Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Windows 8 Tip: Buy the Electronic Upgrade Now, Install It Later

Not willing or ready to upgrade to Windows 8 just yet, but would rather get the upgrade for $39 than have to pay $200?? Well, here's a tip for you.

The "introductory price" goes up at the end of January, so there's only one week left. And even if you have a non-touch PC, you can get a faster, more stable version of Windows for just $39 and configure it to ignore all the "touch stuff" if that's what you want (there are even cheap 3rd party utilities that'll bring back your start menu & button).

See link for info in how to do this:

by Anonymousreply 15902/02/2013

thanks OP

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2013

Crazy, jump-through-hoops Windows shit.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

It looks nice but I am a firm believer in the hold on to you current version and skip the next version starting with W98. I'll hold for W9 cause W7 has been very stable. No reason to upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

R3 Agreed. I skipped Windows me and Vista. Windows 7 has been perfectly fine, and unless you have a touch screen, I don't see much benefit to Windows 8.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

I bought a new laptop before Windows 8 came out on purpose!

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

Windows 8 has some slightly better features, like the Metro interface which I've come to like. It's much easier to find files on 8 than on 7 - it's like having the old Google Desktop (ie - it searches within documents for matches). I'm a PhDs student with thousands of Words, excel and ppt docs archived, so that's a fantastic feature.

Otherwise, 7 was a great release and had my hard drive not died last year, I probably wouldn't have downloaded the 8 beta.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

I'm still stuck with Windows XP. I should have upgraded to Windows 7 when it first came out and was cheap, but now it costs like $98 bucks for the Windows 7 software.

I was going to upgrade to Windows 8 until I saw that horrendous desktop - WTF are all those big ugly icons that cover up the whole screen and where's the start menu? And can you even personalize your wallpaper anymore? It just looks so impersonal now.

Windows needs to quit fucking up things. I hope it flops just like Vista and that they'll go back to the old layout.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

It's possible they'll spin out something more desk/laptop non-touchscreen friendly. Even though tablets and smart phones are the thing now, the PC is far from dead. Unless the dummies at Microsoft want to kill it.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

The few people I know who have bought a Microsoft Surface use it to crack walnuts. It's real handy for that.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

What's with all this touchscreen obsession shit? Yes, tablets and smartphones are nice, but if I'm going to be typing Word documents, making Excel spreadsheets, editing photographs, etc, then I want to be on my desktop or laptop where I can have a regular keyboard and a big screen. Windows trying to force this smartphone layout shit on desktops/laptops is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

[quote]I'm still stuck with Windows XP.

Then you really have no business participating in this conversation. I mean, really.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013

[quote]now it costs like $98 bucks for the Windows 7 software.

Will the price drop for 7 when 8 is in full release?

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

R3/R4, I don't think that strategy will work any more.

Windows isn't doing the "every 3-5 year major update" any more. They'll be rolling out updates on a more-or-less annual basis, much like iOS, OS X, and Android.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2013

[quote]I was going to upgrade to Windows 8 until I saw that horrendous desktop - WTF are all those big ugly icons that cover up the whole screen and where's the start menu? And can you even personalize your wallpaper anymore? It just looks so impersonal now.

Sigh. R8, you're a perfect example of someone with a little erroneous knowledge lashing out in anger over nothing.

The desktop in Win8 is much like the desktop in Win7... it works the same. The "transparent glass" look is gone, but other than that, it's the same. In fact, it has many improvements... improvements to File Explorer, SkyDrive integration, new and improved Task manager, much better file management/copy/move capabilities... etc. You use it the way you always have. And you can put any wallpaper you want on it.

The thing you're screaming about isn't the desktop. It's the "Start Screen". It replaces the start menu. You pin your most used desktop apps to your taskbar (just like Win7) and then pin any secondary apps you want to the start screen for easy access. It's also where any new "Metro"-style apps you want to use go (but you don't have to use them).

I use Win8 on a Surface touch tablet, and use the "Metro" stuff almost exclusively.

I also use Win8 on a non-touch tablet and a desktop, and I almost never see that screen or anything "metro"... I just use it as a "better Windows 7".

It's much faster, more stable, more secure, and has more features (like an easier to use backup in "File History", and the ability to flexibly pool additional mass storage in USB external hard drives with "Storage Spaces").

So, before lashing out at something, perhaps you should learn at least a LITTLE bit about what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2013

R12 Believe it or not, some of us are poor gays. Not all of us have the disposable income that you do asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2013

[quote]What's with all this touchscreen obsession shit? Yes, tablets and smartphones are nice, but if I'm going to be typing Word documents, making Excel spreadsheets, editing photographs, etc, then I want to be on my desktop or laptop where I can have a regular keyboard and a big screen. Windows trying to force this smartphone layout shit on desktops/laptops is stupid.

You can do all that on Windows 8. The "smartphone layout shit" isn't FORCED on you. And trust me, it's not stupid. It's a bit different, but it's not stupid.

Even on desktops and laptops, touch screens add some nice value. No, you won't be typing on them for godsakes, but it can be very fast and efficient sometimes to just reach up and touch or flick something, than moving your hand to the mouse or track-pad.

Try it before you reject it out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2013

[quote]Will the price drop for 7 when 8 is in full release?

Win8 is in full release right now.

Win7 costs the same as Win8 effective March 1st. Until then, Win8 upgrades are dirt cheap... and can update any version of XP, Vista, or Win7.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2013

Side note: Before upgrading old hardware, double-check with the manufacturer's site to ensure there are win-8 drives or that win8 is supported on that hardware.

Some old trackpads (like those with bevels around them, making it impossible to swipe in from the sides) don't work well with Win8, and some aren't supported at all. Just as an example.

Otherwise, the upgrade is pretty fast and smooth from Windows 7... it preserves all your apps and settings, and takes almost no effort.

Upgrading from Vista will preserve your settings but not your apps.

Upgrading from XP won't preserve your apps or settings... you'll need to reinstall and reconfigure everything, so expect to spend days getting back to where you were.

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

If you're upgrading from XP or Vista, be sure to locate any "keys" for any apps (like Office) so you can re-install them. Many games, and apps require these keys at install time, and if you've lost them, you may be out of luck.

It's not an issue when upgrading from Windows 7, as you get to keep everything in place when doing so.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

[quote]The "introductory price" goes up at the end of January,

[quote]Win7 costs the same as Win8 effective March 1st. Until then, Win8 upgrades are dirt cheap...

There seems to be a bit of disagreement here.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

Sorry, that should read FEBRUARY 1st.

My bad.

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2013

Still use Windows XP at home, Windows 7 for work, and don't see any need to go to Windows 8. Every upgrade comes with its shares of headaches (programs that no longer work, that you can't re-install or locate disks for, etc.) and Microsoft has been doing a terrible job in justifying moving to 8 (honestly, this has been the case since XP). Yes, you can disable Metro if you don't like it, but then... what's the point? Is there an increase in speed? Productivity?

