Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tom Hanks is a boring hack of an actor. Why is he so successful of all people?

And he's not even a fun drunk.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2013

Tom Hanks won various parts partly because casting directors and then audiences could place themselves in his shoes. He was not intimidatingly good looking to either men or women. He built up a nice list of credit - and friends - and the momentum continues.

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

I have a friend who considers him the equal of James Stewart. I don't dislike Hanks, but he's no Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

I agree. Dull as day old dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

The proper idiom is "dull as ditchwater," not "dishwater."

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

He can put in a a good performance in some films and he's a likable presence. I ended up surprised by how good he was in that stranded on an island movie.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

I like him and think he's funny, but I know he's hated by many. I thought he was cute back in the 80's and up to Philadelphia. I also like him in Angels and Demons.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

He used to be fun, back when he made comedies like "A League of Their Own" and "Big".

Then he got all self-imporant and shit.

by Anonymousreply 801/25/2013

He's definitely not a fun drunk, unless you're a big ol' masochist.

His onetime "boy next door" appeal has long disappared behind the alcohol bloat. The only way I can explain Hanks's continued success is that he's built up a network of powerful and supportive Hollywood friends.

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

Thanks, you're so right R9.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

He is a bit of a cunty person, too. I remember at some awards ceremony, a guy in a wheelchair was sent by an Australian TV station to do a cross. The poor bastard accidentally parked his chair on the hem of Rita Wilson's dress. As soon as he realised, he moved his chair and apologised to Hanks, who, by that time, was shuffling around trying to free the dress. Hanks proceeded to shoot him a filthy look and storm off without a word.

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

[quote] I have a friend who considers him the equal of James Stewart.

You say this as though it's a new comparison.

Hanks probably has played characters with more variety than Stewart did. I don't get why they're discussed together. Yes, there's the everyman plain looking aspect to them both, but other than that, nothing. Plus, Hanks has played some assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

They compare Clooney to Cary Grant. As if!

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2013

^ agree 100%

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

Jimmy Stewart wasn't so aw shucks in Vertigo, Rear Window and parts of It's A Wonderful Life. He could play angry, obsessed or tormented pretty well. Those fianl scenes with Kim Novak in Vertigo with him angrily confronting her about her deception are very intense.

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

Yes he's rather bland and sometimes actually boring. He's successful because he doesn't challenge audiences with his acting or his looks. He has the technique to pull of most of his roles, but he's white-bread American bland

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1901/25/2013

[quote]I have a friend who considers him the equal of James Stewart.

Hope you don't think your friend was the one who came up with that comparison on his own. Upon our request, Hanks himself has been referencing Stewart since "Big."

by Anonymousreply 2001/25/2013

Does Tom Hanks have a big giant head? That seems to be a prerequisite to fame in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 2101/25/2013

[quote]That seems to be a prerequisite to fame in Hollywood.

No. It's a pre-requisite for acting in front of a camera - a small body and a big head (the lollipop syndrome). It's what the lens picks up best.

Hence the reason why so many actors/video stars, especially the men, end up disappointing us with their real height (Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman, Shirley MacLaine, Madonna, all lollipops).

Due to print work requirements, however, models need not apply with big heads, unless they're strictly spokesmodels or just doing TV shows and infomercials (see Vanna White, the quintessential "lollipop").

by Anonymousreply 2201/25/2013

[quote]a small body and a big head (the lollipop syndrome). It's what the lens picks up best.

How funny -- on lunch, I'll see if I can track down the scientific reasons why.

by Anonymousreply 2401/25/2013

R23 obviously hasn't seen Rope.

by Anonymousreply 2501/25/2013

I liked a couple of his movies (Apollo 13, Shaving Ryan's Privates, and the Green Mile), but I think he does not have a lot of depth as an actor. Rather boring.

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

There's something about Tom Hanks that just wears thin with me. I can't put my finger on it. I think he's pretty dull too.

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

"Rear Window was a great film, but I think any actor of the day could have played that character."

Any actor of the day?

Are you really all that certain you would have liked Marlon Brando, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Charlton Heston, Peter Finch, Ernest Borgnine, Kirk Douglas, Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson, Richard Burton, Tyrone Power, Montgomery Clift, Farley Granger, Robert Walker, Yves Montand, or Spencer Tracey in that role?

Let alone that they would have been nearly as good as Stewart was?

by Anonymousreply 2801/25/2013

Ton Hanks will be on Broadway this season.

Having done over 30 episodes of Bosom Buddies in front of a live audience, he should be an old pro at treading the boards.

by Anonymousreply 2901/25/2013

He's been quite good in a number of films over the years. He is hardly a boring hack of an actor (and producer). I could list about a dozen reasons off the top of my head.

Another stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 3001/25/2013

I never realized that anyone other than my silly friend would have the audacity to compare Hanks (favorably) to Jimmy Stewart.

And I never realized that anyone could fail to appreciate the guy who did (in addition to those mentioned above) "The Philadelphia Story", "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", & "The Flight Of The Phoenix".

Standards do slip, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 3101/25/2013

Tom has done some good work. Philadelphia (for which he won a much deserved oscar), Nothing in Common with the great Jackie Gleason, Everytime we say goodbye, Sleepless in Seattle, Big.

by Anonymousreply 3201/25/2013

His entire career is based on "Bachelor Party." Nothing else he has done since has won him any fans.

And he was quite attractive in that.

by Anonymousreply 3301/25/2013

He can be pretty boring. He does have fairly bland looks, and he seems sorta boring as a person.

But, I don't think he's a hack actor at all. I think he's been very good in a number of things, such as Philadelphia, early comedies, Castaway.

by Anonymousreply 3401/25/2013

No one has mentioned the black underwear scene in Turner and Hooch. My attraction to Tom Hanks started and ended there.

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2013

Most his roles were either likeable goofs or heroes. Plus, he never offended anybody with a messy personal life. He conducted himself like an old school star when he became a star. Personally, I avoid Tom Hanks movies and am no fan at all, but I think that's part of his success.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2013

"[Stewart] could play angry, obsessed or tormented pretty well."

Pretty well?!! That scene in "IaWL" where he destroys his drafting desk in front of his mortified wife and children is an amazing piece of work. He was a brilliant actor.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2013

He's certainly a bore. I've seen him a couple of times on late night talk shows and couldn't believe his dullness. He thinks he can tell a story but he can not.

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2013

I wonder how the OP knows he is not a fun drunk?

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!