Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So many people associated with Warhol's factory met grim ends

Warhol died suddenly during routine surgery, apparently drowning in his own fluids. Edie OD's, as did countless other drag queens. No surprise there -- he worked with lots of druggies, after all -- but what about the others?! Halston: AIDS. Jon Gould: Kaposi's sarcoma (went blind and was down to 70 pounds). Ex-boyfriend Jed Johnson: TWA plane wreck. Ondine: Liver cancer. Paul America was hit by a car while walking home from a dentist appt. Business manager Fred Hughes died of MS. Truman Capote died an empty shell with no friends, his liver pickled. Valerie Solanis died of pneumonia in a fleabag motel.

by Anonymousreply 4106/01/2013

But then there's fame whore extraordinaire Bob Colacello, still soldiering on.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

OP, they cast themselves in those roles as soon as they entered his orbit. Glamorous, non-conventional, self-destructive. They knew EXACTLY what they were getting into.

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

In just a few years, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of the people who ever set foot in the Factory will be dead.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

R3, state the obvious much?

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Makes sense I guess - responsible people who stay the course and make prudent life decisions are just not interesting, from a Warholian perspective.

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

I'm Still Here.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

Joe Dallesandro's end is anything but grim. Even now.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

The Factory seemed like a place where the only manual labor was done sitting on a couch, turning the pages of movie magazines.

by Anonymousreply 801/25/2013

He did not die during routine surgery- he died post operatively of sepsis because his private duty nurse did not regognize that he was coding (in cardiopulmonary collapse). Had he been under the care of the staff nurses at the Harkness pavillion he would not have died.

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

Mary Woronov is still around, and gives a great account of just how debauched the Factory was in her book "Swimming Underground." You'll never want to do crystal after reading it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

"The Factory seemed like a place where the only manual labor was done sitting on a couch, turning the pages of movie magazines."

My dream job!

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

I wonder... did Warhold encourage his "friends" to destroy themselves?

Because there's a certain type of evil personality who considers that to be a thrilling power trip.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

KS doesn't kill you, dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2013

OP,here's. little secret: EVERYBODY DIES

by Anonymousreply 1401/25/2013

The scene in Warhol's "factory" was just typical of the times: drugs, drugs and more drugs, particularly speed and heroin. I don't think Warhol encouraged it, but he did find the destruction of other human beings interesting.

Edie Sedgewick was a particularly sad case. Supposedly Warhol said that if she od'd he would like to be there in order to film it.

Warhol and Edie had been seen together at all the best parties and happenings; they both had silver hair, wore striped boat-neck shirts, like they were twins or something. She was in several of his movies and it was assumed they had a very close connection to each other. Edie became a speed addict; she had a major breakdown and was carted off to a mental ward. No one saw her with Warhol anymore. She wasn't in his movies anymore. She seemed to have disappeared. Warhol was asked: what happened with Edie? Warhol said she was just somebody who used to hang around; nobody knew where she was. He seemed quite unconcerned and nonchalant. And despite his previously being seen all over the place in the company of Edie, he claimed that he didn't really know her very well. Cold, cold, cold.

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

Warhol was a brilliant artist, but he always struck me as a user and sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

OP, you left out Andrea "Whips" Feldman who jumped to her death at just 24, having summoned all her ex-boyfriends to her apartment building.

by Anonymousreply 1701/25/2013

If you poke around on the Internet you can unearth tape recordings of Edie talking in a drugged out stupor toward the end of her life. She returned home to Santa Barbara to be near family and died at 28 from a mix of medications.

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

Besides Dallesandro, Viva's still around. Also Brigid Berlin and Paul Morrissey. Lou Reed looks terrible, but is in decent health I guess. Gerard Malanga is still alive and kicking.

With heavy drug use, sometimes survival's just the luck of the draw.

by Anonymousreply 1901/25/2013

He seemed fragile and shallow to me.

by Anonymousreply 2001/25/2013

r15 -- Didn't Andy feel betrayed when she ran off with Dylan, who framed his intrusion as a rescue of Edie from the gays?

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

Sam Bolton is alive and well in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2013

Susan Pile: alive, well.