If your old OS works fine, and you can do everything you need to do on it... then why shell out extra money for another OS? There has to be a killer app or hardware requirements that outstrip your current OS, and most software developers (and game makers) still make their programs XP-compatible because of its widespread popularity. Even with XP's memory limitations, every PC game I've played still runs great (though I have a nicer GPU).

The businesses I've worked at and visited still use XP today, and even our outside IT firms are still on it. Which is a great credit to Microsoft - a whole lot of people and businesses are happy to stick with Windows XP because it's a great OS - stable, quick and efficient on minimal (cheap) hardware requirements, gets most tasks done. I like Windows 7 as well, but honestly, if XP was capable of handling more memory (above 2 GB RAM), I'd be fine using it for another few years. Microsoft's kind of a victim of its own success.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

[quote]honestly, this has been the case since XP

I disagree. I think the case for upgrading from XP to Windows 7 is extremely strong.

Windows 7 is lightyears more secure, more functional, more refined, easier to use, and FAR more stable...

The ONLY reason to not upgrade from XP to Win7 is if the hardware is so ancient and the graphics card so old and lame, that it couldn't handle it. And such a PC would have to be at least 8 years old, as anything sold in the last 8 years can pretty much run Win just fine.

[quote]Microsoft has been doing a terrible job in justifying moving to 8. Yes, you can disable Metro if you don't like it, but then... what's the point? Is there an increase in speed? Productivity?

You're right. There's less of a case here to upgrade existing hardware to Win8, and MS has been doing a terrible job of explaining why anyone would want to.

Let me try:

1) It's significantly faster. MUCH faster boot-up times, sleep times, shut-down times, and resume-from-sleep times. It's dramatically faster in many ways.

2) If you have multiple Win8 systems, and log in with the new Microsoft ID, you have a lot of great features including transparent syncing of settings and data, and easy access to any file on any PC you own, no matter where you are (via SkyDrive and a feature that allows you to fetch files from any PC you manage through your single Microsoft ID account)

3) New features including easier/better backup ("File History", sorta like OS X's "Time Machine" without the glitzy graphics), and improvements to Windows Explorer (built in support for *.iso files for virtual mounting of CDRoms that have been ripped, especially useful in ultrabooks that lack a CDRom drive) and built in support for USB for faster file copies, etc.

4) there are a ton of little improvements, any one of which isn't all that, but which together can make using the PC better... new networking stack and controls makes mobile use easier & it's easier to monitor network usage, for example; if you have multiple displays on your desktop, there are improvements to multi-display support, including wallpaper and taskbar enhancements and new options there.

Windows 8 is a far easier sell on new hardware that was designed with Win8 in mind (touch screens, large trackpads, new hardware that Win8 supports like compasses & LTE networking & accelerometers & NFC.

I upgraded my Win7 desktop & laptop to Win8 for $40 each, and have no complaints. I like it a lot, once I configured it to suit me and my hardware (i.e. I don't have touch anything, so I reconfigured the "default" programs to launch the desktop versions instead of metro versions when I click on files or videos or music, for example).

It does take a little getting use to, and yes, you have to read or have someone give you tips at first, because some of the features are NOT obvious until you actually see them in use (like closing a metro app... without being told, you'd never figure it out, but once you're told, it's fast and easy and nothing you have to try and remember).

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

When you say Windows 7 is "... FAR more stable" r25, what exactly do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2013

R19 Don't fucking tell me what I can and can't participate in you cunt. Did you stop to think that maybe I know people who have told me their experiences with Windows 8 or that maybe I've seen video tutorials of it?

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

[quote]When you say Windows 7 is "... FAR more stable" R25, what exactly do you mean?

I mean it doesn't crash nearly as often, and in fact is VERY difficult to crash. A crashing app can't take the OS with it. The only time you'll ever see a blue-screen-of-death is if you have failing hardware (like bad memory or a disk drive controller going back), or a really buggy driver (which is really rare any more). It also doesn't suffer from "Windows Rot", like XP did, where it slows down over time, and requires a fresh install to restore it to full speed.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

I'd rather spend my money elsewhere so its Vista for me unless someone gives a great reason to upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

My brother got me my computer through his work and though I requested Windows 7, 8 was $100 cheaper so he got that.

Can the Windows proselyte explain why I should like the start screen? It seems horribly unnecessary and adds a step at startup and shot down. I don't have a touch screen, I surf the web and word process primarily...just like 90% of the rest of the people with PCs. It just seems to me that some designer somewhere thought, "Hey, this is so cool! I'm going to do this! Anyone who doesn't like it is an idiot and I know better."

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

[quote]I'd rather spend my money elsewhere so its Vista for me unless someone gives a great reason to upgrade.

Significant improvements to the task-bar, much faster boot-up/shut-down/sleep/restart, uses a lot less memory, runs applications faster, more stable, more secure...

But you'd have to tell me more about your hardware, and how you use your PC(s) for me to be any more detailed.

I think Win7 was totally worth the upgrade price from Vista (I used both for the full lengths of their run, and still use Win7 at work). I think Win8 is worth the $40 upgrade from Win7 (but not the $200 price it'll be next week).

I don't see any real reason to remain on Vista, in fact. Even though it was fine once they came out with SP1, Win7 is still better in every single imaginable way.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013

But I have SP1 and SP2 and (maybe?) SP3 on Vista. Shouldn't I next jump to Win* in that case?

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2013

Whoa hope the MS troll is getting overtime. Bitch is pissing all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2013

[quote]So, eldergay XP user, you know another eldergay who got Windows 8 and was confused by all the buttons.

Some would wish your movement toward eldergay status will end swiftly and soon but that's not a nice thought on a warm sunny day.

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2013

R30 *sigh* This site has become filled with venomous bitches (more than usual). I swear some of the people in this thread work for Microsoft by the way they lash out at anyone who isn't impressed with Windows 8.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2013

[quote]Can the Windows proselyte explain why I should like the start screen? It seems horribly unnecessary and adds a step at startup and shot down

Think of it as a "dashboard". Unpin everything that doesn't interest you, and pin anything you want. Organize into groups and label those groups.

If you put the desktop tile at the upper-left-most position ('the top'), then you can get to the desktop by simply pressing Enter.

This "dashboard", essentially the replacement for the start menu, is like a "home screen". You do all your searching from here (just start typing), and can get info about various things (like weather) at a glance from here. The windows key will toggle it... press it once to see the start screen, press it again to go back to whatever you were doing.

If you give it an honest try, and still see no purpose in it, you can always buy "Start8", and do away with it entirely.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2013

Can you tell me more about start8?

