Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My 16-Year-Old Son Received A Love Poem – From Another Boy

It’s always sort of adorable and sad when your kid starts attracting attention from would-be suitors. Your little baby is growing up and as a parent, you have to accept the fact that one day they will find someone and fall in love and move away from you and you will no longer get to boss them about what shirt to wear with what sweater. My eldest son came home from school to inform me that he thought one of his schoolmates liked him, because they slipped a self-authored poem to him in the hallway. And even though it’s not really surprising, his admirer was also a boy.

Awwww. I would have found this act touching and sweet from a kid of any gender, but there is something to be said for a kid who has the bravery and gumption to express his feelings in poetry form, because even though the world has gotten somewhat gentler towards homosexuals, we are talking about a teenage boy here. Who wrote a poem. And gay kids are still bullied in school, in horrible, heart-wrenching ways, in ways that make me lose sleep at night.

My son asked if I wanted to read the poem and I declined, because it’s personal, and it wasn’t meant for me. He did say that he wouldn’t share it with anyone else and I agree with him, love letters are not to be passed around and shared with people they aren’t meant for. He was very flattered and touched by the poem and the footnote at the bottom, where the boy expressed his feelings for my son, and even though my son likes this boy and values his friendship, my son is not gay.

I panicked, of course, because this is how I would react when my kid had to reject the feelings of any other kid, but this is somehow more fraught, because teenage boys are assholes, and even though my son is not an asshole, I wanted to make sure he had declined the offer of romance in the right way. I shouldn’t have worried. I have raised a good kid.

[italic]What did you say?

I told him that I’m not gay.

But you didn’t make him feel bad, you weren’t a jerk about it, you didn’t make a big deal out of it right?

God Mom, do you think I’m a moron? I don’t care if he is gay. If I were gay I would date him, I like the guy he is my friend. I’m not going to hurt his feelings. I’m not a jerk mom.

My son has had girlfriends. I’m sure he will continue to date people throughout his high school career, and I will continue to worry about a million things, breakups and hookups and the delicate and not-so-delicate ways these relationships begin and end. He will reject people, and they will reject him. I just hope all of these rejections end as graciously as they did with his friend, and that his friend meets another boys to compose poems for. Because any teenager who pulls a cool move like that, they deserve to meet someone pretty special.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

How sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

I don't think it's sentimental. It's freaking great!

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

Do what I did when my kid wanted to share his orange juice with another boy.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

These cyberfraus say one thing and blog another.

She probably helped her son beat the shit out of the gay kid down by the railroad tracks.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

she seems cool with lovey dovey relationships, but what if her son wanted to go to a sex party?

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

It's amazing how times have changed.

I used to fantasize about a time when any boy could ask another boy to the school dance, and the worst thing that would happen would be a flattered thanks but no.

you know, the same response I gave to girls that asked me on Sadie Hawkins day.

My high school was so over-the-top homophobic it's hard for me to even imagine kids today, coming out in their teens while still in school, asking guys to dances, passing romantic poems to them in the halls...

It chokes me up a bit to realize how far we've come, in spite of how far we have yet to go.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

Anita Bryant???

Is that old cunt still kickin'?

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

I love what you wrote, R6. It really is amazing how times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

God, R6, take it down a notch.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

This. never. happened.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

R5 I have to say, I wouldn't want any 16 year old, of any gender, going to any kind of sex party. Just not appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

It's almost as if she's so relieved to have confirmation that her precious little pudding pop isn't queer that she can actually feel generosity to that poor boy who wrote the poem.

Mighty straight of her.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

Totally agree, r12!

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

Exactly, R12.

And this self-congratulatory blogfraus have no sense of boundaries — she might have actually outed her son's friend and put him in danger, if, say, he's not out to anyone but her son and the kids at school put two-and-two together.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

Stupid bitch cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2013

Aw, a little gayling having his first crush on a straight guy *sigh* The first of many, I'm sure.

Be sure to send him a link to Datalounge- we're all about that here.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2013

The specific expressions and all are not my preferences, but I'm not the intended audience and it's a culture that is not mine. I also cringe at the celebratory "my kid is so great because I'm a great parent" implications, but that's something one gets with gratified parents.

With that said, I think it's more useful to celebrate good parenting and support for gay normality wherever we find it. Why call names and perform biased analyses when, in fact, there is nothing here that is not positive and decent? R12 is unnecessarily (and inaccurately) harsh.

We are witnessing societal change on a grand and historic level, unprecedented in its impact on us as gay people. Ultimately that's what posts such as this indicate and contribute to.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2013

Oh stuff it, R17.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2013

I guess I just wonder why she felt it was necessary to remind us that the other boy is gay while her son is STRAIGHT(!)- why he's even dated girls and everything.

Why couldn't it just be a story about a boy gently rejecting another boy?

I have acquaintances who consider themselves "allies" to the LGBTQXYZ community but at every opportunity spend a great deal of time discussing how their nearly 30 year old son who's never had a date in his life meets and gets to know lots and lots of girls on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2013

Why is it not surprising to mom that her son is attracting the attention of boys? Does she think he's a 'mo?

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

Who cares about the tone of how it's written? I think it's inspiring that 16-year-old boys can treat each other with maturity and respect, unlike the jaded, judgmental queens on DL.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

Jeezus H, lay off the lemon juice, R18.

What R17 said is right. It's progress.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

R19 sounds like a joy to be around.

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2013

Her son was not an asshole in declining his friend's romantic overture so he deserves someone "pretty special?" Sure, mom. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

I feel bad for you, r24. That's how mom's talk about their kids. It makes me sad you don't know that, because obviously your mom was a cunt to you.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

All this bogus shit on the internet and you all lap it right up.

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2013

We'll know progress has been made when the mom says, "didn't you at least let him suck your dick? Now what would that have hurt? Think of his feelings."

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

I love you, R27.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!