Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you ever wander your city's downtown, late at night?

All alone, whistling in the cold?

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2013

I do, it helps me pick up tricks

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

It's never lonely in downtown London late at night, but it is often a big pain dodging drunken hordes and puddles of vomit.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

I've seen some things that a woman ain't s'posed to see....

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

I have definitely wandered but not whistling as I went. Usually it's spurred by deep depression.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

Well, the walking late at night part, but not the whistling thing. There's too many crazies in SF and if I did that, I'd look like one of them.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

Just to walk my dog.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

Downtown is two blocks away. It's one block long so there's not a lot of area to wander. A bank, three stores, a bar, a restaurant and a small park make up downtown.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

UC Hastings r5 ?

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

I walk

Around the block

For cock

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

I used to when I only lived a mile away. Now it would be big hassle.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

I go out walkin' after midnight, out in the moonlight, just hopin' you will be somewhere out walking, after midnight, searching for mee-eee.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

whistle while you work

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

I have, and I've been stopped, detained and checked for warrants twice by a city cop named Brandon.

Brandon always gets his man.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

No, not anymore. Am too old to run away from smooth criminals. Didn't whistle, but used to walk home drunk from the bars, talking loudly to myself and quoting lines from Star Trek to keep the muggers and real crazies away.

@r9, UC Hastings wouldn't waste time on the DL. More like Golden Gate, USF, or one of the now-defunct schools like Lincoln or New College of CA.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

[quote]walk home drunk from the bars, talking loudly to myself and quoting lines from Star Trek to keep the muggers and real crazies away.

That works?

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

Anyone who speaks of London's "downtown" is a loony. Plus anyone who thinks Victoria is the City Center is clueless.

Victoria and Pimlico are no more "downtown" than is Soho (London's Soho) or Knightbridge. You could at least try to make a case for the City, but I've seen a lot of deserted streets in the City late at night.

And, for what it's worth, OP, I wander all the neighborhoods mentioned late - I've only been really hassled twice.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

You wander downtown Philly late at night and then let me know how that works out for ya.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

I walk the city late at night. Does everyone here do the same? I want to be the things I see, Give every face and place my name. I cross the street, take a right, Pick up the pace, pass a fight. Did I grow up just to stay home?

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

I do this when I'm alone and life is getting me down.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

In the 90's my partner and I walked the entire length of Central Park in NYC between 1-2am in the middle of Winter. The trees had no leaves and the paths were well-lit. Felt perfectly safe. The streets of Manhattan felt even safer at that hour.

Would never even consider walking anywhere in Golden Gate Park or any other park in my hometown after dark, alone or not. Would feel more comfortable walking around Downtown Oakland late at night.

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2013

Absolutely NOT.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

How can you lose? The lights are much brighter there! Forget all your troubles, forget all your cares! Maybe you know some little places to go where they never close?

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

This is what I do late at night. Listen for the Ice Whistle at 2:03.

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

I have...when Gotham is quiet.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2013

My GAWD, r24.

by Anonymousreply 2601/27/2013

[quote]All alone, whistling in the cold?

Sure, singing this.

by Anonymousreply 2701/27/2013

When you're alone and life is makng you lonely you can always go DOWNTOWN. When you've got worries all the noise & the hurry seems to help, I know, DOWNTOWN.

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2013

I want to, and have in the past, but as a woman walking alone at night in the city, I've had more near misses then I'm comfortable with.

by Anonymousreply 2901/27/2013

r27, thank you for posting that. I haven't heard that in years. Haunting, lovely and absolutely one the best things she ever did.

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

I have in Philadelphia, both in the past and recently, but it was usually with a friend or friend after a late night or walking with my dog. It's quite eerie very early in the morning with that overall silence in an otherwise busy and noisy city.

by Anonymousreply 3101/27/2013

I was on an assignment in St. Louis.

The streets of downtown St. Louis were strangely deserted at high noon on nice weekday afternoons.

I was staying at a downtown hotel and was told to never go out after dark. Glad that was only a week long assignment.

by Anonymousreply 3201/27/2013

R24 OMG. Mrs. Miller is the best!

I swear, she quit show business and became my grade school's music teacher. That's exactly what our teacher sounded like!

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

I was walking the downtown area last night, it's a failry small dowtown, two streets, and I saw two cops sucking each other off in the car.

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2013

I do wander about, but it is usually too chilly for caftan wearing, sooo I abandoned that habit.

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2013

I go walking after dark, people think I'm craaaazy, what's a matta wit you, boy?

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2013

I walked from the East Village up to 32nd St one morning in early January at 4 AM. I was on 5th Ave most of the time (figured it would be safest) and it was absolutely deserted. It was raining lightly, and for much of the way I was the only one on the street, there were hardly any cars out either. It was incredibly eery, the traffic lights changed but no cars came, I saw a few homeless people milling about picking up trash and talking to themselves. I had no idea Manhattan ever got like that.

by Anonymousreply 3702/23/2013

I go walkin' after midnight

by Anonymousreply 3802/23/2013

Midnight, not a sound from the pavement, has the moon lost her memory, she is crying alone...

I remember a time when I knew what happiness meant...let the memory live again...

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2013

R37, I know exactly what you mean, but in my case was from the point of view of a taxi. I lived in NYC in the 80's, worked as a legal assistant, had one job with a TON of overtime, and whenever I worked till 3:00 a.m, 4:00 a.m. and took a cab home, the city (usually Madison Avenue) seemed SO deserted, quiet, "peaceful" - guess 4:00 is a good time!

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!