulski of Maryland is pretty cool. Everything about her screams Grandma. Surprised she has survived public office this long.

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

The general word on Mikulski is that she's effective but not a nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 3101/27/2013

Sadly, any decent ones either never made it or didn't stay long. There's Biden I guess.

by Anonymousreply 3201/27/2013

Russ Feingold. Still can't believe he lost. The irony, or better word sad thing about his loss is the fact that the dark money he fought against is what ended his life as a senator.

What would you like to see him do with the rest of his life? He's turned down running for Governor.

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

the "general word" coming straight out of your ass r31?

by Anonymousreply 3401/27/2013

Jose Mujica, President of Uruguay.

by Anonymousreply 3501/27/2013

U.S. Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa who has been in the U.S. Senate for about 30 years or more.

He is giving up his seat and not running for re-election in 2014.

He is extremely decent, very progressive in policies, and strives for economic and social justice.

A wonderful man.

by Anonymousreply 3601/27/2013

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio.

Also very progressive and strives for economic and social justice.

by Anonymousreply 3701/27/2013

I worked on the Hill and it pains me as a lesbian to say this, but Barbara Mikulski is unfortunately a pretty grouchy lady.

Steny Hoyer is a breezy, relaxed and fun old-time politician in the Biden mode, but with more self-control. Has a nice singing voice too. Blanche Lincoln, unfortunately tossed out by Tea Party turds, was a straight shooter. Tammy Baldwin is nice -- almost too nice -- and a little bland.

by Anonymousreply 3801/27/2013

Rep. Barbara Lee of California votes her conscience and her conscience is sound.

Rep. Ed Markey (he's running for John Kerry's seat) has always been a decent pol.

I agree on Senators Sanders, Franken, Harkin, Warren and probably some I'm not thinking of now.

I miss Senator Paul Wellstone, RIP.

Oh, that guy in Florida - a House member. Lost his seat but now they've sent him back to DC. The guy who said that the Republican healthcare plan was "Don't Get Sick" and if you do get sick, "Die Quickly." Love that guy.

Found him! Alan Grayson of Florida.

by Anonymousreply 3901/27/2013

Wow, R29, what else are you able to pull out of your ass?

by Anonymousreply 4001/27/2013

Didn't Big Dyke Mikulski vote for DOMA? UGH!

In the House, Rush Holt of New Jersey is probably one of the very best of the lot.

by Anonymousreply 4101/27/2013

U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer of California

by Anonymousreply 4201/27/2013

An ex of mine from Iowa once confirmed Tom Harkins' goodness/effectiveness (his family is pretty decent as well)...

Incidentally, when I started this thread, I didn't mean to imply that people have to be nice in order to get things done. But it would be somewhat reassuring to know that there are politicians who actually care about the American people as much as they care about feeding their egos.

by Anonymousreply 4301/28/2013

R11? R10 is right. Just look at the way the Democrats caved last week on the filibuster rules. Why? Because it's all about power and when they're the minority in the Senate again, they don't want decisions they made about procedure when they were the majority coming back to bite them in the ass. They would do the same thing Republican senators do - but, of course, not as much (cough, cough). That tells you everything you need to know about politicians.

by Anonymousreply 4401/28/2013

Joe Biden is the most decent badass in Washington

by Anonymousreply 4501/28/2013

This is a bit detailed but stay with it.

I was with this sex worker a few years back during the 2008 primary between Hillary and Barack. It was still early in the process, probably March. My encounter was originally meant to be a full body massage with this really hot, hung body builder named Josh but after a few minutes he starts rubbing my ass (I'm a big, muscular guy too), saying how he's got to have it, which got me going too. I rolled over to make full body contact with him and in no time he just helps himself - he's straddling me with my cock up his ass, he's in total power bottom mode, on top, all hot and muscular, seriously pleasuring himself. We're both in heaven. We flip fucked for the next two hours, at least, then were cuddling and lying in bed for a while, kissing, getting to know more about one another. The point is this guy was a total pro.

He's based in Geneva, has a partner there (but clearly maintains his independence) and is one of these guys who has clients all over the world: London, Los Angeles, Sydney, Cape Town, all throughout Europe - anywhere he wants to go. And, as you can imagine, this type of guy, this sex worker, knows some powerful people and, given his great personality and more obvious assets, probably is well taken care of by his clients and friends. He tasted delicious, everything about him was delicious.

Naturally, given we're both American, we start talking about the primary; I mentioned my desire to see Hillary get the nomination. And in a way that was more informed than it was full of passionate energy (like any personal hate or dislike) he said that the people he knew in high places - bankers, business men, gov't officials from different countries (in Europe) - didn't want it, that it wasn't going to happen because she isn't liked, she's feared, she terrifies people. As he elaborated I remember he said that she and Bill are incredibly power hungry and ruthless with people. I remember he said that she wanted it so bad...given how well whores and politicians mix, there was a certain gravity to what he was saying.

And I said, well, that's fine with me. After 8 years of Bush, I want someone in that office that actually wants to be there. Of course she's ruthless and fearsome - that's how people achieve positions of power. I like that she wants it so bad because, AFAIC, when Hillary Clinton wins - we all win.

Again, not as a matter of personal conviction but more like someone who had been advised as such, he said that the prospect of a Hillary Clinton presidency was a very dangerous one, due to character issues. I still like her.

We fucked some more, took a shower. I expressed some appreciation for him in monetary terms - only for the massage. He's pursued me since then - he really wants to bareback but I don't do that so, as tempting as it is, I avoid him. Hillary's stock has gone up and up and I look forward to her inauguration in 2016.

Politicians by their very nature are power players and they will do and say anything to get and/or maintain power. Never forget it. But I like to think HRC and the core of the Democratic party are working for the good of all. I just don't want to know about their private lives or what else they do with their power.

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2013

Hell No. They either think nothing is anyone's fault or are liars (Elizabeth Warren)

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2013

r63. you are a dunce.

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2013

Russ Feingold

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.