Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Report: Burt Reynolds in ICU at Florida Hospital

FLORIDA (CNN) — Actor Burt Reynolds is in intensive care in a Florida hospital, where he went for treatment of flu symptoms, one of his representatives said Friday.

Reynolds was dehydrated when he went to the hospital, and was eventually transferred to its intensive care unit, his representative Erik Kritzer told CNN. Kritzer declined to say what hospital the actor was in, saying, “He would like that (kept) private.”

“He is doing better at this time,” Kritzer said late Friday afternoon. “We expect, as soon as he gets more fluids, he will be back in a regular room.”

Reynolds got his start in Hollywood in the late 1950s, and went on to star in a number of TV series including “Gunsmoke” and in movies, including the “Cannonball Run” and “Smokey and the Bandit” series. According to IMDB (Internet Movie Database), the Georgia-born Reynolds is 76 years old.

by Anonymousreply 13701/31/2013

No. The flu this season is wicked.

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

He looks embalmed already.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

Did Sally Field call him to wish him well?

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Fuck off and die, r1.

What is up with all the nasty AIDS trolls on this site. Why isn't the webmaster banning these assholes. Why is bigotry against AIDS patients allowed here?

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

Agreed r5. Sick of these posters. One person even said Obama has POZ face. Just shut up already.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

I agree for the most part, R5. But in this case, at least, the Burt Reynolds AIDS rumors actually were a major gossip point at the time R1 describes.

There are insensitive and divisive posters here using AIDS talk as a cheap laugh, a weapon, and an insult. But R1 wasn't representing that group.

In general, there is a group of trolls who are playing the "gay doesn't really exist and gay culture and community do not exist because we don't care" game. They are especially nasty and I do wish the webmistress would recognize what is unacceptable here - fundamental homophobia in action, whether from straight haters or in-house homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 801/25/2013

That was huge story back when I was a kid...that Reynolds had AIDS.

All over the tabloids and he looked awful (at the time).

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

Hard to believe he was once the world's biggest movie star. Yes, he was f'ing, f'me sexy in 'Deliverance', but then he started to take on those red-neck roles, and turned down parts like Jack Nicholson's paet in "Terms Of Endearment",and eventually became such an angry, waxy mess.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

Burt was injured very badly on the set of a movie he did with Clint Eastwood and Irene Cara. He was hit with what supposed to be a fake chair, but was real. His jaw was badly broken and he was reclused for a while. When he recovered, he had lost a good deal of weight, causing the AIDS rumors.

Joan Rivers escalated the rumors on the Tonight show, causing a rift between them (Burt was actually good friends with Joan) and supposedly pissing off Carson, who was also friends with Burt.

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

The end is near.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

I give him a week. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 1401/25/2013

Who was that ridiculous blond woman he was with for a while? Some outlandish television actress from WKRP Cincinnati or something?

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

RE 15 Hello ????

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

DAMN!!! This could swing some votes to Sally Field.

by Anonymousreply 1701/25/2013

[quote]DaleThat was huge story back when I was a kid...that Reynolds had AIDS.

All over the tabloids and he looked awful (at the time).

He did not have AIDS, he had terrible TMJ. He used to lay in the dark and couldn't eat b/c the pain headaches were so bad. He finally had his teeth recapped and some other work done by a competent dentist.

This can happen. I have a congenital deformity of the jaw that has caused osteoarthritis and TMJ - so does my brother. I used to headaches so bad, I would be out of school or work for a week.

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

Say what you will about Burt, but he made three or four really great movies. I loved "Deliverance" and could watch it once a week. Great movie. I loved "Sharky's Machine" in the early '80s (a loose semi-remake of 1944's "Laura"), and "Boogie Nights", just a terrific ensemble piece. Burt rocked in all three of those. As a guilty pleasure, I always loved the first "Smokey & The Bandit". Burt was smokin' hot back in the day, toupee or not. R15, Yes Burt was with Loni Anderson from WKRP for quite a few years and supposedly treated her like shit, just like he did with Sally Field and Judy Carne. As an aside, WKRP was one of my favorite TV shows ever and I loved Loni on it.

by Anonymousreply 1901/25/2013

R19, he also was a sexy talk show (specifically Johnny Carson) guest.

