Anna Paquin

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Jennifer Aniston

Kate Winslet

Hilary Swank

Halle Berry

Julia Roberts

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 6402/28/2013

Because the men are more often viewed only in terms of their sexual desirability.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 201/27/2013

I was going to say "you forgot the ubiquitous Miss Dunham" but I'm sure most DLers would refute the word "actress" being used to describe her.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 401/27/2013

They don't measure up to the Holy Trinity of Bette, Joan, and Judy.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 501/27/2013

What is wrong with Sarah Michelle Gellar???

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 601/27/2013

Oh, I can think of plenty of male celebs that people in general are sick of:

Tom Cruise (brainwashed asexual)

Tom Hanks ( smug, overexposed, overrated)

Denzel (seems like an asshole)

Robin Williams (phony, coked up drunk, unfunny)

Billy Crystal (unfunny)

Brad Pitt (bland, not very bright)

George Clooney (smug, closeted, overexposed)

Ricky Gervai (smug, unfunny, seems like a jerk)

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 701/27/2013

How can you hate Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 801/27/2013

Jessica Shitstain is awful, untalened and ubiquitous.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 901/27/2013

R7, you forgot to add "terrible actor" for Brad Pitt.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1001/27/2013

Don't forget Jodie Foster and Rosie O'Donnell, OP.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1101/27/2013

Of these, I like Kate Winslet and Jessica Chastain. The others mentioned run from innocuous to mildly annoying. The only one that I can't stand is Julia Roberts. Bitch and mean to people.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1401/27/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1501/27/2013

I'm not ancient, R13. Sorry all the taste you have is in your mouth.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1601/27/2013

And that's just the actresses! Think of the female singers DLers hate and your head will explode.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1701/27/2013

A lot of people have a huge void where their life should be.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1801/27/2013

r10, Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor too and no one hates him. DLers can suss out the fake ones so genuine guys like him are well-liked.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 1901/27/2013

Um.... Robert Pattinson; aka " Robbie the Retard"

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2001/27/2013

If you saw "The Help", "Take Shelter" and "The Debt" and still say that Jessica Chastain is untalented, lumping her with the likes of Kristen Stewart, Jessica Alba and Taylor Lautner, then the tasteless one is you.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2101/27/2013

First of all, you have to realize that many (not all) American gay men like to talk about Hollywood actresses because we love the movies and the women are the most glamorous figures in them. It has been so basically since the star system was created in the 1910s (and it even precedes that to the days of stage stars). So that's no big news. You would find straight men talk obsessively about male sports stars, and have the same strong opinions about them as the posters do here about Hollywood actresses.

I don't agree at all that most Dlers hate all the women you've named. Some of them I agree we do, but by no means that ridiculously exaggerated long list you've just posted.

Gwyneth Paltrow: Yes, we do hate her by and large. But I don't think that's singular to DL--she is one of the most widely hated celebrities on the Internet. And given her propensity for obnoxious public statements about how people should live their lives, I don't think people's strong reactions to her here or elsewhere is surprising.

Anne Hathaway: That just started here largely in the last six months, and much of it has been an effort to tweek the wildly overenthusiastic "Les Miserables" fangurls like Lynn Stairmaster

Reese Witherspoon: There is a lot of anger directed here, which I've never much understood. I think it has something to do with the fact that she often plays "good girl" roles and because she is not conventionally beautiful, and was married for a long time to ryan Phillippe who is a lust object for many

Sarah Jessica Parker: I think people mostly liked her until the popularity of "sex and the City" created a marketing industry around her and touted her as beautiful. Many gay men do like female glamor, and they get angry if the cultural industry touts as attractive someone they find plain or ordinary. The fact that Parker marketed herself so aggressively during the 00's made her image seem omnipresent, and it felt hard to watch TV or read magazines without having her image shoved down your throat.

Dakota Fanning: She's never been "hated" here at all--that's a misreading. There were long running jokes about her being a bitch to other actresses, but that had much more to do with the fact that she was a sweet little child star who seemed to be in everything for so many years. The same thing would have happened for any blonde cherubic child actress who appeared in everything.

Lea Michele: There is a surprisingly vocal group of people who watch her show who dislike her here, and most of it centers around comments regarding her appearance. Again, gay men do like to tear down women whom the cultural industry touts as glamorous but whom they do not find attractive at all.

Kristen Stewart: See SJP.