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2013

R17, thank you for that link! I was up for most of the night reading.

Years ago, I came upon the Edie biography and initially found Warhol and his coterie during the heyday of the Factory, fascinating. I did a complete 180 after he died and I read the various biographies, autobiographies, and his diaries. He truly did come across as a nasty, bigoted, paranoid, unhappy user. I continue to find his hangers on to be much more interesting than him and I enjoy reading about that world.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2013

I think Warhol worked with the CIA & was using MK-Ultra programming along w/ the drugs & sex to keep these people in this "hip" phase in the world, that ushered in the dope kulture here & made us the a shallow stoned bunch of idiots. Also, Kapsi Sarcoma is an HIV related illness....I think most of them died from HIV/Aids just by reading above....fluids in lungs, pneumonia.....all a big hoax.

by Anonymousreply 2606/01/2013

Live was short and so were they.

by Anonymousreply 2706/01/2013

Ultra Violet is still alive, living and working in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 2806/01/2013

R4, you make me worry for the future of your species.

R2, why say "non-conventional" when "unconventional" will do just fine?

by Anonymousreply 2906/01/2013

Warhol was the consummate observer. He liked to stand back and watch things happen. According to Jed Johnson, he was even like this in bed where he would just sit back in a chair and watch Jed fuck other men while he directed from the corner of the room.

If you think about it, the fact that he was more of an observer than a participant is exactly why he was able to capture the zeitgeist of his generation and the "Pop Art" movement.

by Anonymousreply 3006/01/2013

Andy Warhol looked like death warmed over during the last year of his life. I totally believe that he had AIDS and died from complications from that. The gun shot wound probably didn't help but anyone who believes the story his people put out about his death is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 3106/01/2013

R4 will, some day, get a sense of humor. I hope it's soon.

by Anonymousreply 3206/01/2013

Though Capote and Halston both had portraits done by Warhol they weren't exactly part of the factory scene, were they?

by Anonymousreply 3306/01/2013

The doctors wanted Warhol in ICU, but he refused. Then they said, "Look, it's got to be a postop stepdown unit." A stepdown unit has 4 patients in one room hooked to cardiac monitors and one staff nurse who is in the room at all times. Warhol refused that. He wanted a private room and would have nothing else. He did not want to share a room with another patient.

So the doctors allowed him a private room with a private duty nurse, figuring, "What's the worst that can happen?"

Well, they found out.

The hospital tried to re-spin the incident later, claiming the nurse wasn't sleeping or out of the room. But I worked down the road at another NYC hospital at the time and one of our chief fellows was very good friends with one of the docs who responded to the code and rigor mortis had definitely set in. Either the nurse was sleeping or was out of the room visiting nurse friends.

by Anonymousreply 3406/01/2013

[quote] Also, Kapsi Sarcoma

I remember her!

by Anonymousreply 3506/01/2013

The ones left alive have it worse, knowing that someday their end would be grim. The ones who died earlier didn't know they were affected by the Warhol curse.

by Anonymousreply 3606/01/2013

What has Gerard Malanga been doing all these years? There doesn't seem to be much info on him.

by Anonymousreply 3706/01/2013

Don't forget Nico, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3806/01/2013

Musician Eric Emerson (Warhol Superstar Jane Forth's lover and father of her child) died after being hit by a car, Lance Loud (AIDS), Nico (became a junkie, hit her head after falling off a bicycle, she was probably stoned out of her mind), Lou Reed (recent liver transplant, still alive) and Taylor Mead (one of Warhol's first Superstars) just died, but he was old, around 88-89.

Mead was just about to be evicted from his apartment and was interviewed by some local news stations about his situation, he was still in his rundown apartment while new construction was going on!

Perhaps he died from stress. I remember seeing Taylor hanging out at Max's, he was so bizarre. Taylor reportedly came from money, one wonders why he remained in such squalid surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 3906/01/2013

[quote]Lou Reed looks terrible, but is in decent health I guess.

He's not. Stop guessing.

by Anonymousreply 4006/01/2013

"He's not. Stop guessing."

Yes, I just posted about his transplant.

Not to mention, there's already already a thread here on DL!

by Anonymousreply 4106/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!