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

[quote]Hard to believe he was once the world's biggest movie star.

He's almost completely forgotten today, but you're right.

I remember an Academy Awards ceremony where Letterman or Steve Martin poked fun at the fact that Mickey Rooney, formerly the biggest box office draw in the world, was seated far, far in the back.

There wasn't a lot of laughter.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

He was good in Starting Over.

He was not nominated but leading ladies Jill Clayburgh and Candy Bergen were in lead and supporting, respectively.

The next time Burt hosted SNL they used that as a joke (both Jill and Candy had hosted) and Burt went along with the joke.

I used to wish he was my dad.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

Has he even had a hit since Boogie Nights from '97?

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

In the 70s, Burt was the #1 box office attraction IN THE WORLD, and considered the sexiest man alive. Plus he dated America's sweethearts, Sally Field and Dinah Shore (a much older woman).

Burt was in on all the jokes - he even was the first male nude centerfold, in Cosmopolitan magazine.

Then he became a parody of himself. How the mighty have fallen. Even when he got an Oscar nomination for "Boogie Nights" he was bitter about Hollywood and his career.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

Loni still looks good considering she is pushing 70!

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2013

I don't understand why his movie "Cop and a Half" got such bad reviews. It was a fun, silly comedy. I liked it when it came out when I was a kid and I still like it whenever they air it now.

I never did like that stupid "Evening Shade" show. I always thought it was boring, but again, I was just a kid when it aired.

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

How did he become so broke??

The bank is kicking him out of his house in Florida (which the bank says is now a total wreck and might have to be demolished), he has umpteen liens and creditors if the printed media is to be believed. Jesus, he was the highest paid actor for something like 5 years in a row at his height.

Did his exwife take the money and run?

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

RE 26 - good ? Hair too long, and too blonde , for her age, frozen face, overly collegened lips.....need I go on ? She only looks good if you live in Beverly Hills - than, she looks normal, along with Taylor Armstrong, Adrianne Maloof, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

Haven't heard about Burt since 'Boogie Nights'.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013

He should've won the Academy Award for Starting Over. Not to mention Deliverance. That Academy is just jealous. You put Mr. Sir Lawrence Olivier in Cannonball Run and see what HE can do!

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

I can't believe he wsa almost the age I am now (49) 30 years ago when I was a 19 year old. I must've thought he was a hot daddy back then.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013

He was a beautiful, gorgeous man. I hope he recovers quick.

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2013

What's on his Ipod?

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2013

Dueling Harps, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2013

Didn't he end up addressing the AIDS rumors because he felt it was affecting his ability to get jobs?

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2013

He did a wonderful, quirky British indie film a couple of years ago called A BUNCH OF AMATEURS. He plays a washed up Hollywood action hero who gets a what he thinks is a gig with the RSC to play LEAR, but is really with an amateur dramatic group in the small town of Stratford Saint something or other....it is actually very fun, and he is charming in it, as he was as the mayor in MYSTERY ALASKA.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2013

R29, we are talking about actors, so duh, yes she looks good for Hollywood. Not your grand mother.

If you know anything about her, she always had that over the top look.

And the best plastic sergery money could buy. She could have ended up like this:

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2013

Burt had his issues (anger, etc.), but he was very gay friendly. He had a lot of gay friends and was very tolerant of us. I worked on two of his movies (crew) in the 70s and he knew I was as gay as Dorothy but he always treated me with respect. I even confessed to him that I had a huge crush on him and he laughed it off and said he was grateful for his fans and friends, no matter who they were. Was very courteous and charming. Great sense of humor too. I really liked him. One of the nicer stars I ever dealt with. I wish him a speedy recovery.

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2013

R41 That's nice to hear. I always figured he was gay-friendly. I remember him on Graham Norton years ago joking that Graham had a purty mouth when they were talking about Deliverance. He seems like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2013

I loved Evening Shade. I'm going to put it on my Netflix cue before he dies and it ends up long wait.

by Anonymousreply 4301/26/2013

He had to have been somewhat gay-friendly to have worked with Michael Jeter in "Evening Shade." How come that series is never in syndication?

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2013

R43 "Evening Shade" isn't on Netflix, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2013

Funny I just put it on my queue.

