Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's 17 Degrees, My Son and His Friends are Wearing Shorts Outside

When did shorts and a hoodie become standard winter wear for boys? They absolutely refuse to wear long pants. They're 14 to 16 years old. Last winter when I picked up my son and some of his friends from school, I saw a kid wearing shorts in winter and asked the kids in my car if the kid was deranged. They said, "He's weird. Really weird. He wears shorts all year round."

Now they think it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013

I have a friend who is 60 who sometimes does the same thing. He'll wear a winter coat over a sleeveless shirt and shorts. Usually he's just running out for something quickly or heading to the gym. He doesn't wear that type of outfit outside for long, but whenever he does, I think he's INSANE.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

Do their weenies hang out.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

I bet their legs are surprisingly hairy. Pics, please, mommy.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

He's overweight.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Since he's overweight, he doesn't get as cold, and doesn't need long pants.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

This starts in Middle school and ends their Senior year. Sorry. Been there.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

And, I might add that if wearing shorts when it was chilly was ALL I ever had to freeing worry about,I would have been a therapy-free parent.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

I wonder if the son and his friends look like these guys. If I lived next door, I'd be holding my binoculars with my left hand and my throbbing cock with the other.

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

17 degrees isn't chilly, it's fucking cold. There's snow and ice and the wind chill was 0.

And I have ants in my kitchen -- in the dead of winter.

Ants and shorts in wintertime.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

r10, those guys are older and have distorted their bodies and are starting to get saggy tits.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Are they Catholic? I see Catholic schoolgirls wearing plaid skirts in cold weather.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

If the OP is posting from New Zealand then he is full of shit. It is summer in NZ right now and much hotter than 17 degrees celcius.

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

If your just going from the house to the car to school or the mall, you're not in the cold long enough for it to be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Someone from NZ wouldn't say "long pants." They would say "trousers."

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

Why, yes R10, that's them!

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

Is it 17 degrees Fahrenheit, OP? Because that's minus 8 degrees Celsius and that is cold!

But young people have good circulation and his shorts are probably long and the hoodie warm.

He wouldn't want to get stuck outside for a prolonged time, however, without gloves and a hat, if the wind starts to blow.

Re the ants, if you or others have a wood fire, the ants might have come in with the wood. Or the ants might be cold!

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

I teach middle school. Lots of the kids wear shorts all winter long.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

If he were a real man, he'd go pant-less.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

Are they wearing flip-flops too?

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

Just out of curiosity, how many of you on this thread who have children are GAY/LESBIAN???

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

WARNING...

There is a freezing rain advisory in Chicago.

DO NOT...REPEAT...DO NOT go out unless you have to, and then use EXTREME...REPEAT...EXTREME caution.

Have a great day.

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

R23: turkey basters, surrogates, adoption...

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2013

Are they white?

In "Stuff White People Like" there was an essay that described white people having "zones of cold" and "zones of warmth" thus, the ski vest/shorts look.

by Anonymousreply 2601/27/2013

I've seen boys wearing shorts on super-cold days, too. I chalkit up to idiot parents with no control over their children.

However, when I was in my 20's, I'd run around in shorts in the winter sometimes, and it didn't kill me. In the frozen Himalayas some folks run around barefoot, too.

by Anonymousreply 2701/27/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2013

I remember seeing a lot of California kids wearing shorts in November and December at college (I went to school in NYC). They were usually freshman - they soon changed their outfits.

Hopefully they'll outgrow it - they're just trying to look tough and cool. You can't catch a cold by just exposure.

Then again, women wear skirts in the winter all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2901/27/2013

I can't see an IP address. Where's that?

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

R31 - seriously? Have a bit of respect for someone's kids. Not funny and you come off as a predator.

by Anonymousreply 3201/27/2013

People in NZ and Aussie also say pants as well as trousers.

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

[quote]Hoodies were worn by blacks only, till the spic shot one and then the white liberals took it over and of course the brothers stopped wearing them, but, and here's the good part, the stupid liberals think it's still cool....

Where do you live? White kids of all ages have been wearing hoodies for decades. Little kids wear them in bright colors - darker colors for high school and college. They're normal winter wear in warmer climes like southern California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

by Anonymousreply 3601/27/2013

When I was a kid, everybody wore jeans to school in winter and I never heard anyone complaining they were too hot because they had to wear "long pants." Our next door neighbors sent their kids to Catholic school and the girls complained they were cold all winter because they had to wear skirts.

Now, all of a sudden, they start peeling off their clothes in their tweens claiming they are "too hot " Is it global warming?

Maybe schools should turn down the heat in winter to save the taxpayers money. Keep it 66 degrees in classrooms and see how the kids like their bare midriffs and miniskirts and their shorts and tee shirts.

by Anonymousreply 3701/27/2013

R29, I know you can't catch a cold by simply going out in cold weather in clothing for warm weather, but I thought it was true that when your body is working harder to keep itself warm you are more vulnerable to germs?

by Anonymousreply 3801/27/2013

You know, I figure it's not worth it to fight over it. You have to choose your battles with teenagers. I figure if he and his friends want to look like mental deficients by dressing for the beach in winter, fine. But he's going to take care of himself when he gets sick. Get your own Tylenol, make your own soup, don't complain to me how bad you feel.

