Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dyeing your hair (unless you're a gayling)

I say when you go pretty gray you need to leave it in, especially if you're a guy past 40.

Agree or disagree?

by Anonymousreply 6801/27/2013

If people can dye their hair those bright acetate colors, why should a budding eldergay have any qualms about dying his gray hair back to or any other color?

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

If it doesn't look dyed, who'll know?

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

I have a friend who dyes his beard. He thinks we don't know.

He's 52 and looks like a dad-blamed fool with a dyed beard.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

I don't know why OP is trying so hard with this "gayling" nonsense.

It's not funny. It's not offensive. It's just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

OP = Bald and jealous

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

gayling has happened, R4. Get to a Starbucks fast and maybe your roomie will slip you a free venti latte so you can save $$ and not eat a meal and it will halp you make half your rent this month

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

It is the "gayling"/"eldergay" troll that has 4 or 5 new threads all of the sudden. lame

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

'Gayling' just isn't happening...

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

I am 29 and I have white hairs coming in at my temples. Am I supposed to dye my hair? I feel like covering my head in hair dye is excessive.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

Still nothing gray below the neck!

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

[quote]I am 29 and I have white hairs coming in at my temples. Am I supposed to dye my hair? I feel like covering my head in hair dye is excessive.

You should do whatever you want. If it doesn't bother you, then don't dye it. If it does bother you, then just dye those areas.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

There's a fascinating generational war taking place on the DL these days. A large number of younger gays have joined the website in the past year or so, and some eldergays have been threatened by it. Most aren't, of course, because they are secure in what they know and who they are... But a few very vocal eldergays are apparently quite fearful of their own mortality.

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

R13- hunty, puleeze!

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

I am gray(ing) and balding and I fucking love it! I Do Not Want to change that at all.

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2013

We speak English here, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2013

I've blondified my hair since I was in college and I see no reason ever to stop. Having gray hairs is great because they make coloring easier and they add variation, which is want you want.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2013

Is "grayling" the opposite of "gayling?"

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2013

I tried it and got a scrotum burn I'll never forget. I just braid them now and they look like woven silver jewelry when I take my undies off.

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2013

um R8, let me introduce you to R6.

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

Mortality has nothing to do with it, R13, but you know that.

swating a gayling by restating the obvious about his jealously over lack of money and power and a manly body is like swatting a fly. Sometimes you ignore it, because it isnt really worth it. Sometimes you just flatten it to be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

You are trying way too hard, R21. You assume that everyone cares about money and power. (The part about the 'manly body' is just bizarre.)

Spiral out of control some more, though... It's very entertaining!

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

Could you afford some better punctuation, R23? Or did you expend all your boring cash on rent boys? I thought eldergays prided themselves on being smarter than the younger set.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

Please, R20. 'Gayling' is barely above hapax legomenon status at this point.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

It'd leave it as is if I could, but I'm looking for a job and I need to look under 50.

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

I have grey hair @53. I love it. I have a full head of hair, albeit slightly receding. Dyeing it looks tacky IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

Wow, you are really flailing, R26. Lay your palsied hands to rest, dear, and go watch some more low-quality VHS tapes of "Knots Landing".

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

A person who spells out 'doesnt' can't wound anyone, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

If your skin is aging naturally, you are better leaving the gray. If your face is RED RED RED then you are better off dyeing it.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013

OP is absolutely right. .. These post 40-year olds who think that dying their hair will somehow make their faces look younger, are just kidding themselves. If anything, it ages them! Especially is they go for one solid color. A sort of fun look of highlights and streaks might help them look like up-beat middle aged men, but certainly NOT younger. It's a turn-off to tricks and a source for ridicule from the queens. So,.. be warned!!

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2013

You only notice the bad dye jobs. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Jon Hamm, Ryan Seacrest all dye their hair and they look fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2013

Girls, girls! You're [italic]both[/italic] hateful!

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2013

Tom Cruise's dye-job is hideous. A perfect example of a concocted "brown" that has nothing to do with real colors on the planet earth those "purpley" highlights in the sun are a dead giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2013

That's a few posts too late, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2013

It's true. The same guys on here who denigrate dyed hair will then praise the good looks of some hollywood star in his 40's or 50's who has a full head of dark hair. Do you think no one in Hollywood ever goes gray? They just dye it.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2013

dye it.

