Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kevin Spacey stars in ‘House of Cards'

Kevin Spacey stars in ‘House of Cards,’ a political thriller that starts Feb. 1

By Emily Yahr, Friday, January 25, 10:57 AM

There are a lot of locals with high hopes for the new political thriller “House of Cards,” given that the Washington-themed show is likely to become the largest production ever filmed in Maryland. And there are a lot of people outside the Beltway who are just as interested in how the series fares: Its success might alter the concept of traditional television programming.

It’s safe to say that the entire TV industry will carefully track the launch of the show, which premieres on Netflix on Friday. The online subscription service behemoth has dabbled in original content before, but it’s hoping to make a big splash with its first major original series. Filmed around the Baltimore area and based on the 1990 BBC miniseries of the same name, about a devious politician clawing his way up the ladder, the project has big names attached, including director David Fincher (“The Social Network”), writer Beau Willimon (“The Ides of March”) and two-time Academy Award-winning actor Kevin Spacey. Netflix reportedly paid around $100 million to land the project.

by Anonymousreply 4603/05/2014

The BBC stuff is classic... don't know if it will transpose or not. Done well, could be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

I couldn't possibly comment on what I think of the new series.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2013

Sounds good.

Will Kevy get fucked by a twink ? Oh wait....this is fiction.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2013

More excited for Hemlock Grove which I think premieres next month

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

It's airing only on DirecTV, which means it will get no audience.

Trust me, I know....

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

So, who watched? I saw the first two episodes (the entire first season is available already). It's going to be difficult to avoid spoilers since everyone will be at different points of the progression of the season. But I was definitely impressed by the two episodes I saw and will be checking out the rest of the season shortly. NPR has a joint review of this and "The Americans" and said they are both better than any new series on broadcast television. And they likened "HoC"'s impact on Netflix to "The Sopranos" on HBO and "Mad Men" on AMC.

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2013

Spacey is fine, but Robin Wright is no Diane Fletcher who played Richardson's deliciously venal wife. The Brits do political intrigue so much better than Americans. I, Claudius is another example.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2013

Question: If Netflix really wanted to make a mark with House of Cards, why are they debuting HoC on Super Bowl weekend? That's the worst time to debut a new show since most people will be running errands on Saturday and watching the Super Bowl on Sunday. After all, Netflix did pay 100 million dollars for HoC. Why waste its debut on a weekend where most people will be watching TV not steaming the internet?

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2013

I think because HoC is good counter programming to the Super Bowl. While most people have Super Bowl parties, if even a small fraction of people who just aren't into football and all the hype decide to have a HoC viewing party instead, it would be huge for Netflix. With all the great reviews, I'm sure plenty of people are excited to see it.

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2013

I don't watch ball games...many don't. I think it is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2013

What made the original so brilliant was that it was wickedly funny. All the humor has been drained out of this.

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2013

i went to Netflix last night and did a search on House of Cards. It wasn't there. Anybody else have problems?

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2013

It took me a couple of tries to find the new version, but it's there, r12.

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

Kevin Spacey is chewing the scenery, but it's a fun watch.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

I watched the first two episodes last night and two more tonight. Definitely addictive, although I don't think I could watch more than two or three episodes in one sitting.

I'm loving Frank's (Kevin's) little asides to the audience.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

I'm on episode 6, it is addictive and fun.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

I've liked the first two episodes. Robin Wright's character seems deadlier than Spacey's. But Spacey is deft in the role.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

Kevin Spacey's wig is chewing the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

I filmed a scene in this last summer as an extra. We were in the sweltering heat at an outdoor political rally and Cory Stoll (very sexy in person) addressed the crowd. Great fun.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

The entire first season is on Netflix Watch Instantly now. I watched the whole thing yesterday.

Here's what I will say - Catholic/Christian themes play out in the open in this series. Retribution, contrition, etc.

And power plays - wow!

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

OMFG. That was some good shit. Kevin Spacey and Kelly Capwell just blew it out of the fucking water. Great show, excellent acting. Love the 4th wall breaking. And they are scary, evil.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

I watched 4 or 5 episodes so far. It is pretty good, not great. Spacey is just too Spacey (read: smug asshole). He isn't evil (??), he is just a dick.

