Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Canada's biggest province elects first gay Premier

Lesbian MP Kathleen Wynne was elected tonight by the Liberal Party of Ontario to become the new Premier of Canada's biggest province.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Yay Canada

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

Why hasn't this gotten more attention on DL?

It's a big story.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2013

So

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2013

I love Canada, even if it's not a real country.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2013

[quote]I love Canada, even if it's not a real country.

What does that mean? Of course it's a real country. Do you even know what you're talking about?

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2013

Quebec is Canada's biggest province. Ontario is the most populous. But congratulations to her.

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2013

R7, I was obviously referring to the fact that Ontario is the most populous. Ontario is always referred to as Canada's biggest province, and that is the correct way to report it.

It's no different than the fact that California is always referred to as America's biggest state, even though it's not actually the biggest geographically.

Did you have anything of value to add to this story?

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2013

Tradition dictates that the spouse of the Premiere of Ontario do PSA for the Hospital for Sick Children.

What will happen this year?

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2013

Who knows, R9? Have you asked Kathleen's partner? She was interviewed over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2013

[quote]What will happen this year?

My guess is that the spouse of the Premiere of Ontario will do PSA for the Hospital for Sick Children.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2013

I think R5 was making a joke. He was quoting from the SouthPark film, "Uncut, long and..."

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2013

Lifelong Ontarian here. I've never seen a PSA by the spouse of Premier in my now eldergay life. I think somebody's telling porkies.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2013

The province didn't elect her, her party elected her when the premier/leader of party stepped down. When it comes to an election, I doubt that she will win. She seems to have stepped in when there are many problems.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

[quote] I've never seen a PSA by the spouse of Premier

That is because you have never watched the Sick Kids Telethon. It is customary that the telethon opened with a 60 second PSA by the spouse of the Premier.

She also lends her name for the yearly fundraising drive for Sick Kids.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

R14, she has a tough road ahead, but she has a history of pulling off upsets.

She beat former PC leader John Tory in his own riding and also pulled an upset this weekend over Sandra Pupatello to become the first Woman Premier of Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

15 million people to be governed by a LESBIAN.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

KW was the best option. Way to go delegates!

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

I remember Kathleen Wynne defeating John Tory, over the issue of religious schools, and a Muslim lady in a hijab rushing up to kiss her! She has crossover appeal and hopefully will chip away at the NDP vote enough to keep ventriloquist dummy Hudak out of office.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

What was her position on religious schools?

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

She was against expanding the ranks of religious schools, R20. In Canada, the rights of Catholics to have their own publicly funded schools are written into the constitution, dating from a long ago time when Catholics faced discrimination.

The conservatives proposed letting other denominations and religions apply for publicly funded schools - this was NOT a popular campaign to run on, as Ontario is big on separation of church and state, Wynne defeated the conservative party leader, John Tory, ending his political career.

(BTW, despite the name, John Tory walks in the gay pride parade every year. He's no Rob Ford or Mike Harris or WhoDat? (Hudak)

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

ok, good, R21

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.