Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Manti Te'o Tells Katie Couric He Was A Victim Of Girlfriend Hoax And That He Is 'Far From' Gay

Addressing speculation that Te'o could have been involved in concocting the hoax in order to hide his sexuality, Couric asked if he was gay.

"No, far from it ... far from it," Te'o replied.

Video:

by Anonymousreply 5702/03/2013

Bob Costas wouldn't have just asked if he was gay. He'd have asked, "Are you sexually attracted to men?" and waited for the Sandusky-like response of: "Sexually? . . uh, er, uh . . . [10 second pause] No, not sexually."

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2013

I don't know if he's gay or not, but Katie should have asked him what newspapers and magazines he reads, 'cause oh man, he seems dumb as a box of rocks.

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2013

Far from gay?

Far from intelligent too.

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2013

HE'S SOOOOOOO GAY.

by Anonymousreply 401/25/2013

Someone call the Bait Bus on this palooka.

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2013

Dumb is right!

I'm starting to believe he was duped. His phone records backed up his story.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2013

Look for an actual, real-life girlfriend or wife to emerge relatively soon. Manti and his Mormom church elders are going squash these gay rumors faster than you can say premature ejaculation.

by Anonymousreply 701/25/2013

I. Don't. Believe. Him.

by Anonymousreply 801/25/2013

I think he may just a sexually repressed virgin who was probably preached to so much about premarital sex, that he was afraid of women, so it was safer to meet them online.

There are a lot of them out there..think Tim Tebow and the like. I'd like to hear more from the guy who pretended to be this girl. Now he MUST be gay to be so obsessed with this guy to go to such elaborate lengths

by Anonymousreply 901/25/2013

Weren't you guys paying attention the past year?

Mormans are taught to lie if it serves their own best interest.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

It's like totally Catfish.

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

Manti, don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

I don't get why he never attempted to meet her. What star football player stays celibate and w/ a long distance GF he's never met? A dumb one. What wrinkle to this idiotic story will come out next? Phone sex? The perpetrator was sick and had too much time on his hands. He has some 'esplainin' to do!

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2013

He should have said: "I'm severely not gay."

by Anonymousreply 1401/25/2013

"I'm far from gay."

Translation: "I'm gay."

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

He's a good-looking football jock who needs to go to the Internet to find a gf?

Conclusion? Gay.

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

I don't know if he participated in this hoax to cover for a gay relationship. I am leaning against that particular theory. I'm starting to think he really didn't know she was fake.

Instead, I think he used the situation to his advantage. So he still lied and perpetrated a hoax on the public.

I think that he communicated with this Lennay, thinking she was a groupie. Then, when it seemed like he might benefit from the relationship, he started fabricating one that was closer than reality. It benefited him to have this tragedy so he used it.

He is a proven liar by his own admission.

by Anonymousreply 1701/25/2013

But he said he met her in person. I don't get it. Who did he meet? Or is he now saying he lied about that ... but not everything else? Who was he talking on the phone with all this time?

by Anonymousreply 1801/25/2013

Star football players don't date "internet girlfriends." They bang all of the hot groupie-chicks that throw themselves at them.

Gay, gay, gay.

by Anonymousreply 2001/25/2013

They had long phone conversation and he'd go to sleep talking to her... Or him. He released a voicemail of Lennay and it sounded like a girl. The guy who pulled the hoax probably used some kind of instrument like an auto-tuner.

by Anonymousreply 2101/25/2013

Clearly, the PR is working. I guess that's it then, R21. He was duped.

by Anonymousreply 2201/25/2013

He needs to start his own Church of Lennay Kekua and proclaim all non-believers to be servants of Satan!

She appeared to me,

Died

And Rose again from the dead.

She lives!

by Anonymousreply 2401/25/2013

If I were a gay man who had a gay encounter with Manti, I would be selling my story so fast right now. This won't last. By next year - at the latest, he will be forgotten. He is incredibly stupid, but his lies and denials are transparent, and he's desperate. I guess he needs football because he obviously isn't going to be able to do anything else, and he obviously believes he can't be a football star and be gay. Tebow is gay too. One thing is sure. Manti being gay will definitely come out. He can't hide forever. Not in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2501/25/2013

He's about three million percent gay.

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

Only in America would an idiot be given a scholarship to a top-notch college, just because he can run and catch a ball at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

Caught ESPN this morning.....

Skip Bayless says duped. No question about it.

Stephen A says NO. Stephen A said he could be really blunt, but he wouldn't go there. Not about his sexuality, but about him lying (I guess).

I figure Stephen A held back because he didn't want to be Rob Parkered. That's the guy who just got fired from ESPN for talking crap about football player RG3.... He's not black enough, he's a cornball brother, there's a rumor he's a republican, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2801/25/2013

What's with the banner in the background? Is he tilting his head back getting a blowjob from Lennai?

by Anonymousreply 2901/25/2013

With every "far" he adds, I'm more convinced he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 3001/25/2013

There will be so much more to come out. Not about Manti Te'o but about other false hot women and professional athletes. All out of the internet. Unbelievable how many have been duped.

by Anonymousreply 3101/25/2013

"Star football players don't date "internet girlfriends." They bang all of the hot groupie-chicks that throw themselves at them."

