Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tasteful Friends, Michael Cunningham Shits Better Than You

Stackiness, a toy steamer for really big jobs, and Joe Dallesandro on the wall. The decorator answers questions in the comments.

by from Remodelistareply 9412/20/2014

And yet he is alone.

by from Remodelistareply 101/24/2013

Isn't that something.

by from Remodelistareply 201/24/2013

Towers of books are horrible. Impractical and ugly.

by from Remodelistareply 301/24/2013

Pretentious crackpot? Anybody know?

by from Remodelistareply 401/24/2013

[quote]Michael Cunningham at home in his sun-flooded NYC loft. "His aesthetic sensibility also extends to his personal style," writer Elliott Holt says at The Migrant Book Club. "He tends to wear jeans, t-shirts, and boots. But not just any boots. He once told me that he buys them from Carol Christian Poell, an Austrian designer in Milan, who buries the boots in his backyard for a few weeks to give them an authentic weathered appearance."

by from Remodelistareply 501/24/2013

For fucks sake get a Kindle.

by from Remodelistareply 601/24/2013

Sounds like Hello Magazine.

"Welcome to my tasteful drawing room"

by from Remodelistareply 701/24/2013

Books are awfully decorative, don't you think?

by from Remodelistareply 801/24/2013

Wouldn't they all get water damage from being around water?

by from Remodelistareply 901/24/2013

R9,

[quote]Geoff O'Sullivan Julie • 6 hours ago −Hi Julie, my construction company is ST3 Management Corp. I've barely managed a business card all these years ! I'm lucky, all my work comes from referrals , ST3 does have a FB page and a website will happen soon.

[quote][bold]And the humidity was never an issue, the extraction fan was over sized ( one of the "quiet" series from Panasonic ,I believe) and the tall ceilings also helped dispel the steam.[/bold]

by from Remodelistareply 1001/24/2013

The spines-to-the-wall book tower is like some sick fuck set out to commit the perfect crime of annoying interior design

by from Remodelistareply 1101/24/2013

[quote] Note the appealing visuals created by the different shades of aged and new paper.

by from Remodelistareply 1201/24/2013

Note the appealing visuals created by the different chunks of food in my puke

by from Remodelistareply 1301/24/2013

Thanks, R10. I remain unconvinced, though. Plus, some will fall in the tub!

by from Remodelistareply 1401/24/2013

Also, how does he get to the books on the upper shelves over the tub? You'd slip trying to reach for them.

by from Remodelistareply 1501/24/2013

R15, the books aren't for reading.

That stool is an abomination.

by from Remodelistareply 1601/24/2013

I love that somehow one of the "prized" books on the stool has its lettering in kanji.

by from Remodelistareply 1701/24/2013

I wonder how his meds are arranged.

by from Remodelistareply 1801/25/2013

I'm still trying to figure out the hair. Does he have a David Letterman going on up there?

by from Remodelistareply 1901/25/2013

Sorry haters. It looks great.

by from Remodelistareply 2001/25/2013

There was an annoying profile with him in Entertainment Weekly a few years ago and he must have mentioned being on the phone with "Julia" (Roberts) five times.

by from Remodelistareply 2101/25/2013

The book stacks are moronic, but other than that, it's fine. He's a handsome man - why does he have such an awful dye job (or wig) ?

by from Remodelistareply 2201/25/2013

O God now that thing will come bitching about her friend Julie and how she got an interview with Cunningham

by from Remodelistareply 2301/25/2013

I love my life!

by from Remodelistareply 2401/25/2013

Burying boots in the ground for a weathered look?

What a pretentious piece of shit.

by from Remodelistareply 2501/25/2013

All those books right over the toilet. Nasty!

by from Remodelistareply 2601/25/2013

Hideous and pretentious. The stacked books are too deliberate and the books in the bathroom? So impractical as water and steam will undoubtedly ruin them.

Burying boots for a weathered look? Oy!

by from Remodelistareply 2701/25/2013

Cruel to mention the boots and then not show us a photo of them.

