Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm starting a very low calorie bariatric diet

I'm the one who posted about the pace of my weight gain scaring me. I found a university-run clinic that initiates wt loss with a diet of 700-800 calories per day, increasing only slightly as you reach your goal weight. I have 70 lbs to lose. They monitor you weekly with blood draws, vitals, MD/dietician visits and they off support groups.

Anticipated weight loss is 3-5 lbs/wk.

Wish me luck.

by Anonymousreply 6404/21/2013

Best of luck to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

That's extremely severe. Please make sure you do the follow ups so yo know you are staying healthy.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

Won't work, OP.

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

A surprising dearth of pointless bitchery-- thanks for the kind words.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

That diet does sound harsh, I am glad you are being monitored and not doing it yourself. Best of luck and keep us posted. Has anyone out there been on a similar diet to OP?

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

Best of luck, it's a hard struggle but you're going about it the right way, with medical supervision. Please let us know how you get on, if for nothing else just to get some encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

When I google Bariatric diet, I only get info on surgery. Is this something new?

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

That diet sounds crazy OP. When I lost weight I got on a 1200 cal a day diet and lost 12 pounds the first week, 10 pounds the next and 5+ pounds every week after for a few months. I lost over 60 pounds in less than 2 months. I was walking every day so there was also exercise involved.

I would be scared to start at such a severe caloric depletion since it fucks up your metabolism if you keep that up for a period of time.

If you eat that little you'll be losing 10 pounds in the first week (if you're over 300 pounds) and get to the '70' pounds in 3-4 months w/o exercise, faster with some exercise (e.g. walking, low impact/easy on the knees cardio).

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

Bariatric simply refers to weight loss--hence bariatric surgery is surgery designed to cause weight loss, bariatric diet a diet for weight loss (diet simply means what people or animals eat).

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

With a Lap-Band I know it's not hard to eat 700-800 calories a day. In fact, I have to make an effect to be sure I'm eating more than that. I went from someone who was always hungry to not caring one bit about food.

The weight loss was slow. It doesn't really start for a few months afterward when you get "fills" tightening the band. But, when it starts it's about 1 or 2 lbs. a week. It may sound too slow, but it's effortless and before I knew it I had lost 80 pounds with no problems of "loose skin", muscle tone loss or any danger of gaining it back.

With the gastric bypasses, I've seen people lose dramatic amounts of weight quickly, then begin to "cheat" and eventually stretch their little pouch-like stomach to a full-size stomach and gain it all back. That's why I opted for Lap-band, there's no "cheating" or stretching a silicone band, so the weight stays off.

Plus, it apparently hits a nerve around your stomach and instead of your brain telling you you're constantly hungry, it feels like you're pretty much satisfied all the time. Food is almost forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

Like R11 said, it sounds like a low cal/high protein diet. Accd to website:

Pre bariatric surgery diets typically begin 2 to 3 months before gastric bypass surgery. Depending on a person's health, weight and body composition, bariatric surgery candidates are generally put on a diet by their surgeon or dietician ranging from 800-1200 calories per day, and consisting of 70-120 grams of protein each day. The diet also typically calls for a much lower intake of carbohydrates and dietary fat, especially refined sugars and saturated fat.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

I want Cock-Band surgery, where I have the feeling of a cock down my throat all day.

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

The problem with these kinds of diets is that you have to permanently change how you eat. A lot of people on stringent diets lose a lot of weight but then go back to their old eating habits gaining weight pretty quickly. You have to be vigilant and not let yourself do that.

Good luck to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

R13 Actually pre-bariatric diets aren't all that restrictive. The pre-LapBand program I went through was about a year of all sorts of tests, psych eval, support groups, etc. All designed to be educational, but also to "weed out" the people who weren't prepared to take the surgery, recovery and life post-surgery seriously.

There was no specific diet, but in order to have the surgery candidates were required to have lost 5% of their body weight from the time they started the process. I went to my doctor, Jan 2nd of the year I had my surgery, was "officially" weighed (I had a copy of the documentation), I was serious enough that I finished all "the steps" by August of that year-it took most people about twice that time, and losing the 5% was very do-able.

