Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I want to make spinach dip for my bridge club

Please share your favorite recipes. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

Bridge? Spinach?

I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

Go to store. Buy spinach dip.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

Go with Velvita and Rotel, white trash Tex-Mex classic.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

Just use the recipe off the back of a Knorr's package. It's easy, fine, and basically what everyone expects anyway.

Other than that, just go buy it from Trader Joe's or Costco. It's cheap, easy, and your guests probably don't have a sophisticated palate anyway (obviously not if you're going to serve Spinach Dip).

So do either of the above, stuff it in a bread bowl and forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

OP, I will give you my aunt Fayrene's recipe, then it's THREAD CLOSED.

1 box or bag frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze out as much of the water as possible in paper towels.

1 can water chestnuts, chopped up finely.

4 scallions, greens and whites, chopped.

1 pint sour cream.

1 package Knorr's vegetable soup mix, dry.

1 tbs mayonaisse.

Mix all ingredients together very well. Chill one hour, then transfer to a medium size glass bowl.

Locate Hawaiian bread in the orange package. This is only sold in some stores but it's the ONLY thing to serve with this dip. Crackers or other bread won't wow your guests in the same way.

Cut a small circle out of the loaf of bread and place the spinach dip bowl inside. Cover with saran wrap. When you arrive at the party tear 1/4 of the loaf into chunks and place around the plate the loaf and dip are in. You will be the talk of the party!!!

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

R2 has the best advice. It's in the deli department at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

Want me to help with that?

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

The one at Costco is amazing. Better than homemade.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

So your Aunt's recipe is the Knorr's recipe served with King's Hawaiian rolls.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

The bought kind is full of Miracle Whip and salmonella and regret.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

While R4 and R5 might have posted with good intent, I think it's best if you do a little research on Knorr products before you commit to buy. Read the ingredients panel, and you will find that nearly all Knorr products have MSG listed as a chief component.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

I've seen Hawaiian rolls, but never a loaf of bread.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

I'm impressed you have a bridge club. My roommates and I played with friends in college, but I haven't played a hand since then.

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

They're going to be eating Spinach Dip... I don't think they're going to be that worried about the MSG content.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

Hi Grandma!

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2013

Call Sophia and Dorothy, you old cow.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2013

Bridge club? Spinach dip? What is this, 1957?

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2013

Trade joes. $3.99. Box of Triscuits.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2013

Spinach dip is hip and I envy anyone who has a bridge club.

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2013

A little trick our cook at the club would add is grilled lobster meat diced up , of course I made a meal of it!!

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

I was touring Prince Edward Island and in the tiny town of Victoria found the most marvelous set of bridge dishes for candy. They are glass, each a different color, and in the shape of a diamond, club, heart, and whatever the other card shape is. Pink, blue, green, and yellow.

I don't play bridge, but if someday I do, I shall purchase bridge mix for them. I happen to like spinach dip too, although never made it. I thought there was cream cheese in there too.

Oh, and the place I bought the bridge dishes was a big old Victorian house painted many different colors. It was so pretty. The couple who lived there had a shop in the parlor, also sold things embelleshed with vintage ribbon floral designs. There was a chocolate factory in town and we dined on lobster rolls overlooking the water.

I enjoyed Prince Edward Island but nearby Nova Scotia is so much more unspoiled.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

R5 has a good recipe, but not enough mayo. It needs 2 cups of sour cream and mayo total--change the proportion to whatever you prefer. You can also substitute Greek yogurt for a lighter version. Also, a pumpernickel or sour dough boule is preferable to that sweet Hawaiian bread. I hate sweet and savory together, but that's me.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

I am no Aunt Fayrene but I have a good recipe of the "packaged soup" variety.

Blend one package of Lipton or any similar brand of powdered vegetable soup mix with one cup of mayo. Add one softened block of Philadelphia cream cheese and a tablespoon of lemon juice and blend till consistent. Stir in two packages of cooked and very well-drained frozen spinach. Drain two small tins of smoked oysters in oil and stir in the oysters. Add a bit of the drained oyster oil if you wish. Transfer the mixture into one medium-sized or two or three smaller baking dishes and bake it in a 350 degree oven until the top edges start to brown - 20-25 minutes, keep an eye on it. Delicious cold but best served warm.

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!