I understand how the start screen works. I just don't see the point of it. Before I got the desktop and could use the menu to see the programs I needed. Now I have to look at a bunch of programs I never use before I can get where I know I will end up (desktop). Removing all the unnecessary programs wont remove that extra step.

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2013

[quote]I understand how the start screen works. I just don't see the point of it.

You use it just as you did the "Start Menu" in Windows 7.

If you don't have an app pinned to your task bar or as a short-cut on your desktop and you want to launch it, if it's pinned to your start screen, you just hit the start-screen and launch it. It's a "launcher" + "dashboard" (with live tiles) all in one. It's also the place you search for anything you want that ISN'T pinned to the task bar or start screen. You can find files, apps, settings, or anything by just starting typing.

[quote]Now I have to look at a bunch of programs I never use before I can get where I know I will end up (desktop).

No, you don't. Just right click any you don't use and click "unpin from start"... exactly the same as you did in Win7 when there were things on your start menu you never used. Right-click the background and click "All Apps" to see all the apps installed on your system.

And pressing enter as an extra step isn't burdensome. Just stick the desktop tile as the first tile, and you're good to go. Or put your most-used desktop apps as pinned tiles, and it's one click to launch them... no extra step involved. (i.e. in Win7, you launch from task bar in one click... in Win8 you launch from start screen in one click... same exact number of steps). Meanwhile, you can get weather or stock info or FB/Twitter updates at a glance via live tiles if you want. Or not, your decision.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2013

So intuitive hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2013

Well, thanks for your response, r39. But as I said, I understand HOW it works. It just creates an extra step when I start up and shut down and I dont see the benefit of it.

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2013

Is there anyway to get rid of all the ugly tiles and go back to small icons?

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2013

[quote]It just creates an extra step when I start up

I just explained that it does NOT create an extra step at all. It's the exact same number of clicks before you're working in your Word Processing app or browser.

And it has absolutely zero effect on shut-down. Though you can pin a "shutdown" tile to the screen so it's a quick tap of the windows key, and then click on the shutdown tile... shutdown is normally accessed by either pushing the hardware power button, or by opening the charms menu (mouse to right-hand corner and move to "settings", then Power->Shutdown... or use WindowsKey-C to access it from the keyboard).

So no, I'm not sure you really do know how it works. There is no "extra step". If you still think there is, please describe it to me. Because I'm just not seeing it, and I use Win8 every day. I'm running it right now, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 4301/26/2013

R42, the "small icons" can be pinned to your desktop taskbar, same as always in Win7.

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2013

When I started up my last computer, it went right to the desktop. Now I get the start up screen and have to click on the desktop to get there. That's an extra step.

When I shut down from being on the desktop, instead of just clicking on shut down, I have to go back to the start up screen, click on my name to sign off, which takes me back to the pre-start up screen where I have to choose to shut down again. That's at least an extra step to shut down if not more from what I used to do.

What I said is I know how to use the tiles screen. I know I can remove things from it, add things to it, change sizes of tiles. I just dont need to be offered everything when I would like to just shut down.

Maybe I am an idiot. Or maybe the design is just more clever than it needs to be for the average user.

What is the benefit to this start up screen system? How is it better? You keep telling me how it is like the way I am used to. But doing the same essential things differently alone is not an improvement. And yes, I get it is faster and more stable, but couldnt it have been those things and still in the format I prefer?

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2013

Hey, Microsoft Shill? You might want to can the snippy, condescending attitude. You're still just a shopgirl.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2013

How do you change the sizes of the ugly tiles?

by Anonymousreply 4801/26/2013

[quote]When I started up my last computer, it went right to the desktop. Now I get the start up screen and have to click on the desktop to get there. That's an extra step

Okay, I'll try again, this time speaking more slowly, in hopes that I won't have to repeat myself a fourth time before you "get it".

If you want to open a browser:

In Win 7, it boots to the desktop. You click the Browser icon pinned to your task bar. One click.

In Win8, it boots to the start screen. You click the browser icon pinned to your task bar. One click.

THERE. IS. NO. EXTRA. STEP.

There is no law requiring you to click the Desktop tile before starting a desktop app. You can pin desktop apps right to your start screen, and start them directly.

[quote]When I shut down from being on the desktop, instead of just clicking on shut down, I have to go back to the start up screen, click on my name to sign off, which takes me back to the pre-start up screen where I have to choose to shut down again. That's at least an extra step to shut down if not more from what I used to do.

No. You don't have to go back to the start screen. From anywhere in the system, you can mouse to either right-hand corner, drag towards the center, click the "Settings" charm that pops up, then click the Power button.

OR, you can hold the Windows key and press C to bring up the system charms menu, and then click the power button at the bottom.

OR, you could just hit your power button on your desktop PC. Same thing.

There is absolutely NO REASON you should have to log off first, or return to the start screen, just to shut down.

If you choose to bend over backwards and jump through unnecessary hoops to get anything done, it's not the fault of Windows 8.

There are no extra steps required. You're creating extra steps, and that's your issue. If you don't like it, just stop doing it. Viola, problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 4901/26/2013

r48, just right click on a tile.

by Anonymousreply 5001/26/2013

Well, thanks. But you are kind of being a dick now. None of what you are saying is obvious or intuitive. And as you say it in no way saves you any steps so it is not really an improvement. Just a change for change sake.

Nonetheless you have given me hints about ways to do things that are welcomed.

by Anonymousreply 5101/26/2013

Thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 5201/26/2013

[quote]Well, thanks. But you are kind of being a dick now.

I'm sorry, but it was the THIRD TIME I explained the exact same thing. I tend to get a little snippy when I end up having to repeat myself over and over.

[quote]None of what you are saying is obvious or intuitive.

There's no such thing as obvious or intuitive. Especially when it comes to computers. Yes, there's a new paradigm, and yes you have to learn this new paradigm, which is a pain in the ass, admittedly. But it was for windows (when it was first introduced), and it was for the Mac (when it was first introduced) too.

There are lots of improvements. It's not just "change for change's sake". It only seems like it now because it's the first step in a transition of the way we do things. And if you ever used it on a touch tablet, it would make a lot MORE sense to you.

I am trying to help here, and I apologize if I get snippy, but I do get tired of explaining the same things over and over, or having people insist to me things that simply aren't true. I wish I had more patience but I don't, which is why I'm not a teacher.

But I AM here trying to help. And if I've managed to help, I'm glad. And if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to continue to help as best I can. But it helps to learn when you don't start out with the attitude of "this is shit it's pointless and nothing makes sense and its stupid"... that makes it hard for you to actually accept the help when it's offered.

by Anonymousreply 5301/26/2013

r53, I appreciate your mea culpa and forgive you calling me Viola.

What I mean by not being intuitive is I would never look under "settings" to shut my computer down. I would look under settings to adjust the brightness of my screen or the language or something that remains consistent. I would not look under settings to perform a task I perform everyday.