Jennifer Aniston: The dislike for her mostly has to do with the fact that it's been hard to stand in line at a supermarket for the last fifteen years and not have details of her personal life screaming at you. If her publicists (and the editors of Us and InTouch) would stop trying to market her as Everyomwan so loudly, people would not care much about her.

Kate Winslet: People responded badly to her aggressive campaign to win the Oscar the year she won it for "The Reader," but I think most people here actually respect her quite a bit because she's almost undeniably a fine actress.

Hilary Swank: People make fun of her large teeth, but again I think people here mostly respect her for her fine work, particularly in "Boys Don't Cry."

Julia Roberts: She is pretty much disliked here, I will grant you that. She does not come across well when she is interviewed or appears at awards ceremonies, which largely has to do with the fact she became so famous at an early age and has not handled it well.

Jessica Chastain and Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman and Jennifer Lawrence and Anna Paquin and Scarlett Johansson and Halle Berry and Amanda Seyfried and Sarah Michelle Gellar: I don't think there is abiding dislike here for most of these women. A few of them attract individual haters: that's it.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2201/27/2013

DLers hate a lot of actresses because they get all the hot actors, of course.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2301/27/2013

R22, Reese Witherspoon is not conventionally beautiful? Seriously?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2401/27/2013

So r22, you're saying that straight men identify with other men, and gay men identify with women, correct?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2501/27/2013

The only ones I don't like on your list OP is Julia Roberts, huge mouth, can't act and gallops around like a horse, Gwynnie for being a pompous ass and Kristen Stewart, 'nuff said.

I don't have a clue who Lea Michele is. The rest don't bother me at all.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2601/27/2013

I'd add Christian Bale to the hated actor's list.

Also, any openly gay actors who exhibit e-f-f-e-m-i-n-a-t-e qualities, like Chris Colfer and Andrew Rannells, are widely despised here.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2701/27/2013

I don't hate Reese Witherspoon, but I dislike her insistence on making bankable movies that don't challenge her as an actress. She was so good in "Election." I also think of her as a backstabber from a recent blind item.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 2801/27/2013

I think R28 nailed it. She was so good in some really interesting movies (i.e. Election and Freeway) that it's really disappointing to a lot of people that they only see her in bad romcoms nowadays.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3001/27/2013

And Reese totally didn't deserve that Oscar for "Walk the Line," nor the nomination for Best Actress. It was a supporting role, at best.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3101/27/2013

The other actress who is polarizing to me is Nicole Kidman. Great talent, but too much plastic surgery and makes horrible film choices. I can't listen to her in interviews because she talks about her work as an actress and all of her important choices. Keith Urban must hit the bong to get through the day when she is around.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3201/27/2013

I feel for any man who gets stuck with any of those cunts. Plus op conviently forgot to mention all the man hate that happens here. Not surprized by that though. The gay man is always being abused. Luckily we're a tough group.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3301/27/2013

How about Johnny Travolta?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3401/27/2013

"Surprized", "exercized" - that's some creative spelling. Trying to outdo Noah Webster?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3501/27/2013

I only don't like a handful of the names you mentioned: Paltrow, Lea Michele, Kristen Stewart, Halle Berry and Julia Roberts.

And one you missed: Katherine Heigl.

I'm still generally OK with Hathaway, although my well of tolerance for her is draining.

I could name the same amount of male actors/celebrities I don't like - Cruise, Affleck, Gerard Butler, Will Smith. On the fence with Bradley Cooper.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3601/27/2013

[quote]So [R22], you're saying that straight men identify with other men, and gay men identify with women, correct?

No, I never said that. You've put words in my mouth.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3701/27/2013

I think it's understood that John Travolta is known to be a pretty nice guy, R34despite the fact that he sold his soul to CO$.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3801/27/2013

Natalie Portman had an annoying oscar campaign a few years back. And she's a questionable actress.

Jennifer Lawrence did a lousy joke at the Golden Globes, then an even worse skit on SNL. It came across as obnoxious.

I don't think it's "hating" to point out the obvious.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 3901/27/2013

I think it's jealousy. Gay men want to be these leading ladies.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4001/27/2013

R13, I started calling her "Shitstain" just to be funny, as sort of a parody of those queens. Too bad everybody misses the joke.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4101/27/2013

um, because most of the gay men who post on DL are the type that hate(and fear) women.

So always there is the need to classify them and criticize them first on their looks, and then on their perceived merits and values.

Then there is the whole "what do we think?" little gay nonsense about everything.