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2013

R37, we understand now the secret of both your "health" and your meanness.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2013

R46 Is it really? When I was looking for it last year, they didn't have it.

Now I'm going to add it!

by Anonymousreply 4901/26/2013

I love Burt. I hope he recovers soon.

That's all I want to write.

by Anonymousreply 5101/26/2013

I always liked Burt and thought he was sexy as hell (back in the day, of course). Very under-rated actor, too. I know the reason he has been under-rated is because he made far more bad movies than good. Look at his Rotten Tomatoes page for an example. Probably 100 poorly rated movies. He was great in Deliverance, The Longest Yard, Mel Brooks' Silent Movie (totally parodied his image, hilarious), Smokey & The Bandit, The End, Starting Over, Sharky's Machine (a previous poster mentioned Sharky's Machine, I had forgotten completely about that one. Very good one. He directed it too, I believe), Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (a guilty please, plus it had DOLLY), and years later, Boogie Nights (one of his best performances). I loved when he would host The Tonight Show in the '70s. He could have carried his own talk show if he had desired.

by Anonymousreply 5201/26/2013

I'm with you, R50. It seems like just yesterday that he was Hollywood's cock of the walk (in more ways than one). I hate seeing the great ones from the sixties, seventies and eighties kicking off. Makes me feel like I'm even more 'eldergay' than I am.

by Anonymousreply 5301/26/2013

I think the sexiest he ever looked was in the first Smokey & The Bandit. He looked smoldering hot in that red shirt, tight jeans with the great bulge, boots and the cowboy hat. He was already in his early 40's at that point, but I think that was his peak of sexiness (even though he wore a toupee and I read that his bulge was actually padding sewn into a pocket inside the front of the pants). He was also sexy as fuck in Deliverance. He wasn't wearing his rug in that one and looked F-I-N-E with the receding hairline. I think I'm gonna go watch "Deliverance" right now. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 5401/26/2013

I wish he had done fewer of those light-weight "good ole boy" comedies. I'm sure he saw dollar signs and those movies did rake in the bucks (until the early 1980s). If he had done fewer of those and more dramas, action films and a few 'serious art house films', he would be regarded as one of the all-time greats today. I'm sure he's had more than a few regrets about the quality of his film career, but at least he was in a few true classics.

by Anonymousreply 5501/26/2013

I love him, too.

by Anonymousreply 5601/26/2013

More people that confuse popularity with quality. Burt was no 1 in the 1970s, but he was also one of the worst actors in shitty movies.

RI P you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5701/26/2013

Prior to his health issues in the mid-1980's, Burt Reynolds was one of the sexiest men who ever strutted this earth. Jesus H. Christ, that beatiful hairy chest, that gorgeous ass, those perfect legs, that godlike face. The mustache (much like Tom Selleck's) only added to his sex appeal. I always loved his sense of humor (though he seems to have lost much of that over the years. Seems slightly bitter in more recent interviews. Possible due to his health issues).

by Anonymousreply 5801/26/2013

Yes, he was a sexy one!!! Seethed sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 5901/26/2013

I find it hilarious that when I was 18 or 20 years old in the late 1970's, Burt Reynolds was my ideal man. So fucking sexy. I look at 18 to 20 year old gays today and they idolize that girly Justin Bieber, that goofy Taylor Lautner and that scrawny Harry Styles geek. Boy, times have changed. Most of the younger guys probably think Burt was gross because he weighed over 100 pounds and had (gasp!) body hair.

by Anonymousreply 6001/26/2013

Apparently, his biggest career disappointment was losing the role of Sonny (the James Caan role) in The Godfather. He could have been great in that...he even resembled a younger Marlon Brando at that time.

