Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Smash: Season 2

The first hour of the premiere is online. Have at it, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 60103/10/2013

Watched it On Demand. It's awful. A very bad sign for the rest of Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2013

I've been hearing about all the guest stars they've got for season two. Makes me wonder if the show is so weak that they've got to distract you with all the big names.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2013

I liked Season 1 very much but I am not a Broadway queen so wasn't distracted by the autopsy process. I liked McPhee and thought she got a lot of shit more for being on a TV talent show to begin with than for her limitations as an actress (which considering most TV talent weren't epic in any event.) I thought it was really good bubble gum entertainment and I enjoyed it shot on location in New York.

Whatever was right and wrong with Season 1 there's never a better way to kill a show than to bring in an outsider, who will be so busy putting their stamp on it the whole thing will get worse. Thought the first hour was not compelling and indicated a desire to resolve Season 1 so we can get right down to the business of seeing all the new stars brought in and the new, better, Gossip Girly storylines.

I expect Season 2 will be the last.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2013

I loved Jennifer Hudson in the Season 2 Sneak Preview.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2013

Her first song is good (some production number with "Mama" in the title) but "On Broadway" was a shriekfest.

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2013

Someone actually texts: "move forward with the plan!"

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2013

I really enjoyed it. And the online reaction has been pretty positive if you look on Twitter, Facebook, etc. And now they've introduced a third gay character who's cute, I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2013

I thought it was a HUGE improvement over season one.

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2013

Thanks for your input, Joshua Safran/R8.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

Love it, but Anjelica needs a new hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

Ummm, r9, since you've posted here three times, you're the one who seems to have an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

No agenda, R11. Gee, I'm not talking to myself, am I? It's just my opinion that this show sucks even harder going by the first episode. And it could have been so much better.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2013

Right, but you disparage someone who has the opposite opinion than you - which means you have an agenda. We've already heard your opinion, over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2013

Get ready to hear VERY SIMILAR opinions of it, then, R13.

Over and over and over until it limps to its season (and series) finale in May.

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2013

What was the hate for season 1? I really liked it for what it was. I know it's not accurate but then I never mistook CSI for real police work either.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2013

Wow, Spielberg wanted to fire Megan Hilty?

by Anonymousreply 1601/31/2013

Why did they get rid of the character Dennis? That sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2013

Can you tell us if we have ALREADY missed the broadcast, or is it upcoming and when will it be shown. It is a Sunday show, right?

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2013

The first episode will be shown on Tues., Feb. 5 at 9 p.m. ET.

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2013

r17, Phillip Spaeth is heading for the real Broadway as Rodolfo in "Matilda" at the Shubert. Previews March 4, opens April 11.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2013

I'M IN TECH!

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2013

Wow, JHud sounded great.

Let me tell you something about Deb Messing: It looks like she's lost some of her abortion-bloat.

I can't tell if Anjelica's new face is an improvement or not. Did she have more work done, or did what she had prior to the first season finally settle?

by Anonymousreply 2201/31/2013

...so when does it air?

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

Next Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

It's probably too much to hope that they pair the new gay with Bobby, so he can be something other than the bitchy gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

Biggest ratings of the season for NBC.

Bet on it, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

That wouldn't be too hard to do, R26.

But that ain't gonna happen. It won't pull in big numbers. If it manages to get anywhere near the numbers Revolution got last fall they'll be ecstatic.

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

It's going to be a megaflop. The lead-in isn't The Voice, but Go On and The New Normal, which are plummeting in the ratings.

Smash is NBC's Supertrain 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

And advertising J-Hud in commercials and billboards like she's a new cast regular is a blatant lie. She appears in 4 episodes maximum.

by Anonymousreply 2902/01/2013

Here's a one-act play for your delectation:

by Anonymousreply 3002/01/2013

We've got an official Smash stalker. Relentlessly posting about details that only the truly obsessed would care about. How bizarre and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 3102/01/2013

R31 and you can be the official anti smash troll going on every thread that mentions it and trying to destroy it with vitriol.

You are right out of central casting.

by Anonymousreply 3202/01/2013

LOL, R32. And right on. The R31 troll obviously doesn't understand what DL is about, maybe he'd be more comfortable over at TWOP?

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

Miss Hudson outshines them all! She is a true star.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

mcPhee at the pre game show

by Anonymousreply 3502/03/2013

LA Times review-- lukewarm, but they liked JHud.

by Anonymousreply 3702/05/2013

God, Michael Riedel AGAIN???

by Anonymousreply 3802/05/2013

"What if I can't fix it?"

Oh, PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 3902/05/2013

[quote]I can't tell if Anjelica's new face is an improvement or not. Did she have more work done, or did what she had prior to the first season finally settle?

"Bombshell is FROZEN!"

What a cruel line to give to Anjelica Huston.

So far this is worse than Season 1 -- the script is laughable ("Move forward with THE PLAN!"), the lighting is like one of those Annie Leibovitz caramel-colored Vanity Fair "Hollywood" covers, and the sound is weirdly unbalanced... all the dialogue is buried and the songs BLARE.

At least the Hudson-McPhee duet of "On Broadway" was funny -- I burst out laughing when McPhee sang "I can play this HERE GUITAR" and broke into soulful air guitar.

"At least you woke up -- my nightmare is just beginning!"

by Anonymousreply 4002/05/2013

And I forgot McPhee's delivery of the line:

"I'm your muse. It's what we DO."

by Anonymousreply 4102/05/2013

My thoughts/questions:

Megan Hilty would be terrific in a musical bio of Sophie Tucker's life, not Marilyn's.

Jack Davenport is heading rapidly towards Dan Stevens territory in the no jaw line sweepstakes. What is it with these doughy Englishmen?

Andy Mientus is a Bobby Steggart wannabe.

Deb Messing - where are the scarves??

Anjelica HUston has tired of her wig and is wearing it sideways.

WTF happened to Jeremy Jordan's sideburns?

by Anonymousreply 4202/05/2013

IMBD only shows JHUD in this episode. They list JJ in 5 episodes this year.

by Anonymousreply 4302/05/2013

She's in 5. Sheryl Lee Ralph (as Ronnie's mother) shows up in Episode #203 which is next week. Tonight they're running two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4402/05/2013

The Robert Plant number was but one of several Jump The Shark moments in this debacle.

by Anonymousreply 4502/05/2013

WHOA. The drunken womanizing director gets drunk and womanizing in a bar and then has a hallucination of McPhee, Hilty and some Robert Palmer girls singing Eurythmics' "Would I Lie to You?"

It made no sense whatsoever. Hilty, who's about the best thing in this mess, looked mortified.

At least Season 1 had some love-to-hate-it stuff. This is just godawful.

by Anonymousreply 4602/05/2013

I'm crazy in love with Megan Hilty. I think she's the embodiment of Marilyn Monroe. I'm just transfixed whenever she's on the screen (though this can't be said for McPhee, who seems like weak tea in comparison).

by Anonymousreply 4702/05/2013

[R46] Thankfully you won't be joining us for any more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4802/05/2013

You're right, r48 -- checking out after this one, the gritty charms of McPhee singing at the "Brooklyn warehouse party" ringing in my ears!

by Anonymousreply 4902/05/2013

I know you bitches will skin me alive, but I loved Season 1. Didn't have a single problem with it.

Tonight is dreadful. Makes Season 1 look like HBO.

It is possible even if there's a full season in the can they cancel it?

Because this is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 5002/05/2013

Did I miss Liza?

by Anonymousreply 5102/05/2013

This is 88 kinds of suck.

by Anonymousreply 5202/05/2013

Megan Hilty might sing well but she has ZERO Star Quality which is more important. When she is onscreen she just disappears until she opens her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5302/05/2013

Dreadful, just dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2013

I thought they fired Theresa Rebeck in order to *improve* the show. Instead, now we have Joshua Safran defying logic the way he did in Gossip Girl (keeping Chuck and Blair apart until the last episode? yeah, that made sense). The entire business of Tom's setting Julia up in that fakeout with Margo Martindale WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. It made no sense.

And in more "Because We Say So" writing, there's the idiocy of having a guy who writes brilliant musical theatre music that he so badly doesn't want anyone to hear that he moves to New York and gets a job tending bar in the theatre district.

There's only one thing that's an improvement. The Jeremy Jordan/Andy Mientus music is better than the Bombshell music.

by Anonymousreply 5502/05/2013

Already they're using the Gossip Girl Lazy Writing Technique of throwing big parties for the sole reason of gathering a bunch of disparate characters together in one place.

And they're still using the tired trick of having people turn a corner just in time to overhear someone saying something revelatory or secretive.

And please can't we agree that McPhee is one huge charisma vacuum?

Are Jordan's songs the kind a Brooklyn hipster would write?

And would a producer withhold bad reviews from a book writer just to spare her feelings?

by Anonymousreply 5602/05/2013

Overhearing/eavesdropping was a soap staple long before Gossip Girl. Giving Karen the thumb drive is the only thing Jordan's character did that makes sense.

I'm surprised they didn't make us wait longer for it, but Josh Schwartz, for whom Safran worked, never met a secret he could keep for more than an episode. Stretch Chuck and Blair out for years, yes. A nice, juicy secret or bit of real character development, no thanks.

I think this is the show to be Hate-Watched. I like the new music, though.

by Anonymousreply 5702/05/2013

I'm not even sure I can hate watch it. If episode one of season two was episode one of season one this thing wouldn't have made the end of March.

by Anonymousreply 5802/05/2013

The Brooklyn party was fucking hilarious.

Oh look, we're in a warehouse.

Oh look, someone's smoking INSIDE.

Oh look, we're drinking out of plastic cups.

We're HIP EDGY AND YOUNG.

Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 5902/06/2013

i liked it a lot...

by Anonymousreply 6002/06/2013

Apparently they heard all of the complaints about Julia's scarves -- enough to make them part of a dialogue between Tom and Julia.

Loved JHud's numbers and Megan's performance at the American Theater Wing event.

I was promised there would be no Ellis ever again, but they showed him in the "Previously on Smash" clips. Argh!

Are we to surmise that they don't teach cursive handwriting in India (or was he supposed to be a Brit?), at least from what we saw of Dev's note to Karen?

Looks like we're getting Sean Hayes and Daniel Sunjata later in the season, based on the previews.

by Anonymousreply 6102/06/2013

Others have mentioned this, but I have to bring it up again, because I must have missed something:

Why would a struggling bartender with dreams of writing a Broadway musical NOT BE JUMPING AT THE CHANCE (sorry to yell) to have someone listen to his music? Was it explained and I just missed it?

by Anonymousreply 6202/06/2013

I should have waited to post until after the commercial break. I guess he did *sort of* explain why. So fucking lame, though.

Every artist I know would do anything to be read/heard/auditioned. Certainly every artist who moved to NYC or LA. I don't mind leap of faith plot devices in TV shows, but come on. He could have been the gay guy's cousin from Minnesota visiting or something, who Karen accidentally "discovers". Then he could be more realistically reclusive and reticent about his "art".

by Anonymousreply 6302/06/2013

[quote] And in more "Because We Say So" writing, there's the idiocy of having a guy who writes brilliant musical theatre music that he so badly doesn't want anyone to hear that he moves to New York and gets a job tending bar in the theatre district.

Exactly. This was lol ridiculous. The only reason that it barely got by with any sort of credibility is because Jeremy Jordan is just darkly cute and arrogant enough to make it come off.

It basically seemed the same as the first season, and mopey Ivy is a bore. Katherine McFail is a gigantic black hole of suck. She's a talent vacuum.

Oh, and don't think that you've escaped the dreadful Ellis because Gossip Girl moron liked him so much, he fired and then rehired him. He'll be back.

by Anonymousreply 6402/06/2013

Hilty should lay off the catering tables laying around the Smash set. There's sexy curvy and then there is just plain fat.

by Anonymousreply 6502/06/2013

Megan's looks came and went with each different hairstyle. Girl looks better with a little softness around her face.

by Anonymousreply 6602/06/2013

Andy M and Wes T make a cute couple.

Is Andy gay?

by Anonymousreply 6702/06/2013

[quote]And in more "Because We Say So" writing, there's the idiocy of having a guy who writes brilliant musical theatre music that he so badly doesn't want anyone to hear that he moves to New York and gets a job tending bar in the theatre district.

Because it's a soap opera, not a documentary, just like the bitchers of Downton Abbey. Stupid things happen on soaps all the time. Real life is boring most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 6802/06/2013

Jennifer Hudson was a huge error on Smash's part. The presence of Hudson, a great talent with actual star quality, makes McPhee and even Hilty, a genuine talent with far less star quality, pale in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 6902/06/2013

See, I disagree with the contention that Hilty doesn't have star potential. I think her *character's* star power dims when she lacks confidence, but I find her riveting every moment she's on the screen.

My favorite line of the evening: "Time to lose the scarves!"

by Anonymousreply 7002/06/2013

All people are going to remember about the show last night is that Smash it's worse than last year. And I liked last year. So why not bring back Ellis?

by Anonymousreply 7102/06/2013

Agree about Hudson. She puts McPhee to shame. And the contention that "in six months" she'll have screaming fans at her stage door is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 7202/06/2013

The difference in vocal power and energy level made the JHud - McPhew number laughable. At our viewing party someone yelled out, thank goodness for sound boards!

And all this wide-eyed wowing at just-OK singing. When McPhew held up her cell phone to JJ's caterwaling, the room burst out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 7302/06/2013

Yes, she hears several bars of an ok song and begins to plotz.

by Anonymousreply 7402/06/2013

R68, even in a soap opera, things need to have logic, even if it's a weird interior logic that only works within the confines of its own storytelling universe.

This doesn't even work on that level. It just plain makes no sense that Jeremy Jordan doesn't want Karen to help him do something his music, unless maybe he grew up in the West 40s, and just happens to create great show music that he doesn't even know is great.

by Anonymousreply 7502/06/2013

Many Broadway stars, with iconic status in New York, would not have come off with all that energy and star power on TV at McPhee's age...Mary Martin and Bernadette Peters are two examples.

by Anonymousreply 7602/06/2013

Who sang "Moving Forward?"

by Anonymousreply 7702/06/2013

Except for the fact that she is probably the worst actress living r69. I'll agree that her sung number was fun in that caterwauling sort of way (and her other numbers looked equally as fun in the preview), but the ensuing scene in her dressing room with her laughably bad "everyday" wig brought any dramatic impetus to a grinding halt. She really cannot put two spoken words together. My impression of this was borne out in the NAC scenes, where she was equally terrible.

She simply cannot act dialogue. She's totally comfortable singing and acting. Restrict her to that, but don't let her speak.

Oh, and by the way, JHud is totally going to EGOT. She's already got the Oscar and the Grammy. Guaranteed she will get a guest Emmy for this. All she has left after that is a Tony, by far the easiest win.

by Anonymousreply 7802/06/2013

This thread is why I love Datalounge.

I'm torn about the show. Everyone's criticism is pretty right on to me, especially the ridiculous implausibility of some plot lines. The young song writer is written so poorly that I hated him right away. That's not a good sign. His lines rang so false. And that bit about speaking at the benefit was awful. And whoever posted about the phone text "plan" was so right on.

Still, there is so little to watch on television, I don't mind this show at all. And I did love the musical numbers, especially the show numbers. They were fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 7902/06/2013

I really love JHud, but upon reflection, she's not a good fit here. It's not because she can't pull it off, it's because she puts McPhee and Hilty to shame.

by Anonymousreply 8002/06/2013

Also, it was really a shame that they hired Margo Martindale and then wasted her like that.

by Anonymousreply 8102/06/2013

Gays, I think you're being a tad unfair. There were a lot of season one demons to exorcise. And even then, these two episodes were clearly an improvement. Give it a little time. I think you'll really like the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 8202/06/2013

So, they're putting out a Bombshell cast album? How will that be different than getting the songs piecemeal from iTunes?

by Anonymousreply 8302/06/2013

[quote]So, they're putting out a Bombshell cast album? How will that be different than getting the songs piecemeal from iTunes?

They will be cheaper, and they will be the versions on the show (within the show), which will be different from earlier (television) show versions.

by Anonymousreply 8402/06/2013

My favorite thing in the whole two hours was when McPhee and JHud were singing "On Broadway" and the camera wheeled around to show the extras at the party, who must have been told:

"Snap your fingers! That's right! Dip your heads! Smile! Nod at each other! That's right -- tell each other 'She's good!'"

It was like some community-theater musical where the background chorus is acting their little hearts out during a number.

by Anonymousreply 8502/06/2013

The sad thing is that in a different world, JHud would have been given the Karen Cartwright role and Smash could have been just that: a smash hit.

A few tweaks to Bombshell (either make it about Dorothy Dandridge or stylize it so that a black woman could play Marilyn) and viola.

by Anonymousreply 8602/06/2013

Bye, Smash!

