Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jobs that pay reasonably well and don't require you to supervise other people?

I enjoy pretty much every aspect of my job except one, supervising people. I am actually growing to hate it. After 15 years in this position, I've finally accepted that even the best supervisors have very little chance of changing someone’s basic personality and firing people has become nearly impossible. With those 2 factors in mind, I'm finding it harder to deal with the fact that I'm held accountable for their actions.

I've come to the conclusion I really need to find a job where I'm only responsible for myself. So please give me suggestions of jobs where the pay/benefits are decent ($50K-$80K), but you don't have to manage staff.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3811/12/2013

At USPS top salary for letter carriers and window clerks is $53,000.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 201/25/2013

Accountant.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 301/25/2013

If you aren't a supervisor, OP, chances are somebody else will be supervising YOU. You sure you want to go that route?

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 401/25/2013

Even supervisors have supervisors.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 501/25/2013

Unless you're self-employed.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 601/25/2013

We already concluded the world needs more gay actuaries OP, what's your damage?

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 701/25/2013

IT. I make just under $80k working for a large hospital. Great benefits and generally low-stress.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 801/25/2013

Well, I guess I fit that category. I work in a small (1-person) college admissions office. I am the director, recruiter, admissions counsellor, and admin assistant all in one. The drawback is that it is a 7-day a week position (60 hrs a week in the slow times, 80+ from Sept - April). I do the phones, website, prepare all decision letters, and travel to events across the country. I am in the office 6 days a week (7am - 6pm every weekday).

I process 1000+ applications per year and manage 6K+ leads/year.

But my salary is in your range and I have no one to supervise.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 901/25/2013

I love supervising people and I was good at it.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1001/25/2013

I actually feel like a loser because I'm 40 and have never been in a job where I supervised anyone. Yes, there were admin assistants and interns who were below me on the food chain, but they didn't report to me.

OP, I'm paid 80K to manage grants. No benefits though as I'm a contractor.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1101/25/2013

I'm without direct reports for the first time in six years and I hate it.

I actually have to do something.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1201/25/2013

Thanks for the replies. For those who love having direct reports please tell me why. Perhaps I can learn to dislike this aspect of my job less. I have 7 direct reports and dealing with all the personality conflicts and performance issues (primarily not providing appropriate customer service) is driving me crazy! And as I said above I am held responsible for actions that are for the most part out of my control. I can model the behavior I want, but if someone is just generally an Eeyore type personality or they're rough around the edges you really cannot change that and you can't fire them for it either.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1301/25/2013

Medical transcriptionist.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1401/25/2013

I gave up a well-paying management title because I was responsible for things I had no control over, including employee absence. Downgraded to a union job and was happier.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1501/25/2013

Medical informatics. Trust me OP. It's a relatively new field and very few people have degrees in it. Most hospitals hire IT people with no clinical experience, which is bad, or clinical people who don't know anything about computers and networks.

Digital imaging (x-rays, CTs, etc) and electronic medical records are big business. Starting salary is in the $60K to $70K range going up into the low/mid six figure range for consultants and programmers.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1601/25/2013

style and fashion guru

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1701/25/2013

IT jobs will be scarcer and scarcer as everyone moves to the cloud.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1801/25/2013

R8, can I come at your stress-free IT shop? Because I work in a smallish (200 bed) hospital and we're insanely busy and tons of drama with a whole change in management.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 1901/25/2013

And who do you think runs the cloud? I.T. people.

That said I don't mind supervising people so long as I have control over who to hire and who to fire.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2001/25/2013

What about being pharma rep? It helps if you have a science background but depending on what field you're in now it may not be a deal breaker. They also give you a car, phone and laptop.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2101/25/2013

Hey R19, are you in Houston? The Texas Medical Center is full of good IT jobs, especially if you have experience supporting Electronic Health Records systems or Mac/Linux support.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2201/26/2013

[quote]Digital imaging (x-rays, CTs, etc) and electronic medical records are big business. Starting salary is in the $60K to $70K range

Bullshit about Medical Records jobs paying well. I recently interviewed for a job in Medical Records at a hospital, and the starting pay wasn't even $11.00 an hour.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2311/09/2013

Court reporting pays in the range you're looking for. You don't supervise anyone and it's not as if depositions are going to dry up over the next 25 years. Even with video technology, the parties still want a written transcript and the court requires one.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2411/09/2013

Real estate agent

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2511/09/2013

OP: Sales Analyst, Data Analyst, Reporting Analyst, Budgeting Analyst. Base pay $50K+ and bonus (tied to company's performance). No direct reports and, if you work for a more progressive company, you can even work from home.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2611/09/2013

Project manager, here. I make $150/year and I am not responsible for anyone but myself.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2711/09/2013

many government jobs fit the criteria. Basically any profession that is relevant to govnt will have many well paid, non-supervisory positions.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2811/09/2013

r23 of course it pays $11/hr, it's clerical work involving copying and printing off med records by request.

Medical Informatics as described at r16 is IT work, involving programming and other tech skills to manage radiology and other digital imaging records and the systems used to create them, and fancy new EMR systems most hospitals are implementing which are fully digitizing clinical data and information in all areas. It's a big up and coming field as stated.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 2911/09/2013

[quote]Project manager, here. I make $150/year and I am not responsible for anyone but myself.

What exactly does a "project manager" do and how do you get trained for it?

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3011/09/2013

R26, that is the type of work I used to do before I returned to mortgage fraud investigation.

My current job pays well, but the mortgage industry is shrinking - layoffs galore - so I have started searching for Reporting/Data Analyst work.

I know SQL, but I've been told that is an old school application these days. Which applications do you use?

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3111/09/2013

I second the analyst suggestion. It's mostly research/reporting based and requires no underlings.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3211/09/2013

[quote]At USPS top salary for letter carriers and window clerks is $53,000.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it takes years to get there and I heard that carriers are especially pressured by management.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3311/09/2013

R31 Yes, we still use SQL at our company. Lots of Excel including macros and advanced formulas.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3411/10/2013

I make around $100k as a project manager for a marketing firm. Basically, I manage projects to create junk mail for clients. I don't supervise anyone. But I have to deal with clients whose actions you cannot control. I think it's worse than dealing with direct reports, because my performance is based on their actions (or non-actions in many situations). It's a no-win situation because in management eyes the client is always right.

And for the person who asked about project management jobs, I have a masters degree in project management. You just have to be really good at keeping track of multiple projects and keep them moving along. Harder than you think.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3511/12/2013

I don't have the personality or the desire to supervise ANY co-worker, and I'm glad I never had to do it all the years I was employed. I could never rationalize the idea that I would be making other people's lives miserable. I'll leave that to the alpha types.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3611/12/2013

Lawyer, probably.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3711/12/2013

R9, you do the work of 3 people. At 50-80k, you're being grossly underpaid.

Although I understand this is the way things work in the US, and perhaps you enjoy your job.

by Getting my $18 of advicereply 3811/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.