And in my defense, you will see I never said "this is shit, I hate it." All I was asking for was some way to see why this was an improvement for me as a user and for hints to make my user experience better. I appreciate your efforts there.

by Anonymousreply 5401/26/2013

R54, I don't disagree with you there. I don't understand why shut-down/restart isn't under your profile icon just like log-off.

But then it was never intuitive to have "Shut down" under "Start", where it was before, either. In fact, When that first appeared, there was a lot of outrage at how silly it was, and how it made no sense, and was unintuitive.

But here's another fun fact: you don't need to shut down every day. Or at all, really. I never shut down my Win8 PCs. I just have them set to go to sleep after so many minutes of no use. The resume-from-sleep is so fast, that it's not a big deal.

So you can actually eliminate that step if you want. That's an improvement, imho.

I also assume the power button on your PC isn't easily accessible? that's still the most "intuitive" way to shut down. Just press it, and it's exactly the same as going through the settings->Power->Shutdown routine.

Easy way to get to your "power options" to set things like when your computer goes to sleep, when your screen shuts off, etc., is to mouse to the lower-left-corner, and RIGHT click instead of left-click (left clicking returns you to Start screen, Right-clicking brings up the "power menu"). This works from anywhere. The keyboard shortcut is "WindowsKey-X".

This is the easy way to get to things like device manager, control panel, network setings, and "Power Options" is right there near the top.

For my laptop, I just set the computer to go to sleep when I close the lid, and resume when I open it. The system resumes so fast, it's ready to use before I even get the lid completely open.

On the desktop, it just goes to sleep after 10 minutes of disuse. It wakes up again when I wiggle the mouse or press a key on the keyboard. No waiting for boot-up. Just hit the space bar to dismiss the "lock screen", and I'm back where I was.

by Anonymousreply 5501/26/2013

Using the power button to shut down is a safe way to shut down? Somewhere along the way I got the impression you should never do that unless your computer completely locks up.

by Anonymousreply 5601/26/2013

R56, yes, it's totally safe. I believe it's been that way since Vista, actually. You just press it once to do a safe shut-down. If your computer locks up or crashes, you can press-and-hold it for several seconds for a forced (non-safe) shut-down.

Any computer (desktop or laptop) should work this way if it was made in the last five or six years I believe.

It was NOT always safe under XP, and definitely not under earlier versions of Windows than that.

But now, it's exactly the same as shutting down the "normal" way, only you don't have options for restart or anything. It's a shutdown. (though through "power options" you can sometimes configure it for other things, like sleep or hibernate, given the right hardware and drivers).

by Anonymousreply 5801/26/2013

Untrue, R57.

by Anonymousreply 5901/26/2013

Thanks, r58.

by Anonymousreply 6001/26/2013

Another advantage of setting your desktop to sleep and never shutting down: you never actually see the start screen unless you specifically call it up. I go days and weeks without ever seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 6101/26/2013

It's impossible to have a DL thread about Windows 8 without the Condescending Microsoft Shill entering the thread to insist that all doubters are idiots and that Windows 8 is the GREATEST THING EVER! If Windows 8 were as wonderful and intuitive as the shill insists it is, he wouldn't have to be so defensive and provide such long, drawn-out explanations.

by Anonymousreply 6201/26/2013

Apple fan boys and girls surely find this whole thread Incredibly hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 6301/26/2013

Yeah, R63, because Apple has never forced a paradigm shift on their users. Oh wait... (Apple IIe -> Mac, OS9 -> OS X, Motorola 68K -> PowerPC -> Intel, ...)

by Anonymousreply 6401/26/2013

R63, don't even get me started on Apple products - I work in a company where several employees use Macs, and it's a clusterfuck to even get them connected to printers or a wireless network. So many incompatible drivers, so many programs limited to certain OS versions ("well, you're on Snow Leopard, but you need to install Mountain Lion"). What OS are they on now? 10.8? After 10.6 or 10.7? Yeah, the average user is really thrilled about keeping up with that crap.

Neither Apple or Microsoft are doing particularly great things with the user experience at the moment. Windows 8 strikes me very much as a "solution for a problem that doesn't exist", or a late attempt to force a tablet interface on a desktop environment. Instead of playing to a desktop / PC's strengths (keyboard / mouse entry is a lot more precise and organized than touchscreen entry), they're tacking something on because they know they're late to the tablet / phone game - so the only way they can muscle in on the iOS / Android competition is to attempt to force desktop / business users (still their primary strength, but a shrinking market) to start using their tablet-like OS, and thus "encourage" them to start using their tablets / phones as well.

Windows 8 is not about improving the user experience. It's about getting desktop users (who were pretty much fine with their desktop experience) to become reliant on Microsoft-based tablets and phones.

by Anonymousreply 6501/26/2013

Not too far off the mark, R65, but considering the desktop market is in strong decline, it's pretty much a necessary move for MS. If they want to be even remotely relevant in even just five years time. They could have coasted on with Win7, but they'd be losing out on the entire future of computing.

Here's an interesting article and video that lays it all out. Yeah, it's an hour long, but if you're actually interested in why Windows 8 is the way it is, it's pretty fascinating, and worth your time.

by Anonymousreply 6601/26/2013

Given that Windows 8 is having a pretty slow start (falling behind sales of Win7 / Vista in their opening periods), it doesn't seem like a strategy that's being executed particularly well, R66. And it'd be idiotic to chase after a market that already has established players and competition (iOS / Android) and end up losing part of your core market as well (desktop / business users).

Windows 7 was a good recovery for Microsoft after the Vista debacle, but all signs seem to point to Windows 8 being another "lost" generation that's going to cost Microsoft lots of money in marketing and resources, without much return (and it will only further accelerate the decline of PC hardware manufacturers, who depend on popular OS's to justify sales of powered-up laptops and desktops).

by Anonymousreply 6701/26/2013

I disagree with that, actually, R67.

First, Businesses won't upgrade to this. There's no reason or need. They'll continue moving to Win7 and stick with that.

This is a consumer play. And where Win8 shines is on new hardware designed for it. And MS is also using Win8 to re-assert some control over third party OEMs, who had gotten pretty lazy/sloppy (there's no reason that PC trackpads should suck the way they do, for starters). To be "Win8 certified", computers have to be a lot higher quality than before.

Getting Win8 with a new computer (complete with touch screen) will be a game changer.

Win8 is doing better than Vista, and nearly as well as Win7 so far. Win 8 is no "Vista"... Vista was an actually flawed operating system. It had really bogus "minimum requirements" (most "Vista-Ready" PCs simply weren't), gobbled memory like crazy, and had several instabilities and performance issues prior to SP1 being released.