[quote]Smash came back to 4.5 million viewers and a 1.1 rating among adults 18-49. The two-hour premiere was down 71 percent from the show’s debut last season and down 47 percent from NBC’s performance average in this time period so far this season. Smash ranked as the night’s lowest-rated show on a major broadcast network.

by Anonymousreply 8702/06/2013

No, R82. An "improvement" is exactly what Smash 2.0 is NOT. It wasn't a bad show last year. This year, the plotting -- an actual important storytelling element -- renders the show ridiculous and idiotic.

Google "Idiot Plot" to read more about it.

by Anonymousreply 8802/06/2013

Somewhere, Jaime Cepero is smiling.

by Anonymousreply 8902/06/2013

R90 I think she's mostly famous for winning an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 9102/06/2013

"Smash" returns to a series low.

by Anonymousreply 9302/06/2013

R93 I wonder how so many people found out ahead of time how bad it was going to be.

Theresa Rebeck must be having a Really Good Day.

by Anonymousreply 9402/06/2013

Jennifer Hudson was in Dreamgirls IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 9502/06/2013

No day when Theresa Rebeck has to look in the mirror is a good day for her.

by Anonymousreply 9602/06/2013

Well, it's going to be gone soon, but I think Season Two is a BIG improvement over last season. Love Jennifer Hudson. Whoever said she can't act is full of shit. She's no Viola Davis, but she's way more than able to meet what she has to do here. She does blow McPhee out of the water when it comes to star quality.

by Anonymousreply 9702/06/2013

R95 Oh, that. Dreamgirls had one damned song. Did she sing it?

by Anonymousreply 9802/06/2013

What a stupid thing to say, R96. What, are you twelve? How many other stupid things did you say today?

by Anonymousreply 9902/06/2013

[quote]Somewhere, Jaime Cepero is smiling.

That "somewhere" would be the unemployment office. Either that or a trash dumpster, trying to scrounge up some dinner.

by Anonymousreply 10002/06/2013

[quote]Girl looks better with a little softness around her face.

Don't we all?

by Anonymousreply 10102/06/2013

As a matter of fact, yes, she did sing THE song in Dreamgirls, r98. That's what got her the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10202/06/2013

Tell me, r99, is this Theresa Rebeck or Grumpy from the Seven Dwarfs? The resemblance is so acute I can't quite figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 10302/06/2013

Will Theresa be on the new Celebrity Swan?

by Anonymousreply 10402/06/2013

Is R98 for real?

by Anonymousreply 10502/06/2013

I'm quite "for real," R105. Why would you ask?

by Anonymousreply 10602/06/2013

Neither, r103.

That's DL favorite Deb Messing waiting for makeup in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 10702/06/2013

R90/R95 is obviously trolling. That's why I didn't bother to answer his ludicrous question.

by Anonymousreply 10802/06/2013

That's what I thought, R91.

by Anonymousreply 10902/06/2013

R108 I'm not R95. So much for "obviously."

And excuse the living shit out of me if I don't keep up with the Oscars. Most movies are such shit, I don't see 99% of them.

"JHud" *remains* the diet shiller to end all diet shillers. You can hardly turn on the tv without having "JHud" try and sell you on WW. Sorry, "JHud," I eat real food.

by Anonymousreply 11002/06/2013

Why did they start season 2, knowing it would be preempted the very next week. Dumb move, they will lose any momentum. They should have waited the extra 2 weeks to premiere the show.

by Anonymousreply 11102/06/2013

R110 My apologies. I meant to say that R90/R92/R98 are all trolling.

by Anonymousreply 11202/06/2013

Ugh. State of the Union next week.

by Anonymousreply 11302/06/2013

How can a show have momentum when no one watched it?

by Anonymousreply 11402/06/2013

Megan Hilty and Debra Messing looked line linebackers.

The wardrobe on this show is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 11502/06/2013

But Jamie Cepero is returning, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 11602/06/2013

I can't believe they used Annaleigh Ashford as the same character she plays on SUBMISSIONS ONLY. And SubO is soooo much better than SMASH - about the same subject too.

by Anonymousreply 11702/06/2013

R116 If he is, then I'll know for sure there is no God.

by Anonymousreply 11802/06/2013

Here's the source, r118.

Enjoy atheism!

by Anonymousreply 11902/06/2013

Ellis was the recipient of the "Put plan in action" text, wasn't he?

by Anonymousreply 12002/06/2013

[quote]Ellis was the recipient of the "Put plan in action" text, wasn't he?

I think it was Betty Buckley.

by Anonymousreply 12102/06/2013

R90 get with the program, on Weight Watcher you do eat real food, that is what the diet is all about, there are no BAD foods !!

by Anonymousreply 12202/06/2013

You would know, R122. And "JHud" too. (Do people *really* call her that?

I am not getting with your program, nor your clue.

by Anonymousreply 12302/06/2013

R121 ??????

by Anonymousreply 12402/06/2013

Where was the American Theatre Wing event filmed?

by Anonymousreply 12502/06/2013

Was that fat woman a made up character for the American Theater Wing business?

by Anonymousreply 12602/06/2013

In case anybody wants to vote on how good... or bad... the premiere was...

by Anonymousreply 12702/06/2013

I'm pretty sure everyone at NBC is shitting golden bricks today. They have spent MILLIONS of dollars trying to make SMASH a hit, and its always just a huge flop that will taint everyone involved.

Jeremy Jordan is awful on this show. Being cute isn't everything.

by Anonymousreply 12802/06/2013

Well, at least Rachel Shukert's recaps on Vulture are back, for however long.

[quote]Jennifer Hudson as Veronica Moore as Rosa Parks in Rosa Parks: Werewolf Killer: The Musical. J.V.-HudMoore is a big star, and afterwards, she graciously receives Karen and Derek in her dressing room while wearing her at-home wig and is tactful enough not to point out that only one American Idol contestant in history has ever won an Oscar and it isn’t the one smugly playing with her sleeves in the corner over there.

by Anonymousreply 12902/06/2013

I bet the woman who created the show who was canned is laughing, even tho she loves the show. Her show.

by Anonymousreply 13002/06/2013

Has Hilty gained weight?

by Anonymousreply 13102/06/2013

This is what happens when you switch showrunners.

The new one has to put his or her stamp on the show, usually killing what was working on it (and no show they're trying to fix is beyond hope or they wouldn't be trying to fix it.)

Last night I got the impression they were essentially trying to create an entirely new SMASH, aimed largely at a very young audience. Except they had a base to work from, and probably from a demographic perspective, a lucrative base. The problem is they didn't create a good enough new SMASH for either demographic.

I wish this show had been the work of HBO or Showtime or some place that knows how to do quality television. It could have been excellent.

On the other hand, the gossip will be excellent when the blame flies. Which might not take much more time than the airing of the next episode. But it can't be saved now.

by Anonymousreply 13202/06/2013

I'm pretty sure every single member of the cast and crew of SMASH could get in a big circle and sing the entire song of "Your Fault" from Into the Woods that would end with Debra Messing belting "Last Midnight" as she disapeared in a pile of scarves.

by Anonymousreply 13302/06/2013

[quote]I wish this show had been the work of HBO or Showtime

It was originally a Showtime show.

by Anonymousreply 13402/06/2013

Do you know why it went to network, R134?

It pisses me off. Such an awesome premise wasted.

by Anonymousreply 13502/06/2013

We know, of course, that Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, Julie Harris and Maureen Stapleton were all gorgeous creatures with fabulous bods and THAT'S why they became Broadway stars! Yeah, sure --Poor Megan and Katherine should pack up and go home because they have no future on the stage or in films. Really, you bitches attacking 'Smash' are the ones that have become the cliches, the camp ones, the predictable ones.

Megan Hilty's number from "Bombshell" sung in the Theatre Wing scene was the best number , so far, ever done on 'Smash". Beautifully sung, perfect build to the song, excellent phrasing, powerful finish. Vocally stunning. It alone should get her an Emmy --besides, she can act too.

by Anonymousreply 13602/06/2013

Sorry, I thought that song sucked.

by Anonymousreply 13702/06/2013

While I enjoyed the episode, the high point for me was the Ford Fusion commercial where they sang "Let Me Be Your Star."

by Anonymousreply 13802/06/2013

R135 - the head of Showtime programming moved to NBC and brought the project with him.

by Anonymousreply 13902/06/2013

R139 Robert Greenblatt

by Anonymousreply 14002/06/2013

This Premiere Of Season 2, Left Me Flat & Somewhat Confused.. Some Of The Acting Was Terribly Directed & Very Stiff, Almost Laughable. Don't Get Me Started On That Horrible Frock That Deb Messing Was Wearing At The Function,Totally Unflattering. I know this 2 Hour Episode is a Turning Point In The Direction Of The Show & To Faze Into The New Smash, I'm Just Not Sure I Like Where It Is Going. I'll Hang In For A Couple More Episodes Before I Decide To Smash This Show for Good !!

by Anonymousreply 14102/06/2013

His name r139 is Robert Greenblatt, he was a college theater geek at NC School of the Arts with young director Joe Mantello and he produced the Broadway flop 9 to 5 directed by young Joe Mantello and starring Megan Hilty.

by Anonymousreply 14202/06/2013

LOL, R133!

I think the biggest problem with the show was inherently unfixable, and that was the casting of Katherine McPhee, an uninteresting charisma vacuum with dead eyes, in the role of the main protagonist.

I remember listening to a podcast last spring where one of the writers (NOT Theresa Rebeck) disagreed with one of the critics questioning McPhee's ability by saying, essentially, Midwestern fraus like her from American Idol and can relate to her outsider character.

Well, I guess they thought wrong because now NO ONE is watching Smash. Hopefully this means Katherine McPhee's collapse is complete because after years of her being shoved down our throats ("How about if I dye my hair blonde?! Maybe people will pay attention to me then???") now people in the business will get that we're NOT interested.

That duet with her Jennifer Hudson was like an SNL skit.

by Anonymousreply 14302/06/2013

Smash Season 2-less cringe-worthy; now extra boring!

by Anonymousreply 14402/06/2013

That number that Hilty sings at the end is nothing that the character of Marilyn who barely ever spoke above a breathy whisper would ever sing

by Anonymousreply 14502/06/2013

I guess the ratings were terrible. I don't see any improvement myself. Getting rid of Julia's scarves, husband and kid aren't enough for me. She's still acting like a 13-year-old. Ack!

by Anonymousreply 14602/06/2013

It doesn't matter. Hilty was so incredible it didn't matter that Marilyn would never have sung it!

by Anonymousreply 14702/06/2013

After Will & Grace, nobody wants to see Deb Messing acting sincere.

by Anonymousreply 14802/06/2013

the Newsies kid looks so young compared to the others

by Anonymousreply 14902/06/2013

CDAN Blind Item, A popular guess is Katherine McPhee: The ratings are barely in from this network show and this C+ list television actress who used to be a B+ list celebrity has started leaking that one of her C list actress co-stars is using drugs and sleeping around. The reason she is spreading the rumors is that she hopes that she can the actress fired to save her own job. Audiences have grown really tired of the horrible acting from our C+ lister and want her gone soon.

by Anonymousreply 15002/06/2013

I am not a fan of Jeremy Jordan's character at all. I agree with previous posters, he was a complete jackass, and it doesn't make any sense why he's so private and protective of his show, and that he doesn't need any help. As I watched him chew Karen out outside the party, I was thinking, "What is this asshole going to do, write, produce, cast, direct, and fund the fucking thing himself?"

Also, his haircut is terrible. The frightening lack of sideburns makes it look like he's wearing a wig.

by Anonymousreply 15102/06/2013

That recap woman that VotN linked to is the funniest fucking writer ever.

by Anonymousreply 15202/06/2013

R125, the sequence was shot in the Plaza Hotel.

And yeah, Rachel Shukert's Smash recaps are some of the funniest shit you'll ever read.

by Anonymousreply 15302/06/2013

Megan Hilty will not happen. If she were going to, she would have by now. There is absolutely nothing unique about her.

by Anonymousreply 15402/06/2013

Hilty has happened. How can you say she didn't "happen" at Encores last season? It was a triumph.

by Anonymousreply 15502/06/2013

Wow, the ratings were not just bad, they were abysmally low. Even though the season has been filmed, if NB keeps it on until the season's end I will be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 15602/06/2013

McPhee's character: "the human equivalent of one of those grocery store peaches that looks like a Cezanne but tastes like the inside of a mattress."

That Rachel Shukert is good.

by Anonymousreply 15702/06/2013

Yeah, you have to go back and read her recaps of last season. They're really amazing.

by Anonymousreply 15802/07/2013

Do you suppose of Glee performed one of the original songs from Smash, it would create a black hole that would consume the Earth and eventually the rest of the universe?

by Anonymousreply 15902/07/2013

I realize I'm going to be in the minority here, but I do not think Jeremy Jordan is cute. He's as average as average can be and no one would look twice at him if he wasn't on tv. That's not to say I don't think he's talented -- he seems to be a good young actor with a very nice singing voice -- but this notion that he's "so hot" is just so NOT the case in my opinion (and yes, his character, aside from being ludicrous, is a complete asshole and major turnoff).

As for the show, I think the second-season premiere was pretty bad and don't expect that "Smash" will be around for much longer. In fact, I'd be surprised, based on its anemic ratings the other night, if NBC doesn't cancel it immediately, yank it off the schedule for the rest of the season, and burn off the remaining episodes over the summer (where it might actually do better against lesser competition).

by Anonymousreply 16002/07/2013

I'm gonna agree. Jeremy Jordan is really goofy looking and his character type is so played out. Plus, he's SHORT. They made the mistake of doing a wide shot and McPhee was nearly towering over him. Guys, this is not the male lead stud that we're gonna believe is so brooding, intense, and charismatic that he just dominates the lives of all around him.

And lets talk about McPhee. God, what a charisma-free black hole. Wasn't this supposed to make her a STAH? She's a complete nonfactor onscreen. You don't know if she's this boring as an actress or if she's suffering from the writing but I'd guess the former.

With all the flaws last year, I still enjoyed Smash a lot. This season thus far is like they've given it a lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 16102/07/2013

I love you R85

by Anonymousreply 16202/07/2013

Too bad they couldn't use the plot of the Garson Kanin novel SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 16302/07/2013

I'll take two McPhee's, over one Hilty. She's far prettier and sings better than that sour faced pudgepot. I'm surprised during the hiatus Jenny didn't call and call and call.

by Anonymousreply 16402/07/2013

If you hadn't been told relentlessly that Smash has a new show runner, you certainly wouldn't guess it.

The writing is worse, not better and the actors often looked profoundly uncomfortable. Even last season the shots were strange and this continues in the 2 hour premiere.

Actors on this show are consistently shot at unflattering angles and the whole thing looks like it was put together in a mad rush and a wild panic with a "make it up as you go along" kind of feel.

It is unfair to be so critical of the actors all of whom have demonstrated much better chops in other projects with the exception of McPhee.

McPhee has a lovely singing voice but whatever her merits she projects NOT ONE THING that makes you think she could fill a Broadway house. There is nothing of a stage performer about her. Hilty on the other hand, does convince [because she is] as a Broadway performer.

I think they need to rethink who can carry this show. I don't think it is McPhee who might be better suited to a procedural or medical show rather than a personality driven thing like Smash.

Also, I have to say the stunt casting of Jordan Roth and various producers is really sad because they are so ill at ease and most of the audience has no fucking idea who Jordan Roth is. Get actors to PLAY producers. It won't look like the 2nd grade play all of the sudden in mid episode if you hire professional actors to play producers rather than try to get real ones to "play" themselves. It isn't cute and again, the majority of the audience doesn't know or care who they are.

Also Safran should ask himself is this really the best use of Harvey F. or Margo Martindale, putting Harvey on the street with all that background noise and distraction rather than in a bar or whatever where you could focus the scene?

Margo Martindale in a nothing part that draws on none of her gifts? Why not make her Borles mother or something that gives her something to do?

Riedel is at least not completely uncomfortable playing himself but they would bet MUCH more mileage hiring and actor to PLAY a Riedel TYPE rather then the real Riedel who at best can project none of his true sinister quality.

Also the Jeremy Jordan thing was just completely off base, don't try to make him into heart throb, make him into a sexy nerd and at least give him a chance to make a real impression on the show.

Best idea they had was to revive Will and Grace by having Borle live with her.

The casting and the casting concept for this show I think is what ultimately sinks it.

by Anonymousreply 16502/07/2013

'That number that Hilty sings at the end is nothing that the character of Marilyn who barely ever spoke above a breathy whisper would ever sing.'

Exactly. That's why Karen was the choice to play Marilyn at the end of last season not Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 16602/07/2013

The rating for the premiere are a death knell--NBC must be freaking out I wouldnt be surprised if they pulled the show after a few more episodes and burned the rest off on bravo

by Anonymousreply 16702/07/2013

Let us see....I've not watched it yet. Great idea but so far........

by Anonymousreply 16802/07/2013

To borrow from the theme of another thread, why would Hilty allow herself to get so pudgy?