I can't help but think that posing for Cosmo just as he was becoming an international movie star knocked him out of consideration for serious roles with important directors of the era.

by Anonymousreply 6101/26/2013

I remember Sally was asked if he was gay she didn't say no..

by Anonymousreply 6201/26/2013

[quote]Burt had his issues (anger, etc.), but he was very gay friendly. He had a lot of gay friends and was very tolerant of us

Tolerant? I hate that expression. It makes it seem like he "put up " with gays. Burt has and had many gay friends which he loves. Believe it or not one of his closet friends was Charles Nelson Reilly.

by Anonymousreply 6301/26/2013

He does not come off well in Loni's autobiography, "My Life In High Heels"...she describes him as being pretty self-absorbed and basically dumping her for that tacky "hostess" in Florida...I did hear from a friend who was connected to Carson that by the 90s Burt had developed severe depression issues and was medicated all over the place...on top of that the painkillers and the Halcion just pushed him into Neely O'Hara territory.

by Anonymousreply 6401/26/2013

[quote]Believe it or not one of his closet friends was Charles Nelson Reilly.

LOL! I hope that was intentional and not a typo!

by Anonymousreply 6501/26/2013

R62, in an interview she gave in Playboy she said that she would not let her son maintain contact with him. Is this the son who ended up gay, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 6601/26/2013

R63, This is R41. "Tolerant" was a poor choice of words on my part. Sorry if I offended. I see your point. Note: Yes, Charles Nelson Reilly was one of his dearest friends.

by Anonymousreply 6701/26/2013

Always loved Burt. Like a couple of other people have said, I wish he had made more good movies than he did.

by Anonymousreply 6801/26/2013

I would have gnawed the skidmarks out of his Fruit of the Looms.

by Anonymousreply 6901/26/2013

For the edification of R65:

by Anonymousreply 7001/26/2013

to R70:

R65 doesn't need any edification. Please reread the sentence I quoted and pay close attention to the word that immediately precedes "friends."

by Anonymousreply 7101/26/2013

Aids?

by Anonymousreply 7201/26/2013

He was born in 1936! It's not uncommon to be hospitalized for the flu at that age.

by Anonymousreply 7301/26/2013

By the way, he's feeling better.

by Anonymousreply 7401/26/2013

Oh thank God!!

by Anonymousreply 7501/26/2013

a low potasium level is a life threatening condition.

by Anonymousreply 7601/26/2013

Picture of Quinton at the bottom of this French interview.

by Anonymousreply 7701/27/2013

r63

I bet your mother PUT UP with you. You sound like the kind of person who at best is only tolerated by society.

by Anonymousreply 7801/27/2013

I swear I saw him give a guy a kiss on the Carol Burnett Show but can't find documentation.

every minute we're alive is a gift, I hope he feels love at this point in his life

by Anonymousreply 7901/27/2013

Weren't he and Dom DeLuise fuck buddies in the 70s? Kept a pad in West Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 8001/27/2013

Burt & Loni cheated on each other multiple times.

Wasn't even a secret.

by Anonymousreply 8201/27/2013

I still think he is gay. Dom DeLuise and Charles Nelson Reilly were his best friends.

by Anonymousreply 8301/27/2013

If it's not a secret, is it cheating, R82?

by Anonymousreply 8401/27/2013

He wore a wig in Deliverance. It was just a different wig.

by Anonymousreply 8501/27/2013

Burt was sex on a stick. There's a Playgirl cover that's just a headshot of him smiling with a cigar--the only time I got hard and wanting to jack off just by looking at a man's face.

by Anonymousreply 8601/27/2013

He has always made my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 8701/27/2013

"Very under-rated actor, too"

That's what they said for 20 years. He was only good in Deliverance and Starting Over. The rest was shit.

He and his agent had the absolute worst taste in scripts -- he could have done anything from 1975 to 1978 because of his popularity. And what did he do? Shit. Then complained. Then made fun of DeNiro's acting style.

by Anonymousreply 8801/27/2013

I loved the "Deliverance II" sketch Burt did on the original Saturday Night Live. It was in the final season with the original cast (circa early 1980). Burt LOOKED FUCKING AMAZING! At the end of the sketch, Burt and the guys he's boating with end up having a huge orgy in their tent (while the Village People's Macho Man plays). Hilarious. Not to mention... FUCKING HOT!!!

by Anonymousreply 8901/27/2013

There were rumours in the '80s that Burt and Tom Selleck had a long hot fling. I doubt it's true, but it makes for a hot fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 9001/27/2013

I never understood why he didn't have the career that Clint Eastwood or the other guys had. He had the star power at the time but I think it went to his head, he was stuck in 1977 and refused to grow out of it.