Other than the books, I love the bathroom. That tub is fantastic.

by from Remodelistareply 2801/25/2013

R20 = Michael Cunningham

by from Remodelistareply 2901/25/2013

Actually R20 is the one who posted

[quote]Why are gay atheists such disgusting and nasty creatures?

over on the God thread.

by from Remodelistareply 3001/25/2013

Flying fecal matter! Ick. Books are generally filthy under the best of circumstances.

by from Remodelistareply 3101/25/2013

[quote] Cunningham created a tower of books, spines to the wall, using the Sapien Bookcase, designed by Milan-based Bruno Rainaldi and available at Design Within Reach. Note the appealing visuals created by the different shades of aged and new paper.

Lick my hairy ass. That has to be one of the most absurd affectations I've seen among all the absurdities of NYC apartments, and the caption writing is even worse.

I spy lots of titles that are "important" or of-a-moment rather than interesting or good.

Years ago I knew Cunningham a little -- mutual friends, a few dinners, even a make-out or two. He was rather charming and nothing like backasswards Milanese tower of books.

by from Remodelistareply 3201/25/2013

Oh, look! Stack of books and magazines next to the tub and the shitter! How divinely sophisticated, Mary!

by from Remodelistareply 3301/25/2013

"Angie & Emily.... Dickinson"

*rolls eyes*

by from Remodelistareply 3401/25/2013

I await the announcement that Michael Cunningham was killed in the bathtub by a falling copy of Infinite Jest.

by from Remodelistareply 3501/25/2013

I see one of you bitches commented at the linked article:

[quote]Great! 1st question: What was it like working for such an obviously shallow, silly old queen and were the magazines next to the tub your idea, or hers? I mean, HIS?

by from Remodelistareply 3601/25/2013

Is he gay?

by from Remodelistareply 3701/25/2013

R37, please go to your room.

by from Remodelistareply 3801/25/2013

[quote]Prized volumes on a horn stool.

FUCK YOU.

by from Remodelistareply 3901/25/2013

No, R37. Only the heir to Hemingway would write The Hours.

by from Remodelistareply 4001/25/2013

As someone who has more books than is good for him, I wish I had a bathroom spacious enough to hold a bookshelf.

And I'll be he has a shower stall where he does most of his scrubbing, so I doubt water damage is a frequent problem.

by from Remodelistareply 4101/25/2013

Books in the bathroom is just nasty. Unsanitary. If not actual, literal fecal matter, then they absorb, um, shall we say, ODORS. It's all too pretentious for words. The tub actually reminds me of Clifton Webb's tub/bathroom from the film noir Laura. Anyone who has seen that movie knows what I am talking about.

by from Remodelistareply 4201/25/2013

LOL R36!!

by from Remodelistareply 4301/25/2013

[quote]Books in the bathroom is just nasty. Unsanitary. If not actual, literal fecal matter, then they absorb, um, shall we say, ODORS. It's all too pretentious for words. The tub actually reminds me of Clifton Webb's tub/bathroom from the film noir Laura. Anyone who has seen that movie knows what I am talking about.

MARY!

by from Remodelistareply 4401/25/2013

And here I was sure if someone mentioned Clifton Webb and a bathroom in the same sentence, it would involve Clifton on his knees blowing a sailor in a public loo.

by from Remodelistareply 4501/25/2013

Clifton Webb (Waldo Lydecker) typed his column in the bath (not a euphemism), and no doubt it showed, but books in the salle de bain? Highly unlikely. Waldo was an aesthete, a mincing prisspot ne plus ultra, who scolded Dana Andrews for fingering his glassware.

Concerning Cunningham, if reversed books are so amusing, why bother with the alphabetising in the tub room? Ridiculous, I'm afraid, like buying weathered boots.