You're in show business, one of the stars of a network show: Put down the cupcake!

by Anonymousreply 16902/07/2013

It would be nice to see Bobby as a well-fucked gay. The new guy, Andy Mientus, is as cute as can be.

by Anonymousreply 17002/07/2013

The Culture Vulture was, indeed, funny, but turned out to be stupid because she LIKED the show and thought it was better than last season.

by Anonymousreply 17102/07/2013

I'm glad people are seeing Jeremy Jordan is a horrible actor. Same thing happened on Broadway with Newsies. Because the guy is cute, people went apeshit after him.

Is he gorgeous? Yes.

Is he an okay singer? Yes.

Is he an okay actor? Yes.

Is he a primetime tv star?, whos singing and acting blows you away NO!

That's the problem with this show. We are to believe that Jeremy, McPhee, and the Bomshell show itself are all brialliant treasures that are waiting to be found, when they are all lackluster at best.

by Anonymousreply 17202/07/2013

I don't think Smash's Jeremy Jordan is "gorgeous." This Jeremy Jordan, OTOH...

by Anonymousreply 17302/07/2013

I think my favorite thing about the Vulture recaps are her descriptions of Deb's wardrobe. Deb wore something in S1 that was described as Julia's "tie-dyed thinking dirndl," which never fails to crack me up.

by Anonymousreply 17402/07/2013

[quote] Best idea they had was to revive Will and Grace by having Borle live with her.

I kind of agree. We got some of her energy finally.

However, this show is past saving, and with those ratings and how expensive the show is to produce it's DOA. I hope they play out the episodes over the summer so we can get Shukert's recaps.

by Anonymousreply 17502/07/2013

Wow, look at all of these comments about a show you all hate. It's a show produced by multiple gay men and look at the joy in ripping it apart. Very telling.

by Anonymousreply 17602/07/2013

[quote]Wow, look at all of these comments about a show you all hate. It's a show produced by multiple gay men and look at the joy in ripping it apart. Very telling.

Yes, indeed. It tells us you suffer from knee jerk gay-ghetto herdism and have no sense of personal, individual discernment.

by Anonymousreply 17702/07/2013

[quote]Wow, look at all of these comments about a show you all hate. It's a show produced by multiple gay men and look at the joy in ripping it apart. Very telling.

"Telling" that we can discern trash from treasure regardless of its provenance? Indeed.

I assume you're listening to your Clay Aiken CDs while sitting around in your Christopher Lowell-inspired living room.

by Anonymousreply 17802/07/2013

So Deb Messing's character is so needy that she needs to bunk with her writing partner? In real life, the co-creator of a show that's been running a long time (Heaven on Earth!) would get herself a suite at the Pierre.

by Anonymousreply 17902/07/2013

"Protect the work" is the new "I'm in tech."

by Anonymousreply 18002/07/2013

I expected so much more after reading multiple articles about "improving" SMASH.

The show seems more competent and not as outrageous, but it's also not as much fun -- not nearly as much fun.

Last season, I loved hating it. The premiere was just one big, stunning blah.

For all the Katherine McPhee hate on here, I don't think Megan Hilty can carry this show, either. I'm no huge fan of KM, but slamming her this hard? OF course, Hilty gets the "fat" label, which is also ridiculous. On this board, if a female weighs over 100 lbs., she's obese.

As lousy as the show was, I was shocked at the awful, awful ratings. I really thought there'd be a tune-in factor.

Since the entire season is already in the can, there's no way to fix what they're doing.

I'll continue to watch, hoping they at least give me something to hate.

by Anonymousreply 18102/07/2013

[quote] Since the entire season is already in the can, there's no way to fix what they're doing.

They're shooting at Times Square today.

by Anonymousreply 18202/07/2013

In an interview a couple days ago, McPhee said they were shooting episode 15.

They might be filming in Times Square today, but the season is pretty much wrapped.

by Anonymousreply 18302/07/2013

Gays, please have a little more patience.

Do you really think the shitteousness of last season could be tied up and wiped away, and new storylines could be set up perfectly in one episode?

Unlench. Retract the clawws. Hang in for a few episodes. It gets much better. But also, I think some honesty is called for with the Season One comparisons. I watched every Season One episode faithfully. These first two episodes, while wobbly at times, were far better than what Season One had become. I know we all enjoyed ripping S1 to shreds. I know I did. But you do yourself no favors when you dig in for the same meal, but something different is being served.

By the ratings, Smash is not long for the world. So you get 15 more episodes of one of the most lavish series on television with positive depictions of gay men, multiple original musicals... enjoy it while it lasts. And I promise, it gets better.

by Anonymousreply 18402/07/2013

R184, how do you know it gets better?

by Anonymousreply 18502/07/2013

R184 While I agree with your point, what we saw on Tuesday consisted of TWO episodes, not one.

by Anonymousreply 18602/07/2013

There used to be a SMASH insider who used to post in the older thread. Maybe he is the one who is saying "it gets better."

I think the first two episodes were fine, and I do hope this gets better (and finds its audience!)

personally, I would rather watch a show like SMASH than another NCI retread.

by Anonymousreply 18702/07/2013

r184 seems like he's exhorting us to the battlefield. Like it's our duty to some gay cultural god to give this piece of shit a chance.

by Anonymousreply 18802/07/2013

Could it be perhaps that SMASH doesn't really appeal to gay people? I have two female friends whoa re so ga ga about it.

Perhaps SMASH is just more straight-centric than gay-centric.

by Anonymousreply 19002/07/2013

It's sort of interesting that after the initial success of "Glee," both it and the music-oriented shows that succeeded it ("Smash" and "Nashville") have not done too well in the ratings. I know that "Glee" probably still is profitable due to music sales, but can the same be said for the other two shows?

by Anonymousreply 19102/07/2013

Well R184, if you promise me Tiffani Thiessen and her bloated face arent on any further episodes maybe I'll watch. Damn fat facer.

by Anonymousreply 19202/07/2013

Hilty just carries too much weight in her face, otherwise she looks fine, no great beauty though.

JHud is over-rated IMHO. She over enunciates her singing, I don't like it. I thought Hilty was superior in the big number she did.

They need to just stop the Jeremy Jordan story line and get rid of McPhee. She sucks.

The show is still a mess but I kind of love it.

by Anonymousreply 19302/07/2013

I hope the Ellis character doesn't really come back, he was awful. Plus, he was so short and who still wears a Jheri curl? Blech.

by Anonymousreply 19402/07/2013

The show finishes shooting on March 6th.

They're not in Times Square today, they're at the Plaza Hotel.

Don't ask me how I come to know such things.

by Anonymousreply 19502/07/2013

Marc, the show would improve tenfold if they just lightened and softened Anjelica Huston's lipstick color.

by Anonymousreply 19602/07/2013

This show is just a Glee-wannabe, only it takes place on Broadway instead. These "musical" shows are lame now - just look at Glee's ratings these days.

People want to watch a musical in a movie, where after 2 hours or so, it's done. People don't want to watch a weekly musical on TV every week anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19702/07/2013

This thing is about to jump the shark. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 19802/07/2013

[quote]This thing is about to jump the shark. Awful.

That thing about 3 miles back in McPhee's rear-view mirror is the shark, dead on the road.

by Anonymousreply 19902/07/2013

The shark got jumped at least "I'M IN TECH!" if not from the moment Karen didn't know the words to Hava Nagila at the Bar Mitzvah.

by Anonymousreply 20002/07/2013

R169 - It's actually refreshing to see someone a little chubby on a major TV show,

by Anonymousreply 20102/07/2013

[quote]They're not in Times Square today, they're at the Plaza Hotel.Don't ask me how I come to know such things.

We shall call you Bellhop.

[quote]Hilty on the other hand, does convince [because she is] as a Broadway performer.

And there you have it. It's tired old Theater Queens that are praising Hilty. Because she's from Broadway, although she hasn't had any triumphs. TQ's hate when American Idols dare to come anywhere near Broadway, even an imaginary night time soap Broadway. McPhee did more in the first five minutes with "They Just Keep Moving the Line" than Hilty did the whole show combined.

by Anonymousreply 20202/07/2013

I just wish one of the gals would show their chops by singing a B'way classic . . . If I Loved You or I Could Have Danced All Night or Everything's Coming Up Rose's What. Then we'd know how they would fare on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 20302/07/2013

Bernadette Peters, Ivy's mom on Smash, sang 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' last season...and a full 'Rose's Turn' on the the Smash DVDs' deleted scenes

by Anonymousreply 20402/07/2013

I had read most of this thread before watching it last night and I found myself entertained.

I didn't worry too much about perfect plotting or character motivations I just let the cartoon like atmosphere wash over me.

Hilty is hot, great curvy body. Macphee is hot as Marilyn and not as bad an actress as you all say.

Hudson wipes the floor with all of them, hot and can SING. ...and a decent actress.

Charming, fun and great with popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 20502/08/2013

I really liked Moving the Line

by Anonymousreply 20602/08/2013

r184 this is 165 replying. My post wasn't motivated by bitchiness, I acknowledge and respect the talent of all involved. Somewhere tough, in the process this production is failing itself in the casting CONCEPT and the below the line people either not being allowed the time to set up properly or design properly or just being the wrong team.

The show has to look better for it to succeed. That isn't the actors fault they are all attractive people they need to be dressed, lit and set up better. There really is no excuse for this.

The criticism I made about using "real life" behind the scenes people is a very valid one as is the square peg round hole conception of the Jeremy Jordan character.

If you are Marc then I know you have access to the unredacted "nastiest person on Broadway threads part 1 and 2" there are two specific stories in those threads that were heavily edited but originally provided some very good story points for SMASH should they want it. I can't repeat them here or they will be removed for legal reasons. Reading those threads even edited between the lines and knowing some well known gossip can help piece it togehter if you don't have those printouts we were all reading a few years ago.

I know how the network can be and I know what you all went through last year only second hand but I think the show could be great and my critique was meant in that spirit, sorry if it came off bitchy.

Why didn't someone get the idea to have Margo Martindale play a Liz McCann type or somebody like that?

by Anonymousreply 20702/08/2013

If I were the EP of Smash, I would fire:

Jeremy Jordan,

Katharine McPhee,

Leslie Odem Jr,

Krysta Rodriguez,

And make the show just about the musical and focus on Megan Hilty as Marilyn and keep Huston, Messing, Bernadette Peters, Borle, Davenport, Wesley Taylor, Mietnus, and bring back Raza Jaffrey as a love interest for Hilty.

by Anonymousreply 20802/08/2013

The DL is a bitchy place, no big deal. I'm just saying, give the new season a fair shake. I think, by the end of it, people will be sorry to see it go. We certainly won't see a show on its scale on television again soon, possibly ever.

by Anonymousreply 20902/08/2013

I agree. For sure this will be its final season, as there is probably no chance it will get renewed, with its ratings right now. We may not even get the full season aired. Let's enjoy this while we still can see it. After this, no one will dare do a show about Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 21002/08/2013

Everyone seemed to love/hate this show last year, so I'm surprised it isn't doing well in the ratings this season.

Maybe they will go up?

by Anonymousreply 21102/08/2013

The premiere was OK, but for all the press they did about how improved it was going to be, it was impossible to live up to the hype.

The characters they are adding are steps in the right direction, but the bottom line is that Borle and Messing are terribly boring AND no one cares anymore if Hilty or McPhee become Marilyn.

And maybe I'm just a theatre snob, but that extremely mediocre Joe Iconis song? The one that everyone was creaming over? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to laugh when the chorus boy compared it to Larson.

by Anonymousreply 21202/08/2013

There are whispers now that no further episodes are going to be be aired. This may be it for SMASH. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 21302/08/2013

Hey, at least they beat "Emily Owens, M.D."

by Anonymousreply 21402/08/2013

What R208 said.

by Anonymousreply 21502/08/2013

[quote] There are whispers now that no further episodes are going to be be aired. This may be it for SMASH. Sad.

Would they really just shelve the whole thing? I guess that happens a lot, but it seems so wasteful if they already have the episodes in the can.

by Anonymousreply 21602/08/2013

Megan Hilty loos like a miniature blonde version of Shrek. This bitch could conceivably play Marilyn Monroe? Please. But the unfortunate-looking filly's got pipes to spare. Her "They Keep Moving the Line" was showstopping.

by Anonymousreply 21702/08/2013

Katharine McPhee's acting has not improved, her scenes have zero impact. Jennifer Hudson's voice is shrill and too loud, I can't listen to her.

by Anonymousreply 21802/08/2013

If they cancel it now, would NBC burn off the remaining episodes this summer?

by Anonymousreply 21902/08/2013

R165, your point about the hiring of the likes of Daryl Roth, Michael Riedel and Robyn Goodman to play themselves is highly valid. Robyn Goodman became a producer because she stunk as an actress in her 20's...and she still stinks!

by Anonymousreply 22002/08/2013

I loved "20th Century Fox Mambo" or whatever it was called. After that, not much.... sad....

by Anonymousreply 22102/08/2013

The whisper campaign is not coming from the network but from haters.

Not happening.

by Anonymousreply 22202/08/2013

R165, you'll be pleased to know that David Cromer shot a scene at the Plaza yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 22302/08/2013

I don't think they'll pull SMASH, because NBC has fuck-all to put on in its place.

But Season 1 did manage to exude something that inspired perverse fascination. That opener of Season 2 was just amazingly bad in every way, and obviously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 22402/08/2013

I think it's admirable that they want to use real people like Riedel, Roth, etc. but every time they're on screen it's super awkward because they're not actors. Harvey though really sold it.

by Anonymousreply 22502/08/2013

It seems a mistake to add more to the show when the foundation is so shaky to begin with. What if they had Borle and Messing shoot each other in a duel on 10th avenue.

by Anonymousreply 22602/08/2013

I can never decide if I truly like or hate something until I read it on DL.

Thanks guys! I was leaning towards hating it!

by Anonymousreply 22702/08/2013

Maybe it will do better when it's on at its regular time, and in a one-hour slot. The competition (Vegas and the returning Body of Proof) isn't that great.

by Anonymousreply 22802/08/2013

The problem, ratings wise, for a show like SMASH : People in the biz know that, yes, there is a certain amount of bitchiness and jealousy and resentment because someone else got the role you wanted and so on BUT basically the producing, directing, rehearsing and polishing of a show is hard work, exhausting, and a very serious business from start to finish and often very tedious. Theatre people see shows about their business and they think : "That's not what it's like at all. This is all campy crap trying to make it more exciting than it really is."

As for the general public, they don't really want to know what goes on in a rehearsal. They pay to come experience the magic of a night in the theatre and couldn't care less what pain and suffering and what conflicts happened while working on the show.

So --- a show like SMASH--there's really no audience for it.

by Anonymousreply 22902/08/2013

Actually the problem, ratings wise, is that e networks are giving away the show On-Demand before the premiere and still expect people to tune in. The rating need to re-hauled to include DVR's and On-Demand. Especially ON-Demand where a lot of networks don't allow skipping head of commercials.

by Anonymousreply 23002/08/2013

So how much longer before they cancel this cheesy shit?

by Anonymousreply 23102/08/2013

Who knows what they'll do? They could see it through no matter what the carnage.

After all, this was the network that cancelled Law & Order just shy of a record.

by Anonymousreply 23202/08/2013

Now that Do No Harm is cancelled maybe they'll move Smash to Thursday at 10 pm and move Hannibal into Smash's current time slot where it can benefit from The Voice lead-in.

by Anonymousreply 23302/08/2013

Hilty may not be obese, but she's noticeably heavier than last season. I found that puzzling since this show would seem to be her biggest breakthrough opportunity to date.

McPhee may be flat in her line delivery, but I think she's sensational in all the Bombshell numbers. So I don't understand the critique that she'd never make it on Broadway. Quite a few successful performers are reserved or pretty bland IRL.

I also maintain that there's a purposeful distinction between Hilty's intense, actressy persona and McPhee's more reserved character (to the extent anything on this show is purposeful).

Deborah Messing looks thinner and had some of her old spark back, which was good to see.

Brian D'Arcy came off poorly. He has a 90's hairdo and dear God that leprechaun green wardrobe didn't help.

I was really looking forward to Jeremy Jordan, as I've not had the chance to see him onstage. I can't stand him. He's not that hot, his voice is just okay, and he infuses his asshole character with zero redeeming charm or smoldering hotness. I wouldn't mind if a building falls on him in the next episode (which is not out of the realm of possibility on this show).

I like JHud, I just wish she would speak up a little when she says her lines. Which is something, considering her big singing voice.

The staged production numbers are so good on this show, I will really miss them when the show eventually gets yanked.

OTOH, the numbers incorporating pop music, like the Eurythmics song last week, are nearly always terrible. I thought they were going to stop that because they never work.

Overall, I was terribly disappointed in the numerous stupid plot points, including all the silly lying about that Actor's Benefit. I do hope things start to improve and that it stays on the air for the balance of the season.