Not devout religious conservative athletes. I lived in a football dorm with jock fans. Many are committed to their faith and actually try to live in accordance with its teachings.

by Anonymousreply 3201/25/2013

Why is the media going along with the "he was tricked" angle? It's obvious he was in on it.

by Anonymousreply 3301/25/2013

yumers!

by Anonymousreply 3401/25/2013

Sorry, R32. All young men (straight and gay and in between) are horndogs. I can't tell you how many "chaste", waiting-for-marriage "straight" guys I've met who claim to be following their religion, only to later find out they were gay or secretly promiscuous. It's in a young man's biology to want sex and pursue it.

by Anonymousreply 3501/25/2013

This guy is either closeted or a moron or part of whole charade.

by Anonymousreply 3601/25/2013

I don't know why this is such a big deal. This happens all the time. It happened to the local handy man in college. He thought he was communicating with a hot chick in Nigeria for 6 months (who knew tons about sports lol), til he saw her supposed picture on a travel brochure. Not sure how he found out it was a guy.

Maybe not everyone would fall for it but this is pretty common. Google: Janna St. James + scam. She did this for over 10 years. One woman was hospitalized when she found out she was so freaked out.

by Anonymousreply 3701/25/2013

I was right. No way was that a man's voice on those tapes.

Report: Tuiasosopo’s female cousin was voice behind Te’o hoax

Posted by Ben Kercheval on January 25, 2013, 12:08 PM EST

Another day, another layer to the Manti Te’o hoax story. It seems it won’t be too much longer before we start running out of layers — barring a dramatic and breaking development, that is.

Yesterday, the lawyer representing Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man believed to be behind the Lennay Kekua hoax, claimed his client was the voice on the other end of the line during phone calls between “Kekua” and Te’o. On the same day, and in an interview with Katie Couric, Te’o shared multiple voicemails said to be from Kekua. All of them contained what sounded like a girl’s voice on the other end. If Te’o was truly duped to the extent he claims, it would have been understandable to not think twice about the sex of the person on the other end.

Conversely, it would be nothing short of astonishing if in fact Tuiasosopo was the voice — unless some type of alteration device was used — if for no other reasons than the consistency and length of time needed to make the hoax believable. That by itself is worthy of cynicism.

“If he somehow made that voice, that’s incredible, that’s an incredible talent to do that. Especially every single day,” Te’o told Curic.

But, here we are a day later, and it turns out Ronaiah Tuiasosopo may not have been the one speaking to Te’o after all. According to the New York Post, it was Tuiasosopo’s female cousin, Tino Tuiasosopo, speaking to Te’o over the phone. One of Tino’s cousins told the paper “There is no doubt whatsoever that it’s Tino” after listening to the voicemails.

ABC News also took the voicemails to audio experts, who said it’s “impossible” for the voice on those messages to be coming from a man. The Post adds that Tino Tuiasosopo works for her dad’s construction company, a detail Te’o mentioned when describing Kekua. Te’o also claimed previously in an interview with ESPN’s Jeremy Schapp that “Two guys and a girl are responsible for the whole thing.”

What incentive Tino Tuiasosopo would have for being the voice of Kekua is unknown. Ronaiah Tuiasosopo’s attorney, Milton Grimes, did not reply to requests to comment by the Post.

So what does all this mean? Even though we’re over a week into this story, we’re not much closer to knowing what’s really going on. And we probably never will.

If Ronaiah Tuiasosopo was “determined to take the rap” as one of his relatives told the Post, who’s to say he’s not doing so for Te’o? Multiple accounts have stated Ronoaiah Tuiasosopo not only confessed to duping Te’o, but apologized – sometimes while crying. And none of this explains why Te’o informed Notre Dame of the hoax three weeks after he received a call from the suddenly alive “Kekua” — she reportedly passed away from leukemia last September — but later noted he didn’t fully believe it was a hoax until the Deadspin story broke.

Instead of becoming clearer with time, every twist and turn has made this story stranger, so it’s hard to know what to discredit and what to believe no matter how bizarre.

Te’o spoke publicly about the situation to Couric without shedding much additional light. That will likely be the last time he does so until he interviews with NFL clubs at the upcoming combine. The Tuiasosopo’s, meanwhile can’t even get their own story straight.

Don’t expect any of this to clear up soon.

by Anonymousreply 3801/25/2013

This, of course, means he's REALLY gay. Which is a plus, in my book. Just wish he didn't feel like he has to lie about it.

by Anonymousreply 3901/25/2013

She’s the voice behind Manti Te’o’s tragic faux-mance.

Hoax mastermind Ronaiah Tuiasosopo’s pretty young cousin played the part of “Lennay Kekua,” the fake girlfriend he created, The Post has learned.

Tino Tuiasosopo convinced the Notre Dame grid star that she was the real deal, calling him at school, telling him she loved him and even sobbing hysterically when another girl answered his phone, several of the woman’s relatives said yesterday.

