Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why are there so many trashy and narcissistic people in NYC?

Why are there so many trashy and narcissistic people in NYC?

Granted, I've only been here since August of last year (moved from Ceder Rapids, IA) but I'm shocked at how many trashy people are in NYC.

I thought it was supposed to be one of the most sophisticated and cultured cities in the world.

People here are also weirdly narcissistic. Everyone seems to think they are being trailed by a camera for some reality show. People here are constantly "on".

I also thought NYCers were supposed to be chill and relaxed. So many people here are uptight to the point where you wonder if they're constantly having a heart attack or anxiety attack. What's up with that?

Am I being unfair? Do I need to give it a few more months? Will it get better?

Or should I haul my ass back to Cedar Rapids?

by Anonymousreply 5106/28/2014

Oops, should read Cedar Rapids - not Ceder Rapids up above.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

Move to LA.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

They are 'on' for a reality show. It's called each other. I'm a New Yorker, born and raised, but I generally think this stereotype has more to do with people who move to the city because of the hype. It is a very cosmopolitan city with hundreds of people on every block. You won't stand out if you look like the average schlub, so everyone tries to look as good as they can.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

Is it your job? Where do you meet these people? I think all Americans are stressed to the max...I blame greedy corporations. They constantly cause us to fear losing our jobs. And you can forget enjoying your work, that seldom happens anymore...if you do enjoy your job, you can make sure your corporate leaders will find a way to change your job, so you WON'T, enjoy it anymore...god knows they don't want any happy employees.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

OP you are hanging out with the wrong folks.

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

Why do people live in NYC? No place to even park your car.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

They all sell real estate or go into law.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

OP, generally the native NYers are chill and relaxed. It is the transplants who think they have to act like entitled, nasty assholes. The funny part is that they are oblivious to the fact that we see them for what they are in seconds....frightened, insecure assholes two generations from the coal mine.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

Yes R6 because having a car is necessary for living in NYC when there are cabs, subway stations and towncars everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

New Yorkers are demanding and they don't put with the second-rate.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

There are narcissistic and trashy people everywhere. By their nature, they stand out from the crowd, so in a large and dense city like New York, they are going to seem omnipresent. If you hate New York, moving would probably be more productive than bitching. Personally, I live in Michigan and can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to live in NYC. I know it's not for me, so I'm not going to move there - I'm not going to choose to be unhappy, that's would be ridiculous. Other people love NYC and can't imagine living in a "flyover" state and being happy about it. That's fine for them. Focus on yourself and what makes you happy instead of worrying about everyone else, OP, you'll end up a lot happier and healthier.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

Born and raised here as well. And welcome to 21st century NYC OP.

This place used to be a refuge for freaks, artists, homos and old school wealth. With a healthy dollop of middle class folk spread liberally about.

Now it's a capitalist paradise. With everyone moving here right after college to "make it."

So what you are witnessing are media obsessed strivers subscribing to the age old axiom "fake it til you make it."

Or "act as if."

Act as if you are already famous. Act as if everyone wants to fuck you. Act as if your dick is 10 inches. Act as if you're smarter than everyone else. Act as if you are unique - even if you are acting and dressing like everyone else.

Because if you do it long enough, people will start believing. So the delusion goes.

I will say that most urban areas now have some version of this. LA is rancid with this type of deluded thinking. SF is clotted with precious, more-progressive-than-thou noxious types.

It's cultural. It's the zeitgeist. Try to find a niche for yourself. There *are* good people out there. They're just harder and harder to come by - especially in the urban alpha zone.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

New Yorkers, chill and relaxed? I never got that impression.Whatever made you think they would be chill and relaxed,of all things. Maybe try another city.

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

R6 my building has parking.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

OP is a troll - please don't feed him.

He's baiting us.

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2013

I doubt you're from a place that you don't know how to spell. So I agree: Troll.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2013

I agree, born and bred NYC people are typically chill.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2013

Why? I'm not American but I've heard that those from the NYC area are usually like that.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2013

N... Y... C!!!

Just got here this morning!

Three bucks, two bags, one me!

N... Y... C!!!

I give you fair warning!

Up there in lights I'll be!

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2013

This has to be a troll post if the OP is repeatedly telling us he's from Cedar Rapids, since anyone knows that fact will be ripped to shreds.

So, it's probably a NY DLer playing the role of a recent transplant from Cedar Rapids to get the big-city DLers to rip on "flyovers."

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

Are you drunk, R19?

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

[quote]This has to be a troll post if the OP is repeatedly telling us he's from Cedar Rapids, since anyone knows that fact will be ripped to shreds.