I think it is supposed to be cute as in what do we boys think about so and so. Gossip implies inclusiveness but in DL reality it is more a bunch of scared unevolved gay men venting their anger and sexual frustration, and encouraging others to join them while competing with each another. (Female brains with male hormones)

Pointless Bitchery, indeed. It is not very sexy or smart or masculine to bitch like little mean girls about grown women though.

This would be harmless if were only about actors and actresses, but unfortunately it is applied to most every topic. Such self loathing and misogyny and man on man jealousy. Ugly stuff.

Is in Ok or not OK for me to like Anne Hathaway today? Please tell me what to think about this DL.

In "our" defense I will state that the majority of gay men are not like this, and certainly not to the venomous extent that is found on DL.

I have learned lots of interesting things from DL posters about politics, art, music, history and cosmetic surgery. Some people are witty.

The OP may be trolling, but I have read hateful things written about all those actresses out here. Half the time I don't even know the origin or the reason for the "collective" disfavour and why they must be shunned. I don't really care, though some of the reasons stated are unintentionally hilarious. See R22 explain who is okay to hate and who is not and why.

Knowing who and what you like in life and why you do is a very good start. But it is not the end of the conversation.

Don't defend and don't apologize. A critic when challenged need not retract or attack in response. Expand your view.

That is what grown men and women do.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4201/28/2013

Because many on DL are like immature, teenage girls who feel they need to tear down others in order to feel important themselves. It's pathetic, really, and shows a very small inner stature. I sometimes get so sick of all the HATE that drips from some of these threads. Just ruins it for me.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4301/28/2013

You sound smug and holier-than-thou, r42 - are you a Gwyneth Paltrow fan??

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4401/28/2013

[quote]I started calling her "Shitstain" just to be funny, as sort of a parody of those queens. Too bad everybody misses the joke.

Almost certainly a sign that it was an unfunny and poorly delivered joke, I'd say.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4501/28/2013

And don't even get me started on the shit storm that rains down on Shane Klingensmith here on DL.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4701/29/2013

Then go the fuck away R43 if it's so awful. The fact that you remain while professing to be appalled means that you're a weak idiot. Long walk. Short pier.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4801/29/2013

[quote]I think it is supposed to be cute as in what do we boys think about so and so. Gossip implies inclusiveness but in DL reality it is more a bunch of scared unevolved gay men venting their anger and sexual frustration, and encouraging others to join them while competing with each another. (Female brains with male hormones)

THIS.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 4901/29/2013

Obviously OP is trolling.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5001/29/2013

Whether or not the OP is trolling is not even all that relevant. True there can be a spirit of meanness here, but do not confuse hatred with superb bullshit detection.

Do you expect all coverage to be like that seen on the Today show or one of the nightly entertainment "news" programs?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5101/29/2013

oscar bump

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5302/25/2013

I voted W&W for r42. You're so right. I've been on DL for 10 years, and maybe as I grow older I find that mean-spirited behavior, joking or serious, ages a person faster. It's just not cute.

It would be so nice to have a peaceful thread once in a while. They used to happen more frequently here. Now, not so much.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5402/25/2013

Not me. I adore women. I just don't want to fuck them.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5502/25/2013

I don't HATE any of them, but I sure don't LIKE AnnE. She is the only one who really bugs me, though I was pretty sick of Natalie Portman by the time she got her Oscar.

I *still* haven't been able to get anyone to explain the "Julianne Moore, seriously" thing on here. I hope it's not a slam, since she is one of my favorite celebrities.

Yes, seriously.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5602/26/2013

From OP's list I don't hate the following:

Jessica Chastain

Keira Knightley

Scarlett Johansson

Sarah Jessica Parker (although I agree she's ugly)

Amanda Seyfried

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Jennifer Aniston

Kate Winslet

...And I'm an excellent judge of character.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5702/26/2013

The only one on OP's list that I hate -- and I mean actively loathe -- is Hilary Swank.

There are far more male celebrities that I hate: Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Nicolas Cage, Christian Bale....

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 5802/26/2013

I want to eat all of their turds!

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 6002/26/2013

Um we hate SJP?

Am I the only gay who loves her?

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 6102/26/2013

But, why do you loath her, r58? What is it that makes you react that way?

R40, r42 and r43 are right.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 6202/26/2013

OP, have you logged-off Datalounge in the past 13 years? Come up out of the basement and get some fresh air.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 6302/28/2013

From your list, I only hate Gwynneth (and she's mellowing as she gets older, I think), Julia Roberts and Leah Michele.

I loathe Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Christian Bale, Justin Timberlake and Russell Crow.

by Why aren't you as hard on the men?reply 6402/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.