Adam Mars-Jones won the Hatchet Job of the Year award for taking apart Cunningham's last effort, and it seems as though he could sense the pretentiousness an ocean away.

by from Remodelistareply 4601/25/2013

Is that a Titanic toy boat? Does he fill up the tub and play with a toy boat?

by from Remodelistareply 4701/25/2013

I see a Julian Schnabel book. Maybe he rips out the pages and uses it for toilet paper.

by from Remodelistareply 4801/25/2013

That pic of the young man with the bandana wrapped around his head in the 5th picture is none other than Joe D'Allesandro of Andy Warhol fame. Also countless sexual fantasies by some in the Gay community.

by from Remodelistareply 4901/25/2013

Shepherd's Bush, R7?

by from Remodelistareply 5001/25/2013

You all are hilarious. He's a writer, so obviously he reads books and likes to have them around. (They're in alphabetical order, so they're obviously not just a prop.) He lives in New York so he probably doesn't have a lot of space. What's wrong with the bathroom? I imagine it has a fan? The idea that it's "unsanitary" is laughably stupid.

Now the stack of books with the pages facing out - that's dumb.

by from Remodelistareply 5101/25/2013

[quote]They're in alphabetical order, so they're obviously not just a prop.

That makes no sense, Mr. Cunningham.

by from Remodelistareply 5201/28/2013

[quote]That pic of the young man with the bandana wrapped around his head in the 5th picture is none other than Joe D'Allesandro of Andy Warhol fame.

Yes, the OP noted as much.

Try to pay attention, dear.

by from Remodelistareply 5301/28/2013

What's wrong with the bathroom? I imagine it has a fan? The idea that it's "unsanitary" is laughably stupid.

by from Remodelistareply 5401/28/2013

[quote]Note the appealing visuals created by the different shades of aged and new paper.

I love books! They're so decorative!

by from Remodelistareply 5501/28/2013

Perhaps Michael Cunningham does shit better than I, but the bathroom in which I do it is larger and more luxurious.

by from Remodelistareply 5601/28/2013

Books in the bathroom? I am the prior poster who said it IS unsanitary. Think about those neanderthal workplace breeders who come out of the mens' room with a newspaper tucked under their arm and then they throw it on the break table OR offer it to YOU. Do you kind of do a "No thanks?" It's the same thing. Maybe in your OWN bathroom you don't care about getting your own microscopic shit all over you (many people keep "reading material" in the bath, shall we say) but seeing that in someone else's home? Disgusting.

by from Remodelistareply 5701/28/2013

[quote]You all are hilarious. He's a writer, so obviously he reads books and likes to have them around.

Honey, I like chocolate cake but that doesn't mean I surround myself with it in the bathroom.

by from Remodelistareply 5801/28/2013

[quote]Maybe in your OWN bathroom you don't care about getting your own microscopic shit all over you

Your obsession with the idea of coating everything with microscopic shit is much more disturbing than books in someone's bathroom.

by from Remodelistareply 5901/28/2013

Dear god, it looks highly impractical and pompous in a 'in your face, peasants!' kind of way.

by from Remodelistareply 6001/28/2013

Cluedo needs a new expension pack that includes a replica of all these precious items (the monstrosity of the stool and the boots) and the bathroom set with all the book shelves.

Also a new murder/victim player called Michael Cuntinhammer.

by from Remodelistareply 6101/28/2013

For those who don't care that their bathroom books are sprayed with shit. Here's just a bit of info.

by from Remodelistareply 6201/28/2013

Some of you queens sound like you shit like monkeys - ripping it from your ass and throwing it on the wall.

I've met Michael a handful of times. He is a nice guy and has been with his partner for a good 16 years now. He is not alone. That doesn't mean he doesn't play around either - I have seen him flirting here and there. And wasn't there a story of him making out with Hugh Dancy at the wrap party of Evening?