“Tino is the girl that Manti has been talking to all these months,” said a Tuiasosopo cousin.

The revelation shoots down claims by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo’s attorney, Milton Grimes, that Ronaiah altered his masculine voice to play the part of the chirpy, flirty Kekua.

Tino TuiasosopoGrimes did not respond to calls or e-mails for comment.

One of Ronaiah’s relatives believes Grimes put out the story because the admitted hoaxer “is determined to take the rap.”

In an interview yesterday with ABC’s Katie Couric, Te’o provided voicemail messages from Lennay and insisted that he’d been duped into believing he was in a legitimate relationship.

After hearing the voicemails, one of Tino’s cousins told The Post, “There is no doubt whatsoever that it’s Tino.”

Te’o told Couric he believes the voice he heard as “Lennay” was definitely a woman. “Well, it didn’t sound like a man. It sounded like a woman,” he said.

“If he somehow made that voice, that’s incredible, that’s an incredible talent to do that. Especially every single day. “

In one voice recording, a hysterical “Lennay” accuses Te’o of having another girl in his room, saying, “I don’t know who answered your phone . . . I don’t care. [Inaudible] I’m trying. You made it clear what you want. Take care.”

One of the Tuiasosopo sources said, “That’s the way [Tino] cries when she’s feeling sorry for herself. Its her, that’s the voice.”

Tino, in her mid-20s, lives in Pago Pago, American Samoa. She works for her dad’s construction company and is described by relatives as vivacious and flirtatious, but very involved in the church. In a profile on the social networking site BEBO from 2008, she lists “acting” as a hobby.

Tino assumed her role in the Te’o ruse after she was dumped from a long-distance relationship with another man — and there were “extraordinary similarities” between the two situations, a source said.

The man broke off the relationship in late 2011.

“She said it was OK, because she was doing better. She said she was talking to another person [and] he plays football for Notre Dame — number 5, Manti,” a source recalled.

Tino couldn’t be reached for comment. Her dad, Bob, declined to talk about the situation, saying, “I don’t want to divulge anything.”

by Anonymousreply 4001/25/2013

They are all freaks.

by Anonymousreply 4101/25/2013

So Ronaiah Tuiasosopo had no connection with Manti Te'o at all when he decided to perpetrate the hoax? He just knew he was a football player at ND?

by Anonymousreply 4201/25/2013

e-beards are all the rage now

by Anonymousreply 4301/25/2013

[quote]So Ronaiah Tuiasosopo had no connection with Manti Te'o at all when he decided to perpetrate the hoax? He just knew he was a football player at ND?

No, they knew each other. They are relatives. That's why eveyone's saying Manti was in on it.

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2013

Stupid jock. If you have to tell people you're not gay then it's already too late.

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2013

Best response to date:

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2013

"No, they knew each other. They are relatives. That's why eveyone's saying Manti was in on it."

They aren't related.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2013

[quote]"I'm far from gay."

I'm sure he's 360 degrees away from gay.

by Anonymousreply 4801/26/2013

Yeah R10, so are Republicans, Scientologists and Catholics. What else is new?

by Anonymousreply 4901/26/2013

America, I'm surprised at you. Only in such a homophobic country would people accept that you could actually have a meaningful, intimate relationship (i.e., girlfriend) with someone you've never even met. I mean, c"mon. Only in the States would this rubbish fly.

Elsewhere, this story would begin and end with the words, Crazy Man. That's how this should be framed, not with a question of authenticity. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 5001/26/2013

Why wouldn't he have visited her at least once? It's not like he couldn't afford airfare. All parties are complicit here.

by Anonymousreply 5101/26/2013

Mormons are told to lie if it is in their best interest. Also what is missing is that the Mormon church has backed and coached him on this so he will come out of this ok. What to say, when to say it, everything is instructed and guided by the church. This includes having someone who will be the fall guy. This person will be paid off to "confess" that they did something that made the poor guy the victim.

He is gay as a goose, and he will be protected at all costs. The Mormons DO NOT let assets such as this get away or get harmed.

by Anonymousreply 5201/26/2013

Manti is a sports hero so it is not for you gays to question his sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 5301/26/2013

After seeing bits of the news w/ the Roniah guy on Dr. Phil, this story is just more bizarre and pathetically sad by the day. I feel sorry for both of those young guys, gay or not. Time to move on to important, actual news.

by Anonymousreply 5402/03/2013

Manti Te'o

Lennay Kekua

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo

These names are EPIC! What's the female's cousin's name?

by Anonymousreply 5502/03/2013

I don't know why but, in my head, I imagine he said that with a Cher-like hair toss and a lip lick.

by Anonymousreply 5602/03/2013

As someone who is intensely private, I don't understand the need to be so public about the most personal aspect of your life. Why do some people feel the need to overshare? It's the same with trolls on social media.

This modern trend of laying out your entire life and inner-most desires for the world to see is troubling to me. People don't seem to have the concept of privacy anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5702/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.