Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm really sick

I guess it is the flu. Usually when I have it is gone after a day or two. Today will be four days...

Seems like it is getting worse. I don't know what to do..

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

Flu strains are pretty rough this year. Get to a clinic or ER., if you feel you are getting worse. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

Ride it out. If you're relatively young and in good health, you don't have much to worry about.

I got the flu the day before Christmas Eve and spent the week in bed. It was miserable but after 1.5 week, the symptoms subsided and I was alive again.

Drink plenty of fluids. Remember that rest is more important than food. I didn't eat much at all during that time. I wasn't hungry, I just needed sleep.

You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

Duh see a doctor! dummy

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

If you've got the flu, the doctor can prescribe Tamiflu, which may lessen the severity and duration of the flu if taken within 36 hours of the onset of symptoms; however, you say you've had symptoms for four days. There is nothing the doctor can do to cure you now, so stay at home in bed and get enough fluids. At this point you'll just have to wait it out until your body fights off the virus. The only thing they can do at the hospital is give you IV's to keep you hydrated. So if you can take oral fluids at home don't waste everyone's time at the hospital and expose others to your flu, like some Typhoid Mary.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Next year get a flu shot like sensible people.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

drink pedia sure or its generic version. you need to replce fluids and eltrolites.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Emergen-C in hot water helped me with fluids.

Generic Nyquil helped with body aches.

I turned down the heat and layered clothing for sweats/chills.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

[quote] guess it is the flu. Usually when I have it is gone after a day or two. Today will be four days...

OP - When you have previously had the 'flu', it wasn't the flu. The flu does not go after a day or two. Even with being sick for four days, you mightn't have the flu - you might just have a common cold or a mild virus - enough to make you feel unwell and have a temperature and aches and pains, but nothing like the flu.

There's some good advice above.

In addition, apparently having a small amount of sports drink, in addition to a lot of water, can be helpful to keep ones fluids up and in balance.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

This is the year I learned my lesson I will get a flu shot. I feel better took some Alka Seltzer Plus ate some soup and drinking lots of water. I'm afraid iI won't be better by Monday if I miss more work I could be in serious trouble.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

I just don't understand why people resist flu shots? It's not only about you. You protect others as well. Feel better.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

See a doctor, but stay away from others if you can until it passes. Call in sick if you can.

Just read an article which cited an interesting study on people infected with a flu virus. It found that the virus made people more social and more willing to engage in social activities, creating more opportunities for the virus to spread. Behavioral modification by the virus to increase contagion. So, get well but be antisocial until it passes for the good of others. And see a doctor. And buy yourself some sambucol for the next time.

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

That article sounds interesting, R10. Do you have a link?

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

Actually, it's a completely fascinating article. But it isn't specifically about influenza; rather, it's about the behavioral effects of Toxoplasma gondii in humans. The influenza study is only discussed in passing at the end of the article, one of several studies being conducted on the possible behavioral effects of human parasites and disease agents.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

You'll get dehydrated. You must go to the hospital for the meds the give, anti-virals. Go now.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

I haven't had sex with someone else in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

My favorite re-hydration liquid is 1/2 OJ and 1/2 ginger ale. Mix up a few gallons, place a water bottle with a straw by your bed, and every time you regain consciousness, have a drink.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

[quote]You'll get dehydrated. You must go to the hospital for the meds the give, anti-virals. Go now.

R13, you are full of bad advice this morning, aren't you? Exactly what part of OP's update

[quote]I feel better took some Alka Seltzer Plus ate some soup and [bold]drinking lots of water.[/bold]

would make you think that he is going to be dehydrated?

Go to a hospital? When he has the flu and isn't in critical need of the services a hospital can provide? So, he should go to a likely already overcrowded ER to get antiviral drugs that are of doubtful use at this point? As the CDC notes, "studies show that flu antiviral drugs work best for treatment [bold]when they are started within two days of getting sick."[/bold] He's been sick for four days.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

Here, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

That article *was* fascinating, R10/R12.

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

I had the flu (cold?) earlier this winter, and it lasted a full two weeks before the Snot Factory finally shut down.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!