Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What to see in Buenos Aires?

Going to Buenos Aires, Argentina, soon. I know they have gay marriage there, but is it gay-friendly? What would you see there? How's the food? Are the steaks there really the best?

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

Rio de la Plata! Florida! Corrientes! Nuevo de Julio! All I want to know...

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

Go to some late-night tango bars that aren't frequented by tourists -- ask at your hotel. You'll be totally welcome there and you'll experience a fascinating and authentic side of Buenos Aires that only locals and adventuresome tourists get to see.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

I adore you r1, I was just about to post the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

Take a side trip to the mountains -- ski Bariloche!

Looks like a Swiss village.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Yes, OP-- the beef is amazing. Or at least it was when we were there 6 years ago.

If you have time, take a side trip up to Iguazu Falls. Breathtaking!

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

The entire country is stunning.

The food in general is awesome. Many Italians settled there so if you get tired of the beef you can great some beautiful Italian Food.

What shocked me is that I typically eat very little meat and when I have a lot of beef in America my digestion slows. In Argentina, not atl all, maybe it was all the walking.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

The city cemetery is pretty cool. Evita is resting there.

La Recoleta?

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

One of my favorites......like NYC, a mix of all types and different neighborhoods...very active gay scene and fun clubs open late....go to El Tigre- a suburb for the wealthy- gorgeous. Lots of theater, take a tour of the Colon Opera House. Food is incredible. Skip the soccer matches- I learned a hard lesson- tough crowd. If Nacha Guevara is performing you must see her- 72 years old, looks like Cher with all the plastic surgery, but is a unique singer.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

How safe is it compared to, say Sao Paulo or Mexico City?

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

What isn't safe compared to Mexico City?

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

Just strolling down Palermo neighborhoods is a great way to enjoy a leisurely day in Buenos Aires. Plenty of great little restaurants, shops, cocktail places. In terms of museums, my personal favorites are MACBA and Coleccion Fortabat. Definitely go to Recoleta and the cemetery there. Boca might be worth a visit but it's essentially a tourist trap where scams abound. Last time we were in BA, we took a day trip to the Parana delta and enjoyed it very much (do bring insect repellant and an umbrella, since it does get humid and rainy there.) The restaurant scene is great with everything being very affordable, even at the very best places. And, yes, it's extremely gay friendly, there is even a swanky gay hotel, Axel, in Montserrat, if that's your thing. You can also take a day trip by boat to Montevideo in Uruguay if you run out of things to do in BA, which is very unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Eva Peron's balcony.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

Any good spots for lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

Buenos Aires is very cosmopolitan. The mix of French, Italian, German and South American Indian makes the Argentinian people quite good-looking.

Of course see that crazy cemetary in the middle of the city where Eva Peron is buried. Walk the neighborhoods; there are some quite lovely areas. See the opera house. And a two to three day trip to Iguazu Falls (about an hour flight from Buenos Aires) on the border of Argentina nd Brazil is spectacular and relaxing.

Iguazu Falls is really something to see. Cross the border into Brazil where the views are a more panoramic. Stay at the Hotel Das Cateratas on the Brazilian side for a couple of nights. You'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Are flights to BA from the northeast US always over a thousand, one way? I actually got a windfall and want to visit, but the airfare is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

La Boca Colonia, Uruguay - great day trip (Fast Ferry) San Telmo Square at night to watch the tango dancers in the square San Telmo Market San Telmo Flea Market Cemetery Hollywood and Soho Areas El Ateneo Grand Splendid - Great Bookstore Puerta Madera Shopping along Floria Street Leather shopping El Zanjón in San Telmo Take the old subway Pink Palace Opera House

I love BA. It is a grittier version of Paris. We've been there twice and found it very safe. Be wary of fake money from cabbies. Don't break a large bill with them.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

Ride that rainbow express tour train thingy.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

In the old days, B.A. was the New York of South America and Sao Paulo the Chicago. Clearly, the roles are reversed now. Sao Paulo is the New York of S.A. and B.A. the Chicago. But B.A. is still a fascinating and lovely place.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

I just spent three weeks in Argentina. It's looks a bit like a South American Paris, there's Tango, Malbec, Evita, and gauchos. The gay life wasn't exciting at all and I didn't think the men were that handsome. I know, I'm a downer - just an honest impression.

Argentina is a third world country and in my mind overrated as a travel destination. The power was out most of the day for two days in Argentina. There was a garbage strike, floods...a heat wave.

If you can find a safe, unofficial place to exchange US dollars you'll save a lot of money. The official exchange rate is 4.97 pesos to the dollar (as of 1/27/13). The "blue dollar" rate is about 7.54. That's a 52% difference. I took a lot of cash with me and through a friend of a friend found a black market exchange house. It looked like a jewelry store on the outside. They buzz you in, take you to a back room and give you pesos for dollars. Of course it was nerve racking and exciting. The downside is carrying so much cash and maybe getting counterfeit bills.

I think with such a huge spread between the government controlled official exchange rate and the black market rate, Argentina is overdue for a currency devaluation. Locals want dollars as a hedge against rampant inflation, hence the black market demand.

If there is a currency devaluation then maybe things will be so cheap that Argentina will be more more attractive. Still, the big hotels will probably price their rooms in US dollars.

The gay guesthouse in Buenos Aires, Lugar Gay, was disappointing but it's right off Plaza Borrego and that's a nice part of town. The Axel Hotel was nicer in my opinion. The gay bars don't get busy until 3 am. Insane.

I thought Mendoza was lovely (so I'm not all Debbie Downer). The taxis are cheap too.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

R7 -- I was going to mention Evita's tomb at Recoleta Cenmetery. We went in August (mid winter) in late afternoon, so it was far from bright and sunny. No one around, and she's pretty far in the interior of the layout of all those attached mausoleums. Really creepy scene - kept thinking that a pack of Hounds from Hell with glowing red eyes would come careening around each corner!

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

I liked Buenos Aires, and while some of it is lovely, some does have the feeling of being third world.

Surprisingly, for such a cosmopolitan city, English is not readily spoken, so since you're an English-speaking visitor, you have to try a bit harder to get by and get around.

Buenos Aires is not like visting a European city where many speak English readily. Not so in Buenos Aires.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

Why exchange money in any country anymore? When I travel I just go to an ATM and take the money out using a debit card. No exorbitant exchange fees.

Whenever I see the fools line up at the airport at the exchange banks I always shake my head. It's stupid to exchange money in the first place, but to do it at the airport where they basically rob you blind is ridiculous.

Don't get me started on travelers checks...

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

r23, if you use an ATM in Argentina, you'll get 4.75 pesos to the dollar - the official exchange rate. If you take cash and find an unofficial exchange rate, you'll get 7.4.

I agree that in countries with free floating exchange rates, ATMs are a great way to get local cash but not in Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.