WIn8 has none of that. The only issue is the change in UI, and most of that is a UI that is new and added on, and can be relatively easily ignored on a desktop without touch.

I actually get annoyed at work when I'm on Win7, because I'm getting used to Win8.

I remember when XP came out, people HOWLED at how bad the "cartoony" and "ugly" UI was. Now you see people clinging to it as if it were the best thing on the planet. It's what you get used to.

Right now, Win8's major problem isn't the UI, but the lack of robust, really good software for the "metro" side of things. The included "Mail" app is pretty lame (the version on Windows Phone 8 is dramatically better), and the calendar app is sort of weak. If they can beef up the included apps, make them more full featured and less like toys, then Win8 will seem like a better OS over-all... because it's through the apps that most people experience Win8.

If MS is aggressive at updating them, and updating the base OS (which rumor has it, a new update with more features -- but still called "Windows 8" -- will appear before the year is out), they could have a chance.

BTW, I have an Xbox 360 and a Lumia 920 phone, and the way things just integrate and share together is pretty slick. They're on to something here, but there are still too many rough edges. If they can smooth them out quickly, I think they have a compelling system that has every right to succeed in the market.

by Anonymousreply 6801/26/2013

R67, do take the time to watch the video at the link in R66.

by Anonymousreply 6901/26/2013

My only problem with upgrading are the issues that develop with my plug-ins and apps not working especially in regard to Itunes. I visited several sites and some say Itunes is compatible and others who say it isn't. I don't want to take the chance and spend days trying to make something work. This upgrade is just an attempt by Microsoft to use their products. I don't blame them. Apple does the same thing. I'm on 7 and I like it and I feel no need to change. Microsoft will probably send out a service pack that will mess it up though.

by Anonymousreply 7001/26/2013

R70, there will be no more service packs for Windows 7. Only security updates and bug fixes.

If you have any issues with iTunes, its a problem with iTunes. iTunes on Windows is notoriously horrible.

I assume you have to use it because you have an iPhone. With more and more cloud services, you need to use iTunes less and less for syncing. And there are far superior programs for Windows for managing music and playing it.

I actually got so sick of how bad iTunes was, that when my contract was up, I switched to a Lumia 920. No iTunes, better screen, better sound, way better camera... totally worth it for me.

Only minus is no Grindr app :-P

by Anonymousreply 7101/26/2013

How much are you getting paid by Microsoft, R71/69/68/66/64/61, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 7201/26/2013

If I have Windows Media Center on my computer, will it be included in a Windows 8 upgrade, or are there different versions of Windows 8? I have a touchscreen computer that I rarely use, so it might be a good candidate for Windows 8, but I want to make sure I can still use it for recording TV, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7301/26/2013

R74 Were you replying to me (R73)? Perhaps I should've been clearer: the touchscreen computer DOES have (and has always had) Windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 7501/26/2013

[quote]f I have Windows Media Center on my computer, will it be included in a Windows 8 upgrade, or are there different versions of Windows 8?

If you upgrade from Windows 7, I believe it stays in place. If you do a clean install of Windows 8, you have to install an extra "Windows Media Center" piece... which is currently free, but costs I think $10 after the end of this month. It's pretty much the same. There are no new features or anything.

Check to see if your old hardware is Win8 compatible before upgrading.

by Anonymousreply 7601/26/2013

[quote]No, no, no. You can only upgrade to 8 from 7. If you go from Vista you lose all your programs and have to reinstall them.

The cheap $40 "upgrade" works for XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

If you upgrade Windows 7, it's a clean upgrade, all your windows apps and settings intact.

If you upgrade Vista, you keep all your settings and customizations, but you'll need to reinstall all your apps.

If you upgrade XP, it's pretty much like a new install, though you'll keep your documents.

by Anonymousreply 7701/26/2013

R72 I was wondering the same thing.

I'm still using my 2006 computer running Windows XP and I'm gonna keep using it until it fucking falls apart. I'm in no hurry to get the ugly Windows 8. Hopefully I can make my computer last until the next version of Windows comes out and hopefully by then it will be more user-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 7801/26/2013

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on this thread. Can't we all at least just agree that everything Microsoft creates is crap, and their engineers are largely to blame? That would be a good non-controversial starting point for further discussions.

by Anonymousreply 7901/26/2013

No, R79.

by Anonymousreply 8101/26/2013

The Paid Microsoft Apparatchik Troll® has earned his money today.

Printed out the thread and already has it in the mail to his controller at company HQ in Redmond, WA.

by Anonymousreply 8201/26/2013

Is it worth upgrading if you don't have a touch screen?

by Anonymousreply 8401/26/2013

I don't understand why people still cling to XP. My grandmother is still on XP, and I was cleaning out the mess she made of the desktop over Christmas (I have no idea how she makes so many shortcuts, and she doesn't even know what a shortcut is), it was stunning how utterly deficient and cartoonish looking XP is. I mean, it was great for 2001 - a whole new world compared to 95/98. But compared to XP? It's like seeing those boxy cars from the 90s still on the road. I don't remember them looking bad then, but now?

by Anonymousreply 8501/26/2013

R84 - Maybe. I don't have a touchscreen, but I really prefer 8's file management system over 7's. It is incredibly easy to find documents now, which I described in R7.

I don't bother with the Metro interface that much, which is where, aesthetically, 8 differs from 7. Metro is completely usable without a touchscreen, but is obviously optimized for use with one. If you stay in desktop view, you won't notice many differences from 7.

by Anonymousreply 8601/26/2013

It depends, R84. What computer do you have (what brand, what specs), and what do you do with your PC? What OS are you currently running?

I think it is, but I'm a computer techy type. I'm not adverse to change.

by Anonymousreply 8701/26/2013

R87 Averse, not adverse.

OK, so I decided to go for it. The download went fine, and it gives you the options (if you don't want to instally Windows 8 right away) to either create an ISO file for a DVD or to send the installation information to a flash drive. I chose the latter.

If you want Windows Media Center as an add-on (it doesn't come with Windows 8, and neither does any kind of DVD player), you normally have to buy it for $10; however, there's a deal until 1/31 to get it for free. The catch is that you have to INSTALL it by 1/31 (the product key will expire), so that means you have to install Windows 8 by that date as well. I sent for my free WMC product key; they said it would arrive in 72 hours. I'll let you know what develops.

by Anonymousreply 8801/26/2013

[quote]I don't understand why people still cling to XP.

I still have XP and I'm not clinging to it, it just so happens that my 2006 computer that came with XP is still working just like new, so I have no reason to upgrade, especially after reading about how underwhelming Windows 8 is. I'll switch to a new version of Windows when the time comes for me to buy a new computer or laptop.

by Anonymousreply 8901/26/2013

Jesus fucking Christ, the M$ cunt is almost as bad as the freepers.

