Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

TV icon Dick Van Dyke: 'I don't get the comedies today'

On Sunday, Van Dyke, 87, gets a lifetime achievement award from the Screen Actors Guild in Los Angeles, just a year after his 1960s "Dick Van Dyke Show" co-star Mary Tyler Moore received the same honor.

by Anonymousreply 6502/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

He's older than my grandparents but he's one man I would absolutely fuck the SHIT out of when he was younger...yum.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

That's funny. We didn't 'get' Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

Oh, Dick. Chill. Let the young people do their own thing.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

I few weeks ago I started streaming the Dick Van Dyke show from Netflix. The show is fucking brilliant. Wished they'd used Millie a little more though. She was actually probably the funniest one on the show. She ended up playing Fran's grandmother on The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

"I've had a shitty bang. Does that count?"

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

I love Laura and Millie together.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

R5 I agree. Millie episodes are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

Millie went on to play Yetta in 'The Nanny.'

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2013

Millie Helper (real name: Ann Morgan Guilbert), the character who played Laura Petrie's (MTM) best friend on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" in the 1960s, went on to play Yetta Rosenberg in TV's 1990s sitcom, "The Nanny."

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2013

someone please tell Dick that rabbit ears don't work anymore

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2013

My rabbit ears work just fine, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

'The Dick Van Dyke Show' and 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' were the two best sitcoms ever on television.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

OP we've just been catching reruns on TVLand. The show is funny as shit. Love the look and smart humor.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

His son Barry was hot as fucking hell. He was one of my first gay crushes.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

R15 I respectfully disagree.

I think both shows were absolutely lousy!

Although I agree that most of today's TV comedy programming is garbage, period.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

Does anyone remember his brief, depressing stint as the replacement for Harvey Korman on The Carol Burnett Show? Seeing a once-great star reduced to second banana status lent an air of melancholy to his efforts.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

r13, go fuck yourself with a razor blade.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

R18. Dick Van Dke and Mary Tyler Moore did not have 'lousy' shows. Even if they weren't your favorites, they were among the most well-written and well-acted with a truckload of Emmys between the them.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2013

I wanted to spank and anally penetrate him when I was a kid growing up in the 1960s. Also his brother Jerry when he was on My Mother the Car.

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2013

What, you mean he doesn't like Mike and Molly?

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2013

There is a freezing rain advisory in Chicago.

DO NOT...REPEAT...DO NOT go out unless you have to, and then use EXTREME...REPEAT...EXTREME caution.

Have a great day.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2013

R21, you're as full of shit as R13. Do the same as he should: kill yourself, you self-hating, Jew-obsessed closeted piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2601/27/2013

For all you Mille lovers- Had tickets for "Night, Mother" at Arena Stage in DC many years ago and arrived to find a paper slip with a cast replacement. The mother was being played by . . . Ann Morgan Guilbert. She was fucking brilliant. A wonderful actress.

and yes, her Yetta was sublime.

by Anonymousreply 2701/27/2013

So, tell me, did Millie ever go on to other roles???

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2013

In his day, situations were ironic, not people (that is why they were called situational comedies).

by Anonymousreply 2901/27/2013

Millie didn't even want the role she had. She was the only cast member without a contract. After the first year, Paris and her were offered contracts by Reiner.

Guilbert refused, as she was a wife and mother and she said, she felt that if she had a contract Carl Reiner would use her more. She only wanted to be in an episode if the role was big enough and she didn't want to be away from her family for a show where Millie was only in one or two scenes.

She said, this way, by making Carl Reiner pay her for each episode she was in, he'd be sure to use her to get his money's worth.

Guilbert did appear here and there through the 60s and 70s in walk in parts, like on Andy Griffith (Or was it Mayberry RFD?)

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

She's very lucky she wasn't recast.

by Anonymousreply 3101/27/2013

He's right, because most of them aren't funny.

by Anonymousreply 3201/27/2013

You don't have to be an eldergay to enjoy old tv and movies. I love the 30's and 40' especially. Cannot believe people are so naive about this fact. As for The Dick van Dyke show, I liked it but it wasn't great.

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

20 minutes is not enough time to tell a story. Commercials have ruined tv.

by Anonymousreply 3401/27/2013

Totally agree with you and DVD on that R34.

by Anonymousreply 3501/27/2013

What some of you are missing is that The Dick Van Dyke Show was considered brilliant and innovative in its time because it presented a young suburban married couple who were both genuinely sexy, fashionable and real, neither one a scheming lamebrain idiot-father/mother.

There had been nothing like them before on TV. It's easy to take that for granted now.

by Anonymousreply 3601/27/2013

Millie was Laura's Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 3701/27/2013

R5, did you just hatch from an egg?

by Anonymousreply 3801/27/2013

The Dick Van Dyke Show is one of the best written and funniest TV shows of all time - and the best episodes were when that little brat, Richie, wasn't on. That kid was the one weak link in the cast and the worst child actor of all time.

by Anonymousreply 3901/27/2013

No mention of Laura's Capri pants? You queens are slipping.

by Anonymousreply 4001/27/2013

r5 I loved Millie as well. I always thought those "nervous energy" characters were funny. Same with the first Mrs. Kravitz on Bewitched and Barney on Andy Griffith. To me, their energy was funny.

by Anonymousreply 4101/27/2013

Ann Guilbert's daughter is Hallie Todd, who was a regular on "Brothers. " She also played Blanche's horny niece on "Golden Girls".

by Anonymousreply 4201/27/2013

I think she's tremendous

by Anonymousreply 4301/27/2013

The peak of Dick's career was his 1960s show. Although he appeared in movies, he never made the leap to film star. His 1970s & 80s TV shows didn't redefine him as an actor. He's lucky he worked.

by Anonymousreply 4401/27/2013

I don't think anything past Friends and Raymond has been funny. The last two good sitcoms. DVD and MTM shows are two of my favorites from that era, but everyone always talks like everything back then was good and it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 4501/27/2013

He's not supposed to understand today's comedy. He's several generations removed from today's comedy.

