Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

JonBenet Ramsey grand jury voted to indict parents in 1999, but DA refused to prosecute

On a brilliantly clear autumn day more than 13 years ago, Boulder District Attorney Alex Hunter stepped to the podium before an anxious media horde to announce that the grand jury investigation into the death of JonBenet Ramsey had come to an end.

"I and my prosecution task force believe we do not have sufficient evidence to warrant a filing of charges against anyone who has been investigated at this time," Hunter told the reporters assembled outside the Boulder County Justice Center on Oct. 13, 1999.

Yet multiple sources, including members of the grand jury, have now confirmed to the Daily Camera what Hunter did not say that day: The grand jury voted to indict both John and Patsy Ramsey on charges of child abuse resulting in death but then-District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to sign the indictment and prosecute the case.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

Ain't that America?

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

What was Alex Hunter's payoff?

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

Alex Hunter's son died of alcohol and painkiller in 2010. Suicide?

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

The OP of this thread is a Sandy Hook "truther" ....

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Patsy has well-acquitted herself here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Why would a DA take it before a grand jury if he wasn't willing to accept its decision? He might do it knowing he couldn't get an indictment, but that at least lets him off the hook.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

The sky was so blue that day...

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

Even though it was pretty obvious to everybody who was following the case that somebody in that house that night had murdered the little girl, my guess is that Hunter felt he didn't have a strong enough case to convict any one family member on specific charges, and so he decided to let it go in hopes that somebody involved would either confess or rat on somebody. In any event, they had to get out of town so it wasn't his problem any more.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

I don't remember Mr. Hunter saying the grand jury voted to indict. Instead, I believe he implied the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

Could be he thought he'd wait for evidence strong enough to convict, some slip-up on their part.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

[quote] Why would a DA take it before a grand jury if he wasn't willing to accept its decision

Because that's an investigative tool with teeth. You can't subpoena someone to your office.

It's his call.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

I'm a bit suspicious of this information. The proceedings of a Grand Jury including any decision to indict are secret. So where is this info coming from. There are only a limited number of persons who would be aware of this and there is a criminal penalty for revealing GJ secrets.

Witnesses may reveal what they were asked and their answers if they choose but they wouldn't know the results of or even if any vote was taken. But other participants including the grand jurors themselves or others such as court reporters are bound by GJ secrecy. Also GJs don't just vote on their own. They would only vote on charges put to them by the prosecutor.

Sounds like just more mythology in the JonBenet case. There's always someone who has to play the "insider." Maybe they can use their superhuman powers and finally get us that damn secret of Lourdes.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

We all know they did it. I can't believe we even have to still say that. It's like asking if the sky's blue. Only rich white people could get away with saying that someone killed their kid while they slept, and waited around to write a two-page ransom note, and then leave the house with no one hearing a peep. Yep, I'd pull all that crap that must have taken hours in someone's home with all them just an arms length away. I love the people who love to turn this into a soap opera. It's all clean cut. Parents killed killed their kid, and were rich and white. The end. People who make up these elaborate scenarios are brain dead. Father's a big Republican to who ran for office.

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

Fleet White tried everything. He and his wife were the the Ramseys' neighbors and closest friends. Then the Ramsey's gave the DA their names as possible suspects and the friendship was over.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Hold on there r14, that's like saying that I did it! I was rich and - uh - not that black!

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

There is not sport in going toe-to-patent-leather-toe with amateurs.

I played the cancer card and they never even saw it coming.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

R14 has a chip on her shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

The article is pretty clear about where this is coming from and gets pretty specific about the legal questions (secrecy, the obligation of a DA to sign an indictment).

So what part seems suspect? Do you think Bill Wise is fictional?

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

R14 Don't play the rich and white card. I agree with the rich part, but do remember that O.J. Simpson originally got away with killing his wife. He was RICH, not white. He would still be free and walking the streets if not for his armed robbery attempt later on.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

This is why America should join the rest of the Western world and not allow DA's to determine whether cases should be prosecuted or not.

In other countries these matters are determined by non-elected legal prosecutors - not those who are worried about seeking re-election.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

Very odd. If a prosecutor doesn't believe there's enough for an indictment, he or she shouldn't present the case and take a vote to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

21 22 Correct on both counts.

Alex Hunter was a politician, NOT a prosecutor.

Our system appoints Judges based on merit, not so for District Attorneys.

Alex Hunter was well known for his fear of trying felony cases & wanted to avoid annoying rich people who filled his campaign coffers.

The DA controls the presentation to the Grand Jury so it was a real shocker to Alex Hunter that despite his efforts to sabatoge the case, the Grand Jury indicted the Ramseys.

So he just ignored this fact.

Did you know that his son then married "Lisa Druck" who changed her name to Rielle Hunter & then pursued John Edwards under her New Age "persona"?

I have lots more on this case & the strange aftermath.

I was prosecuting the same kinds of cases when it happened. Local press kept interviewing me as to who I thought had killed Jonbenet. I would be in a rush to get to a real felony jury trial I was NOT afraid to try & would just wrap it up with a quick sound bite: HER MOTHER.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

Rich people get away with murder.

Some poor, hungry hobo steals a loaf of bread and goes to jail.

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2013

There was snow on the ground that night and no footprints indicating that anyone had either entered or left the house. That means it was either the mother, the father the brother...or SANTA CLAUS.

by Anonymousreply 2501/28/2013

R23 = Complete bullshit and our resident "I was there/I knew them" troll.

by Anonymousreply 2601/28/2013

R26 Your comprehension skills are sadly lacking.

I was not there you dimwit troll.

An explanation of the law might enlighten you.

Try learning the facts as well as the evidence.

Or do you just spend all your time bitching?

The pathetic life of a bitter old queen.

The Ramseys were indicted for killing JonBenét.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!