Some may be bitchy out of rooting for it to fail; I criticize because I am (contrary to a post above) very interested in a show about Broadway, onstage and off, and want this one to be good.

by Anonymousreply 23402/09/2013

Like you, R234, I want the thing to succeed. It's got a great idea behind it. The execution is just so badly done and I think looking worse in new hands.

by Anonymousreply 23502/09/2013

I am friends with a credited technical creative on the show, and when I praised her work after the premiere, all she could say was that I would love the dance numbers in the next 3 episodes. Apparently they all know it's a mess.

by Anonymousreply 23602/09/2013

Does your friend say they're trying to do anything about it, R236? I'd love to see it survive but I wonder how many false starts one show can survive. Has there even been a show that finally hit after two (presumably) uneven to bad seasons and dismal ratings? I think they're going for the wrong demographic. They should be doing a show for adults with money.

by Anonymousreply 23702/09/2013

When Anjelica's ex-husband texted "proceed with the plan" or whatever stupid shit that was, they should have had him twirling his mustache like the cartoon villain he is meant to be.

Poor Anjelica. You know you've fallen hard when you're doing a scene with Margo Martindale (who I do love, BTW) and she looks prettier than you.

I really liked Jeremy Jordan in Joyful Noise and Newsies and I hated him in this. And it wasn't just the lack of sideburns or how short and scrawny he looked. His character was an asshole for no reason and the suggestion that he was some kind of lothario was laughable.

I thought Hilty's performance at the benefit was sensational. The circumstances were pretty ridiculous, but she was great.

Why waste time by having the director accused of sexual harassment? Who cares?

Does Katherine McPhee watch herself on camera and get embarrassed or does she somehow fool herself into thinking she is actually a credible actress? Some of her musical numbers are good, but she was laughable in her duet with Jennifer Hudson.

Why oh why would they bring Ellis back? Couldn't stand the actor or the character. And let's not forget, he poisoned someone.

Such a dilemma: you're a chorus boy suddenly offered a substantial part in the "Mormon" roadshow. Should you take it and advance your career or stay in NYC so your new honky sugar daddy doesn't get tempted by some fresh piece of meat?

by Anonymousreply 23802/09/2013

Especially a sugar daddy who resembles a freshwater fish.

by Anonymousreply 23902/09/2013

Why are there never any nasty comments about Christian Borle's pathetic jaw line?

by Anonymousreply 24002/09/2013

Because we haven't finished with his bug eyes.

by Anonymousreply 24102/09/2013

Still find it hard to believe Christian Borle is straight. Not saying he really isn't, just that I never would've imagined that to be the case.

by Anonymousreply 24202/09/2013

Hey, we actually beat these chicks on "Idol"- when do we get a series?

by Anonymousreply 24302/09/2013

I can't get over JHud's dead eyes and junior high spring play line delivery. I don't want to live in a world where she EGOTs.

The only time I really believe Smash is actually about a Broadway show is when Hilty sings. She's amazing, and I think the complaints about her being unremarkable until she's on stage means she's playing her character really well. That's exactly how Ivy is supposed to be perceived, and why she struggles so much in comparison to Karen, who's average at best but has the X factor Ivy doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 24402/09/2013

Hilty brings to show to life when she sings.

by Anonymousreply 24502/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 24602/09/2013

A friend of mine told me that Daphne Rubin-Vega is playing a press agent this season. So in the Smash universe Rent exists (it was mentioned in the season premiere) but Daphne Rubin-Vega didn't play Mimi?

by Anonymousreply 24702/10/2013

New and pretty funny Smash blog:

by Anonymousreply 24802/11/2013

That blog's pretty fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 24902/11/2013

Was the original director Michael (Spring Awakening) Mayer fired or did he choose to leave this season? Why wasn't he blamed for so much of last season's mess?

In any case, he's now on to directing a pilot of The Hatfields and the McCoys.

by Anonymousreply 25002/11/2013

McPhee has a lovely voice, but she can't act her way out of a wet paper bag. She deserves a Razzie.

I'm liking Huston and Messing more this season. Need more Borle. Still love Hilty.

Those of you who don't think Jeremy Jordan is delicious are blind or crazy. I want him so deeply inside me.

by Anonymousreply 25102/11/2013

Luke MacFarlane from The Sally Field Program will be playing a Hugh Jackman type actor (meaning he's gay) who Tom has a crush on. He started shooting this week and will appear in the last two episodes in May.

by Anonymousreply 25202/15/2013

I really hope they're tidying up the storylines at the end of the season as there is no way now that this show will be renewed, escpecially after Comcast has bought NBC

by Anonymousreply 25302/15/2013

I don't think Mayer left under bad terms. A director from the first season, Michael Morris, has directed a lot of the episodes for this season. The directors were never the problem it was the fat bitch in charge of the writing.

by Anonymousreply 25402/15/2013

R253 Why does Comcast hate Smash so much?

by Anonymousreply 25502/15/2013

[quote]Luke MacFarlane from The Sally Field Program will be playing a Hugh Jackman type actor (meaning he's gay) who Tom has a crush on.

I like Leslie Odom and would've liked to see him stay in the show as Tom's bf; however, the problem was that the writers never gave him an actual character to play. He was reduced to just being the stereotypical God-fearing black person who took his friends to church, listened to their problems, and beyond that had no real personality or role of his own.

by Anonymousreply 25602/15/2013

Leslie Odom Jr. doesn't have charisma as an actor, therefore even if he had a character to play it wouldn't have worked.

by Anonymousreply 25702/16/2013

R247, that has bothered me all along. In the Smash world, Harvey Fierstein, Jordan Roth, Michael Reidel, and christ even Mary Testa are all part of the scene, but Bernadette Peters isn't Bernadette Peters?

by Anonymousreply 25802/16/2013

Hey Bellhop / R257 / 254 / 252 / etc:

Quit it with the spoilers? You do a disservice to all the people who put such hard work into creating a season of television.

by Anonymousreply 25902/16/2013

Fortunately, R259, we're talking about SMASH here.

by Anonymousreply 26002/16/2013

It's interesting, listening to the Broadway singers sing (Hilty, Michelle) I realize more clearly how bad most all the popular singers are today. The Broadway singers use all the colors in their voices and really interpret a song they don't just stand there trying to be loud and only hit big notes. And I'm realizing that I miss that, singers that interpret songs and who show some restraint.

by Anonymousreply 26102/16/2013

Should there not have been another episode this week?

by Anonymousreply 26202/16/2013

It got pre-empted this week for the State of the Union, mercifully.

First time I've said that.

by Anonymousreply 26302/16/2013

They totally fucked up with the delay on Bombshell. You can't have a series disappear for six months and then suspend what little momentum anybody recalls.

by Anonymousreply 26402/16/2013

[quote] Sorry, "JHud," I eat real food.

SO do most people who follow Weight Watchers. There is no requirement to eat theirs or others frozen diet food, and WW is one of the few programs that does not require you eat only their food. In fact they do not even have a "buy our food" program as part of their plan.

by Anonymousreply 26502/16/2013

[quote] Megan Hilty loos like a miniature blonde version of Shrek. This bitch could conceivably play Marilyn Monroe? Please.

You've obviously never actually seen her on stage. The film camera may not be kind, but she look marvelous on stage.

by Anonymousreply 26602/16/2013

R260, Bellhop clearly has information by working close to the series. I am just reminding him that it's shitty to spill it here the way he is.

by Anonymousreply 26702/16/2013

R259/Marc Shaiman, are you serious? Don't worry, though, I won't post major spoilers on here. But I'll dispense goodies on here whenever I damn well please.

by Anonymousreply 26802/16/2013

Fine.

by Anonymousreply 26902/16/2013

Post me a major, Bellhop... I live with fading hope for this show.

Acutally, screw the spoilers, tell me the dismal performance of the opening episodes has them frantically course correcting.

Not to the point of Ellis returning, mind you... but this thing needs major work if it's going to last the season, yet alone have another.

by Anonymousreply 27002/16/2013

Their big mistake was making the first hour of the show available to view online before the premiere? Of course your ratings will tank when people have already perceived that they've seen the premiere episode.

by Anonymousreply 27102/16/2013

Spoilers are revelations of future plot points. I don't want to see any of those.

But discussions about the behind-the-scenes machinations? Nothing even remotely spoilerish about that.

by Anonymousreply 27202/16/2013

Well put, R272. R259 seems to have confused the two.

by Anonymousreply 27302/16/2013

R271, giving it all away on the net has been the downfall of so many and so much.

Kids today think it's stupid to buy any print publications because they can get all that info online.

For free.

by Anonymousreply 27402/16/2013

What did he spoil? that Luke is gong to be on the show? Big effin deal. I actually label spoilers - it's not like we will see the rest of the season now that it is getting alltime low ratings.

by Anonymousreply 27502/16/2013

I agree that mentioning Luke as a boyfriend is really not a spoiler in the true sense of the word. But, I do think NBC will stick it out with "Smash" through this season.

by Anonymousreply 27602/17/2013

R276 - we are hearing cancellation notice may come sooner than later. Kinda sad .

by Anonymousreply 27702/17/2013

And where are you "hearing" this, R277?

Fanblogs don't count as real news sources.

by Anonymousreply 27802/17/2013

So is Luke really in Smash? I can't see this any where but Dl ..

by Anonymousreply 27902/18/2013

Any one watching this tonight?

by Anonymousreply 28002/19/2013

Watching now and I'm sorry but I absolutely cannot stand the Jeremy Jordan character. He's such a smug, know-it-all asshole and makes you almost not want to watch anymore just because of him.

And I think one of my main problems with SMASH is the same problem I have with GLEE: I can't stand when one character is propped up as being SO AMAZING and everyone around her is virtually made out to be a second-rate hack in comparison. That's the way GLEE treats Rachel and that's how SMASH treats Karen, and the reason it's so ridiculous is the fact anyone can see from watching the show that neither of them is any better than anybody else in the room, let alone in the entire theater industry.

by Anonymousreply 28102/19/2013

I dont know how its even possible-but this gets even worse every week

by Anonymousreply 28202/19/2013

"Their big mistake was making the first hour of the show available to view online before the premiere?"

Forget it. I watched that first hour On-Demand after the show appeared but it was so awful I realized life is too short. I gave up on the show with no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 28302/19/2013

I agree with everyone. The Jeremy Jordan character is awful and he ruins this show.

by Anonymousreply 28402/19/2013

Jennifer Hudson cannot speak lines

by Anonymousreply 28502/19/2013

would anyone be surprised if NBC never aired another episode after tonight?

by Anonymousreply 28602/19/2013

Why did the cutie get punched? And by whom? I turned my head for thirty seconds and I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 28702/19/2013

I think Karen ruins the show. She hasn't got any essence of Marilyn. Nada.

by Anonymousreply 28802/19/2013

Jeremy Jordan is awful on this show and the show itself is both a train wreck and a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 28902/19/2013

Jennifer Hudson is terrible. She's as bad as Katharine McPhee. And the composer character is terrible. Also the JFK/Marilyn number was so bad I had to turn the channel (it was like watching a train wreck in slo mo).

What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 29002/19/2013

Wow. Awful, awful, awful.

In one scene Julia mentions Russell Crowe and in the very next scene Jimmy mentions "the crazy guy in A Beautiful Mind." How clever is that? Jesus.

I know they're shooting a huge amount in Times Square but tonight's scene there looked like fucking CGI!

And Bernie Telsey is hideous looking even with good lighting.

by Anonymousreply 29102/19/2013

so-they hired Matt Bogart-so that Julian Ovenden could play JFK in the musical sequences??

by Anonymousreply 29202/19/2013

Sunjata is really gay and uncomfortable in this.

Just kill it already, it's beyond dead.

by Anonymousreply 29302/19/2013

Well when half the people they hire aren't actors, it's bound to have no nuance or likability of certain characters. Hot with a great voice does not mean the fuckers can act.

by Anonymousreply 29402/19/2013

So no one liked the description of the new musical?

No one liked Ivy's fantasy where she was singing about being on her own romantically while dancing through another dance number, led by her romantic rival, that was moving to completely different music that we couldn't hear, yet was in time with Ivy's moves?

by Anonymousreply 29502/19/2013

[quote]I know they're shooting a huge amount in Times Square but tonight's scene there looked like fucking CGI!

Damn, R291, I was wondering the exact same thing. For a minute I couldn't tell if they had shot the scene on location in Times Square or if it had been done using a "green screen." It totally took me out of the scene and anything important they might have been saying.

by Anonymousreply 29602/19/2013

They really have to stop doing mash-ups of Katherine McPhee and Megan Hilty performing the same songs. It was one of the most distractingly bad things about the first season. You can't show the two of them together, and then pretend in the next scene that Katherine McPhee has more talent and capability than Megan Hilty.

We have EYES and EARS, so we know there's no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 29702/19/2013

When is someone going to slap the shit out of Jack Davenport and make him open his mouth and enunciate?

by Anonymousreply 29802/19/2013

I love you DL bitches. And last season, tonight's episode would have been it's own 20-page thread. This show is toast.

What is it about SMASH that brings out the suck in everyone?

R293 is correct: Sunjata, a hot, sexy presence onstage, is queeny and irritating here. Jeremy Jordan looks like a melting chew-toy (explain his haircut, please) as he plays the least likeable character since, well, Ellis. Poor Jenn Hud looks lost (and keeps slipping in and out of her street/Effie accent.)

And Hilty doing a very abridged "Dancing On My Own" was a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 29902/19/2013

Megan and Kat didn't perform the same song... Kat danced to a Bombshell song while Megan, in fantasy, danced to and sang a Robyn song at the same time, interacting with Kat and her dancers while also isolated from them. That seems, I don't know, totally different than last season and pretty interesting, if you ask me. It would be easy to say, hey, you are just strapped down to hate-watch these new episodes, no matter how much better, worse, or the same they are. Right, wrong? Hard to tell. But R291 and R296 revel in the lack of verisimilitude of a scene that was shot on location in Times Square with the same crews who shoot every other show shot in NYC, so, I don't know. Enjoy more Real Housewives and American Horror Story?

by Anonymousreply 30002/19/2013

I giggled over LIASIONS.... you know Madeleine Kahn won a Best Featured TONY for her Celeste in the original!

Which would have had to have been in... 1968 or so.

And yes, THE HIT LIST sounds fucking horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 30102/19/2013

R296, it was the new showrunner Joshua Safran's idea to do a ton of location work in Times Square for this season. The crew has been HATING this, especially in the past three months. 3 am on a Saturday morning in the middle of Times Square, which is a fucking wind tunnel, is not fun. And it ends up looking like CGI, anyway.

Daniel Sunjata looks stiff and ill at ease, doesn't he? That's because he was. And poor Jennifer Hudson had to be spoonfed every line because she was absolutely terrible during the dialogue scenes. And she was shooting an indie movie in NYC at the exact same time so her focus was split, probably to the detriment of both projects.

by Anonymousreply 30202/19/2013

Jennifer can sell a song like no one's business. And she's looking marvelous. But she needs a speech class. Seriously. I thought the same thing in the SEX AND THE CITY movie.

by Anonymousreply 30302/19/2013

I was talking about "Just Keep Moving The Line", R300. Which they both sang tonight. "Kat" in the rehearsal hall, which then switched to Megan Hilty on video from the workshop performance.

by Anonymousreply 30402/19/2013

I liked it. I'm going to watch it next week if it's on.

by Anonymousreply 30502/19/2013

That Marilyn/JFK song was just horrible. I did like the last scene with Jordan, McPhee and Davenport, too bad it ended so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 30602/19/2013

I love Daniel Sunjata but that is a badly written role that would do no one favors. Jeremy Jordan suffers from being a mediocre actor in a hideous role that no one could play either and come off well. I think smash self-sabatoges like no other show on tv. It's bad in every way!

by Anonymousreply 30702/19/2013

Who was the actor playing JFK?

And I love me some Shaiman/Wittman, honestly. But that was not one of the brighter BOMBSHELL moments.

by Anonymousreply 30802/19/2013

Apparently I'm the only person on earth who likes Karen or McPhee, but I do. There, I said it.

They would have done better to let Theresa Rebeck try another season with a trimmed cast. Again, there's no momentum for Season 1 viewers. It was all about Bombshell and that storyline is listing. I don't even care if it goes to Broadway.

Plus, where are the dancers we knew? It was a strong company last year. This year, when you see them, they're just... extras.

After a bad start there was nothing in this episode to turn the ratings around. They've fucked it up. Thanks, Gossip Boy.

by Anonymousreply 30902/19/2013

And the JFK song was horrible. It's not even worth insulting. Granted, it's hard to sell singing Presidents but if that's hot sex, I'll just jerk off, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 31002/19/2013

Why is Theresa Rebeck still listed as Executive Producer? Is she? I thought she was history, once and for all.