by Anonymousreply 9101/27/2013

Everything R91 says is true, but Clooney went the same direction with his Oceans movies (which were just as big a grab-ass vanity project as Smokey and the Bandit), but Clooney has managed to hold it together, and Burt became a joke. Why?

by Anonymousreply 9201/27/2013

Clooney was smart because he went behind the scenes and directed and produced his movies like Clint and Redford. I guess Burt was too dumb for that. I just sense a lot of bitterness from him.

by Anonymousreply 9301/27/2013

I remember the night that one aired, R89. I remember swiping a blank videocassette (they were very expensive at the time) from my dad's "media room" to record the show because Burt was on it. I sure didn't regret it once that sketch came on. It drove my 14 year-old libido into overdrive. Even though I knew a crew member was moving the walls of the tent and moaning and Burt was backstage changing for the next skit, it was still boner inducing. And yes, Burt did look amazing that night.Tomm

by Anonymousreply 9401/27/2013

R85 Shit, dude. He could have worn one of Dolly Parton's fucking wigs and I eould have still tapped that shit.

by Anonymousreply 9501/27/2013

R89 Every skit Burt appeared in on that episode of SNL was extremely homoerotic. Do you remember his monologue where he invited the cute guy on stage with him? He sat on the edge of the stage with his arm over the guy's shoulder. At one point he asked the young guy, "You married?" The guy said, "No". Burt replied, "You fool around?" I almost came in my jeans. Burt was all over that guy like a cheap suit.

by Anonymousreply 9601/27/2013

If I remember correctly, R96, that S.N.L. episode with Burt also included one of the all-time grossest skits, "The Vomitorium". Funny, but sick.

by Anonymousreply 9701/27/2013

R90, I remember reading about Burt and Selleck in one of the gossip rags in the mid-80s. I think it was The Enquirer. I remember thinking if it was true I would love to walk in on one of their daliances.

by Anonymousreply 9801/27/2013

R98, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 9901/27/2013

I loved that Deliverance II sketch. Hysterical and hot at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 10001/27/2013

Agreed, R96. There was a lot of homoeroticism on that Burt hosted SNL. Remember the fake commercial for "The Burt Book"? It was a bio/picture book for "lonely women". At the end the voiceover said, "The Burt Book. Not necessarily for women only." I laughed because that's what I always thought about him ("not necessarily for women only").

by Anonymousreply 10101/27/2013

Why isn't that SNL Deliverance sketch on line anywhere????

by Anonymousreply 10201/27/2013

Though Burt was perhaps the most popular male film star of the 1970s, the important directors of the era like Scorsese, Coppola, de Palma, et. al. wouldn't have cast Burt if he was willing to work for free.

His reputation and image were ruined by too many comical TV talk show appearances, which were ironically also what made him so hugely appealing to the general public.

Contrary to r88's and other's claims, I don't think Burt was ever considered for prestige film projects in the 1970s.

Clooney may have done those Ocean films, but remember they were directed by Soderbergh and cast with the cream of the younger Hollywood acting pool....hardly comparable to Smokey and the Bandit.

by Anonymousreply 10301/27/2013

He used to knock his women around-Sally Field, Loni, Judy Carne and gorgeous Inger Stevens, who wound up dead while dating Burt. She had bruises on her face and wrist when she was found and Burt admitted hitting her the night she died. Some people think he killed her. Didn't it also seem like Dinah was a beard????????? I always thought major closet case, who dated these women to prove he was straight. Today he's a joke-with his wig, contacts, false teeth, face-lifts, fanny tucks etc. He did look his best in the late60s-early 70s. Very handsome in that period.

by Anonymousreply 10401/27/2013

R102 The Deliverance sketch is on Hulu. I watched it this morning after reading how "Hot" it was.

Watch it and see how hot it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 10501/27/2013

He has a hairy arse.

by Anonymousreply 10601/27/2013

R104, you neglected to point out that Judy Carne turned into a lesbian after her marriage to Burt.

by Anonymousreply 10701/27/2013

Liza had a brief affair with him during the making of Lucky Lady. She was married to Jack Haley,jr. at the time and told him that it was her half sister Lorna Luft who was seeing Burt.

by Anonymousreply 10801/27/2013

"I don't think Burt was ever considered for prestige film projects in the 1970s."