A Tip: Jan. 2nd is probably the best time to have your first weigh-in, since it's right after the whole Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas-New Year's "eating holidays."

The reason for the 5% requirement is because a person losing weight actually has a smaller liver than someone gaining weight. It makes the surgery, especially if it's laparoscopic, safer. I don't know why exactly-but it's what I was told.

The most important thing I can say is this: Don't be ashamed by having to do this. People who are overweight, chubby, fat, even obese, have tons of self-control. They're not, and I wasn't, self-indulgent, lazy or some sort of glutton. People who are naturally thin have no idea how much food we DIDN'T eat in our lifetimes, how much we deprived ourselves, how guilty we felt.

The truth is we are simply the product of evolution. We are here because our ancestors could survive starvations, could store fat efficiently and had lived for generations upon generations-going back millions of years-barely ever having enough to eat and intuitively seeking out more food. We live in a world of fast-food outlets everywhere (99 cent "value meals"), candy bars surrounding every cash register, awash in soda and most importantly of all; a whole industry dedicated to the science of making high calorie, high sugar, high fat food irresistibly addictive, and I do mean addictive.

Almost no one understood why I had Lap-band surgery. "You're not that big," they all said, and in a world where sweatpants and T-shirts come in size XXXL, a culture where diabetes is a rite of passage that comes along with cholesterol, erectile dysfunction and high blood pressure drugs-maybe I wasn't.

But, I didn't want to be part of that world, and with Lap-band I'll never have to be. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I would never advise anyone to have gastric by-pass, but Lap-band is a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

R16. What a well thought out, reasoned response, a bit of a rarity on this site. Well done for taking control of your health. I hope OP has similar success.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

How are you doing OP? I wish you luck. You can do t especially being monitored with a great support system.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

R16, if a heavy person isn't eating a lot normally, and I don't doubt this, as I have a relative who was heavy and didn't eat a lot, who I lived with for a couple of years, how would a lap band help? It seems restricting food wouldn't help if the person doesn't eat much anyway. Wouldn't it be better if doctors found a way to increase the metabolism? Without addiction, such as happens with people who take speed, meth, or coke to lose weight or keep it down.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

R19 I guarantee that is you measured every bite that person took in you would find they are eating too many calories.

I knew a young teen who was eating 'very little' and 'always starving' but she at 3 dry toasted bagels a day and it turned out they had 700 calories each, that along with the little bit else she ate came to almost 3,000 calories.

That is why she was fat and starving.

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

8 pounds off the first week. I eat (drink) so frequently that I'm rarely hungry, but I fell like I'm withdrawing from junk food...almost broke down on Saturday night but managed to keep on the diet. Thanks for asking...

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

Does anyone know if this type of diet is offered and medically monitored for those who DON'T want to have surgery?

If I have 80lbs to lose, is there such a restrictive diet I could be on and be supervised with? (That is, without going to some expensive in-patient fat person program?)

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

According to Calorie King, an average dry toasted bagel has 285 calories. No idea where you got that astronomical 700 calorie figure, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

Calorie King bases it's calories on the standard frozen bagel available nationwide.

NY has individual bagel shops that make a much denser bagel at more calories than that normally. In addition some of them do flavors and add yet even more sugar driving up the calories to 700 and slightly above.

I think HH proudly used to say their bagel was about 500 calories.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

Weight Gain after weight loss has less to do with habits and more to do with the body. Whatever weight you are be it 300 pounds or 110 soaking wet, the body wants to stay at that weight. When you lose weight, you lower your BMR - the rate at which you burn calories in a day. Say you drop 100 pounds down to 200. You would burn less calories a day than a person who was always 200 pounds, that is the body's way of trying to get back to that 300. It can be as much as 20% less calories. So there you are 200 lbs and happy and you think you need 2000 calories a day to maintain when it is actually 1800. That extra 200 will creep the pounds back on. 700-800 is pretty severe. I have seen more success with what they call carb cycling. Basically you spend 6 days on a low carb diet of no more than 30 grams of carbs a day - all the fat and protein you want (the more protein the better) and then you get a cheat day. On that seventh day you start out with a protein breakfast - then starting at lunch pig out. Cake, pie, ice cream, doughnuts, any mean at Cheesecake Factory. It is not just a reward, it resets your hormones to burn more fat as you go back into your low carb week. It also makes a low carb diet easier to do as you get one day a week to eat that Ben and Jerry's.

