Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What bank(s) do you use?

I use the loathsome Bank of America for personal checking, ING for savings, and Fidelity for stocks/retirement. My preferred CC is Amex.

Et toi?

by Anonymousreply 6402/01/2014

A local one. What's it to ya?

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

Chase

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

My one-branch credit union for my personal accounts and Key Bank for my business accounts. Credit unions are the only way to go. Most large commercial banks are evil.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

OP, you don't know me well enough to "toi."

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Excluding, mutual funds, IRA, and stocks, bonds, etc.

My personal accounts are with Wells Fargo, BOA, and a local hometown bank administers my trust account.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Well smell you, R5.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

Three credit unions. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

TD Bank. They are crooks like all the rest. P

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

Yes, all crooks.

I too use TD Bank for checking and savings; Wells Fargo for mortgages on 3 properties; and Bank of America and Chase for cards.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

I hate Wells Fargo. Thank God I was able to join USAA. I have both savings and checking accounts with them, as well as homeowners insurance for my new house. And getting a loan from them was no problem compared to Wells Fargo...

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

Have BOA but Chase gave me $125 to try them out. I deposit $100 every other week.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

Credit Union--one of the best decisions I made.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Can anyone join USAA?

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

R12, what benefits do you find you have using a credit union over a typical bank? Are you using it for savings checking or a loan of some sort? TIA

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

I think you have to be a veteran. It used to be officers only, but has opened up to enlisted (active, reserve and vet) in 1996.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Bank of Leumi and Citibank and Wells Fargo

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

Well Fargo Bank for checking. Fidelity for investments, and a company in the Midwest administers my trust fund.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

OP, ING is Capital One now so I would be wary of them. I use a credit union for everything. Not all credit unions are equal, though. You have to research them. I don't ever want to be a part of Bank of America, though.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

I had a WaMu checking account, but have kept it with Chase -- not wild about their fee structure, but honestly, the staff have been really nice to deal with (generally).

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

Northwest Savings Bank. They're local. Everyone should take their money out of BoA,Chase and all other major banks who have, after all, been caught laundering over $4.2 billion in drug money.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

HSBC. Their customer service is just awful and they did a laughable job attempting to investigate fraud on my account. Having said that, I'm too lazy to switch.

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

Credit union via work. I gave up banks a loooong time ago.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

I use Chase. I went to deposit some cash into my partner's account, our rent is due and his name is on the lease so he sends a check and I deposit my half of the rent into his account today.

I was told that starting Feb 1, you have to show valid ID for cash deposits into accounts that are not yours. WTF????

Anyone knows why? any new regulations? I asked the lady but her accent was soooo strong that I couldn't understand a thing she said. I didn't want to waste time so I just left.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2014

Ally.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2014

PNC Bank for day to day stuff and I can say that their customer service isn't bad. Discover Bank and Ally for Savings.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2014

Very similar to OP. BofA for checking, ING (now Capital One) for online savings. Have a money market and second checking account at a local credit union. And Schwab for IRA.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2014

Credit union only. Screw the banks.

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2014

Small local bank for checking, credit cards at Chase (airline loyalty cards), E*Trade for everything else.

Haven't written checks in years, so the local bank is really just for getting cash from their ATM's, making deposits and transferring money to E*Trade.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2014

I use Bank of America for ATM cash only. When that account runs low, I deposit a check in it. I have a 30-year old credit union account that I don't use much. I also have an internet "Orange" account that I don't use much either, since it earns so little interest these days.

Mostly, I use my Fidelity brokerage account as a checking account. I love it. "Fido" has a automated "bill pay" system that works well for me.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2014

Why would anyone have a savings account these days? They're about useful as Christmas Clubs. Remember them, oldies? You'd have to have ashitload of money in a savings account to make it to the $600 required interest to declare annually. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 3001/30/2014

BBVA Compass a Spanish held US bank headquartered in Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 3101/30/2014

[quote]They're about useful as Christmas Clubs. Remember them, oldies?

My dinosaur of a Savings and Loan still offered them until about 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3201/30/2014

[quote] Why would anyone have a savings account these days?

Because I don't like taking a loss with my 401k or other retirement accounts tied to the markets and their volatility. I have to have some other back-up for when I retire in the next 12-15 years.

by Anonymousreply 3301/30/2014

TD Bank. It's a Canadian bank. The Canadian banking system is the best in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3401/30/2014

[quote]I don't like taking a loss with my 401k or other retirement accounts tied to the markets and their volatility.

R33 No t@x on @ccounts in Sw@tzerl@and for those living outside the country.

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2014

Actors Federal Credit Union. Free online banking, free ATMs, free money transfer to financial institutions etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2014

TD stands for Toronto Dominion.

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2014

A friend asked me to deposit a check with him as payee in his BOA account. They asked for my driver license and wrote the number on his deposit slip.