He was considered for Michael Corleone, but Brando refused to act alongside him. Hitchcock also wanted him for FAMILY PLOT. Then of course he was offered Jack Nicholson's role in TERMS, which he declined. Burt was loyal to his friends, that was his biggest problem. And it caused him to lose out on several high profile roles.

As the number one box office star in the country, it's ludicrous to think that he wasn't going to be attached to many films.

"Clooney may have done those Ocean films, but remember they were directed by Soderbergh and cast with the cream of the younger Hollywood acting pool...."

LOL. Hardly. None of those men were under thirty five when they did it. And aging Julia Roberts??

by Anonymousreply 10901/27/2013

He dated Chris Evert for five minutes in the mid-70s.

by Anonymousreply 11001/27/2013

R108 - you have that backwards. It was Lorna.

by Anonymousreply 11101/27/2013

R109, I never believed any of that because Burt was such a liar. Michael Corleone? That's an absurd lie.

by Anonymousreply 11201/27/2013

R108 There is an interview in ...12 !! parts on youtube with Liza and Lorna. Liza says in the first segment maybe second that she was having an affair with a darling man Burt Reynolds and told her husband it was Lorna. I do remember that Lorna and Burt was linked together.. maybe he did them both.

by Anonymousreply 11301/27/2013

Doing either of them is nothing to be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 11401/27/2013

I found a photo of Burt presenting. It's from the 1972 paperback [bold]BURT REYNOLDS - Hotline: The Letters I Get... and Write[/bold] and contains several interesting pages of beefcake photos.

When I was ten, my mother bought a copy at the corner drugstore (which I of course read) and like the title implies, it's a compilation of endearingly saucy if not outright salacious fan mail from early 70s flyover women [italic]and[/italic]a few men. This site link also has the rest of the photos from the book with a few sample pages of several letters that are in the book. Here are two that I found amusing.

[quote]My dear Mr. Reynolds,

[quote]I am sure you receive hundreds of fan letters daily. However, I assume my letter is unique in that I am a gay male. I hope this doesn't turn you off. I can think of no one who is more deserving of all the recognition you have been getting. Brother, you really turn me on! I would give anything for one hour with you. Please answer. Yours for the asking.

[quote]+++++++++++++++++++R.D., Normal, ILL.

[italic]Dear R.D.:

A fan is a fan is a friend no matter what current he/she/ it operates on, AC or DC. Thanks for being one of mine.[/italic]

[quote]Hi, Sensuous Man!

[quote]Here's the situation: I am receptionist/secretary for the Kentucky State Department of ________ and about a month ago I wrote you a very warm letter. I sort of hinted at the good time you could expect if you ever came to Frankfort and looked me up. I also enclosed a snapshot of myself so you could see just who you'd be getting into, if you'll pardon my Swahili. You'll have to admit I got some points going for me.

[quote]Knowing what a red-blooded hunk of stud you are, I thought sure you'd be taking me right up on my invitation. Every day for the last month when I come back from lunch I ask my relief, "Did Burt Reynolds call while I was out?" The answer is always "No&mdash much to my embarrassment. What would a girl have to have to get a rise out of you? (Again pardon my Swahili!) Okay, you don't have to pay me a visit. But can't you least give a girl a call so she can get rid of her red face?

[quote]+++++++++++++++++HOT-FOR-BURT BEVERLY

[italic]Dear Hot:

The problem, dear Bev, is that I might not be "up" to you. (Yes, I too speak Swahili.) You're probably more girl than I could [/italic]handle. [italic]You do indeed have some points going for you&mdashtwo of them are nothing short of outstanding. I mustn't call. I wouldn't do anything to "get rid" of that pretty face, no matter what color it is.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11501/27/2013

He's exhibit A for why some actors need the studio system. He needed a Louie B Mayer to manage his career, pick his roles, handle his PR, clean up his messes, keep him out of Cosmo, and make sure his income taxes got paid.