On the plus side, Deb Messing is dressing... better. The all-black was flattering. The plaid dress, a good deal less.

by Anonymousreply 31102/20/2013

R308, Julian Ovenden played JFK. He's British, has done musicals in London and NY, was Jane Krakowski's bf for a while and somehow managed to get cast by Darren Star in a godawful ABC soap called Cashmere Mafia. I wonder what Ovenden had to do with Star to secure that job?

by Anonymousreply 31202/20/2013

My favorite part of the episode was J. Hud's brief "Home" from the Wiz. Since that was supposed to be kind of a throw away moment, that isn't good news for the show itself. The whole thing was a train wreck. I blame Marc and Scott and Neil and Craig. They have created utter shit and no one was strong enough to tell them otherwise. I can imagine the ego on that set.

Plus I agree with everyone, Jeremy Jordan is awful on this show. One of the most annoying characters ever.

by Anonymousreply 31302/20/2013

Aww, r291 hates Smash so much he goes on multiple websites and writes the same review. EW and Datalounge to name two. How odd. When I hate something I just change channel.

by Anonymousreply 31402/20/2013

And yet, here you are, R314...

by Anonymousreply 31502/20/2013

Oh, R314...you are tiresome.

When JFK sang to Marilyn "Let's do this for our country" I thought "Aww, they're referencing Grease 2! How sweet." Well, the lyric about the cold war was original, at least. Nice work, Scott Wittman!

by Anonymousreply 31602/20/2013

[quote] nervous/my Secret Service..."

Hey, R308!

I used that same lyric in MR. PRESIDENT in 1962.

So don't knock it!

by Anonymousreply 31702/20/2013

Best line of the night:

[quote] IVY: They're looking at big names for the part of Cecille. People like Cat Damiano and Jessie Mueller.

Everyone in America - even those in the NY Theater Community - all said at the same time:

[quote] WHO?

by Anonymousreply 31802/20/2013

Oh, I'm sorry I'm interrupting this group cuntdom. Nothing allowed here but vile toxicity and hatred. Got it. Stew in your misery. It apparently gives your shitty, shitty egos purpose.

by Anonymousreply 31902/20/2013

[quote]Oh, I'm sorry I'm interrupting this group cuntdom. Nothing allowed here but vile toxicity and hatred. Got it. Stew in your misery. It apparently gives your shitty, shitty egos purpose.

I don't think it's our egos that are out of joint here.

by Anonymousreply 32002/20/2013

It must be pointed out that at least in the original novel by de Lasclos, LES LIASIONS DANGEREUSES, Cecile is a teenage schoolgirl who falls in love with her music tutor but is seduced by the Vicomte de Valmont.

Now, I know this is supposed to be Broadway. But look at Megan Hilty and say to yourself "teenage schoolgirl."

Hmmm.

Now, back to your regular programming.

by Anonymousreply 32102/20/2013

R319 = Ellis, still in search of a plotline.

by Anonymousreply 32202/20/2013

No r295, that was derivative. It's been done before, and better.

Also, one of the things that's Hilty can't do is sing pop music. Her voice is too big and geared toward show music. It's like an opera singer trying to sing Wicked. Itjust doesn't work. McPhee has the exact opposite problem. She cannot sing show music, but can sing pop. One of the highlights musically last season was McPhee covering Snow Patrol, for example.

Hilty comes alive when she sings, but only when it's older style show music. It's why she had a big success with Encores this past season. The style suits her. She isn't modern. I don't mean that as an insult. She also isn't suited for TV acting. She has two attitudes she can convey, mildly bitchy, and mopey. It's not enough.

McPhee is such a terrible actress, it's pointless to waste time to describe her.

Really, the fundamental problem with this show is casting and concept. Adding more people to the mix is a distraction and not helping. JHud only comes alive when she sings, but her musical taste is gauche and off. That "Home" for example was just wrong. When she's inspired it's interesting but I don't have faith that she'll be guided in the right direction on this show and she needs VERY strong guidance. She can't read lines, at all. Some of te worst acting I've seen on TV in years, and I GUARANTEE she will get an Emmy for this. That's just sad. Sunjata is already dead wrong. He comes off as Grace Adler's new potential creepy gay BFF. Jeremy Jordan is being wasted in this pissy role where he comes off as mildly petulant.

The whole thing just continues to embarrass everyone involved. Now it's not fun to hate watch, it's just fucking depressing. I keep watching hoping that it will get better and it just doesn't. There is no one who knows theater who is guiding this ship.

Really, it needs to just die.

by Anonymousreply 32302/20/2013

Is NBC committed to the entire Season 2?

I can only imagine the ratings for tonight will rival the premiere. And are they even promoting it anymore?

by Anonymousreply 32402/20/2013

NBC is committed to FILMING a full season 2, not AIRING it. But out of respect to Spielberg, they'll air it - perhaps take it off for May sweeps and burn the episodes off in the summer, but the full season is already in the can so it's up to the network to decide WHEN to air it.

Can I say that Jeremy Jordan needs to stay on Broadway and NOT do TV or Film? Seeing him close up shows he is totally UNATTRACTIVE.

by Anonymousreply 32502/20/2013

[quote]Daniel Sunjata looks stiff and ill at ease, doesn't he? That's because he was. And poor Jennifer Hudson had to be spoonfed every line because she was absolutely terrible during the dialogue scenes.

Here's the problem. If you people who run this show and and create it are aware this is happening, realize that we are all going to see it as well. It's patently obvious.

Why would you think that this is acceptable to air? Why would you think it's original or good? Why would you think that people are going to not leave in droves?

NBC audiences are stupid, but not THAT stupid, and you're also asking people who are fans of theater and who are going to be fairly discerning to just roll over and praise something that sucks just because it's something that doesn't appear on TV often? Come on.

You've had over fifteen episodes and millions upon millions of dollars of production and promtion to pull your shit together. This is your fault, not the audience's fault for not "getting" what you're doing. We get it, and it's bad.

By the way, I'm talking to you as if you're part of production because you write as if you are.

by Anonymousreply 32602/20/2013

I loved the moment after the JFK number when Katherine McPhee ran out into the Flat Iron District in costume but in her Marilyn costume and YET holding her Marilyn wig in her hands.....as if we had to be reminded she had just played Marilyn.

Holding her wig in her hands!!!

by Anonymousreply 32702/20/2013

I am wondering if Daniel Sunjata's performance was a little "quirky" because we will eventualy find out he is bisexual and coming on to both Deb and her writer partner whathisname?

Please don't consider that a spoiler. I have no idea what I'm talking about....just wondering....

Just please don't hire Daniel and keep him clothed.

by Anonymousreply 32802/20/2013

[quote]Oh, I'm sorry I'm interrupting this group cuntdom. Nothing allowed here but vile toxicity and hatred. Got it. Stew in your misery. It apparently gives your shitty, shitty egos purpose.

To those here who think the rest of us are being cunty and hateful just for the sake of being cunty and hateful, I am 100% on SMASH's side and want the show to succeed both creatively and commercially. It's just that so far this season -- and yes, it's only three hours old -- it's just been dreadful and all of the fun of the first season has been sadly lacking.

But still I'm hanging in and hoping for a turnaround. I still want it to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 32902/20/2013

Were the ratings any better?

by Anonymousreply 33002/20/2013

Does Jennifer Hudson have an IQ? Seriously. The woman gives Sophia Coppola in Godfather III a run for her money in terms of god-awful, wooden, mouth-breathing acting awfulness. It's an inarguable fact that the Academy woke up the next morning with the worst case of buyers remorse in its history after giving her an Oscar for acting. And, if you ask me, her "singing" is unpleasant screeching and caterwauling.

by Anonymousreply 33102/20/2013

I agree with everyone it isn't being snarky and cunty it's an opinion. A lot of gay men had high hopes for Smash and it is so disappointing to see it crash the way it has and I blame the creators. Example one is why on earth if you receive such horrible criticism for creating Ellis, would you create an even more annoying character in Jeremy Jordan? It's like seriously? So it's not a cunty rant its huge disappointment that all those involved blew such a huge opportunity cuz it will be YEARS before network tv deals with broadway again and I blame Marc and Scott because they should have known better.

by Anonymousreply 33202/20/2013

[quote]Were the ratings any better?

The overnights haven't been released yet.

by Anonymousreply 33302/20/2013

Ok ended up watching 2 hour long premiere. Ghosh i don't know what to think!!! I want this show to work, it had the potential now i don't know!!

by Anonymousreply 33402/20/2013

Maybe the ratings will be better once THE VOICE comes back in mid-March. That is, if it isn;t pulled from the schedule yet.

Agree that Jenny Hudson is the worst actress.

by Anonymousreply 33502/20/2013

nothing like the the introduction of a dramaturg to get the excitement rolling!

by Anonymousreply 33602/20/2013

There is no reason to expect anyone who hasn't worked on a television show to understand how difficult in can be to do good television, especially on a network.

I think Marc [whom I adore] and whomever else reads here connected to the production of the show need to stop defending and start listening.

None of the very talented people working on this show above or below the line are being used to best advantage or are looking their best. None of them. Some are managing better than others but nobody is popping with their native gifts being supported.

Story telling-wise, the chunky cliche driven speech the Daniel Sunjanta character gave the Deb messing character should be a guide for the production. You need a dramaturg. Period. You guys need to do what Sunjata's character told Messings character to do.

Also, don't put blandly costumed actors against blandly designed sets, it makes them look washed out and like they haven't been through hair and makeup.

The color palate for the show is drab and inconsistent and who the FUCK is setting up these shots, straight out of Young and the Restlesss, just not as accomplished.

Bernie Telsey [whom I also adore] pulling a Dick Cheney and appearing in a scene that was not needed to further story playing himself [ a good casting director] yet being a BAD casting director by cheerfully agreeing to bring a 30 year old zaftig actress in for a 14 year old French girl part.

A ridiculous story about the lovely, lush and very adult Megan Hilty being deluded enough to think she could play a 14 year old French girl [with a faux British accent no less] only accomplished making Telsey look like a dope and Ivy look like she doesn't have any grasp of how she could be cast.

Come on guys, you are all so smart and talented. I know who you are stuck with but write for your first audience [the network] right up front and then you won't be caught short with stupid rewrites. If that makes sense.

It seems like you get the draft to NBC and then rewrite all their notes with "quotes" around them.

But more than anything why doesn't everyone at LEAST look better?? and when you have a beautiful singer in the form of the beautiful J. Hudson use her for what she can do. Sing. Don't make her spit out scenes she can't handle.

I don't want to be mean but you guys are so much better than what is on that screen it is maddening.

by Anonymousreply 33702/20/2013

Do you really think they're contemplating Daniel Sunjata hitting on Christian Borle? I've never said this in my entire life, but, "Bitch, please!"

by Anonymousreply 33802/20/2013

Another eyerolling moment, r327, in a second season already filled with them, and there's only been two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 33902/20/2013

What was that "thing" on Jeremy's upper lip? Looked like a syphillitic sore.

by Anonymousreply 34002/20/2013

R340- He was beaten up when he broke back into that apartment to retrieve his notes.

Jeremy's musical sounded so terribly awful. Seemed more like Brooklyn the musical than anything else, and NO ONE wants to be reminded of Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 34102/20/2013

Here are my thoughts on how to fix this season which is a moot point because it's already been filmed.

1) Fire Jeremy Jordan, Jennifer Hudson, and 2/3ds of the cast that has been announced to guest in the upcoming weeks. Nobody cares about them and all other subplots that do not relate to Bombshell are usually boring, annoying and a real turn off. I think its bizarre that they created a worse character in Jimmy than the Ellis character they got so much flack for last season.

2) Stop with every week Hilty and McPhee in constant competition with the musical and the affections of the director. It became stale in early season one and here we are in season two.

3) STOP name dropping theatre names that no one outside of NY theatre has heard of. It doesn't make it real, it makes it stupid. Plus it doesn't make sense that Smash lives in a world where Jessie Mueller exists, but Bernadette Peters does not, because she plays Leigh Conroy.

4) Stop trying to make SMASH a modern, pop show. Its a musical theatre show and watching the theatre cast warble trhough bad pop covers is embarrassing each week.

by Anonymousreply 34202/20/2013

R342 "Love and light"? Danielle, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 34302/20/2013

Come on, have any of you ever even SEEN a Broadway musical? Talk about hammy, far-fetched, unbelievable, trite, etc., etc. Why would this show, created by musical-theatre types, be any different?

It's kinda bad (like most musicals), but it's not THAT bad!

by Anonymousreply 34402/20/2013

R342, I strongly agree with you, except point #3. I love the name dropping of Jessie Mueller types. We all know who she is, and this show is made for the NY theater-going audience so why not throw us a bone or two.

In fact I don't think they take it far enough. When she mentioned Mueller someone should have quipped back- well at least you don't have to wear her hideous dress she wore in ITW OR at least you're not sharing a role with David Turner! Now that would be funny.

by Anonymousreply 34502/20/2013

You're definitely on the right track, r342.

At least with Glee, there is the excuse that they're high school students when their covers are less than. With professionals, that excuse doesn't work when it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 34602/20/2013

r345 said "this show is made for the NY theater-going audience so why not throw us a bone or two."

Because there aren't enough of "us" to make a network show succeed. Viewers in Peoria can't connect with references to people they've never heard of and inside jokes.

by Anonymousreply 34702/20/2013

ECCKK it's going down...

by Anonymousreply 34802/20/2013

It was nice to see a new opening using the cast (loved Anjelica tossing the drink) but would it have killled them to use a snippet of "Don't Forget Me?" That could have been effective.

by Anonymousreply 34902/20/2013

Kat as Marilyn in the JFK scene should have sealed her not getting that role - he exudes no sex appeal in that supposedly sexually charged scene.

by Anonymousreply 35002/20/2013

[quote]Here are my thoughts on how to fix this season which is a moot point because it's already been filmed... 1) Fire Jeremy Jordan, Jennifer Hudson, and 2/3ds of the cast that has been announced to guest in the upcoming weeks.

Fire guest star spots that are already in the can? OK then. keep you day job.

[quote]Come on, have any of you ever even SEEN a Broadway musical? Talk about hammy, far-fetched, unbelievable, trite, etc., etc. Why would this show, created by musical-theatre types, be any different?

Thank you, these foolish theater queens keep expecting a documentary when it is nothing more than a silly night time soap which happens to set in the Broadway world, instead of a oil field or cul-de-sac.

by Anonymousreply 35102/20/2013

not so fast, r351. Foolish theater queens are not demanding a documentary.

Make it as far-fetched, hammy, trite as you want just make it GOOD.

It just isn't good. Top to bottom. Casting is off, writing is weak, production looks weak.

Just. Not. Good.

Plese by all means make it as unrealistic as fantastical as you want. Just make it good.

by Anonymousreply 35202/20/2013

I think all the people complaining on here about how awful the show is are being vindicated by the ratings which are almost non existant this week. They are even below a 1 on the demo.

Whoever the guy is that works on the show and keeps defending the show and raging at the critics on this thread, needs to look at reality. The audiences have abandoned the show in droves because it's BAD!

The critic's have trashed the show because it's BAD!

Bad reviews and bad ratings = a BAD show!

by Anonymousreply 35302/20/2013

R344- Have YOU ever seen a Broadway show? Not everything is hammy and trite. I realize it's not Broadway, but try taking the trip down to CSC and catching Passion (Best Musical winner) and tell me that show's hammy and trite.

Once, N2N, Marie Christine, Company, Parade, Juno, A Time for Singing, Lost in the Stars, Follies, The Wild Party (LaChiusa)...just to name a scant few.

But R352 is right. We aren't demanding realism. We can have a Dallas/Dynasty/General Hospital set in the Broadway arena- but make it GOOD. So far Smash this season just sucks.

by Anonymousreply 35402/20/2013

With those numbers from the second ep. as affirmation that the audience has completely rejected this incompetent retooling, this entire thread is moot.

It's time to switch over to the deathwatch.

Countdown to cancelation.

by Anonymousreply 35502/20/2013

Jennifer Hudson won't even be nominated for an Emmy for her excruciating performance in this, Mr. Upthread Poster. There are far too many outstanding guest performances (like Patricia Arquette's as a hooker on a recent episode of SVU) on network and cable shows to nominate.

by Anonymousreply 35602/20/2013

[quote]With those numbers from the second ep. as affirmation that the audience has completely rejected this incompetent retooling, this entire thread is moot.

As has been said before: Season 1 was endearingly bad, with some fun moments.

Season 2 is just bad bad, with no fun moments.

by Anonymousreply 35702/20/2013

Who is this person that keeps saying The Academy "woke up with the worst case of buyers remorse in history" after JHud won the Oscar. As if that's some sort of complete fact and not the hysterics of a dizzy queen. She won a fucking Oscar. Deal.

Yes, she's not great onscreen without strong, STRONG direction, but Dreamgirls and Secret Life of Bees convinced me that she has something there that is very interesting, when given STRONG AND SPECIFIC GUIDANCE. Veronica whatever is a nothing character who's very bland when not singing.

Moving on, Smash season 2 is completely flat, with none of the juicy fun of the first season. And this Jeremy Jordan character? Blecch. Do not want. He's really short and weird looking and truly does belong on the stage.