But I wonder where this trend has come from? Is it skateboard culture? Surf culture? Ghetto culture? Kevin Smith?

I'm not expecting him to dress like a South Park character. Just a pair of jeans and at least a hoodie with a (dark colored) fleece lining. But no. It has to be shorts and a thin hoodie and short sleeved shirt.

They look so silly. Especially the overweight ones.

by Anonymousreply 3901/27/2013

When I was in high school we had to go outside for gym unless the temp fell below 20. The gym teacher was a Japanese fitness nut who was hired because our school wanted to win a gymnastics championship. He thought all Americans are lazy couch potatoes. So all winter, unless it was below 20, we were outside in our shorts and t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 4001/27/2013

Are you a frau, r32?

by Anonymousreply 4101/27/2013

No. Are you?

by Anonymousreply 4201/27/2013

Oops, I thought r41 was talking to me.

by Anonymousreply 4301/27/2013

This thread is a SAFE SPACE! Please do not overstep your boundaries

by Anonymousreply 4401/27/2013

[quote]Are they wearing flip-flops too?

I've seen a few guys this winter wearing long pants and a coat out in the cold ... with, yes, flip-flops.

by Anonymousreply 4501/27/2013

I wore shorts all throughout middle and high school in Colorado. Almost every day. Kids are weird.

by Anonymousreply 4601/27/2013

R46, was it because you were too warm or was it a fashion/rebel thing. Did you sweat in school if you didn't wear shorts, or was it that your friends wore shorts so you did too?

I'm not against shorts to school when it's above freezing outside, but when it's 10 degrees or 17 degrees and windy, I think it's retarded.

by Anonymousreply 4701/27/2013

[quote]I know you can't catch a cold by simply going out in cold weather in clothing for warm weather, but I thought it was true that when your body is working harder to keep itself warm you are more vulnerable to germs?

The function of the immune system isn't affected by the weather. But the rhinovirus (any of the many germs that cause the common cold) do thrive in colder temperatures. So the lower a body temperature is, the more hospitable that environment is for the rhinovirus -- & if the lower temperature persists for a prolonged period of time, the germs flourish more & more.

by Anonymousreply 4801/27/2013

I notice chavettes in the UK dress in skimpy outfits in cold weather. Bare stomachs, miniskirits, no coats. But the point of that is that they want to fuck. That's what going out in skimpy clothes and getting shitfaced drunk is all about.

by Anonymousreply 4901/27/2013

I wonder if it's come from NFL players who wear nothing covering their arms in the coldest of games. About five years ago the Packers and Giants (?) playoff game on the coldest day of the year, none of the Packers did. The wind chill that day was about 30 below. I read the rationale was macho team bonding. Testosterone causes men of all ages to do stupid things.

by Anonymousreply 5001/27/2013

*it comes

by Anonymousreply 5101/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 5201/27/2013

OP, If you don't like your kid wearing shorts in winter then don't let him do it. You are the parent.

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2013

[quote] This starts in Middle school and ends their Senior year. Sorry. Been there.

Tell that to all of the film and TV crew guys, scenic carpenters, etc., that I see on the studio lot where I work. Even wearing shorts when it's raining and in the 40s outside. And it's not like the soundstages are that warm.

by Anonymousreply 5401/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 5501/27/2013

R48 Not exactly true. There was a study that came out that studied why the flu, colds and fever seem to occur more frequently in the winter or colder temperatures. supposedly your white blood cells are distributed differently during the cold winter months.In some way that effects the immune system and people get sicker as a result.

R49 I've seen Geordies and Liverpudlian women do that!I've been to the Uk in the winter and they've given some scientific explanation as to why they don't wear coats and skimpy outfits instead. Supposedly their skin can withstand the cold.It's bullshit. The girls want to look slutty so that can get laid!

by Anonymousreply 5601/27/2013

Interesting info, R48 and r56. I do know that it is extremely rare for me to sick in the summer, even if I get caught in rainstorm and am soaked for awhile or if I am not dressed perfectly for the weather. In the winter, I am always fighting off a cold.

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2013

Could it be that more people are indoors in winter, in close contact spreading germs? People start going to malls right after thanksgiving to do Christmas shopping. School starts in September, cooping up students and teachers alike. Movies are targeted for a Christmas time audience in the theater.

When you're outdoors more, surfaces aren't constantly being touched by others and the air clears with wind, whereas if someone sneezes in a mall, the air is being recirculated. that sneeze is going to last longer and maybe e aero sized by a climate control system.

by Anonymousreply 5801/27/2013

That's been happening for over 20 years on college campuses all over America.