I never understood how people could find Milton Berle funny. Or WC Fields. They were several generations removed from me. My parents and grandparents generation thought they were funny

I still find lots of currrent comedy funny, but find some comedy inexplicable. Like stand up comedians who only talk about their penises and getting laid. I think "Dude, we all have genitalia and have sex, it's not enough to build an entire comedy career."

But I'm wrong. It is enough to build a comedy career. Like Dick van Dyke, I'm starting to lose touch with the comic sensibilities of younger generations. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 4601/27/2013

[quote] He's older than my grandparents but he's one man I would absolutely fuck the SHIT out of when he was younger...yum.

Yeah, he was a handsome man. Supposedly has a HUGE cock.

And...what R36 said. It was new and fresh at that time.

by Anonymousreply 4701/27/2013

The episode when Dick thinks his baby was switched with another at the hospital is a classic and groundbreaker. When he insists that the other couple visit them to work it out the other couple turns out to be African American - believe it or not, the network almost did not go through with it (it was over 50 years ago)

by Anonymousreply 4801/27/2013

Comedy has changed over the years. Back in his day, it was either tell a joke or slapstick comedy. Today's comedy is insult and sarcastic comedy.

by Anonymousreply 4901/27/2013

[quote]I never understood how people could find Milton Berle funny. Or WC Fields

Milton Berle was never funny but WC Fields is one of the best film comedians of all time and his humor holds up today.

But you're right, comedy in general has a short shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 5001/27/2013

I remember "Millie" having a small part in one of the Seinfeld episodes when he was in Florida visiting his parents. She was always wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 5101/27/2013

And styles of comedy change. Some styles are very punchline oriented.

I loved, say, Mary Tyler Moore's show or the "Mama" sketches during Carol Burnett, but those weren't very knock-knock punchline funny. MTM had some but those were more rooted in the characters.

Carol Burnett said if you pay attention to the family sketches, there were no punchlines. People laughed at the situations. And some of them were really sad. Those people were stuck in their world and they weren't very successful or happy.

by Anonymousreply 5201/27/2013

Lol, r47, how do you know that he "supposedly" has a huge cock? Van Dyke was not a womanizer in the least. The only people who knew/know his size were his first wife, Michelle Triola and his current wife.

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2013

Ann Morgan Guilbert (Millie) played the mother on the "The Fanelli Boys" sitcom - 1990-91. The brothers included Joe Pantoliano and Christopher Meloni.

by Anonymousreply 5401/27/2013

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one. The Dick Van Dyke show is considered, historically, to be one of the finest and funniest television sitcoms of all time. Along with I Love Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, Cheers, M*A*S*H, The Bob Newhart Show, etc. Anyone who disagrees can certainly have that opinion. But you are in the vast vast minority. As long as you are aware of that.

by Anonymousreply 5501/27/2013

R55 -

by Anonymousreply 5601/27/2013

It always annoyed me that, even though it was called The Dick Van Dyke Show, his character's name was Rob.

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2013

"I think both shows were absolutely lousy!"

You are an absolute idiot. Really, are you mentally retarded or something? Because The DVD show and the MTM show are both considered to be two of the greatest tv comedies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 5801/27/2013

He did two more comedy shows after the original DVD show. Both of them had great moments. The second one was called "Van Dyke and Company: which co-starred Andy Kaufman! I remember that the show had a "Fonzie look-alike" contest; Kaufman, doing his "foreign man" accent, was one of the finalists (a black guy won the contest!). Crestfallen after the loss, Dick feels sorry for him and lets him do a performance as consolation. Thus encouraged, Kaufman kept coming back to the show and showing up at inopportune moments. Once, as Dick was starting to sing a number where he's in full clown costume, Andy showed up and in the background starts to set up his own performance number. It was funny as hell! At any rate, the show didn't last long; only three months. But it won an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy-Variety series.

by Anonymousreply 6001/27/2013

Let's not forget Diagnosis Murder, which exposed us to hunky but utterly untalented Barry Van Dyke.

by Anonymousreply 6101/27/2013

My HEART has a terrible scar

I'll get you for this wherever you are

But first I'll KILL myself

I'm funny that way

But seriously darling

You're OK

by Anonymousreply 6201/27/2013

I wish the show featured more of Joan Shawlee as Pickles, Buddy's wife.

by Anonymousreply 6301/27/2013

I remember 'The Dick Van Dyke Show,' but I was a bit young to fully appreciate how good it was at the time. But it was one of the best shows ever. However, no show surpasses my all-time favorite, 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show.'

Of course, there have been other great, landmark shows along the way, but 'Mary' remains the absolute best for me.

by Anonymousreply 6401/27/2013

I rewatched the movie "Cold Turkey" recently. It's still pretty damn funny and features a slew of excellent actors. And Dick Van Dyke is superb as the Reverend Clayton Brooks, looked mighty fine, too.

by Anonymousreply 6502/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!