It is obvious Spacey got the entire casting budget, because I haven't recognized a soul aside from him.

I do like the concept however - Netflix is shaking up the model of content delivery.

I will note that I do not have cable, and get my TV either over the air or via Hulu Plus or Netflix on my TV. Combined Hulu Plus and Netflix cost less than $20 a month.

And the "Peachoid" is a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

I'm disappointed that you queens aren't eviscerating this piece of shit by Fincher.

First of all Spacey's "southern drawl" is deplorable. He can't do it.

Secondly, he's awful, just terrible!

Robin Wright is ok, not great. She's not a great actress, but pretty except when the camera is up close on her and you see that her eyes are pulled back too tight, cat style.

And Spacey's WIG is awful. These things pull me out plus the writing is shit, the directing is shit.

See the original, also on Netflix. This is rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

[quote]It is obvious Spacey got the entire casting budget, because I haven't recognized a soul aside from him.

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

It doesn't have one likeable charcter and I guess Kate Mera isn't going to call Kevin Spacey Daddy. Some humor is much needed.....

by Anonymousreply 2502/05/2013

R26 Of course HoC would introduce a GAY storyline after all HoC does star Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 2702/05/2013

Does anyone here at DL work at Netflix and/or have enough inside entertainment info to say how HoC is doing viewership wise. From Procera, a network tracking company: 11% of Netflix subscribers, on Saturday, watched at least one episode of HoC. Is that good or bad?

by Anonymousreply 2802/05/2013

So far the only thing I don't like is that I can't seem to get closed captioning on HoC. I'm sure it's available, but I can't figure out how to do it on my Blu-Ray (or if it's even possible.)

I'm not hard of hearing, but I like to use CC in case I miss something.

by Anonymousreply 2902/05/2013

Oh please. Kevin Spacey isn't gay. Doesn't ping in the slightest. However, the bald guy pings.

by Anonymousreply 3002/05/2013

[quote]It doesn't have one likeable charcter and I guess Kate Mera isn't going to call Kevin Spacey Daddy. Some humor is much needed.....

Holy shit, that's an understatement. The Frances and Claire characters are just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 3102/07/2013

The comments on Deadline.com seem to go in opposite directions. Some say HoC was a great working environment while others say it was horrible. Did any one work on the HoC set? How was it? What was Kevin Spacey like?

by Anonymousreply 3202/07/2013

I liked the Russo character so much I took a break when his doom was imminent. But he was the only character I cared about. In the English version, I felt some sympathy for the young reporter.

by Anonymousreply 3303/05/2013

[quote]I'm loving Frank's (Kevin's) little asides to the audience.

I find them very community theater and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 3403/05/2013

what a show! great casting

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2013

R30 Kevin Spacey isn't gay. Thanks for the good laugh.

by Anonymousreply 3603/09/2013

Robin Wright is such an underrated actress.

Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 3703/09/2013

R32 I spoke briefly to a crew member of one of his movies. This person did not go into details but said that working with Kevin Spacey was weird. Some days he was extremely talkative while other days he was extremely quiet. When asked for more info, this crew member did not want to elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 3803/09/2013

I can understand him, there's always some kind of NDA.

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2013

I got bored with this really quickly. Spacey breaking the 4th wall took all of the interesting potential ambiguity out of his character. He does something, then explains exactly why he did it. It takes all of the potential interest out of the show. Plus he can't act straight. I keep waiting for the big reveal to be that his character is a closeted gay man.

by Anonymousreply 4005/28/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2014

do we have a new thread for the second season?

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2014

I saw Kevin Spacey's self directed movie "The Big Kahuna" and it was terrible. It also stars Peter Fascinelli and Danny Devitto. Kevin looked like he wanted to kiss Peter the whole movie. Then there was an awkward speech about religion and "being true to yourself", with Spacey staring off into the distance..... I always thought he was weird but that was the first time I ever thought he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2014

Is this show any good?

by Anonymousreply 4402/15/2014

Yes, it is quite good, with some very strong performances.

by Anonymousreply 4502/15/2014

"Filmed around the Baltimore area ..."

Say what??????

by Anonymousreply 4603/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.