Oh I think not. Most of us here are adults, and so don't still have the gay-ghetto fear of the provinces we outgrew when we were twenty-three.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

[quote]Most of us here are adults, and so don't still have the gay-ghetto fear of the provinces we outgrew when we were twenty-three.

Keep telling yourself that. Do you even read DL?

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2013

They are all on meds, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

R12 is 100% correct.

"Try to find a niche for yourself. There *are* good people out there. They're just harder and harder to come by - especially in the urban alpha zone"

This is great advice.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

It wasn't always like that, OP. But the place has been teeming with useless wannabes since the mid-90's at least.

Used to be people went there to contribute something. But for most people now just getting there is their only achievement.

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2013

Can't be any worse than LA, capital of the trashy and narcissistic

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

At some point in the 90s it was decided that "the urban" was evil and "the suburban" was good, so the way to solve the problem of "the urban" was to important suburbia lock stock and barrel into the city. This is why NYC in 2013 is just a giant urban monument to the suburban lifestyle. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

please shop at DASH

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

R21. that post is the lyrics from the SONG "NYC," from the musical Annie.

Turn in your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013

I don't get why people who hate NY/LA insist on living/visiting these cities. If you don't like them, stay away, there's already too many millions of people staying here and loving it.

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

"My dad owns half of f**king Manhattan":

Here's a recent video clip I found posted on-line of some entitled millennial douchebag making an ass of himself. Unfortunately,NYC is loaded with these types nowadays.

Here's the description-

On Sunday June 22, 2014, these people fled a fight at Pranna nightlub, where they were obviously over-served alcohol." Club Pranna-79 Madison Ave, (near 28th St).

by Anonymousreply 3206/28/2014

Yes, R12 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 3306/28/2014

Face it, NYC is over. It is the citadel of greedy, low vibration, materialistic scum. Get out.

by Anonymousreply 3406/28/2014

I blame "Sex and the City".

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2014

I thought L. A. was supposed to be worse in that regard?

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2014

Not anymore, R37. It's a new era.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2014

There is nothing wrong with acting "as if." That is what people move to NYC FOR, to be what and who they always wanted to be, to reinvent themselves, to BE that "star." If you are NOT doing that in NYC, then get the hell out of the city. It is "life speeded up" and if you can't keep up, you will get trampled. It will make or break you. Either way, it is a marvelous thing. If NYC breaks you, you needed to be broken. Things have to fall apart, sometimes, before they fall together. Not everyone belongs in NYC and you cannot make it change to fit what some midwestern cornpone thinks it should be. It is what it is. And is not the right "fit" for everyone. People either love it, acclimate to it and stay. Or they don't. Either one is okay.

by Anonymousreply 3806/28/2014

[all posts by racist flame-bait shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3906/28/2014

3/10

by Anonymousreply 4006/28/2014

Your answer already lies within the question - because trashy and narcissistic people are attracted to larger city life. IT doesn't matter where you go, any larger city that has a PR firm spinning it as a glamorous sophisticated town. People buy into it - thinking moving there makes them that...but in reality lack those qualities because they assume it comes from moving to a town.

by Anonymousreply 4106/28/2014

R42, yes, and eventually the city distills these people out. They can't compete or they get "found out" or they are ostracized. Or they have their bubble burst about what NYC is all about. The city is brutal that way but that is what life is about, in some ways. You can't hide from who and what you ARE. Eventually the world will show you. This is why people who move to NYC move away. Or commit suicide. Or leave with negative impressions. It is not the city. It is the person. Always.

by Anonymousreply 4206/28/2014

Also, big city life makes people jaded.

by Anonymousreply 4306/28/2014

Can anyone please watch the video clip at link at r32 and then comment here about what you saw. Is that guy as big of a douche as he seems to me?

by Anonymousreply 4406/28/2014

New York is urban. I don't know if it's ever been sophisticated. I mean, it's still in the U.S, y'know.

by Anonymousreply 4506/28/2014

OP - then just forget about moving to LA ...

by Anonymousreply 4606/28/2014

R32, the city has ALWAYS been "loaded" with those types of douchebags. But if you don't seek out that energy, it won't find you that often. New York is what you want to make it. If you want entitled douchebag asshole millenials to annoy you, you will find them. If you want fun, funny, nice and talented friends, you will find them, too. Younger people don't know who or what they are, have no solid "center" and are oh, so impressionable. They city does a number on young people in this way.

by Anonymousreply 4706/28/2014

No one comes to NY to be chill or relaxed. People are there to achieve and succeed at the highest levels, you flyover rube.

Iowa is clearly more your speed. Go back there.

by Anonymousreply 4806/28/2014

[quote]I also thought NYCers were supposed to be chill and relaxed.

You were misinformed.

by Anonymousreply 4906/28/2014

ever lived in California or Washington DC?

by Anonymousreply 5006/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.