Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Women in Combat

I've read a number of opinions and heard others, but his former Marine clearly has ISSUES. He needs to seek help.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

Less welcome, perhaps, is the spotlight it throws on the British military, which as recently as 2010 concluded that the exclusion of women from ground close-combat roles should continue.

For reasons of “operational effectiveness”, women are not allowed to serve in the small tactical teams that are deployed “to close with and kill the enemy”. And, a spokesman said yesterday, there are no plans to change this position.

In truth, banning women from hand-to-hand combat has nothing to do with capability – which can, after all, be empirically proved by fitness and psychometric testing – and everything to do with the more nebulous notion of “team cohesion”.

“There is no question that some women would be able to meet the standard required of personnel performing in close-combat roles, both physically and psychologically,” the MoD reported in November 2011 after a review, which it is obliged to carry out every eight years under the European Community Equal Treatment Directive.

“The key issue is the potential impact of having both men and women serving together in small teams,” it continued. “Under the conditions of high-intensity, close-quarter battle, team cohesion becomes of much greater importance; its failure having potentially grave and far-reaching consequences.”

According to one former infantry officer, this essentially translates as: “  'Daft young lads are liable to show off and vie for attention, placing themselves and others in danger’ and 'daft young lads are liable to have a misplaced sense of gallantry towards a female colleague, placing themselves and others in danger’, which is absolutely unknowable, but we can’t take chances.”

Yet it does seem peculiar, even unfair, to penalise professional female soldiers in case their presence prompts unprofessionalism among their male counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

Major Megan M. McClung

USNA, 1995

Major Megan M. McClung, 34, of Coupeville, WA, died December 6, 2006 while supporting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq. Megan was the first female USMC officer killed in combat in Iraq. She was assigned to I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group, I MEF, Camp Pendleton, CA.

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

Captain Jennifer Harris

USNA, 2000

Captain Jennifer Harris died February 7, 2007 when her CH-46 Twin Rotor Sea Knight Helo was brought down by enemy fire between Baghdad and Fallujah. Jennifer was the lone female member of the Marine Corps’ legendary Purple Fox Squadron.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

2Lt. Emily J.T. Perez, 23, of Texas, died on Sept.12 of injuries sustained in Al Kifl, Iraq, when an improvised explosive device detonated near her HMMWV during combat operations. Perez was assigned to the 204th Support Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas. She is survived by her parents, of Fort Washington; a brother; and her godparents.

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Women have no place in combat situations, the Brits have it right.

It's getting to the point of ridiculous. There are just some situations that women should stay out of. It's not enough for women to play "men's" sports on a woman's team, they wanna play with the men's team. And now women are suing private men-only clubs and organizations, FORCING them to allow women to become members.

They demand to be treated equal to men, yet they expect the man to go all chivalrous when it suits them.

Sorry, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Sometimes women don't belong / aren't wanted in certain situations. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

I don't think they should be in combat, either. It's not like the oppostion will have women in combat!

I think they are running out of soldiers and are afraid to reinstate the draft.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

I'm a woman and I don't think the author of that article was exaggerating for effect. War is the worst thing ever. Can women endure the hardship? Some. Not all men can either. Women continue to give birth, an excruciatingly painful experience, without anesthesia by the millions every year. Can women deal with the psychological hardship? Some can, some can't.

But, that isn't the point of the column. The point of a unit is its uniformity. It's one group and they are all alike. Can women pee in a cup? Sure. Defecate in a bag? Of course. But, acting like it will be the same only with women added to the mix is naive. Women menstruate, they're much more prone to UTIs for example. Most men want to be men among their male comrades. There's a comfort level.

I know some women who can bench press more than the average guy could, that's not the point. Women and men are equally strong, equally intelligent. But, they're very different.

There could be devastating effects to forcing men to experience war alongside women in the most brutal ways.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

I don't want women or men in combat. War, what is it good for?

by Anonymousreply 801/25/2013

American Military Women who Died in the Vietnam War

1st Lt. Sharon Ann Lane - On the Wall at 23W 112

Lt. Lane died from shrapnel wounds when the 312th Evac. at Chu Lai was hit by rockets on June 8, 1969. From Canton, OH, she was a month short of her 26th birthday. She was posthumously awarded the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Palm and the Bronze Star for Heroism. In 1970, the recovery room at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Denver, where Lt. Lane had been assigned before going to Viet Nam, was dedicated in her honor. In 1973, Aultman Hospital in Canton, OH, where Lane had attended nursing school, erected a bronze statue of Lane. The names of 110 local servicemen killed in Vietnam are on the base of the statue.

2nd Lt. Pamela Dorothy Donovan - On the Wall at 53W 043

Lt. Donovan, from Allston, MA, became seriously ill and died on July 8, 1968. She was assigned to the 85th Evac. in Qui Nhon. She was 26 years old.

Lt. Col. Annie Ruth Graham - On the Wall at 48W 012

Chief Nurse at 91st Evac. Hospital, Tuy Hoa. From Efland, NC, she suffered a stroke in August 14, 1968 and was evacuated to Japan where she died four days later. A veteran of both World War II and Korea, she was 52.

Capt. Mary Therese Klinker - On the Wall at 01W 122

Capt. Klinker, a flight nurse assigned to Clark Air Base in the Philippines, was on the C-5A Galaxy which crashed on April 4 outside Saigon while evacuating Vietnamese orphans. This is known as the Operation Babylift crash. From Lafayette, IN, she was 27. She was posthumously awarded the Airman's Medal for Heroism and the Meritorious Service Medal.

2nd Lt. Carol Ann Elizabeth Drazba - On the Wall at 05E 046

2nd Lt. Elizabeth Ann Jones - On the Wall at 05E 047

Lt. Drazba and Lt. Jones were assigned to the 3rd Field Hospital in Saigon. They died in a helicopter crash near Saigon, February 18, 1966. Drazba was from Dunmore, PA, Jones from Allendale, SC. Both were 22 years old.

Capt. Eleanor Grace Alexander - On the Wall at 31E 008

1st Lt. Hedwig Diane Orlowski - On the Wall at 31E 015

Capt. Alexander of Westwood, NJ, and Lt. Orlowski of Detroit, MI, died November 30, 1967. Alexander, stationed at the 85th Evac., and Orlowski, stationed at the 67th Evac. in Qui Nhon, had been sent to a hospital in Pleiku to help out during a push. With them when their plane crashed on the return trip to Qui Nhon were two other nurses, Jerome E. Olmstead of Clintonville, WI, and Kenneth R. Shoemaker, Jr. of Owensboro, KY. Alexander was 27, Orlowski 23. Both were posthumously awarded Bronze Stars.

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

r7, that article wasn't exaggerating.

I was a US Infantryman for 5 years. Deployed to Iraq in early 2003. I didn't shower for five weeks after we came in. It's completely disgusting. Women don't to be in actual, real combat roles. Real combat troops are not going to an operating base for showers, cots, and high speed Internet. They are out in the field for long periods of time and it can be very unsanitary. Not to mention the very, very real problem has with sexual assault of female soldiers in the military.

I'm not gonna go into a diatribe, but there are so many reasons women shouldn't be in combat situations that I can't even list them.

It's a bad, bad move made to score political points. I would even say that there will be some rape scandal that will prove this whole thing was a mistake, but knowing the military they'll cover it up anyways.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

They are already in combat situations -- they are just not in Long Term Infantry Patrols.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.