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2013

I'm 41 with salt and pepper, now probably more salt than pepper. I starts going gray probably in my early 20's. I used to dye it because it bothered me, I felt I was too youn and it made me self conscious. I stopped coloring my hair maybe 10 years ago, I'm over it. It's a pain in the ass to color it and you guys are right it looks terrible and fake. I keep a nice short style and I get complements all the timeeven from complete strangers. I like it now.

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2013

oh honey, dont try and tell them anything. They are 20. They know EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2013

I like dying my hair. It makes me feel good, and it also looks good. I've tried living with the gray for months and months, but eventually I dye it because I don't like the gray.

Yeah, yeah, we've all heard for years that men with gray hair look handsome and distinguished. Well I'm not one of them. I like my naturally dark brown hair.

And when I dye my hair, I'm very careful to avoid that black shoe polish look because even I think that looks bad. But I like my brown hair maybe with some occasional gray showing just to make it look natural. But all gray or predominately gray? No.

My hair is brown and it's going to stay that way for the forseeable future even if it comes out of a Just For Men bottle.

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2013

[quote]oh honey, dont try and tell them anything. They are 20. They know EVERYTHING!

More proof on just how tone deaf some of you eldergays are.

To you, someone who doesn't agree with you is 20 years old.

Come on, now. There are no 20 year olds here.

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2013

I'm almost 49, with a head of red hair as auburn as the day I was born. When I was a kid, I hated it but never had the guts to dye it; now, I wouldn't think of dying my hair if I go grey. It is always obvious, and it it never look good. If you must dye your hair, do not dye it black; you look like you've plastered your head with shoe polish.

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2013

I'd ask your hair stylist. I started getting gray hairs around 27, which is normal in my family. My stylist told me the gray was going to come in beautifully, so I shouldn't color my hair. It did just that. The only time the gray bothered me was when I was in my 30s and people saw gray hair and immediately thought I had to be in my 40s. Now I'm in my 40s and I caught up to my hair. Still a youthful face here but my coloring works with the gray. Your stylist should be able to tell you if gray will work for you and how it might look when it starts to come in.

My ex still colors his hair. He could pull it off until he was in his early 50s. He looked really young for his age. Now he's in his 60s and it just makes him look older. He won't let it go, though. He's obsessed with looking young.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2013

I found a gray pube in my fire crotch.

by Anonymousreply 4801/26/2013

My graying head hair looks great. But graying chest hair looks HORRIBLE. This is the real reason all those circuit "twinks" started shaving. They were getting old and needed to get rid of the follicular evidence.

by Anonymousreply 4901/26/2013

If you want to look masculine, go gray. There's nothing manlier than not giving a shit about your flaws!

by Anonymousreply 5001/26/2013

If you can afford a good colorist/stylist, cover the grey until the cows come home. If not, accept the inevitable appearance of age, haggardness and lack of a sex life. I speak from experience. I'm 50 and my colorist has given me back my 30s.

by Anonymousreply 5101/26/2013

As you age, your skin color changes, it gets lighter. Dark hair just does not look natural with it.

Also: home dye jobs do not work for men. The color is too uniform. If you must get dyed, you have to go to a good colorist. It cost a good deal of money and you must get it done frequently.

Much better to let it go gray and use a good shampoo made for gray hair.

Get a good hair cut. Or keep it short.

by Anonymousreply 5201/26/2013

You wish, R51. No way in hell hair dye regresses a person 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 5301/26/2013

I was just as shocked as you, R53, but dyeing my hair has restored my youth. But, as I said, it's because I pay a good colorist mucho dinero regularly!!!

