Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What qualifies as insanity?

We hear the words a lot but I don't think most people truly understand what it means.

What, in your opinion, is madness? What conditions, prerequisites must a person have to be considered mad?

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

They were born, lived in, or passed through Spartanburg, South Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

HELP - I just took on a roommate , and after reading another thread, I think he's a 'borderline' case . Seemed calm when I interviewed him, and now he's ranting over the smallest things , very lethargic half the time, and then acting all haughty, and arrogant, and bitching constantly. Not dangerous crazy, but off. Could it be insanity? Know he has very few friends, and family lives far, far away.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

You are right, most people don't know what it means, apparently including you. It is no longer used in the scientific community so equating it with madness, a term also no longer used in the scientific community, is imprecise.

Insanity is now used as a legal term. Often, depending on the jurisdiction, it is is defined as some form of the McNaughton Rules: at the time of the commission of the acts constituting the offense, the defendant, as a result of a severe mental disease or defect, was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of his acts" (18 U.S.C. § 17).

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

when someone repeats the same action over and over again, and expects different results.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

When they don't agree with what you say

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

Half the posts on DL

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

They were born, lived in, or passed through Greenville, South Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

Who cares about insanity? Everyone is crazy in their own way anyway.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

60% of the Republican't party. The other 40% are moderates in denial.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

Think untreated Schizophrenia where the individual is disconnected with reality.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

F A S#160;T#160;I#160;N#160;G#160;!

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

OP, are you the same person as the "I don't understand pdophilia poster?

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

Broadly, mental illness involves being a danger to one's self or others and/or being incapacitated to the point of being unable to care for one's self and/or leading a life that is greatly diminished and being unhappy about it.

Generally, all mental illness falls into one of three categories: a thought disorder, a mood disorder or a combination of both. "Insanity" is, I guess, an attempt to label what we now call psychosis...a profound thought disorder in which internal and external stimuli is not processed accurately to the point that one is clearly mentally ill (see above).

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!