Kat McPhee? God, what else is there to say? She's next-level awful and it's not going to be easy for her to book TV work when Smash is inevitably canned.

Hilty is a bright spot. She's spunky and appealing and is the only one thats going to be able to escape this mess unscathed. It's given her a career and we're all the better for it, because she is a true talent.

by Anonymousreply 35802/20/2013

Will anyone leave SMASH unscathed? I think this show will ruin Jeremy Jordan's chances of being a tv/film star. He is proving himself to be both a bad actor and unattractive onscreen. Two bad qualities. Katherine McPhee has proven herself to be a bad actress and Hilty will only be able to use her tv fame for theatre projects.

Huston, Messing and Hudson have proven they are not names that bring in an audience(especially Hudson who was brought on to bring in more tv numbers but failed to do so)

Theresea Rodebuck or whatever the hell her name is was trashed all over town and got horrible press and she, Raza Jeffrey and the guy who played Ellis were already publicy humiliated by being fired.

So who walks away from SMASH with something good?

Lone Emmy nominee Uma Thurman perhaps

by Anonymousreply 35902/20/2013

Shouldn't the Sunjata character have been named a "book doctor" instead of a dramaturg?

by Anonymousreply 36002/20/2013

R359, I think Christian Borle comes off fine. For one thing, he's one of the few people aren't ripping apart in this thread. I don't think this will propel him to anything bigger, but I don't think he'll be tarnished either.

by Anonymousreply 36102/20/2013

[quote]Pleas, all will get work again. Although the love for Hilty is ridiculous. She is not, nor ever will be a leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 36202/20/2013

I love how the producer of "The Wiz" was offended by the supposedly x rated JFK number which could not have been n=more chaste or boring(also JHud says-oh one of the producers is in town--doesnt Derek already know this person by name--he would have hired him)

by Anonymousreply 36302/20/2013

I love that Sean Hayes will be in the Liaisons musical (WTF??)--and then what will Deb do and with 2 Jack McFarlands in the show

by Anonymousreply 36402/20/2013

Pleas, all will get work again. Although the love for Hilty is ridiculous. She is not, nor ever will be a leading lady.

But she is a far better Marilyn Monroe. That would be the big point.

The former Idol singers are just that - singers. Not an acting clue in their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 36502/20/2013

[quote]the producer of "The Wiz" was offended by the supposedly x rated JFK number

I thought he was offended because it sucked, in a bad way.

by Anonymousreply 36602/20/2013

I thought he was offended because the actor who walked in (Matt Bogart) was NOT the actor who actually performed the number (Julian Ovenden).

Bad enough there are 2 Marilyns, but 2 JFKs???

by Anonymousreply 36702/20/2013

Not happy about the new season but I gotta say that I love the 'cast album' for BOMBSHELL. I wasn't sure that we would get the episode last night. Here in Kansas City we had a restaurant explosion and fire (four buildings away from my apartment here on the Plaza) that tied up all the local networks... our local NBC affiliate did air this episode on their sister network. Oh, and I knew who Jessie Mueller is.. saw ON A CLEAR DAY. Confess I am a major theatre queen and have been all my life....season tickets to all the local subscription series (Broadway Across America, Starlight Theatre,as well as out of town venues Music Theatre of Wichita and the St. Louis Muny. I have lost count of the number of shows I have seen in Ngoing as far back as Streisand in FUNNY GIRL. I kinda dig the inside references on the show. However, I do understand that most of the public outside NY might not get the constant name dropping on that show.I fit is cancelled, I would hope that the writers are able to give the series some type of closure but I doubt that would happen. I wonder how this show would have played out if it had been on premium cable as originally intended?

kcguy

by Anonymousreply 36802/20/2013

Wow, after seeing Deb Messing in that black and white dress arguing with the dramaturg on the street I see what you all mean by her being fat now.....and homely. She needs a trainer and a stylist.

by Anonymousreply 36902/20/2013

[quote]I think this show will ruin Jeremy Jordan's chances of being a tv/film star

No, it's his face that ruins that for him

by Anonymousreply 37002/20/2013

I'm right there with you, R309. I adore McPhee, and think that she is the best thing in Smash. Not kidding at all.

by Anonymousreply 37102/20/2013

I just hope NBC does the right thing and cancels the show. Other shows with the same ratings get cancelled and just because Spielberg is the EP shouldn't interfere. But since he is, NBC will probably let this show limp to a sad ending.

by Anonymousreply 37202/20/2013

After listening to BOMBSHELL album, I wish the producers would do a TV adaptation of the musical... with Megan as Marilyn. It would bring closure to the series. Marc Shaiman, you use to post here on DL.. if you are reading this, how about doing this? :)

by Anonymousreply 37302/20/2013

this put the bomb in bombshell

by Anonymousreply 37402/20/2013

They screwed themselves when the premiere episode aired the week before the state of the union address, any momentum was lost. Whoever made that decission at NBC killed Smash?

by Anonymousreply 37502/20/2013

If you were Marc Shaiman, would you post on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 37602/20/2013

No show destroys careers, no matter how bad it is. You either have talent and audience appeal or you don't. If you do, you'll get work as long as you keep both. (In my view talent seldom disappears, audience appeal, often does.)

Am I the only one who sees a kind of inconsistency in the outdoor shots? I swear in one scene the trees are covered in leaves and in the next it looks like late fall or early winter.

by Anonymousreply 37702/20/2013

[quote]I just hope NBC does the right thing and cancels the show.

The right thing, being putting hundreds of people out of work because YOU don't like it?

by Anonymousreply 37802/20/2013

Do you think Hilty could carry a drama show?

by Anonymousreply 37902/20/2013

[quote]Do you think Hilty could carry a drama show?

About Weight Watchers, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 38002/20/2013

R380 - Ha ha. If she lost a little weight, could she?

by Anonymousreply 38102/20/2013

I was only kidding. She's got natural talent and she looks like a human being as opposed to a stick figure without a soul. I don't see why she couldn't. Less talented have tried and even succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 38202/20/2013

R377, the first season and the beginning of this season were all over the place in terms of climate and sense of time. The pilot was shot in March 2011. Season 1 shot from late August 2011 to late February 2012. The second season started shooting mid July last year and wraps on March 8th. It would seem that the Boston try-out was set in the late fall and yet when they all came home a month or so later it definitely looked like summer. The climax of the season (and the series, unfortunately) is clearly going to be the Tony Awards which are always held in June so it'll be interesting to see if exterior shots for the final episode look June-like.

by Anonymousreply 38302/20/2013

Here's last night's Smash Don't Give A Shit recap by the very funny AnnoyingActorFriend:

by Anonymousreply 38402/20/2013

JHud wore the same dress in white and in aqua in last night's episode.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 38502/20/2013

Christian Borle has been supremely lucky so far this season because he's barely been in any relevant scenes.

by Anonymousreply 38602/20/2013

I don't think I've seen a mention of Andy Mentius, who plays Jeremy Jordan's songwriting partner/roommate. I think he's adorable.

I'd also do Jeremy, but I agree that the hipster asshole character is overdone.

I agree that McPhee and Hudson are giving terrible performances, but really, only Hilty is doing decent work. The rest are just phoning it in.

by Anonymousreply 38702/20/2013

Oops. Misspelled his name. It's Mientus.

by Anonymousreply 38802/20/2013

[r378] That's how television works. Are u saying that every show should always stay on the air forever because if they cancel it, "Hundreds of people would be out of work?"

Maybe those people need to be out of work instead of being rewarded with employment for awful work.

The writing is bad, the casting is bad, the costumes are bad. Yes, they should all be out of work. Sorry if that sounds bitchy,but it's the truth.

If you are a factory and the the people who designed the product designed a shitty product and the people who are manufacturing it keep screwing it up, shouldn't they all be fired?

Also there are tons of people who create good television. Look at Enlightened on HBO. It has almost no buzz, but almost every critic says it's one of the best shows on tv and the chat rooms of people who watch the show agree. So yes, they should be rewarded with employment for doing good work.

Smash should not.

by Anonymousreply 38902/20/2013

Watch Slings and Arrows theres a good example of how to set an entertaining show in the world of theatre that is both smart and accessible to a wide audience

by Anonymousreply 39002/20/2013

Week two of NBC's Smash averaged a 0.9, down from a 1.2 for its second-season premiere two weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 39102/20/2013

Andy Mentius often stands side by side with Jeremy Jordan on screen and it's laughable how similar they look. They have the exact same hair in terms of style and color, for starters. What happened to casting for contrast? And can Andy sing? Because it's pretty clear he's not a compelling actor so far.

by Anonymousreply 39202/21/2013

Nbc is going to cancel this shit aren't they? Fuck i want to watch this train-wreck as Liza M and Luke M are guest staring..

Please no Nbc...

by Anonymousreply 39302/21/2013

Does Julian Ovenden get a storyline or was he just there to sing that silly song as JFK?

Matt Bgart would have sufficed there and they could have saved thousands on 1st class airfare and hotel.

by Anonymousreply 39402/21/2013

Met Andy Mentius a few years ago when he played Huck Finn in BIG RIVER at Music Theatre Wichita. Seemed like a nice guy. He had to miss the final show (Sunday night) as he was due back in NY to start rehearsals for the SPRING AWAKENING national company. Mich. graduate.

by Anonymousreply 39502/21/2013

Megans not really fat in person-but doesnt photograph well especially since most women on TV shows are anorexic she not untalented but trapped in a terribly written role on a terrible show

by Anonymousreply 39602/21/2013

R392 Yes he can sing.

by Anonymousreply 39702/21/2013

Yes, poor Megan, getting paid boatloads of money and more national exposure than she's ever had before. The torture those mean people are putting her through.

by Anonymousreply 39802/21/2013

Yes, it's so weird because Megan is so not fat in person.

by Anonymousreply 39902/21/2013

Some people don't photograph well. She is actually quite tiny in person, which is not surprising at all if you know how cameras work. Unfortunately for her and her body type, to look "normal" on camera (note I put it in quotes hysterical queens), she really does probably need to lose about ten pounds. She probably needs to be underweight. That's a choice she has to make if she wants to pursue screen work. It's not worth it for this project though, and it probably wouldn't look very good on stage which will really be her main venue.

by Anonymousreply 40002/21/2013

She was an adorable Lorelei Lee in Encores! GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

by Anonymousreply 40102/21/2013

Megan is downright sexy in person. She's a head turner.

by Anonymousreply 40202/21/2013

Any word on Cancellation?

by Anonymousreply 40302/21/2013

So according to spoilers on imdb. Derek and Karen got fired from Bombshell.. Ivy is the star of Bombshell and its Directed by Tom WTF

by Anonymousreply 40402/21/2013

Looks like Jack Davenport's wasted no time jumping off the sinking ship...

by Anonymousreply 40502/21/2013

So if the stars are moving on to new projects, perhaps they have been notified of the show's cancellation?

by Anonymousreply 40602/21/2013

Only hoping that Nbc will not Cancel it before Airing all the Episodes for S2

by Anonymousreply 40702/21/2013

R407 - maybe they will just release a Blu_Ray of S2? Are we even seeing promos for next week's episode? Or has this been pulled too?

by Anonymousreply 40802/21/2013

Will be gutted if they don'r air it R408, How worst can it get really! Really loved the Show in S1, but S2 is just Meh!

by Anonymousreply 40902/21/2013

This thread will be longer than what will air on Season 2 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 41002/21/2013

[quote]She was an adorable Lorelei Lee in Encores! GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

Not adorable enough to transfer. Apparently Gentlemen Prefer Skinny Blondes.

[quote]Looks like Jack Davenport's wasted no time jumping off the sinking ship...

It's a six episode project. "Smash" doesn't film 12 months a year.

by Anonymousreply 41102/21/2013

Not adorable enough to transfer & she did not project the Marilyn Monroe that appeared in "How to Marry A Millionaire," the film based on "Gentlemen Prefer Blonds."

by Anonymousreply 41202/21/2013

She wouldn't have been awailable - they were set to shoot second season of SMASH

by Anonymousreply 41302/21/2013

It's an inarguable fact that the Academy woke up the next morning with the worst case of buyers remorse in its history after giving Jennifer Hudson an Oscar for acting.

by Anonymousreply 41402/21/2013

Another cast member moving on and leaving the sinking ship

by Anonymousreply 41502/21/2013

Uh, How to Marry a Millionaire is NOT based on Gentlemen Prefer Blondes r412.

How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 41602/21/2013

It's considered "likely to be cancelled" r403. It's not in the "certain to be cancelled" category yet, but it's likely heading there.

by Anonymousreply 41702/21/2013

SMASH is still on the schedule for this coming Tuesday. Ronnie's mom causes her problems, and "Eileen faces an ethical dilemma regarding Bombshell."

by Anonymousreply 41802/21/2013

Where's the hysterical recap link?

by Anonymousreply 41902/21/2013

I see NBC is running Law & Order SUV again. So that's Wednesday, Thursday and I think Saturday. When they cancel SMASH, they can run it then too.

Liz Lemon was right. They were insane to cancel the mothership. They need it to plug the holes.

by Anonymousreply 42002/21/2013

If Anjelica Huston were smart she would ask NBC to let her leave her contract on grounds that the show is hurting her repuation by being involved with a program that is so awful. She's an Oscar winner for Christ's sake and she is surrounded by nothing but horrible actors and laughably bad lines.

by Anonymousreply 42102/21/2013

Even if they get picked up, half the cast have already moved on to other projects.

by Anonymousreply 42202/21/2013

There are huge cutbacks on production now and the closing sequence for the series finale is being rewritten.

THIS IS NOT A SPOILER, just my prediction-instead of a cliffhanger where we won't know who won the Tony Award until Season 3 (which is no longer a possibility) Karen will lose to Ivy and board a jet plane to LA the next day to embark on a recording career.

by Anonymousreply 42302/21/2013

So they know they've fucked it, Bellhop?

Is the blame flying?

by Anonymousreply 42402/21/2013

Well, they've already planted the seed for Tom to take over BOMBSHELL (Ivy: "Tom, you should really direct! You've got the... instincts!")

I'm sad to see the end of SMASH in plain sight, even if I've been bitching about it endlessly. There are things you love to hate, and then you miss them when they're gone.

by Anonymousreply 42502/22/2013

Bellhop is incorrect about their being huge cutbacks in the finale / due to ratings, etc, and with the finale being rewritten.

by Anonymousreply 42602/22/2013

R426 why would you say that?

It makes perfect sense to rewrite the Finale and give this Damn thing a closure, they are not going to get this Show renewed anyway!

by Anonymousreply 42702/22/2013

I really hope they tie up the storylines. As a fan of the show, I want some closeure.

by Anonymousreply 42802/22/2013

THIS is the only place where people would actually choose to talk about this show. Unreal....

by Anonymousreply 42902/22/2013

Today's New York Post Headline ...

"Must Flee TV - From "Smash To Trash".

NBC is fifth in 18-49 demos. Univision's Spanish network was fourth.

by Anonymousreply 43002/22/2013

R420 If they wanted to, they could relaunch the mothership, even if it meant a whole new cast. I wonder whether they've struck all the sets.

by Anonymousreply 43102/22/2013

[quote]NBC is fifth in 18-49 demos. Univision's Spanish network was fourth.

I can see it now: SMASH en español!

by Anonymousreply 43202/22/2013

Seriously, how did they let the cameras roll on that hideous black checked dress Deb Messing wore?

She looked FAT or pregnant and like no one cared.

Does the crew hate her?

by Anonymousreply 43302/22/2013

I'm pretty sure the crew hates everyone. Not one actor looks good one this show. Even someone like Jeremy Jordan who is attractive usually, looks awful with that no-side-burns-haircut.

I would love if someone wrote a tell-all book about the his hot mess of a show. It's gotta be a disaster

by Anonymousreply 43402/22/2013

I haven't heard of actors not getting along. Is there gossip you're not sharing, r434?

by Anonymousreply 43502/22/2013

[quote]If Anjelica Huston were smart she would ask NBC to let her leave her contract on grounds that the show is hurting her repuation by being involved with a program that is so awful. She's an Oscar winner for Christ's sake and she is surrounded by nothing but horrible actors and laughably bad lines.

Honey, it's a job and a damn good paying job, any 60 something character actress would be happy to have. You think Houston can sit home and just wait for another Oscar winning role pops up?

by Anonymousreply 43602/22/2013

Episode 20 is March 5. The final episode of Season Two or maybe the entire run.

by Anonymousreply 43702/22/2013

Not maybe.

by Anonymousreply 43802/22/2013

If they let Jennifer Hudson say "Brahway" one more time I think I'll scream.

And whoever thinks "The Wiz" is a family show certainly hasn't seen it!

by Anonymousreply 43902/22/2013

I think it's funny that out of all the lousy actors on the show, according to the expose that was written about the show, Spielberg wanted Hilty fired of all people.

