Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Veda's rendition of "Oceana Roll"

I watched Mildred Pierce for the umpteenth time last night. The scene where Veda sings "Oceana Roll" was just the absolute zenith of camp, and I can't get the song out of my head. Did Ann Blyth actually sing it, or was someone else's voice dubbed in? This is one of my desert island movies. I can watch it over and over.

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2013

Hilarious reactions from Joan/Mildred as if her daughter were doing something as heinous as picking up quarters with her vagina in a Mexican brothel cooch show. The number is quaint, wholesome and innocent. It was a player piano "old" song even in 1945. But, boy, they sure wanted to portray that Veda had gone to the "dark side" and become some sort of whore.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

Was it implied that Wally was fucking Veda when she left home and he got her that singing job?

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

In the films of the 30s and 40s, "nightclub singer" was often shorthand for low-rent whore.

The end of the scene where Joan and Jack Carson trade barbs is pretty great as well.

At the link, Jane Powell gives a athletic interpretation of the song, with a very young Debbie Reynolds in support.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

R1 it wasn't that the song was scandalous. It was that she was singing it in a skimpy costume, on stage, IN PUBLIC, FOR MONEY!!!!!

But yeah, they acted like they were watching Veda shoot ping pong balls out of her snatch.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2013

Ann Blyth DID sing it... she had that weird piping coloratura, which would have been much better had they stayed with the book and emphasized Veda's opera singing (they only barely show it in the Warners' movie).

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2013

Billy McCoy

Was a musical boy

On the cruiser Alabama

He was there at that piana

Like a fish down in the sea

He would rattle off some harmony,

Ev'ry night out on the ocean

He would get that raggy notion

Start that syncopated motion lovingly,

No one could sleep

Way out there on the deep

When Billy cut loose out at sea.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2013

At least I wasn't a common frump whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing!

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2013

That was Ann singing.

When she became an adult, Ann did a few big MGM musicals - mostly operettas like "The Great Caruso", "The Student Prince", the remake of "Rose Marie", and "Kismet".

She also did tons of tours in shows like "Camelot" and "Carnival".

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2013

And speaking of MGM musicals, here's Jane Powell singing "Oceana Roll" in TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE,

Look for a young Debbie Reynolds in this number, and tall, openly gay Carleton Carpenter too - it was in this film that Debbie and Carleton sang the immortal "Aba Daba Honeymoon"

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2013

The Oceana Roll is a Ragtime tune. You know what that means - it's Negro music! She's not just a cooch dancer, she's a coon shouter.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2013

HD version of Jane Powell's Oceana Roll posted at R3 and here as well.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2013

Ann shilling for Hostess. Are those really her kids?

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.