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2014

Direct deposit of paycheck at BOA. Mortgage at Valley National, a NJ bank with branches in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2014

Good heavens, how can I possibly keep track?

by Anonymousreply 4001/30/2014

Bank of America for checking

American Express for savings

Credit cards with Chase (United frequent flyer card), American Express (two! Three if you count the old-school green card), Bank of America (two!) and Capital One (also two!).

Everyone hates BofA and Capital One, but they extended credit to me during some dark times and helped me crawl out. I'm a little loyal to them for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 4101/30/2014

Den Norske Bank.

by Anonymousreply 4201/30/2014

OK, now kindly please provide your account numbers.

by Anonymousreply 4301/30/2014

I'm so old, my account number is 1.

by Anonymousreply 4401/30/2014

Credit union at work.

Any opinions on Santander?

by Anonymousreply 4501/30/2014

At Noneya FNB

by Anonymousreply 4601/30/2014

I love my bank (USAA). I've never had any issues and they're pretty proactive in meeting the needs of customers.

Eligibility requirements for R13:

Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.

Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).

Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.

Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.

by Anonymousreply 4701/30/2014

Trustmark ;)

by Anonymousreply 4801/30/2014

Credit unions usually offer lower interest rates on personal loans and credit cards (VISA, MasterCard). Credit unions often don't charge the various fees that banks do.

by Anonymousreply 4901/30/2014

Loathe Amex.

by Anonymousreply 5001/30/2014

Regions Bank

by Anonymousreply 5101/30/2014

[quote]Any opinions on Santander?

They're not in the Midwest yet, so don't bank with them, but I do own a few shares of their stock, and they're the one company I have stock in that seems to give a fuck about their shareholders. They send me chatty emails, they hold contests for trips, they have a shareholder website that offers discounts on things like trips and wine and hotel discounts (most of which only have value if you live in Europe though), and they seem to hold regular sessions to keep their shareholders informed.

I would think that if they do that for shareholders, they're probably pretty service orientated when it comes to their customers as well.

by Anonymousreply 5201/31/2014

When I finally dumped my bank, I almost went with USAA -- I don't fit any of the regular requirements, but apparently there's a way to work with them to open an account.

Instead I went with a local credit union. The small inconvenience of it (and it is small) is worth never having to deal with BofA, CapOne, Wells Fargo or any of those awful institutions.

by Anonymousreply 5301/31/2014

Thanks, R52!

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2014

I just can't handle any more DL excitement.

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2014

I pay no fees. I use a regional bank, that is very customer oriented mainly because they have ATM's everywhere I go locally. However I also have two credit unions that I use, no fees for the services I use, higher interest rates for CD's and deposits. Only reason I have the second credit union was because I received a very favorable rate on a large CD there.

It is a good idea to have at least two places for banking. If your account is hacked or any problem that arises where your account could be frozen for a few days, you are not locked out of all your funds. Hasn't ever happened to me, but it has happened to friends.

by Anonymousreply 5601/31/2014

I love credit unions. I have accounts with USAA and PenFed.

by Anonymousreply 5701/31/2014

Haha, R55.

I really need to learn more about finances. I'l almost 30, and I know jack shit - just have a checking and 2 credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2014

R55, a good start is if your employer has any type of automatic deductions to a savings account. If you never see it and it is never in your checking account, it is so much easier to save. Then any salary increases you get have at least 50% of that increase deposited into savings. Even if you think that you can't afford to put anything in savings try it, if you need to you can always raid that savings, but try really hard not to raid it.

If your employer has a 401k savings program where they match some of your deposits that is the best saving you can get, it is free money and tax free until you withdraw it.

by Anonymousreply 5901/31/2014

Apple Bank. But I miss old school Emigrant.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2014

Checking: Local bank (had an account since I was 16); Ally (primary); ING/Capital 360; emergency H&R Block pre-paid debit card.

Savings: Ally (primary); ING/Capital 360.

Preferred cc: Discover

The rest: Vanguard

by Anonymousreply 6102/01/2014

CREDIT UNIONS.

They dont charge fees for every transaction. They also provide better rates for mortgages, etc

Lastly should you ever need a money transfer via wire etc, you will recieve your money FASTER and without fees.

Many credit Unions are actively engaged in teaching young people, college students about healthy financial practices. This is Brilliant and LONG overdue in this bizarre consumerist world. Credit Unions are good people.

by Anonymousreply 6202/01/2014

An old friend of mine in Boston used "The National Bank of Greece", because there was a branch next to his office. It was funny, but it worked for him.

But then he died.

by Anonymousreply 6302/01/2014

OK, I'll play.

US Bank for Checking and mortgage refi.

GE Capital for Saving (best rates or CDs and money market accounts).

Vanguard for retirement fund management.

by Anonymousreply 6402/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.