Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Welfare lottery ban proposed in North Carolina

Does the lottery prey on poor people? North Carolina lawmakers say it does and are proposing some reforms.

One proposal is a ban on knowingly selling lottery tickets to people receiving welfare, food stamps, or other public assistance. "We're giving them welfare to help them live, and yet by selling them a ticket, we're taking away their money that is there to provide them the barest of necessities," Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam told the Raleigh News Observer. He said he believes that the lottery attracts many poor people who don't understand the odds.

He added that lottery advertisements boast of massive payouts, but fail to mention that the actual prizes are much smaller after taxes. "What they're talking about is making it a more honest lottery," he told the Observer.

But the proposal isn't sitting well with many people. A major complaint is that the law would place the burden on store vendors to try to figure out whether or not their customers are on welfare. "I don't feel comfortable for somebody ask why or your financial things, so it's not my business," a store clerk told ABC11.

Another proposal would ban the word "education" from the NC Education Lottery to make its advertising more truthful, the Associated Press reported.

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2013

Sounds like more shaming of the poor. It's also more government intrusion.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

What a stupid and unenforceable law.

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

Bet you two are pro-Bloomberg's soda measure though.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

R3 - I'm not. Bloomberg went too far.

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Can the South please secede already?

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

FYI, Stam is a right wing POS leftover from the days of Jesse Helms. They have taken over the legislature and the governorship in NC. Now NC will give Mississippi a run for its money.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

If someone on welfare wins the lottery, they should be required to pay back all of the governmental assistance they received.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

What an idiotic thing to say R7.

Any lottery winner is a huge, immediate boost to the local economy.

by Anonymousreply 801/25/2013

If you are going to ban stupid people from playing because they are on well fair, then you also need to ban anyone that gets a salary from a company that gets Corporate Well fair in the form of "tax breaks"

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

I agree with r7

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

Aren't these yahoos always yammering about government interference in their lives?

"Yeah, we don't want no stinkin goveemunt in our lives exceptin those poor nig, uh, colored folk and them theres white trash."

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

This woman tries to justify why she should still get her monthly $200 EBT amount.....

after winning a cool million in the state lottery.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

Actually R7 and R 10, all Well Fair has to be paid back anytime you receive money. If you go back to work, you actually have to pay it back. inheritance, even if you have a 401K, before you can collect, it gets taken from the top.

It's just that most people on well fair don't usually hit the lottery, have rich uncles or find good jobs. You have to be totally broke before you qualify, cant have a car worth more then 2,000. No savings either. The Gov can randomly check your bank account to see if you are lying.

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2013

gawd, y'all can't even spell "welfare!"

by Anonymousreply 1401/25/2013

Bullshit r13

Now if you get some work, you don't get as much welfare benefit, but you NEVER EVER have to pay back what has already been received.

That's pure NONSENSE

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

If poor people on welfare were prevented from buying lotto tickets, assuming that could even be done, that would drastically reduce the sales.

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

Live in your own Fox News Right Wing Conservative bubble R13. That is why you lost the election.

Facts dont lie,

by Anonymousreply 1701/25/2013

R13 = bitter male frou jealous of people on welfair. How pathetic.

Hey Frou! the 1950's called, don't vote for the colored guy, everyone will be on welfare.

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

If you win $2,000 or more here it is reported to the Dept. of Human Services. One Michigan woman won the lottery and kept receiving food stamps...

by Anonymousreply 1901/25/2013

The lottery is a "voluntary tax" in hopes of winning a fortune that is statistically stacked against them. And if they DO win it is taxed large sum or small. And if large sum at a high % and thet are off wellfare because you can't hide lottery winnings from govnt.

A sum like 2,000 was taxed and is enough to pay monthly expenses not a long term solution or even a year long solution.

More waste of taxpayer money, legislative time, and a headache to small business owners stuck with the burden of enforcing it.

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

So only already well-off people should be able to win large amounts of money by random luck? That doesn't seem lopsided at all.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

Fine! Just have the lottery winner repay the funds they rec'd while on welfare. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

do rich people even buy lottery tickets? is the lottery just a scam to keep the lower classes down? isn't the lottery simply a 'not wealthy' tax?

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2013

It's unenforceable. Unless there's a scarlett PA (public assistance) tattooed on the recipients, how will merchants know not to sell a lottery ticket to the person?