Bodybuilders have been doing it for years - called carb backloading - where you can eat all the crap you want right after a High intensity work out. Strength training is key as well. The more muscle mass you add the higher your BMR will be. You don't need a lot of it either. 1 hour a week is perfect if you do a High Intensity workout (basically work out each major muscle group to exhaustion with little rest between sets and you don't need a gym you can do all that with a kettle bell at home).

If you combined a carb cycling diet, 1 hour of High Intensity work out a week (with 6 days between - you need to let the muscles recover) - you would lose a lot of fat fast, and build muscle and probably look better than you ever did in your life.

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

From the NY Times

Weighing In on Bagels Published: June 19, 2001

Sign In to E-Mail Print

To the Editor:

I am a registered dietitian and most of my patients come to me for weight loss. In our discussions of the calories in traditional New York foods, the bagel is at the top of the list.

Patients are shocked when I tell them that whenever they eat a New York bagel, they are eating the equivalent of a quarter to more than a half loaf of bread. This is because a New York bagel, by weight, can range in size from 4 ounces to 10 ounces. The U.S.D.A. determined that a 3.8-ounce bagel has about 302.5 calories.

Each bagel ounce is therefore about 80 calories. The typical New York bagel contains 320 to 800 calories for one plain bagel before cream cheese, butter or seeds are factored in. My nutritional advice to those watching their diets is to eat only the outside of the bagel or just half of it -- and use the other half to feed the birds in the park.

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

R20 did not specify it was a NY bagel. It's ridiculous for bagels to deliberately be turned into high calorie bombs. I suppose it's the NY equivalent of that insane bowl being sold at KFC.

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

I never saw my mother actually eat a meal, and she was always overweight. All her health problems stemmed from that.

I have problems with Pre-Diabetes, BP & cholesterol. I've decided to stop trying diets. I'm in my 50's. I'm about 50-60 lbs overweight. I'm changing the way I eat. Forever.

No more processed foods, eating a lot more veggies, rarely eat any bread. Maybe once a week. Chicken & Fish,beans, no sodas. Drink a lot of water, get a good night's sleep, exercise.

I've found that when I exercise regularly, every day, my BP and my sugar drop. If I stop exercisng for two or three days, they creep back up. It's that simple.

I've learned to appreciate other seasonings besides salt, but I do still use salt, just less. The only oil I use is olive oil. Brown Rice (rarely, but I do eat it now & then) yogurt, cottage cheese.

I feel so much better and I am eating in a way that I can sustain for the rest of my life. I eat smaller portions and I eat more often. I used to eat a late morning breakfast then eat dinner around 8 PM. I'd "snack" in between.

Now,I eat often. Maybe it's a handfull of almonds and two-three inches worth of a banana. Maybe a piece of smoked Turkey (the only lunchmeat I ever use) wrapped around a stick of celery.

It's easy to change your habits, it's not inconvenient, and it is actually cheaper too. I've only lost six pounds so far over two months, but I don't even care. I know this will work for me.

One thing I have noticed. Once you make the change to eating better, you lose your taste for the things that used to get you in trouble. I don't buy chips or snacks, or cookies. I don't miss them.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

R27 he said they had 700 calories each, extrapolate.

This is not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

What do you eat for breakfast, R28? That seems to be the hardest meal to do without carbs.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

You can have an omelet, no carbs.

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

I know, R31, but is an omelet every day realistic? I would get bored with eating a daily omelet, not to mention cooking it.