Go the fuck away you desperate shill. Datalounge isn't to be used for promoting your shit here, it's in the rules.

And seriously, win8 is SHIT. Nothing you have said can refute that, and your India Tech-Support approach ain't gonna work on the smart fuckers here.

by Anonymousreply 9001/26/2013

Well, I have a Technet subscription but I haven't bothered much about Windows 8 because I'm primarily interested in using it on a Surface tablet - but I'm going to wait for the next iteration of that.

But I have an HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation that is currently configured as a mobile Avid - but I don't use that editing suite anymore and maintaining the Avid installation restricts versions of QuickTime, web browsers, etc. (you have to keep the software envitonment really clean because Avid will blame any errors on the most arcane things...). But it's a nice piece of hardware, great graphics card, 8 GB RAM, 2.80 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, etc. So I'm thinking of rebuilding it as a Windows 8 Pro/Office 2013 Pro machine with Creative Suite.

I ran the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor and there doesn't appear to be any show stoppers. I know the hardware won't utilise all the features of the new OS but I thought it'd be a nice refresher. I already have a proper Windows 7 workstation and an older VAIO that I'm going to rebuild as Win7 when I get around to it.

HP supports an migration to Windows 8 for the EliteBook 8760w but not my 8730w but at least there's some software updates out there. I just don't know if it's worth the trouble. My machine is completely compatible with Windows 7, which I like, so I could just do that. With 8 I'd get IE10, right?

Has anyone run Office 2013 on Windows 7? Is that a full feature set?

by Anonymousreply 9101/26/2013

R90 Thank you for telling the TRUTH! It's obvious some of these posters work for MS by the way they get so angry and furious at anyone who says they think Windows 8 sucks. Otherwise they wouldn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 9201/26/2013

[quote]With 8 I'd get IE10, right?

Yes. But IE10 is being released for Windows 7 next month I think.

[quote]Has anyone run Office 2013 on Windows 7? Is that a full feature set?

I don't believe it's "officially released" until next week? Or maybe first week in February? There's a pre-release version that comes on Surface RT, but I think the big Office 2013 launch is coming soon.

Other than more integration with SkyDrive, and the Online ("Office 360") versions, I'm not sure what advantages it has over Office 2010.

by Anonymousreply 9301/26/2013

There is literally nothing truthful in R90's post, R92.

by Anonymousreply 9401/26/2013

The Office 2013 RTM has been available on Technet since November, I think. I haven't installed it though.

by Anonymousreply 9501/26/2013

R92, it's all one poster who extols the virtues of Windows 8 and all things Microsoft whenever there's a thread about Windows 8 or Surface.

by Anonymousreply 9601/26/2013

Now there's a Office 2013??? Fuck, I'm getting sick of trying to keep up with all these constant "upgrades" of everything (Windows, Office, etc) and having to learn how to use the new versions, not to mention pay for these upgrades. Technology is changing so fast now that it's more hassle than fun now.

And no, I'm not an eldergay. Not even 30.

by Anonymousreply 9701/26/2013

R96? Y'know you don't have to patrol every thread on DL. You can just skip the ones you don't like. There's no law that says interested parties can't have a discussion about Microsoft products.

by Anonymousreply 9801/26/2013

But R98 !

It's so easy and so much fun to get your goat.

Here. Here's your goat back.

Don't ever change.

Have a nice evening.

by Anonymousreply 9901/26/2013

DL is not a marketing tool for M$.

Wtf is going on here?!

by Anonymousreply 10001/26/2013

Say what now, R102?

You think I'm dead?

by Anonymousreply 10301/26/2013

Girls, girls! You're both pretty!

by Anonymousreply 10401/26/2013

My computer runs Win7 and it's already a touchscreen, a feature I've never used. I don't want fingerprints on my desktop screen, much less reach to the screen to do what's much less work to do on the keyboard.

The MS shill can scream "Luddite!" and "Resistant to change!" all he wants, but I have no use for a product on my desktop PC that is built for a tablet or phone. I use the touchscreens on those devices, which Win8 seems to do very well, but on a desktop PC? Nope.

I'll upgrade when I buy a new computer and Win8 is the only thing being offered. That's the only way MS is going to move substantial numbers of this mobile OS that they've jury rigged for desktops and laptops.

by Anonymousreply 10501/27/2013

When I ran the compatibility check program to start the upgrade process, it told me that my current touchscreen (an HP TouchSmart running W7) would work with W8, but that, because it wasn't designed for W8, would not have the same features or responses that a W8 touchscreen would have.

by Anonymousreply 10601/27/2013

Why don't you use a REAL O/S

by Anonymousreply 10701/27/2013

[quote]Now there's a Office 2013??? Fuck, I'm getting sick of trying to keep up with all these constant "upgrades" of everything

Yeah, every three years is SUCH a burden R97(rolling eyes)

by Anonymousreply 10801/27/2013

R106, that might be because Win8 mandates 10 points of multi-touch, but older touch-displays might only have 2 or 5 points of multi-touch.

by Anonymousreply 10901/27/2013

You don't have to "keep up" with constant software upgrades. Utilise the feature set you require; as long as you can accomplish all of your required tasks with your existing feature set you're continuing to realise value from your current software licenses. There's nothing wrong with that. It's what you should do.

Those chasing the "latest and greatest" for the sake of it are being had by the technology industry.

by Anonymousreply 11001/27/2013

R88 here. So I went through the entire process: downloaded and installed W8, got the product key for the free Media Center add-on and installed that. Everything seems to have gone OK. I haven't tried to do much yet. The most confusing thing was trying to figure out how to shut the damn computer down. There's no more START button that pops up the taskbar with the SHUT DOWN option. But I Googled around and figured it out. If you go off the menu screen with all the apps on it and go back to desktop, it doesn't look much different from W7.

by Anonymousreply 11501/27/2013

R115 So when you installed W8, did it automatically move all of your files from your previous version (like your videos, photos, etc)? Do you think it was worth upgrading or not?

by Anonymousreply 11601/27/2013

Yes, it automatically kept all of my files, settings, etc. Some of the programs were identified as not being compatible. I had to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials in order for the upgrade to proceed. (Apparently W8 uses an improved version of Windows Defender in its place.)

As I said, I haven't had much chance to use it. It's on a touchscreen computer that I rarely use-- mostly for recording TV. It did keep all of my recorded shows, as well as the information about which shows to record and the correct TV channel lineup.

by Anonymousreply 11701/27/2013

R115/R117 ... the fastest way to shut down is to press the hardware power button on your PC.

But you don't need to shut down. Just let it go to sleep. See R55.

by Anonymousreply 11801/28/2013

Thanks R115, based on that I'm not going to bother. Just going to stick with Windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 11901/28/2013

R118 I thought you were never supposed to just power off with Windows still running, so I never turn off my computer with the button.

by Anonymousreply 12001/28/2013

R120 that was true ten years or more ago.