I've always thought he was hiding something, maybe something very serious, concerning the "suicide" of Inger Stevens:

by Anonymousreply 11601/28/2013

I always felt he had a huge chip on his shoulder. Public loved him but he did not know how to navigate middle age and health issues are horrible. Show business can be mean. I keep wondering when Tom Cruise will no longer be supported by studios and what he will do as his Plan B.

by Anonymousreply 11701/28/2013

I remember when he was asked if he got upset about not getting an Oscar nomination, he said, "I'm the number one box office star in America, that is my award."

He's great.

by Anonymousreply 11801/28/2013

Burt is so gay he may as well have it tattooed on his forehead. Who were his inner most circle of friends? He "dated" Dinah. He Married Judy Carne, a lesbian. He had a long term relationship with Sally Field, who went on to breed with a gay man who exited the closet to end their marriage. His "Loni" thing was all about publicity and financial security for her. He had a terrible relationship with his much older father who was never proud or pleased by his fame. There are at least 5 other connections, but you get the point. I live about 5 minutes from him in FL. Everyone loves him here, but absolutely no one thinks he's straight. He is very ill, and will be gone soon. ARC.

by Anonymousreply 11901/28/2013

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 12001/28/2013

Saddles, LA bar. Anyone remember it? See him there?

by Anonymousreply 12101/28/2013

Wasn't one of his pals R. Urich?

by Anonymousreply 12201/28/2013

There should be a Chris Ever thread about how she was such a big slut.

by Anonymousreply 12301/28/2013

Burt always pinged for me, big time. I never once thought he was heterosexual. What others have said about Dinah was true... Beard! I never bought Burt and Sally as a couple either. Pure publicity. The Loni thing? I agree with the previous poster. It was for her financial security and their mutual publicity. Amazing, for such a ladies man that he never fathered a child with any of them. All of his friends were either gay or rumored to be. I think the truth will "come out" one day.

by Anonymousreply 12401/28/2013

Didn't he father Quentin with loni? Still think he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 12501/28/2013

R125 - No, the child was adopted.

by Anonymousreply 12601/28/2013

Yes, Burt pinged for me as well. I wonder what the gossip is about that.

by Anonymousreply 12701/28/2013

The "Burt" episode of "Golden Girls" is on WE right now.

by Anonymousreply 12801/30/2013

Golly gee. Maybe someday he'll be brave and courageous like me after 60 Years in the closet and marry just like me. After all the heavy lifting for equal rights is done.

Goober says hey!

by Anonymousreply 12901/30/2013

I agree with r24. He never "pinged" as hetero for me, not at all. Why the rumors of abuse/violence? Why no kids of his own, no stable marriage? Why pals who are rumored to be pals of Dorothy?

by Anonymousreply 13001/31/2013

Never thought he was sexy. And never thought he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 13101/31/2013

Oh, the stories I could tell. The stories I could tell...

But, I'm dead, so I can't say anything.

by Anonymousreply 13201/31/2013

Ho.Mo.Sex.Ual.

by Anonymousreply 13301/31/2013

I don't think he was gay. Gay friendly, but not gay.

He always wanted to be taken seriously as an actor, but he was always doing things to fuck it up. Around the time of "Deliverance" is when he did the nude Cosmo centerfold, which may have ruined his chances for an Oscar nomination. He did a controversial interview in Playboy magazine where he fumed about how guys like Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino and Robert DiNiro get all the Oscars. In the interview he said he could the same movies that they did and be just as good, or better. That didn't help him, either.

Those stupid Smokey and the Bandit movies cemented his image as a superficial actor who could only do lightweight roles.

It broke his heart when Robin Williams won the Academy Award instead of him. He was on Inside the Actor's Studio and when James Lipton asked him "If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?" he answered "you should have won."

by Anonymousreply 13401/31/2013

He was probably at his best in "Deliverance."

No one has mentioned "The Longest Yard." That was a good movie! The role suited him very well (he played Paul Crew, a self-centered former football player) and he gave a very good performance.

by Anonymousreply 13501/31/2013

Any update on his hair?

by Anonymousreply 13601/31/2013

R136, Hi, Loni. The hair washed down the drain decades ago. You mean to tell me that, after the divorce, you didn't get visitation rights with the wigs? Girl, you should have gotten yourself a better lawyer. My hair, incidentally, is all my own.

by Anonymousreply 13701/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.