Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Rachel, Rachel'

The 1968 film "Rachel, Rachel," which is about a sad and lonely 35-year-old Connecticut school teacher, was produced and directed by Paul Newman and stars wife Joanne Woodward and Estelle Parsons (with James Olsen and Kate Harrington).

It aired Saturday on Turner Classic Movies. It was in memory of what had been Newman's birthday, Jan. 26. It would have been his 88th.

"Rachel, Rachel" was adapted from the 1966 novel "A Jest of God," by Margaret Lawrence.

What does Datalounge posters think of this film?

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

Was it the inspiration for "R-chelle, R-chelle" A Young Girl's Journey from Moscow to Minsk?

(Still don't know why we can't use that name on DL!)

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

love the film, op.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

In 2013, Rachel would be taking out her psychological problems on fellow employees at her corporation, where she'd be Director of HR.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

Seen it several times. I wish Newman had kept directing like this.

Love the scene where her nosy mother finds her douchebag and screams, "Why couldn't you get married like your sister?!".

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Surprised how open and honest it was. Upset me a little.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

Am I the only one who saw "Rectal, Rectal"?

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

I had tickets to see it on Broadway with Bette Midler, but she was injured in a softball game.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

In its raw approach to sex and 60s cinematic melancholy drama it's very dated. The kind of movie people would have liked as it presented the trappings of loneliness, repression and desire, of what it is to be a middle-aged single respectable woman with longings, but none of its truth.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!