The only option I can think of is to forfeit the winnings of the PA purchaser. Even then, the PA purchaser could have a proxy accept the winnings.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

This is for those who feel raw when someone on government money wins.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

"Unless there's a scarlett PA (public assistance) tattooed on the recipients,"

You know that will be the next suggestion. Then they'd suggest rounding the poor up in camps where they can do forced labor and their organs, hair and skin would be harvested "for the good of society."

"You SHOULD be ashamed to be on welfare. Shame is a great motivator."

I'm sure shame has worked out very well for you. Speaking of which, terror and torture are also great motivators. Just keep pushing that line further and further. After all, the poor need to be punished or how will they ever learn, right Mrs. Pingleton?

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

Yes, yes let's make laws that protect poor folks who are all dumb and "don't understand the odds." They're just like helpless children who can't make any decisions for themselves.

What a moron. "Skippy's" rights should be stripped from him as well since he's on the government dole for his livelihood. He clearly "doesn't understand" the basic freedoms our country guarantees.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

What a callous comment from r26. You're so despicable.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

This country is really at an all time low with the poor-bashing. I live in NC and it's very scary right now.

We have a short legislative session that doesn't start till the spring. They are gonna bring down the gavel quite a few times, I expect, with the assembly's supermajority and our new republican governor.

Our only hope is that said governor has a moderate history as Charlotte's mayor. However, that position held little practical power and might not be a strong predictor of his plans for the state.

NC has been a somewhat liberal enclave (well the urban parts) from the rest of the south, but I fear the next 4 years. This welfare story is the first out of Raleigh since the new reps and governor have been sworn-in.

Not off to a good start.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013

The sad thing is there are more registered Democrats than repukes in NC but the repukes have jerrymandered the fuck out of the state. Even hippy trippy Asheville is now in a new repuke district. Plantation politics is the rule in the south not the exception.

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

there are only 3 billionaires in NC and fewer millionaire than many states, so the fact that we are a red state now is baffling.

I'm starting to think that poor country people are sadist and refuse to vote in their own interest.

Take away my healthcare!

Allow all my crazy redneck neighbors have machine guns!

No condoms or abortions for our 13 year old daughters!

Dont raise taxes on rich people, please balance the federal budget on my back. I'm poor and elderly, I should have to make cuts, not the wealthy!

I am a sadist.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013

R26 you are an idiot. Shame is a religious motivator not a secular one.

Your government intrusion link is equally stupid. Drive a car is a privilege no a right. So by your theory, the government can do whatever they want since you choose to drive.

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2013

I mean, I am a masochistic. punish me and give all the spoils to the connected few.

I am worthless and not deserving of the advocacy of the federal government.

I didn't go to college and now as an adult, I do not deserve the chance to go back to school on a pell grant! rich people should keep that money so that they can more easily oppress me.

I am a masochist.

but I draw the line at my Medicare. KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF OF MY MEDICARE.

p.s., even though my ancestors were us immigrants, I believe all other immigrants are scum and should be deported at once.

and I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman, because my preacher told me so and he talks to god. even though I'm hat, I do not deserve happiness or equality.

I am a teabagging republican angry fuck. And therefore, I am a masochist.

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2013

hat= autocorrect for "gay"

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2013

In ethnic neighborhoods o NYC lottery tickets are bought with Food Stamp debit cards.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2013

[quote]In ethnic neighborhoods o NYC lottery tickets are bought with Food Stamp debit cards.

Which can hopefully be tracked electronically.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2013

As for paying back welfare, a friend's father was on Medicaid for decades. When he died there was a $100,000 insurance policy. The family had to pay back $60,0000.

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2013

"We want work fare, not welfare!"---Jesse Helms commercial, 1996

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2013

I suppose this is a Republican't idea?

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2013

Lotteries take advantage if the poor. Very few affluent people regularly play the lotto. It is a tax on the poor.

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2013

Lotteries are a net drain on society. Every dollar that a poor person spends on the lottery is a dollar that is not being spent on a tangible item; so the money is funneled back to the state.

In Georgia, lottery proceeds fund college tuitions, usually for white affluent, suburban kids. So the poor clods are wasting their dough sending people to college who could already afford it. Only dopes play he lottery.

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.