But your button is "software" now... again, read R58.

A lot of questions would be answered by reading this entire thread.... you wouldn't need to have googled to find out how to shut down :-)

by Anonymousreply 12101/28/2013

Windows 8 Tip: Buy a Mac

[bold]"Could the best Windows 8 laptop be a Mac?"[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 12201/28/2013

No, the best windows 8 box is a touch-screen convertible.

by Anonymousreply 12301/28/2013

I would not be surprised if DL's resident Microsoft shill writes professionally under the name of Brad Chacos.

by Anonymousreply 12401/28/2013

The tips from the "Microsoft Shill" have actually been helpful to me.

by Anonymousreply 12501/28/2013

r88, thanks for the tip about the Windows Media Center. I mostly use just the Windows Media player (and now, XBox music) so I had no idea that the Media Center didn't come preinstalled with Windows 8.

by Anonymousreply 12601/28/2013

And yes, the Microsoft "Shill" is very knowledgeable and has been extremely helpful to me. I like Windows 8, even though I don't use many features on it. But it has made a noticeable difference in the way my laptop runs and how hot it gets.

by Anonymousreply 12701/28/2013

If you have any questions... don't know how to do something, or can't find something, or think something is taking too many steps or is inconvenient, feel free to ask here. I'm sure your question will get answered.

by Anonymousreply 12801/28/2013

Advice:

Set up a picture-password if you have a touch-screen, or a PIN if you don't. It's much more convenient than having to type in a long login password.

Make sure you set yourself up to login with a Microsoft ID instead of a local account. There are so many benefits to this, it makes no sense to not do it unless you actually don't have any connection to the internet. If you have a GamerTag on XBox360, you already have a microsoft id (formerly called a 'Windows Live Id'). It's just an email address. It can be any email address, but you get a few extra perks if it's a Hotmail/Live.con/Outlook.com email address. But use any old email address you like (gmail, yahoo, ISP POP3 email, doesn't matter). It's easy to convert a local account to a Microsoft ID account, and vice-versa. So you aren't trapped or anything. Just go to control panel, user accounts.

Download and install "Windows Essentials 2012"... this installs SkyDrive integration, photo gallery, Windows Live Mail (a desktop email client), and other useful apps like Windows Movie Maker (for light video editing).

Logging in with a Microsoft ID will tie a bunch of cloud features together with your windows installation... Windows Live Calendar, Contacts, SkyDrive storage, and more. Everything you do will be synced to the cloud. If your computer crashes and you have to completely reinstall, or even get a new computer, all you need to do is log in with your Microsoft ID on the new PC, and all your existing events, contacts, settings, etc., will just "flow" to your new PC. Browser favorites too. If you have multiple PCs running Win8, by logging into each of them with the same Microsoft ID, settings will stay in sync between them automatically (you can turn on/off syncing of specific items as you wish, if you want things like different desktop wall-papers on each machine).

by Anonymousreply 12901/28/2013

R124, you'd be quite wrong. First, I'm no shill. I have not now and never have worked for Microsoft. I don't write columns or articles or blogs. I do write commercial Windows software, but that's about it.

Glad you found something helpful, R125 & R127. Just... please, I'm no shill, so I'd rather than obnoxious nickname didn't stick. :-)

by Anonymousreply 13001/28/2013

R131, as pointed out, that's even MORE inaccurate. I'm not sure what kind of cynically bitter person keeps up with that crap, but it's really stupid, tiring, and pathetic.

If you're not interested in the topic, please feel free to scroll on by.

by Anonymousreply 13201/28/2013

The reason sales have been poor is because they made too many radical changes at one time and a lot of people think the new look is overwhelming. And WTF is with the browser of IE10 being at the bottom of the screen now? It's fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 13301/28/2013

[quote] And WTF is with the browser of IE10 being at the bottom of the screen now? It's fucking stupid

I assume you're referring to the "address bar"... and the position makes sense on a touch-tablet like Surface.

If you're not on a touch-tablet, just use the desktop version.

by Anonymousreply 13401/28/2013

Thought I'd report back. Even though I thought I'd give Windows 8 a miss, before I installed Windows 7, I thought I'd give it a go just to see what it looks like and how it run on my HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation 8730w (esp. since HP isn't officially supporting this model on Windows 8). So I installed it. I don't think I'll be looking back.

The install - and I always recommend a clean upgrade, y'know, back up all your data and write down your e-mail account settings, etc. (it's just a better way to maintain an installation going forward) - well, the install was simple. Put the DVD in, click a few buttons to confirm and walk away for 10 minutes or so. Come back, put in your Microsoft account settings (might be helpful to do this first so you have an existing account - if you don't already - though the install will create one for you). A minute later you're in the OS.

The only problem with this OS, once again, is Microsoft's poor marketing. They're obviously focusing on the touch screen aspects but even without a touch screen there's so much to recommend it. You should find and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor and run that on your existing machine but if you have a good piece of hardware that you've purchased in the last two years - as long as it meets the requirements - you should be fine. I agree with the poster who said they don't want fingerprints on their screen - I'm like that as well. I'm a trained typist so using a keyboard is no big deal for me and you can toggle back and forth between the Start screen the Desktop with complete ease just by touching the Windows key.

Installed Office Professional Plus 2013 as well - simple install, looks great, no problems setting up my e-mail (a leased Exchange account).

Windows 8 Professional looks great, I love the flat, uncluttered design. Looking forward to installing some Apps from the Windows store.

As for drivers, a lot of the drivers that HP wouldn't provide for my laptop were installed during the installation anyway. ALso, if you have Windows 7 drivers for your devices, they install without a problem.

Really looking forward to getting to know more about this OS in the coming days. I am concerned about privacy settings but will research it more - there's already an option to keep your user account and settings local instead of in the "cloud;" I'm sure there are others. I just have to lock it down.

I would recommend this for anyone currently using Windows, especially at the discount price which other posters have said expire soon (two days?). The Desktop is not just like Windows 7; there are a lot of improvements. Any questions, just ask.

by Anonymousreply 13501/29/2013

[quote]and I always recommend a clean upgrade, y'know, back up all your data and write down your e-mail account settings, etc. (it's just a better way to maintain an installation going forward)

I've always done the same in the past, but with this one I'm actually changing my mind a bit. Having done several upgrades and several "clean installs"... the upgrades were so clean, so fast, so complete, without any downside that I could see, I can't imagine not recommending it at this point. Of course, this ONLY applies to people who are already on Win7. If you're upgrading Vista or XP, a clean install is probably for the best.

by Anonymousreply 13601/29/2013

[bold]Microsoft's Windows 8 upgrade discount ends today[/bold]

All good things have to come to an end, and today marks the last opportunity for Windows users to upgrade to Windows 8 at a discounted rate. Since Microsoft's next-generation OS released back in October, a Windows 8 Pro upgrade has been available for $39.99, but from tomorrow onwards the same upgrade will set you back $199.99. If you've been dithering over whether to upgrade, now would be a good time to make a decision.