That sounds about right for Hollywood. Fire the the best part of a show that is sinking.

by Anonymousreply 44002/22/2013

It certainly lowers one's estimation of Spielberg, but then he knows nothing about the stage or that world.

Here is Rachel Shukert's recap which someone requested. She's also put together (and I think performs) an 8 minute plus Billy Crystal style medley on the best films which is pretty terrific, also on NY Magazine's site. They should just hand this show to her creatively.

by Anonymousreply 44102/22/2013

That 'expose' of the show under the original writer was great. I hope we get a follow up as to how the solution to fix it in season two took the show from bad to worse.

by Anonymousreply 44202/22/2013

The show is absolutely enforcing big cutbacks. There are fewer production assistants, and make-up/hair/wardrobe staff on each day now. Spielberg is calling in favors to get certain locations for a very low fee.

And of course the final episode is being rewritten. It was supposed to have a cliffhanger which would lead to Season 3 but there won't BE a Season 3. At least there will be an attempt at resolving the storylines.

by Anonymousreply 44302/22/2013

With dread I finally watched episode 2.

I rather liked it...DJ was great against messy. Chubby blonde had moved onto a new show.

Not even partly as bad as you all said.

by Anonymousreply 44402/24/2013

English please, r444.

by Anonymousreply 44502/24/2013

Messy is Debra Messing, decoded that one after a while, but actual viewers wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. And actual viewers must know who "chubby blond" is. Someone defected right after the season 2 premier, they're jumping off ship that fast?

by Anonymousreply 44602/24/2013

Why is Kerry Washington presenting at the Oscars? She's only on TV.

by Anonymousreply 44702/24/2013

Bellhop - you had me but then now you don't. Spielberg, on Oscar week has nothing to do but call people for favors for a television show?

by Anonymousreply 44802/24/2013

NBC has NOTHING to put in the place of Smash.

They won't cancel it!

by Anonymousreply 44902/24/2013

They'll just rerun Law & Order SUV again and again. It will probably get better ratings.

by Anonymousreply 45002/24/2013

Ok, this morning i woke up with great excitement to watch episode 4 today! Please Smash don't disappoint me, not today!

by Anonymousreply 45102/26/2013

Megan Hilty is a guest Kelly and Michael this morning.

by Anonymousreply 45202/26/2013

NBC may actually not survive or exist in nearly the same capacity within the next year, much less Smash.

They are going to finish the season behind UNIVISION! They aren't even going to be the fifth place network. They are in seriously dire straits.

by Anonymousreply 45302/26/2013

There was an article at NYT about the freefall NBC is in and how Smash is one of the biggest ratings disappointments. They may have to give additional, free commercial spots to advertisers because minimum ratings haven't been met. Also, it said they've filmed 16 of 17 planned episodes @ $4 million EACH. Can't link article right now, but it's an interesting read if someone can bring it over.

by Anonymousreply 45402/26/2013

Bernadette Peters is on set today for Smash's final episode. She's in a ballgown and looks incredible.

by Anonymousreply 45502/26/2013

P.S. Wow, R448, you think Spielberg spent the last few weeks just getting his tux and hair prepped for the Oscars? Really? You think he's not capable of multi-tasking when his show's in a crisis?

by Anonymousreply 45602/26/2013

For R454:

by Anonymousreply 45702/26/2013

This has been a bad week for Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

First, their Oscars bombed and now reports are in the news that SMASH is responsible for NBC losing all their money.

Talk about a woopsie.

by Anonymousreply 45802/26/2013

It's on NOW, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 45902/26/2013

Sorry, R458, but hte Oscars didn't bomb. Everyone here knows ratings were up.

Do you lie as much as right wing batshit crazies?

by Anonymousreply 46002/26/2013

How bad was tonight? I DVR'd it but don't feel compelled to watch. It's like sitting with the dying.

by Anonymousreply 46102/26/2013

Jeremy just keeps getting easier and easier to hate. He's so obnoxious.

McPhee is also worse than usual tonight.

by Anonymousreply 46202/26/2013

The "I did some drugs" scene was horrendous and HILARIOUS! Total camp.

by Anonymousreply 46302/26/2013

"Jimmy's got a trigger!"

"Ivy Lynn? Is thatchoooooo?"

Hilarity.

by Anonymousreply 46402/26/2013

Jennifer Hudson singing "I've Got Love" was great. Only remember Melba Moore singing it.

by Anonymousreply 46502/26/2013

Also, I hate the new opening.

by Anonymousreply 46602/26/2013

Oh, please, R465. She shrieked her way through it. Melba Moore sang the fucking song as it was written.

by Anonymousreply 46702/26/2013

I thought it was slightly better tonight but they've totally thrown the characters everybody knew overboard. Many mistakes were made 'saving' this show.

by Anonymousreply 46802/27/2013

I also thought it was better tonight. Jennifer Hudson and Jeremy Jordan finally have more interesting characters to play. But, more than anything else, I am tired of slamming Smash. It will not be around next year, so I am trying to enjoy it...not always easy though.

by Anonymousreply 46902/27/2013

I agree with R467. I was in another room when Miss Hudson started shrieking and even from where I sat, my ears started aching. Why must she torture and beat every song into submission? Just sing it as it was written.

by Anonymousreply 47002/27/2013

I think Hudson is an OK singer but she's no actress - her expressionless face, her blank, ever-travelling gaze that never seems to know where to look, and her mush-mouthed enunciation are painful to watch and listen to.

Sheryl Lee Ralph is not the slightest bit believable as her mother. Ralph's acting is as stiff and obvious as her wig. Plus, how come the daughter sounded so ghetto, but the mother didn't.

I loathe Jimmy, and as uninterested as I am in Karen, I wonder why she, an utter nobody herself, is supposed to be this nasty ungrateful little. turd's mentor.

by Anonymousreply 47102/27/2013

Whoever thinks Melba Moore didn't shriek her way through "I Got Love" hasn't heard it lately. The shrieking is written into the number. It's that kind of song.

by Anonymousreply 47202/27/2013

Where to start?

The season finale isn't March 5th. It might get canceled and yes, it's episode 20 overall but it's not the end of season 2.

Spielberg didn't want to fire Hilty after season one. He wanted to recast her after the pilot was picked up before the series even aired (and they would've reshot her scenes in the pilot). This happens all the time. She must not have tested well.

Why is no one talking about Angelica showing her flabby arms in such an unflattering way in her scene with the guy from All My Children?

It will be interesting to see what NBC does in the coming days. Perhaps they'll pair it with The Voice again? Or maybe they'll yank it and air reruns of SVU as another suggested.

I loved season one. Not liking season two so much. Rebeck's vision was better.

by Anonymousreply 47302/27/2013

Also- who else was as excited as me about SPOILERS the reintroduction of Ellis back into the story?

by Anonymousreply 47402/27/2013

That was so stupid - the "Ellis" at the very end of the show. Crap. I knew Jaime Cepero was coming back, but I was hoping it would just be a quick appearance to be killed off.

by Anonymousreply 47502/27/2013

What's with Jimmy kissing Karen?

by Anonymousreply 47602/27/2013

What information did Ellis give to have Eileen's husband write the check?

by Anonymousreply 47702/27/2013

Only a bunch of old queens would even know who Melba Moore is.

by Anonymousreply 47802/27/2013

Hear for yourself

by Anonymousreply 47902/27/2013

Here's a slightly fresher Melba screaming her way to "stardom."

by Anonymousreply 48002/27/2013

Thank you R479 I have found so many truly talented folks via DL and been able to get some great music.

I LOVE my elders and appreciate them.

(Though I do despise Streisand and am bored by Garland...sorry)

by Anonymousreply 48102/27/2013

Only on this show would a "momager" be pushing her daughter to stay pure and virginal when in real life momagers are known for over sexualizing their kids to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 48202/27/2013

In an effort to boost the ratings, it has been announced that the Tony Awards will be announced on an episode of Smash

Cheyanne Jackson and Christine Ebersole will do the honors.

by Anonymousreply 48302/27/2013

Getting really tired of Jennifer Hudson.

Jeremy Jordan sounds so queeny on this.. He wasn't like that at all in BONNIE & CLYDE or NEWSIES.

He did look better with his sideburns in that save a drama high school commercial.. maybe he had to cut them for NEWSIES?

I so want to love this show... yes, I am an elder theater queen who saw Melba Moore sing "I Got Love' on Broadway in PURLIE when I was in college.

I really do like the BOMBSHELL 'cast recording' and would love to see a two hour TV version of the show as a send off as this appears to be the final season for the series.

McPhee has all the excitement and appeal of a box of frozen mixed vegetables... pretty to look at but just not much there.

Count me in as one who adores Megan Hilty. maybe it's because I have seen her on stage..

Yes to the person who posted that the bare arms outfit Anjelica wore in her scene with ALL MY CHILDREN dude Thorsten Kaye did her no favors.

So obvious where they are going with the 'dramaturg' aka book doctor relationship between Messing and Daniel.

I want them to get back to the BOMBSHELL storyline and from the previews looks like that is coming up. Enough with the JenHud vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 48402/27/2013

I thought Jennifer Hudson's two renditions of "I've Got Love" were the obvious (only?) highlights in this otherwise execrable episode. Her acting is still pretty much not there (although, when she sings she just comes alive). She'll walk away from this total mess just fine.

The return of Ellis!

by Anonymousreply 48502/27/2013

It's foolish to assume only the elder set know Purlie and/or Melba Moore. I'm 29 and have been obsessed with the OBCR for years, as well as the brilliance of Melba. It's actually embarrassing to admit that one doesn't own Purlie- Melba singing the title song is enough to send anyone to could nine!!

by Anonymousreply 48602/27/2013

R473, March 8 is the last DAY OF SHOOTING on Smash. You got both the date and what it meant wrong.

R475, Jaime Cepero (Ellis) is NOT returning to Smash, even for a one-shot guest appearance for the series finale. They're not that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 48702/27/2013

And you worded it awkwardly, R483, but a large portion of the final episode of Smash will be set at the Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 48802/27/2013

Please bitches, Jeremy Jordan had lovely sideburns in Newsies!

by Anonymousreply 48902/28/2013

I think it is funny how they turned Debra Messing's character into the same kind of narcissistic, self-pitying individual lacking in self-knowledge that Rebeck shows herself to be in her memoir.

by Anonymousreply 49002/28/2013

put this show out of its misery already-they shoot horses, dont they?

by Anonymousreply 49102/28/2013

Sorry, I can only post when it isn't Prime Time and it seems like it's only Prime Time. Bellhop is not completely wrong, but he is wrong about some things. I am not sure what it is important to correct. This season has 17 episodes, not 20. I can't imagine all episodes won't air as scheduled, since they are already all nearly in the can, but you never know. I am not sure what else needs to be cleared up. I'll try to check in again and hopefully it won't be Prime Time.

In terms of the rest of the season, the next few episodes really shake things up. I think they are smart and I think they deliver an entirely different Smash than Season 1. I don't think the new episodes have fixed everything, but I also don't think you guys are being fair. I think most of you are primed to hate-watch the show no matter what, and hey, there's plenty to chew on. I wouldn't say anything is any more ridiculous than, say, an episode of Revenge. But beyond that, there is a real plan for this season, and it's unfolding, and I hope you get some enjoyment out of it beyond hissing at Karen and all that. If not, oh well. That's TV.

Episodes 5, 6, and 7 are big ones in terms of the season, and I hope you check them out and enjoy them.

by Anonymousreply 49203/01/2013

r492, only 17 episodes? Not according to this list for Season 2.

16 On Broadway

17 The Fallout

18 The Dramaturg

19 The Song

20 The Read-through

21 The Fringe

by Anonymousreply 49303/01/2013

R493 I think you're confused.

What you have as show 19 - The Song was shown this week. And show 18 - The Dramaturg was shown last week I think.So your numbering system seems to includes shows from Seasons 1 and 2.

by Anonymousreply 49403/01/2013

when Sean Hayes starts next week, how are we supposed to tell the difference between him and Christian Borle

by Anonymousreply 49503/01/2013

why would karen be hired as a dancer in Veronicas concert? she couldnt even keep up in the Bombshell ensemble? ditto Ivy-who just showed up-neither is a particularly strong dancer

by Anonymousreply 49603/01/2013

Enough of Jennifer Hudson and back to the main story.

by Anonymousreply 49703/01/2013

I think that was Jen's last episode, right? Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 49803/01/2013

So let me get this straight: JHud's character is going to bet her career on an image-changing one-night only spectacle and the song list won't be determined until shortly before the show airs? And the original song list included hoary concoctions like "I Could Have Danced All Night?"

Makes perfect sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 49903/01/2013

Not only that R499, Jeremy Jordan's song is going to be performed on TV and he hasn't signed any sort of contract.

by Anonymousreply 50003/01/2013

Jennifer Hudson's voice is loud, shrill and annoying and she can't act, neither can McPhee and I don't her voice either. I do like the new opening credits on the show though.

by Anonymousreply 50103/01/2013

They're shooting in Times Square for the final time tonight.

by Anonymousreply 50203/01/2013

[quote]when Sean Hayes starts next week, how are we supposed to tell the difference between him and Christian Borle

Sean Hayes is the one with the chin and no acne.

by Anonymousreply 50403/02/2013

They had their wrap party last night although their final shooting day is this Friday.

by Anonymousreply 50503/03/2013

Yup, wrap party pictures are all over Facebook.

Bellhop - will Ivy win the Tony ?

by Anonymousreply 50603/03/2013

Megan Hilty at Cinderella on Broadway

by Anonymousreply 50703/04/2013

Has this piece of shit been cancelled yet?

by Anonymousreply 50803/04/2013

R506, I've promised on here already that I won't post any spoilers, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 50903/04/2013

It was on tonight, wasn't it?

Is it now so awful it doesn't even merit post about how awful it is?

by Anonymousreply 51003/05/2013

Tonight's was definitely a mark up in overall quality but it won't up the ratings. Sean Hayes was a bit disappointing. The Jimmy/Karen soap opera is just not interesting.

by Anonymousreply 51103/05/2013

Really? I thought this episode was the worst of the series. Every single storyline was completely ridiculous. And the totally unnecessary cliffhanger ending? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 51203/06/2013

I disagree R512. Season 2 has been pretty terrible so far, but tonight was a slight step in the right direction. Last week was so centered on Jennifer Hudson we didn't have time to move any other plot forward.

At least this week we saw some development in all three musicals.

by Anonymousreply 51303/06/2013

The Sean Hayes storyline was beyond ridiculous! In what world do you hire a comic actor for your dramatic play without first making sure he can play it straight? And the director let him carry on like a buffoon! Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 51403/06/2013

Except for the Sean Hayes storyline (though I do like him, goddamn it), I can't believe it but I think I actually liked this episode.

Or am I drunk?

And as for the Sean Hayes storyline, why couldn't they just have him struggling with drama from the get go, instead of trying to make it a farce? It could have been really fascinating. Ivy could have been his "mentor". We could have had characters we actually cared about! But no.

by Anonymousreply 51503/06/2013

I do agree about the cliffhanger. It was stupid.

And the opening number gave Christian Borle a chance to wear different costumes but that's it. It did absolutely nothing to move the story forward.

Always nice to see Veanne Cox (she played the other actress in Liaisons).

Is Jon Robin Baitz blind? He's super creepy and not an actor so why did he get to do that scene with Debra Messing in Times Square?

by Anonymousreply 51603/06/2013

Why have more people not been posting about last night's episode. Yes the ratings are abysmal, but now is not the time to abandon this show!

by Anonymousreply 51703/06/2013

I couldn't follow the business about the different scripts. Liz Taylor wasn't in the workshop version, was she? But she was in the script Nikki Blonsky read, which was later revealed to be something Christian Borle sent, right? What's going on?

The Sean Hayes subplot is just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 51803/06/2013

What happened to the incredible weight loss Nikkki Blonsky had in 2012? I told my partner it couldn't be Her, had to be someone who looks like Her, because She is thin now. Open mouth insert foot.

As far as the cliffhanger, how is it stupid? They get you to tune in again next week & God knows this show needs every viewer it can get.

by Anonymousreply 51903/06/2013

hmmm... was last night's wpisode the last SMASH broadcast?

Just askin'

by Anonymousreply 52003/06/2013

Out of many, many terrible episodes, this one was one of the worst. I'm not sure why I keep turning it on expecting it to get better. It's just so fucking bad. SO. BAD.

by Anonymousreply 52103/06/2013

If the ratings fell again r520, it will be pulled.

by Anonymousreply 52203/06/2013

R522 - we are hearing it's forever gone after last night.

by Anonymousreply 52303/06/2013

I'm enjoying the show this season - I'm certainly not finding Karen as objectionable. The composer boy is hot.

by Anonymousreply 52403/06/2013

Nikki Blonsky did a long interview with BroadwayWorld yesterday and said she has a big scene coming up with Anjelica Huston.