In college, I once saw a frat boy walking to class from his frat house in 20 degree weather with shorts, flip flops and snow/ice on the ground. I was thinking ...WTF?

by Anonymousreply 5901/27/2013

R57, I'm with you. If I am not wearing a scarf and a hat on a cold day, then I will wake up with post nasal drip....then turns into a full blow cold or sometimes the flu. Happened this past Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 6001/27/2013

Don't they have coat checks in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 6101/27/2013

I LOVE seeing a hot guy in flip-flops in winter... it's like he's such a slutty exhibitionist that he just HAS to show his feet off no matter how cold it is!

by Anonymousreply 6201/27/2013

What kind of people obsess about what other people are wearing? You have some serious defects if you talk about other people as if you should have some input in what they wear.

And for the idiots who think cold temperatures promote colds, you're... well... an idiot. They only thing about winter that makes transmission easier is dry indoor air.

by Anonymousreply 6301/27/2013

You can tell they are gay if they do that.

by Anonymousreply 6401/27/2013

[quote] What kind of people obsess about what other people are wearing?

Parents. They are involved in what their kids wear because ultimately, the parents will be blamed if kids are underdressed or outrageously dressed. "How can parents allow their children to leave the house like that?"

by Anonymousreply 6501/27/2013

[quote]I have a friend who is 60 who sometimes does the same thing. He'll wear a winter coat over a sleeveless shirt and shorts. Usually he's just running out for something quickly or heading to the gym. He doesn't wear that type of outfit outside for long, but whenever he does, I think he's INSANE.

The 'all fur coat and no knickers' meme springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 6601/27/2013

It's gonna be 60 here in NYC on Wed. Looking forward to the college guys breaking out the muscle slut tees, cargo shorts, and flip flops if only for the one day. Salivating as I type.

by Anonymousreply 6701/28/2013

My son would do the same thing...with his ass hanging out of his shorts

by Anonymousreply 6801/28/2013

Guys did this 25 years ago when I was in college. It's nothing new, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6901/28/2013

Frau thread.

by Anonymousreply 7001/28/2013

r68, we need pics

by Anonymousreply 7101/28/2013

R69, the same guys are now middle-aged men, and they still wear shorts. It is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 7201/28/2013

[quote] [R69], the same guys are now middle-aged men, and they still wear shorts. It is pathetic.

You're right. Here on LI you see fat middle aged guys wearing baggy shorts to their knees and tent-like tee shirts, sandals and a shaved head. It's SO disgusting. In fact, I was surprised that Danny Schuler, the husband of Wrong Way Minivan Mom, hadn't yet shaved his fat head. They wear shorts in winter because they're fat. Hey -- they're the Lena Dunham of men.

by Anonymousreply 7301/28/2013

Shorts in the winter on fat men isn't nearly as bad as pajama bottoms. Not sweats. Flannel or cotton pajama bottoms. Dear God.

by Anonymousreply 7401/28/2013

This thread is useless without pictures.

by Anonymousreply 7501/28/2013

[quote] Shorts in the winter on fat men isn't nearly as bad as pajama bottoms. Not sweats. Flannel or

They pretty much had those in the 80s. They were called jams.

by Anonymousreply 7601/28/2013

I thought jams were shorts.

by Anonymousreply 7701/28/2013

For you young people -- I present a Jammily Family.

by Anonymousreply 7801/28/2013

I thought those were Hammer pants. God, was I out of touch. I graduated college in '87. My head must have been elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 7901/28/2013

This isn't a new phenomenon. In college, the frat douches used to wear shorts in the winter as a sign of their "manliness." These were the same guys who routinely date raped the girls on campus.

My nephew and his friends do this and their in their late teens and early 20s. They look like idiots. They'll understand someday.

by Anonymousreply 8001/28/2013

Ugh, "they're in their late teens and early 20s." I should have proofread.

by Anonymousreply 8101/28/2013

My sister had 2 boys in the 80s who would wear nothing but Jams. They wouldn't even wear jeans. Joey Buttafuoco used to wear jams in his 30s--so low class.

by Anonymousreply 8201/28/2013

Somebody mentioned Mark Zuckerberg. It's true my son and his friends like Zuckerberg. They love Facebook and I think he is to them what Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were to an older generation. They like that a young guy is a zillionaire and he gets to wear his pajamas and flip flops in public and in winter because nobody can tell him what to do anymore. Nobody is the boss of him!

by Anonymousreply 8301/28/2013

Considering Steve Jobs died decades before his time due to his control issues, tell them he is not exactly someone to emulate.

by Anonymousreply 8401/28/2013

Let 'em get stuck outside for a long time and have frostbite set in -- that'll school 'em. Wonder if anyone DICK has ever gotten frostbitten.

by Anonymousreply 8501/28/2013

They don't emulate Steve Jobs, they emulate Mark Zuckerberg. Steve Jobs was "an old guy" to them, while Zuckerberg still seems young to them.

by Anonymousreply 8601/28/2013

Mama, are you there? It's 50 degrees outside today. Are your son and his friends outside without shirts today?

by Anonymousreply 8701/29/2013

I'm older and I do that all the time, my legs are somewhat hairy, but not enough to keep them warm. The cold just doesn't bother me, and I will always wear shorts.

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.