The reason I asked is that breakfast is the meal that gives me the most trouble. I suppose I should go back to eating non-breakfast food. This morning I ate broccoli.

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

That's great, OP, if you plan to stay on that program all your life.

If you don't learn how to eat right, maintain a healthy diet, exercise and lose weight as a result of those actions, you'll never keep the weight off.

Good luck to you, OP. And welcome to a life of yo-yo dieting.

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

Broccoli contains carbs...I thought you said no carb?

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

Could somebody take a shot at answering the question @ R22?

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

R22, the program I am in does not involve surgery, it's diet only. It's through UCLA, I think other large research universities have them (Michigan for one).

R33, they have support groups and behavior modification classes to help you with maintenance, and you're supposed to go as long as you want/need. It's supposed to help you prepare for and achieve maintenance. 60% of participants have maintained most or all of their weight loss at 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 3602/04/2013

R22 Yes.

You can do it as an outpatient.

Contact your Doctor or local hospital. Tell them you want to go on the post surgical bariatric diet, but not have the surgery.

You do want the testing and supervision that accompanies it.

IF you stick to it you will lose weight.

However if you have what it takes to stick to something that restrictive then you probably don't need it.

Use that self-discipline to eat less.

Just eat less, every day and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3702/04/2013

R34, the reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble with no-carb breakfast. I thought that was apparent from my questions.

by Anonymousreply 3802/04/2013

When I lived in NYc and went to weight watchers, the woman running the class told us to triple whatever a calorie counter said a bagel or a slice of pizza was, because or bagels and pizza slices didn't resemble what people were eating in the rest of the country.

When I was in grad school, Tony's bagel shop on 23rd street sold a bagel and a large coffee or tea for 99 centsv($1.08 with tax). It was my dinner every night I had classes. It had about 1/4 lb of cream cheese on it.

by Anonymousreply 3902/04/2013

There are good carbs and bad carbs. I try to stick with a low carb diet not a no carb diet.I also try, when eating grains to eat the ones with at least 3 grams of fiber per serving. Fiber is important to weight loss.

For breakfast I usually eat unsweetened 0% fat, Greek yogurt with fruit, and a low sugar grain cereal like Grape nuts. Or a dish of oatmeal. Stay away frm any cereal with raisins. Too sweet.

I switch that off with an egg white omelet (one whole egg, two egg whites) and a slice of multi grain toast. Smetimes I'll eat a sice of hard cheddar cheese with a sice of turkey. It depends.

One thing I forgot to mention before. Fruit juices. Stay away from them. They are too high in sugar content and they inhibit weight loss. If you must have fruit juice go with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. It's a natural diuretic. (So are asparagus.)

In fact, a 4 oz glass of grapefruit juice, coffee with caffeine in it, combined with a slice of whole grain bread topped with hard cheese (lower in fat than soft cheeses) is a good breakfast.

Remember. You aren't going to eat these big three course meals anymore. You are going to graze several times a day. You'll never feel hungry, you will never feel too full.

It's very freeing to not have to worry about eating in the traditional way as in people eating these big meals two or three ties a day. Going to a restarant and ordering the appetizer and some soup or salad is very satisfying and it's usually all I want.

by Anonymousreply 4002/04/2013

Excellent reply @ R40.

Something that works for me:

Think about your total caloric/carb or protein/fasting or restriction/exercise whatever you do through the week - think of it in terms of the ENTIRE week. 7 days. Not, "was I perfect today?" or wtf will you obsess over TOMORROW, but generally over the course of the week.

Makes it easier.

by Anonymousreply 4102/04/2013

7 more pounds for a total of 15 lost in 2 weeks. I'm noticing a difference in my clothes.

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2013

Great job OP!

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2013

I'm having sleeve gastectomy surgery in a couple of weeks - they remove most of your stomachm leaving a souch the size of a banana.

My insurance required six months of pre-surgery dieting. I lost 100 pounds BEFORE the surgery. I should lose 150 in the year following.

