Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone here from Oklahoma City?

Just wondering what it's really like and if I'd want to relocate there.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

Rather die!

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

Cowboy hats, pick up trucks, Baptists. It's a blast!

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

Homophobes to the left of you. Homophobes to the right of you.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

The funniest billboard I've ever seen was in Oklahoma City: "I scream, you scream, we all scream for pork loin."

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Is Angles still open ?

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

It's AWFUL. I grew up and went to college in Oklahoma and high-tailed it out as soon as I graduated. Tulsa at least has some trees and good Art Deco architecture. OKC has red dust and shitty restaurants. There are no zoning laws and most of the city is ugly as fuck. Other than the cheap cost of living, I really can't think of one good thing about the place.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

Oh come on. It's got the world's greatest selection of string ties surely?

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

Gritty.. Tulsa much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

Only losers like okie live in that shit hole. But he lives under the OKC bridge.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

r6 = SteveS

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

Oklahoma City is the bomb. Oops. Maybe that was a bad description. Really, it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

R8=nutbag

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

The thought of living in a totally landlocked state makes me physically ill. The only one I think I could stomach would be Colorado because I would just smoke so much pot that I'd hallucinate the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2013

Politically speaking, Oklahoma makes Texas look like Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2013

I live in OKC, born and raised out in western Oklahoma so been here my whole life. It's okay I guess, the downtown revitalization is still going, the gay scene is so-so. The Habana Inn is still going, w/the Finishline and Copa clubs inside. Angles is still around, but it's only open for special gay events/fundraisers. The other bars are the Park, Tramps, Phoenix, and the Boom. All the gay clubs are in the same area/walking distance. I'm in my early 30's and not much into that scene anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

I have lived in Central Oklahoma my whole life, so I don't have much with which to compare it. While the politics are awful, most people are nice in person. My son attended a church run child care and we never had any problems. They always had him make two mother's day crafts, one for each of us.

Housing is very affordable, but wages are lower. Fairly decent local theater - better than small town community theater. Decent local music. John Fullbright is nominated for a Grammy this year and he was playing local coffee shops until June. Lots of great local restaurants. A million chains, but plenty of good local places. I haven't done the club scene in years, so I have nothing to offer there.

The best thing about OKC is the delight of finding a kindred political spirit. Progressives here are a close knit and active group.

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

Born and raised Okie here. Got the hell out of that miserable state (literally) the day after I graduated from college and been gone ever since. Having said that ...

.... 2 years ago I was offered a PRIMO job in OKC. The job had it all BIG BUCKS PAYCHECK, all medical/dental/insurance 100% paid, great bonuses, etc., etc., I went, gritting my teeth all the way. Much to my surprise, once I relocated there, the place had changed enormously and had actually become a rather livable place. Why? It was explained to me that when the A.P. Murrah federal courthouse was bombed years ago, it literally and overnight FORCED Oklahoma City to shape up and join the real world. No more self-imposed "introversion." All of a sudden, international attention swooped down on OKC. The city fathers there pretty quickly realized that all that publicity could work to their advantage ... they began passing tax/city improvement packages, earmarked millions upon millions on parks, street improvement, city beautification improvements, great minor leage baseball stadium, finally got a real live honest-to-good NBA professional team (and a darned good one, too) ... all of a sudden the city starting getting interest in retailers, commercial investors, real estate magnates, etc.,

All in all, the city seems to have all the "momentum," whereas previously it was always Tulsa that had it all -- pretty part of the state, nice hills, lots of city pride, tons of oil money floating around, etc., One or two lousy mayors of Tulsa have pretty much destroyed all of that apparently ... and now, it's OKC that has everything going for it. Plus, it's an extremely easy city to live in and get around ... cost of living? Phenomenally low. Everytime I hear people bad mouth OKC -- or anything Oklahoma for that matter -- I simply laugh ... And new Yorkers love to disparagingly namecall "flyover country" as being so "provincial," when all along it's those very same namecallers who are in fact provincial! LMAO. Ah! The great irony!

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

They have two of the most conservative Senators in the country.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

Thunder NBA team (got to Finals last season) have really injected some life into OKC. Kevin Durant!

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.