Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why aren't underweight people harassed like overweight people?

It seems fatties are starting to get the same treatment they gave smokers. The reason given is because there are too many fat kids/adults. Why is that anyone business? They say because it's simply not healthy. If health is such a concern why are they not targeting underwight people? That's not healthy either. (I'm talking underwight. Not anorexic.)

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013

Because harassment doesn't change behavior, that's why.

It just makes people hate the harasser.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

Because they're thin!

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

Underweight people are harassed. In fact, it's much more acceptable to target someone for being underweight because people assume you won't be sensitive about it the way a fat person would be about their weight.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

I was.

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Underweight people have fewer health complications than overweight people, generally. And someone being fat IS partly my business: obesity has had a major detrimental effect on the economy and raises health care costs for everyone, even in a private insurance scheme.

Anyway, people criticize fat people and not skinny people because of social factors. There really is no "logic" behind it. If you go to some countries where obesity is considered beautiful (I have heard of such countries in West Africa), people will tease you for being skinny.

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

No R3. I don't see that. Everything nowadays is about being fat. I do not see underwight people being harassed. It's the fatties. Both are unhealthy. That's all I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

Many a rotund frau in the workplace over the years has gone off about how thin I am. Meanwhile, my weight is right in the zone for my height, perhaps leaning toward the lighter end of that zone but nevertheless.

I would never dream of commenting on someone's body at work. It's unprofessional and can be construed as harassment. But the bitches seem to think they're exempt.

But to answer OP's "weighted" question - fatties get costly diseases such as diabetes at a very high rate. Oh and you too, OP, sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

People are underweight because they choose to be.

Fatties are seen as having no self control.

Choice = powerful.

No Choice = weakling.

Weaklings are the ones who get bullied.

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

Because bullying a smaller person makes you look bad. But only if you're an adult. It makes you look bad as a kid, but kids are to varying degrees oblivious to adult judgement. (Until adult judgement slaps them upside the head, that is).

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

R7, I would never allow myself to get fat. My problem is trying to maintain a healthy weight. I have always been underweight even as child. Thankfully I have never been harassed for it. But i have never looked anorexic either. And I'm not talking about fatties who bitch about thin people. I agree with you there. Fat women bitch about everything. I'm talking about the media. Both are not healthy.

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

If, as you say, you're not talking about anorexic, then what serious health issues do you connect with being underweight?

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

thin and beautiful people face discrimination daily. It can be quite difficult to be gorgeous and talented.

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2013

With the growing concern over the dangers of obesity, it's hard to imagine that being thin could also pose health risks. But people who are underweight may be vulnerable to equally serious medical issues.

Weakened Immune System Underweight individuals often have fragile immune systems, putting them at risk of contracting infections and viruses. They may also feel weak and experience chronic fatigue.

Failing to consume food with the proper nutrients can cause lasting damage to the bones. Osteoporosis, which is linked to insufficient amounts of calcium in the diet, is a condition that causes the bones to become weak and brittle. Underweight people are at risk for developing osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation

Often, being underweight can make you feel self-conscious and lower your self-esteem. Additionally, you may be malnourished, which can increase your risk of, bone fractures, digestive failure, respiratory failure, compromised immune function and cancer.

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

The media never calls out Angelina Jolie or Victoria Beckham for being too skinny. They heap compliments and praise on them. Angelina has looked hideous for about six years.

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

I've always been thin, but I have never understood the intolerance for overweight people. Why can't we love people of all sizes equally. Some of the overweight people I know are the most down to earth, real, and honest people I know. There are some that are whiney assholes, too. But most are really cool.

by Anonymousreply 1701/25/2013

Scrawny men look disgusting IMO. Underweight women only look good if they retain some curves. Anyone who is skin and bones, straight up and down with no muscle tone just looks awful. I don't think adults should be mistaken for ten year olds. I have never or would ever tell someone that their body looks bad. I keep my unwanted opinion to myself.

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

Skinny people are usually the bitchiest, uptight and self absorbed. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 1901/25/2013

r19 is judging!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2001/25/2013

Thin people don't take up more than their share of space - particularly on flights and public transit. People appreciate that.

Thin people don't have that constant funky smell, like sour sweat. And they don't have to wear gobs of noxious perfume or cologne to hide it like some fat people do.

Rarely do you get stuck behind some lumbering sloth who is thin, but it's common to get trapped following some waddling obese person who blocks walkways and stairs.

Generally, thin people don't roll around supermarkets in electric scooters.

by Anonymousreply 2101/25/2013

Skinny people break easily

by Anonymousreply 2201/25/2013

What r21 said.

by Anonymousreply 2301/25/2013

R11, It's very easy to say you would "never allow" yourself to get fat when you have a tendency to be thin. You have no clue.

by Anonymousreply 2401/25/2013

That's convoluted thinking R11. It's like a fat person saying "oh I work on loosing a few extra pounds, but I would never let myself get anorexic like those skinny people do.

by Anonymousreply 2501/25/2013

Really thin guys do get picked on - a lot. They get pushed around and aren't taken seriously.

I suspect it's the same with women.

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

Actually people who are well nourished but under weight (not anorexic) tend to live the longest. There is quite a large literature on this in the health sciences. Same is true of many animal models in research.

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

R27, are you talking about those extreme diet people that try to live on 500 calories a day to extend their life expectancy ? That theory has been debunked in a long term study just out last year.

by Anonymousreply 2801/25/2013

In the midwest I'm constantly harassed for being "so thin" by fat people who could all stand to shed at least 50lbs minimum. In NYC and LA, no one bothers me about it because most of them are healthy weights, too.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

Actually it's not true charlie. It is true of rats, but with humans being slightly overweight is a survival advantage and is reflected in all the health statistics.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!