My post surgery diet will be Protein ONLY for the first three months. Three meals a day consisting of four ounces of meat, fish, eggs or low fat cheese. In between meals I can have 2 servings each of sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, and plain chicken or beef broth.

After three months I can add 1 serving a day of vegetables. After six months, I add 1 serving fo fruit. After a year, one serving of starch (whole grain bread or brown rice or whole wheat pasta).

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2013

I hope the OP loses 100 pounds and shows all you stupid homos up.

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2013

I'm on the Old People's Excrement diet. Haven't dropped a pound yet but i eat all I want!

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2013

Can someone clarify 2 things for me.

Broccoli is a carb ???? I thought it was a veggie and therefore OK.

Raisins are to be avoided ???? I thought they were a fruit and therefore OK.

by Anonymousreply 4802/10/2013

Keep us informed about how you do post op.

I'm thinking about doing the sleave surgery as well. I'd like to know how things go with you.

by Anonymousreply 4902/10/2013

Broccoli has carbs but fiber is a carb so not counted as it actually helps burn fat. OP I wish you much success. 700-800 is strict and takes a lot of willpower. Please please incorporate weight training into your exercise routine though. Areobics will burn fat but do nothing to build muscle and muscle is the key to keeping off the pounds. Remember when Oprah lost all that weight using optifast? She gained it all back and more even though we saw Bob Green training her day after day on the treadmill. I know a few people that have done severe calorie restricted diets and lost a ton of weight fast. Two things happened, they either gained it back because they had no retraining of how they ate or became calorie obsessed meaning they ate to the calorie what they were allowed that day and nothing more.

Weight training lets you forget a lot of that. It burns calories - even long after you are done lifting. It increases muscle mass and that increases your BMR (the rate at which you burn calories doing nothing). And you look better.

by Anonymousreply 5002/10/2013

ALL fruits and vegetables are carbs.

Raisins often (but not always) have added sugar.

by Anonymousreply 5102/10/2013

7 more lbs down, that's 22 in three weeks.

Blood work is ok except for elevated uric acid, they're going to keep monitoring it for now.

by Anonymousreply 5202/17/2013

I'm following a primal diet. Don't miss grains and legumes at all, and am doing quite well. No cravings at all, and I don't get hungry. It's been 8 weeks, and I've dropped about 25 pounds. It's amazing how much better I feel.

by Anonymousreply 5302/17/2013

40 pounds in 8 weeks!

My triglcerides have normalized and my fasting blood glucose is now normal. I'm halfway to my goal.

by Anonymousreply 5403/23/2013

OP that is awesome!! r53, is primal the same as paleo?

by Anonymousreply 5503/23/2013

50 pounds down...the weight loss has slowed but is still chugging. I can fit into all my old clothes now.

by Anonymousreply 5604/18/2013

Congratulations OP.

by Anonymousreply 5704/18/2013

That's great, OP. How are you feeling, besides being happy about those results?

by Anonymousreply 5804/18/2013

Fuck it took me a year and a half to lose 35 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 5904/18/2013

R58, the first week was bad-- bad hunger and fatigue--but now I feel normal, and working out without the weight is easier.

by Anonymousreply 6004/18/2013

Sounds like a bad idea. It'll work while you're doing it, but then what? Sorry, I'd like to offer encouragement, but everyone I know who's done this has just ballooned up bigger than they were before they started the diet. Hard on your body. Are they offering you any behavior modification stuff? What about basic nutrition and exercise advice. The weekly blood draw makes it sound real evidence-based and scientific, but if they're not counseling you on how to change bad habits, it's a crock. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6104/18/2013

Yes, there is a cognitive-behavioral session offered every week plus dietary classes and a support group. You can also continue going after you reach goal weight to go to class and develop your diet with the dietician

by Anonymousreply 6204/18/2013

Wow, congrats to OP and the other posters who've lost weight!

Could someone please start a thread about bariatric surgery? My new doctor suggested I consider the gastric sleeve, and I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 6304/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 6404/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!