by Anonymousreply 5501/26/2013

Every guy with hair color in his hair,reading this right now needs to know it shows! I am not trying to be mean. Take a deep breath and try to find the mature adult within yourself! Seriously. This subject has all the makings of a David Sedaris short story. You may have surmised I have strong feelings about this,but ALL(!) hair color/dye shows,especially in daylight! Stop! Just stop. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look "natural. It looks SAD,it looks ridiculous. My hair started thinning in my mid-thirties. If you look at yourself on CCTV,while waiting in line at a bodega you can tell immediately if you have male pattern baldness. The ONLY way to deal with this is to buy your own set of hair clippers and cut off all your remaining hair meticulously(using a mirror,or a fiend,to see the back). Use the shortest guard for the clippers or just use no guard. Oil the blades with a few drops of mineral/baby oil (usually provided with your new clippers) use an old toothbrush to keep the blades hair free between uses. If you're trying to make your thinning hair look the way it used to (and it's taking longer and longer as the years go by.),try the routine I've described above and I guarantee you the positive response will be amazing! Also,your sex life will improve. You will feel clean and fresh (younger?) and neat. One note: you will have one "friend" who (in spite of/because of all your positive feedback) won't be able to stop running her mouth about how much she misses the "old" you(think about it! HA!). Ditch her immediately! This will fit right in with your new look fresh start motif(HA!). Back to hair color,ONLY women can color their hair. They go around talking about it,showing each other their new color. This is the key to what I'm trying to say. Men and women(usually) color/dye their hair for very different reasons. Think about it ,and you'll see I'm right. Men (after a certain age) color their hair to look younger. Inevitably the contrary personalities will now start in with their tiresome harping. Hairdressers(on fire!) will tell you, "if a professional does it,it will look natural",it won't,it's their job to say that. Although,the only thing worse is a DIY dye job(kill yourself immediately,you cannot be helped!!!).

by Anonymousreply 5601/26/2013

R42, typing like teenager via text message isn't making you seem youthful.

by Anonymousreply 5701/26/2013

Why do people have to be so absolute about this? Everyone's hair grows differently. Not everyone goes completely silver and specks just look unkempt.

There are ways to manage your colour without going all Mighty Mouse about it.

Let's just agree that whatever you do, it should be done by a professional.

by Anonymousreply 5801/26/2013

[quote]As you age, your skin color changes, it gets lighter.

This drives me crazy and makes me look much older than the gray hair does.

by Anonymousreply 5901/26/2013

Yeah but R56, the point isn't to hide it. It's just to look nice. Who cares if you colour your hair as long as it's done professionally and looks good? It's not about disguising that you have it done. That's just stupid.

When you live in a world class city everybody has something done - highlights, lowlights, whatever. You think everybody else has completely natural hair? Weaves, extensions, whatever. Don't be ridiculous. There are hair straighteners in the men's locker room at my gym provided for member's use. Male grooming has come a long way, there's nothing to be embarrassed again. It's just about looking good not about deception.

And I don't even have to mention all the plastic surgery. A little hair colour is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 6001/26/2013

I'm torn. I just turned 34 and my hair, from the temple to just above the ear, has started to grey. I hate it. I love it men over 40, but I'm not close to that.

Can someone younger pull off dyeing?

by Anonymousreply 6101/26/2013

I put a bit of dye in it to soften the gray/brown mix, tilt it back toward brown a little more. I only leave the dye on for half the time that the instructions say. Hair ends up looking 60/40 brown/gray, instead of 30/70 brown/gray. My hair is clipped short so this approach works pretty well for me.

I'm 45. At some point I'll probably give up, give in, and "own" my gray/white hair. But I don't want to yet.

Here is Wayne Newton. He is what you do not want to look like, if you are a man considering dyeing your hair. Or plastic surgery, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 6201/26/2013

In the early 80's I dyed my hair all sorts of colors, but secretly wanted it to be white. Now at 56, (yes I know I should be dead at this advanced age) I'm graying at the temples but it's brown on top.

Last week I had dinner with friends. One of my friends, who is younger than me complained about his beautiful white hair. I told him I would be more than happy to scalp him and sew his beautiful hair onto my head.

He declined.

by Anonymousreply 6301/26/2013

boil some walnuts

by Anonymousreply 6401/26/2013

"dyeing my hair has restored my youth."

No it hasn't. If the dye job has restored your self-confidence then it's probably worth the trouble and expense, but don't make the mistake of thinking that other people believe you're 35.

Take it from a old woman, hair dye has a lot of uses. It can give you a new look, it can make you feel good about yourself, it can cover things you don't like, it can make you look more beautiful or more glamorous, a new color for the hell of it is great fun... but youth? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 6501/27/2013

Grecian Formula is the answer.

by Anonymousreply 6701/27/2013

Dye your hair if you must, but you'd also better pony up for the plastic surgery to get rid of the wrinkles, crow's feet, bags under the eyes, etc., or why bother?

by Anonymousreply 6801/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.