She has a few new movies coming out, too; one with Nathan Lane and Julianne Moore... seriously.

by Anonymousreply 52503/06/2013

I thought last night's episode was somewhat better than the crap that's gone before. But the show is a shadow of itself. I'd like to see Bombshell brought to the stage. I hope they at least see the rest of the season through. Or move it to a graveyard on Saturday nights rather than have it disappear entirely.

by Anonymousreply 52603/06/2013

This week's ratings. Not the worst ratings of the night, if you include the CW. Close to The New Normal's ratings.

by Anonymousreply 52703/06/2013

What the hell happened to Jon Robin Baitz? Even though Borle said his name before running away, it still took me a second to really recognize him.

[quote]the ratings are abysmal

Though I'd hate to see NBC pull the plug on SMASH, I also don't see how they can continue airing it much longer, at least during the regular season (and with another sweeps on the horizon). As quoted above, the ratings are just spiraling DOWN DOWN DOWN, and given that TV is a business and advertisers' needs must be taken into consideration, from a business standpoint the network will be forced to act and remove SMASH from its schedule. (By this point they must be selling advertising time at a buck-fifty a pop.) This is not my wish, of course, as I'd love to see SMASH continue (all of its creative issues notwithstanding, I still like it and don't want to see it fail) but just saying I don't know how it's possible to let it continue at this rate. (Even if they don't have anything new ready to put up in its place, surely reruns of "SVU" must be more profitable.)

by Anonymousreply 52803/06/2013

I had the same reaction, R528. Who is the fat homeless man? Then I realized it was Robbie Baitz.

How he has fallen since his days as half of the ultimate gay NY theatre power couple.

Hee.

by Anonymousreply 52903/06/2013

That episode last night lurched from one ridiculous episode to another! You try to stick with it but it has become totally unbelievable any of those outrageous shifts in plot and silly characters coming at you from every direction could possibly be anything like professional theatre. Not even naive people in Podunkville would believe it.

by Anonymousreply 53003/07/2013

Will Sean Hayes have any scenes with Deb? Just seems like a missed opportunity otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 53103/07/2013

Actually, they are reportedly having to pay advertisers back their money.

by Anonymousreply 53203/07/2013

Robbie Baitz-stick to writing Oh a buy some clothes that fit

by Anonymousreply 53303/07/2013

Liasions another show where the star shows up a week into rehearsals, who apparently no one has ever met before, and who is miscast for the role hes been cast in

by Anonymousreply 53403/07/2013

NBC is a disaster. It should just go blank during prime time and limit itself to the Today Show, the Tonight Show, Saturday Night Live, news and sports.

by Anonymousreply 53503/07/2013

Do the "celebrity" cameos wear their own clothes? Because I can't imagine any costume designer letting Robbie Baitz wear such poor-fitting clothes unless he brought them with him.

It would have been nice if they had combed his hair, too. I agree that he looked awful.

by Anonymousreply 53603/07/2013

Smash doesn't appeal to middle America

They see this show as 'elitist'

by Anonymousreply 53703/07/2013

So for those of us who aren't "in the know," who is this Robbie Baltz fellow?

by Anonymousreply 53803/07/2013

NBC has signed Robbie Baltz to write a 'quickie' TV movie about the slapping incident on the plane.

Entitled "The Slap"

by Anonymousreply 53903/07/2013

[quote]Smash doesn't appeal to middle America

They see this show as 'elitist'

Well, I'm from Middle American and I see it as stupid. Let's see Jerry has been conniving to get "Bombshell" away from Eileen for a year but now he turns the decision about the future of the entire show over to her? Nearly all of the characters act like a bunch of silly children. There's zero sophistication.

[quote]The Sean Hayes storyline was beyond ridiculous! In what world do you hire a comic actor for your dramatic play without first making sure he can play it straight? And the director let him carry on like a buffoon! Unbelievable.

They hire a comedic actor to do a part in a serious show and he joins up without knowing a thing about the show or his role and proceeds to do fart jokes? Seriously? As far as I'm concerned it's the opposite of elitist, it's lowbrow.

I did, however, enjoy the opening number. Finally Karen sounded more like MM.

by Anonymousreply 54003/07/2013

You're being extremely generous by describing it as lowbrow.

by Anonymousreply 54103/07/2013

Karen acts and looks like she should be starring in an infomercial about the miracle of Lithium. She is a lifeless waste of space...oy

by Anonymousreply 54203/07/2013

R519, the cliffhanger was stupid because it hung on a plot turn no one really understood, much less cared about.

by Anonymousreply 54303/07/2013

Thank you R543. I though I was losing it because I couldn't understand the whole plot point about the workshop version v. the new version which was so amazing but maybe was crap to destroy Messing.

The tax code is easier to figure out that that plot twist.

by Anonymousreply 54403/07/2013

that Public Relations number was dreadful--these bad Bombshell numbers are growing tiresome

by Anonymousreply 54503/07/2013

The plot wasn't difficult to understand at all. The workshop version wasn't perfect, but it was a dumb, big, splashy musical about Marilyn's rise to fame. Perfect for tourists who flock to Mamma Mia and sure (in Jerry's mind) to make a lot of money.

The new version Messing write is now brilliant, but too smart and sophisticated. Jerry compared it Ragtime and Sunday in the Park (as if!!). He also suggested bringing that version to The Public. It may be brilliant, but it would flop and he'd lose all his money.

He would rather invest in the next Memphis rather than the next Caroline, Or Change. He has no artistic integrity. It's all about the bottom line.

What made no sense is that Borle would side with him, unless he really needed the money.

by Anonymousreply 54603/07/2013

For the person who asked before, Jon Robin ("Robbie") Baitz is a playwright and former partner of Joe Mantello (the director of Wicked and many other shows). His most famous play is Other Desert Cities, which was a Tony nominee and Pulitzer finalist last year, but he's been writing Off-Broadway stuff for years. He also created Brothers & Sisters, although I think he got canned from that show pretty fast.

by Anonymousreply 54703/07/2013

In terms of Borle's reaction, he seems to love Heaven on Earth, which looks like a total schlockfest, so I don't think he's very highbrow when it comes down to it.

And I can't believe they have his phone ringtone be some generic Apple strumming. Would any songwriter have that as their ringtone?

by Anonymousreply 54803/07/2013

Good point R548 about Borle not being very highbrow.

What really doesn't make sense is if Messing comes back with this brilliant Sunday in the Park style book how does it work with all the preexisting songs? The songs need to come out of the book. It makes zero sense that the score would function equally as well with both the flashy workshop book and the snobby, arty book.

by Anonymousreply 54903/07/2013

obviously nothing makes any sense-which would be even more infuriating if the show wasnt so hopeless/boring and on life support If Jerry had the script from the workshop--why did Nikki Blonsky have another script with the title changed and the inclusion of the marilyn/Liz Taylor scene that was presumably not in the workshop

by Anonymousreply 55003/07/2013

Jerry's assertion that "Ragtime" flopped because its book was too sophisticated and well-written is sillier by far than all the other nonsense in both seasons.

by Anonymousreply 55103/07/2013

exactly she went a wrote a whole new book--changing the entire focus of the show- which did not facilitate the need for cutting or rewriting any of the existing score

maybe its the same logic as to why Derek agreed to direct a new musical that he hadnt read yet

by Anonymousreply 55203/07/2013

Good points. Also for Jerry to suggest that they take Bombshell to The Public in any variation is ridiculous. Has Jerry ever seen a show at The Public? The last musicals there have been Fun Home and February House (both brilliant btw). What the hell would The Public ever want to do with this bomb?

I agree that nothing makes sense, but if you're not going to write a realistic show why are they bringing up the books of Ragtime and SITPWG in the first place!

by Anonymousreply 55303/07/2013

Angelica Huston gets to pick which version of the show to produce but why is the audience is supposed to care.

They never do scenes from the play only the musical numbers. Isn't a cliffhanger supposed to be dramatic?

by Anonymousreply 55403/07/2013

[quote]They hire a comedic actor to do a part in a serious show and he joins up without knowing a thing about the show or his role and proceeds to do fart jokes? Seriously? As far as I'm concerned it's the opposite of elitist, it's lowbrow.

Darling, the show was clearly using the fart jokes as a way to show how the play should NOT be done. It was a commentary, and a point for Hayes' character to learn how to be a serious actor.

Did you really think the show Smash was sending up fart jokes without being tongue in cheek?

Do you really not know the difference between dramatic irony and bad production choices?

Maybe the show IS too elitist for you, lol!!!

by Anonymousreply 55503/07/2013

Funny how no one even cares about the "hit List" storyline although there is great chemistry beween Andy Mientus and Wes Tay Tay, i think.

by Anonymousreply 55603/07/2013

[quote]Why have more people not been posting about last night's episode. Yes the ratings are abysmal, but now is not the time to abandon this show!

I watched Season 1, but gave up on this "improved" version a couple of weeks ago. It was far worse and much less fun than the first year -- dull and nonsensical. I think it was the embarrassing Eurythmics production number that made me shut it off for good.

Judging from this thread, it didn't get better.

by Anonymousreply 55703/07/2013

Silly R555, it wasn't just the fart joke that was stupid, the whole concept from beginning to end was stupid. Getting a comedic actor in the first place, his inability to figure out it was not a comedy, the director telling everyone to follow his lead, no one clueing him in until Ivy did. Stupid stupid stupid. Anyone with half a brain knows that was beyond ridiculous. This whole show is one preposterous scenario after another.

by Anonymousreply 55803/07/2013

I thought the whole Sean Hayes storyline was a commentary on the current practice of bringing in TV actors with no stage experience in order to sell tickets to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 55903/07/2013

R557 nails it. "SMash" wasn't perfect with Theresa Rebeck running it last year, but it was a SHITload better than this year. I'm hanging in, regardless. I'm starting to wonder though what's wrong with Spielberg - why he can't see all the problems with this show. Or probably he's not involved with the day-to-day - but I would think the beyond-hideous ratings must be a huge embarrassment to him.

I'm a huge show queen, for over 30 years. But I feared the show would be too "insider", "elitisit", what you will, for the average public. People like "American Idol", "The Voice", etc., I think because everyone can identify with a nervous singer, have their favorite, etc., etc. Most people have sung in choir, church, the high school musical - or wanted to, etc.

But who except actors and the people who love them, can really "get" the "fine points" of "Smash"? I am really disappointed it wasn't done by - Showtime? HBO? as originally planned. Could have been a Times Square Downton Abbey, baby!

by Anonymousreply 56003/07/2013

[quote]Could have been a Times Square Downton Abbey, baby!

With a LOT more gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 56103/07/2013

R559, didn't they already do that with Uma Thurman's character last year?

by Anonymousreply 56203/07/2013

And besides that couldn't they have used a more believable storyline than the asinine one they chose?

by Anonymousreply 56303/07/2013

One of the characters will die. One of the main ones seen in the opening title sequence. I'll say no more. It will be interesting to hear your guesses, though.

by Anonymousreply 56403/07/2013

Please let it be Debra Messing's character, oh please!!

by Anonymousreply 56503/07/2013

It has to be Borle.

by Anonymousreply 56603/07/2013

It was better under Rebeck... this season seems to replicate all her mistakes with characters you care even less about.

Hit List = Chinese adoption

Sean Hayes = Messing's messe up teenager

Jerry semi= Shrek

by Anonymousreply 56703/07/2013

My money's on Davenport.

That show's so messed up even their new and improved opening credits suck.

by Anonymousreply 56803/07/2013

Agree with R568. I say Davenport, too (though it should be Jeremy Jordan's character).

by Anonymousreply 56903/07/2013

Some people seem surprised that this version isn't better than the first. The new showrunner is from GOSSIP GIRL, for christ's sake, one of the biggest pieces of shit ever to have a long run.

by Anonymousreply 57003/08/2013

Too bad this show is such a disaster. A show a about the world of theater, done right, could be incredible.

by Anonymousreply 57103/08/2013

The whole series can be summed up by the scene where Ivy does the serious monologue while Sean Hayes is trying to yuck it up.

This show could be a serious look at the making of the Broadway show, but without all the soapy and outrageous aspects. Sure, focus on romance and the drama of egos, but must it be so uninteresting and unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 57203/08/2013

I just realized it will be Jeremy Jordan who will die - they will pattern it after Jonathan Larsen. Hit List = Rent.

LAME

by Anonymousreply 57303/08/2013

The real problem with the plot twist is that the workshop version did not contain a scene with Elizabeth Taylor, which was only added (and dropped) much later, when Grace Adler Designs was working with Take Me Out Naked, thus her suspicion that he was screwing her over. So it's NOT in the script from the workshop, but Jerry's secretary told Grace this was one of the scenes they liked best.

by Anonymousreply 57403/08/2013

What happened to Smash Adler's pregnancy?

by Anonymousreply 57503/08/2013

Bellhop, THANK you for that dish! Now I can amuse myself by trying to figure out whom: was thinking Huston; then posters pointed out Davenport which would make sense; they've rather painted him into a corner but THEN: I think the poster that said Jeremy Jordan is probably right - dear God, to compare what we've seen of that character to Jonathan Larsen?? Although I know there have been mixed feelings about Larsen over the years...

I guess if the Jordan character gets a cold in a couple of episodes from now, we'll get a clue, hee-hee!

Yes, what DID happen to the Grace/pregnancy thing? I agree with the poster who says (and I remember last year it being said) that that showrunner from Gossip Girl is an idiot (as seem to be TPTB at NBC for hiring him)

R574, you're smarter than anyone on the show! Dear God, isn't there a "continuity person" (or is that just in film?) on the show? No one getting a f---ing SALARY noticed this??

I hope, R574, you tweet NBC or someone on the show! Idiots...

by Anonymousreply 57603/08/2013

Thanks for your comments! :)

by Anonymousreply 57703/08/2013

I think Cousin Debbie's morning sickness was chalked up to indigestion and that was that. A sloppy transition to say the least, but I guess they were assuming people would forget about that plot point.

by Anonymousreply 57803/08/2013

thank you.

I am glad they they didn't go the pregnancy route.

by Anonymousreply 57903/08/2013

Making Messing pregnant would have been such a bad idea, and that was the path Rebeck was going down, but I'm glad they righted that ship. One of the few good decisions the new regime made.

by Anonymousreply 58003/08/2013

Derek dies opening night of Bombshell=Gower Champion

by Anonymousreply 58203/08/2013

But Gower directed and choreographed. Derek doesn't...

by Anonymousreply 58303/08/2013

Would Josh Safran know who Gower Champion is?

by Anonymousreply 58403/08/2013

Bellhop, I thought you s aid you would not post any spoilers. Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 58503/08/2013

Is Messing still fucking Will Chase?

by Anonymousreply 58603/08/2013

I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating: Why does no one in this show have an AGENT??!! People get hired, fired, abused, tossed around, and manipulated but not once has anyone talked about their representation.

by Anonymousreply 58703/08/2013

R585, I didn't say specifically WHO will die, did I? So lighten up, bitch.

Angelica Huston just finished her final scene and the crew stood and applauded her for several minutes. And she wept. A lovely moment for a class act. And Smash is shooting scenes totally out of sequence as everything else does so she still may or may not be the one to get killed off.

by Anonymousreply 58803/08/2013

This show is so stupid.

A writer shows up to a table-read why?

To find out what her script says!

Because she never read the script!

And spent all day having silly arguments instead of taking an hour to read the script that her career depends upon.

Ridiculous.

And so, suddenly, the workshop draft is GREAT even though everyone agreed the book was very weak.

by Anonymousreply 58903/08/2013

This show will be off the air long before there's any death.

by Anonymousreply 59003/08/2013

NBC will air all the episodes. Since they pulled Do No Harm right away they will stick it out with this one. There are only so many times a week they can show SVU reruns.

by Anonymousreply 59103/09/2013

They can't afford to air the rest of the episodes. They have to run something like SVU because even its reruns get three times the numbers of Smash.

by Anonymousreply 59203/09/2013

Another vote for Jeremy J's character who dies. And not a minute too soon.

They've already planted the instability, the drug binges, the "scary but glam" bohemia of Greenpoint. (Snort.) THE HIT LIST is RENT: brilliant original music with an unholy mess of a book. Karen will leave BOMBSHELL to triumph in THL just as JJ dies. THL will make history.

Does that make her Idina Menzl? Or Daphne Rubin-Vega?

by Anonymousreply 59303/09/2013

Davenport won't be missed. Mustard Mouth has mumbled his way through every episode.

by Anonymousreply 59403/09/2013

R583- Derek IS both the director and choreographer.

by Anonymousreply 59503/10/2013

Sadly it's over.

by Anonymousreply 59603/10/2013

Did anyone see Megan Hilty at Carnegie Hall?

by Anonymousreply 59703/10/2013

[quote]Did anyone see Megan Hilty at Carnegie Hall?

Yes, she was seated about 25 rows behind us.

by Anonymousreply 59803/10/2013

Season 3: a lavish revival of COCO! But who will play Chanel?

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 59903/10/2013

Megan Hilty will sing on The View tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 60003/10/2013

still up in the air!

by Anonymousreply 60103/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.