As well as the $199.99 Windows 8 Pro license, Microsoft is offering a regular Windows 8 upgrade for $119.99. If you decide you want to upgrade to Pro at a later date, it'll set you back $99.99. The final change in Microsoft's pricing structure concerns Media Center. Presently, Windows 8 Pro lets you add Media Center at no additional cost, but from tomorrow onwards those same features will cost $9.99 from the Windows Store. This change doesn't just affect new customers; current Windows 8 Pro users must claim and use their free Media Center key before tomorrow, or pay the same $9.99 fee at a later date.

by Anonymousreply 13701/31/2013

Last day to get it cheap... you can buy it today, and install it any time over the next two years by following the instructions in the OP...

by Anonymousreply 13801/31/2013

Less than 4 hours left on the east cost... 7 hours on the west...

by Anonymousreply 13901/31/2013

As I posted earlier, if you get it today, you probably won't be able to take advantage of the free Media Center add-on. But even if you can't, it's only $10 afterwards, I think.

by Anonymousreply 14001/31/2013

Yeah. But I don't think there are that many people that care about Media Center, or need it. Of course, if you get it today, it's still free. But only a few hours left.

If you follow the instructions in the OP, then you have up to 2 years to actually do the upgrade... so if you even THINK you might upgrade eventually, it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 14101/31/2013

It's like planned obsolescense for cars in the 1950s.

Why the fuck do they make these disruptive changes for no good reason but to make you think you have to spend your money on this shit?

by Anonymousreply 14201/31/2013

R141 Yes, but in order to get it free you have to (1) wait for an e-mail, and (2) install it by today. Which means you have to install W8 first. So there really isn't much time left.

by Anonymousreply 14301/31/2013

The $39 is a waste of money unless you have a machine that´s fairly new.

by Anonymousreply 14401/31/2013

R142, it's not for "no good reason". The desktop form-factor is dying. If MS didn't make a play for the touch-centric, mobile future they'd basically go out of business. They're doing what they have to to survive. Apple's doing the same thing, just approaching things from a different direction (moving iOS features into OS X).

If you want to understand why they're doing what they're doing, all you need to do is watch the video linked at R66.

by Anonymousreply 14501/31/2013

R144, define "fairly new"... any system bought in the last few years should be good.

by Anonymousreply 14601/31/2013

Tablets in the office everywhere...not. I have a tablet at work...but only because it work in IT...I can't be at my desk all the time but need access to my desk. The sales force will get tablets but that's it...and lots of training.

by Anonymousreply 14701/31/2013

More like the last 90 days.

by Anonymousreply 14801/31/2013

R148, Windows 8 has the same basic requirements as Windows 7. It'll actually run faster on the same hardware.

by Anonymousreply 14901/31/2013

I like it. I wish I actually had a Windows 8 smart phone instead of an iPhone 5, then I could sync all my devices under one account. Windows 8 is undoubtedly the best tablet OS out there, I doubt iOS has as much power under the hood. Windows 8 is very well designed and thought out - shame about the marketing.

by Anonymousreply 15001/31/2013

I'm thinking about buying a new computer but have a question for the experts here: how many GB does a computer need to have in order to be considered fast? I don't need something that's crazy fast, just fast enough for working a lot on the Internet (which I do) and saving my screenplays on the hard drive.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 15102/01/2013

[quote] how many GB does a computer need to have in order to be considered fast?

For 32-bit Windows (which these days are only the super-cheap ones), you'll want 4GB.

For 64-bit Windows (which is most every laptop or desktop sold these days), you'll want between 4GB and 8GB (6-8 is becoming the norm in the higher end systems, but 4 is fine for most browsing needs, games, Office, etc.).

The only time you absolutely NEED 8 or more GB is if you do movie editing or a lot of photo shop or database stuff.

For most people, 4 is fine.

That's talking about MEMORY, not storage (HD or SSD). Some people get confused by the difference. Most machines come with more than enough storage for most people, and Windows 8 comes with 7GB of free "SkyDrive" cloud storage (it looks and acts just like another hard drive on your computer), which is expandable if you get certain services (buying Office 360 Home Professional will add 20GB to your SkyDrive, buying a Surface will net you 3GB more), or you can pay for more storage.

If all you do is browsing and word processing, you should be fine with most any computer out there.

And even if you're skeptical, I suggest getting a touch screen. Yes, even for laptops and desktops. You think it'd be a pain, but it's amazing how much you end up using it, because it's just so natural, convenient, and intuitive. Once you start with a touch-screen, you start wishing every screen were a touch-screen.

by Anonymousreply 15202/01/2013

[quote][R142], it's not for "no good reason". The desktop form-factor is dying. If MS didn't make a play for the touch-centric, mobile future they'd basically go out of business. They're doing what they have to to survive. Apple's doing the same thing, just approaching things from a different direction (moving iOS features into OS X). If you want to understand why they're doing what they're doing, all you need to do is watch the video linked at [R66].

This makes me laugh. How exactly is any of this OUR problem? R142 is absolutely spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 15302/01/2013

Your statement doesn't even make any sense (YOUR problem? Huh?)

I'll wager you didn't watch any of the video linked either.

by Anonymousreply 15402/01/2013

[quote]The desktop form-factor is dying.

Oh, please - could you been any more dramatic? Yes, the sales are declining, but there will always been a need for PC's/Laptops, especially in the work environment. It's a lot faster and easier to type and edit with an actual keyboard and mouse than on a touchscreen and it's easier to see what you're doing on a 17" screen when you're doing word processing, creating spreadsheets, editing photos, etc.

by Anonymousreply 15502/01/2013

R155, that's all true, and it all also misses the point.

by Anonymousreply 15602/01/2013

Well, if you didn't get it yesterday, you lose out.

There's still a deal available for Academics and students, but you have to provide proof you're a qualifying teacher/professor/student.

Unless you're running XP, the "upgrade" isn't worth the cost any more. So just get Win8 with a new PC.

by Anonymousreply 15702/01/2013

When sales slow to nothing, it'll come back on sale. Or they'll skip over it like with Windows Vista

by Anonymousreply 15802/02/2013

A quote from a friend who installed it, just FYI:

[quote]"I don't usually gush over anything Microsoft, but while I hate the "start screen" in Windows 8, they mostly left Windows 7 intact. But what's really great is, I just open the laptop's lid and it's ready to use, and I'm now getting 7-8 hours from my battery, whereas I used to get 5 or so hours."

by Anonymousreply 15902/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.