Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: "Fruitvale" Wins Grand Jury Prize at Sundance

Film about a real-life shooting at an Oakland BART station.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Is this based on the shooting committed by the transit cop? Remember, he shot a handcuffed man in the back as he lay on the platform? And his excuse was that he thought he was shooting the man with his taser and not his pistol.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

R1 Yes, that's the story. Chad Michael Murray plays the transit cop. Octavia Spencer is in it, too. The victim's name is "Oscar." Prophetic?

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

Also won the audience award at Sundance. First film to win both since "Precious" in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

The outcome of that case deserved a big old fashioned riot.

But all the Oakland kids did was throw shoes.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Horrible title.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Oakland? oh my.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

Biased as Hell.

I'm not even conservative, but they have a point with some of the PC bullshit that comes out of Hollywood.

I'm not saying the guy deserved it, but that totally sanitized his life and the incident leading up to his death.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

I was going to say something similar r7 but you said it best. The film is agenda-driven.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

Oscar was no choirboy,but the Kraut was trigger happy and a liar.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

The officer looked stunned when he shot the guy. I believe he really did think it was his taser.

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

CMM is in a good movie?

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

[quote]CMM is in a good movie?

Every once in a while, an actor lucks out.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

The title is unfortunate, although that is the name of the station where it happened.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

[R7] you nailed it. I am already fed up with those movies. I can see them winning awards on the basis of perpetuating white guilt. Everyone critical of it will be of course labelled as racist or conservative. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

Oh lord, the KKKweens at DL have a new target, site unseen.

2013-14 Awards season on DL will be fun. Harvey Weinstein is behind this film, which means in about 10 months it will be EVERYWERE, and the black leads will probably be nominated for Oscars.

And the white racist gay heads on DL will explode.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

Just got back from seeing it.

I thought it was a good movie with some incredible performances. Octavia Spencer will get another Oscar nomination at a bare minimum.

I honestly didn't recognize Chad Michael Murray.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2013

They changed the name of the movie. At Sundance, it was "Fruitvale," but now it's called "Fruitvale Station." (Fruitvale is a neighborhood in Oakland.)

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!