He has worked hard for the little fame he currently has had at such a late age (late 50s - pressing 60s?) Leave him to enjoy it. I know I would be doing the same thing.

by from Remodelistareply 6301/28/2013

Hey Cunningham, your stool made of elephant ivory tusks is obscene and should not be celebrated.

by from Remodelistareply 6401/28/2013

Did you hear that?: r63 KNOWS Michael Cunningham personally. So the rest of you are thus forbidden from making fun of Cunningham! This entire forum is all about r63. If he likes a celebrity, you can't make fun of him or her.

by from Remodelistareply 6501/28/2013

Bryn Mawr has the flying feces details.

by from Remodelistareply 6601/28/2013

Halston did that spine-to-the-wall thing 30 years ago. Lost a lot of respect for him. The moral equivalent of destroying the library in Baghdad or Timbuktu.

by from Remodelistareply 6701/28/2013

R62 and R66, isn't it common knowledge that you put the toilet seat cover down before flushing?

by from Remodelistareply 6801/28/2013

Of course, what is lost in all of this is that he has written two of the best gay novels of the last fifty years--"A Home at the End of the World" and "The Hours." If I had written either of those two, I wouldn't give a damn what a bunch of bitter queens on a chat board have to say about my decor.

by from Remodelistareply 6901/28/2013

[quote] I wouldn't give a damn what a bunch of bitter queens on a chat board have to say about my decor.

Coming from hillbilly sensibilities, I'm always surprised by how many people want photos of their bathrooms published for strangers to remark upon. Cunningham has done well for himself, and may have a few bucks, but he's certainly not of the Architectural Digest crowd whose houses have virtually become public spaces.

I mean, during the photo shoot, didn't he feel silly: "This is where I like to relax. Notice the books."

by from Remodelistareply 7001/28/2013

[quote]"He tends to wear jeans, t-shirts, and boots. But not just any boots. He once told me that he buys them from Carol Christian Poell, an Austrian designer in Milan, who buries the boots in his backyard for a few weeks to give them an authentic weathered appearance."

My. God. So typical. It's fine, he likes nice boots. Perfectly fine. But, the buried boots detail is the sort of "look at me and value me for my stuff" shit I can't stand.

by from Remodelistareply 7101/28/2013

I sort of like the looks of the books in the bathroom. Makes it cozy. But, isn't it impractical in terms of humidity affecting the books? or not?

He's a writer, so I'll begrudge him his books.

by from Remodelistareply 7201/28/2013

[quote]he has written two of the best gay novels of the last fifty years--"A Home at the End of the World" and "The Hours." If I had written either of those two, I wouldn't give a damn what a bunch of bitter queens on a chat board have to say about my decor.

Well, there's just no accounting for tastes, is there? I suppose for those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.

Some people on this forum even believe Bret Easton Ellis is a great writer, so perhaps you're in good company.

by from Remodelistareply 7301/28/2013

I like R73. Come sit by me.

by from Remodelistareply 7401/28/2013

Take your meds R65. I said I met him a handful of times. I don't know the dude personally.

by from Remodelistareply 7501/28/2013

[quote]Halston did that spine-to-the-wall thing 30 years ago. Lost a lot of respect for him. The moral equivalent of destroying the library in Baghdad or Timbuktu.

Only Timbuktu, darling? Surely at least equivalent to the loss of burning of the library at Alexandria, and the bombing of Dresden.

I think you need to take yourself down to his apartment building this very minute in a crocheted beret, and wheel up and down until Spring a beribboned pram bearing a placard: SPINE TO THE WALL HALSTON CULTURE VANDALS REPENT!!

by from Remodelistareply 7601/28/2013

The bathroom is a terrible place to keep books. As others have pointed out: sprayed with shit and urine and destroyed by the moist environment. Horrific!

Do we really need a crocheted beret and a beribboned pram, r76? Can't someone just go down there and save those books from a death by bad decorating?!?!?

by from Remodelistareply 7701/28/2013

I understand the humidity issue, but why would the books have to be sprayed with urine and feces?

by from Remodelistareply 7801/28/2013

She's a pretentious poseur, albeit one with a pretty big cock...

by from Remodelistareply 7901/28/2013

If Cunningham is "pressing 60," R63, it's from the plus side, not the minus side.

I think he's always taken himself way too seriously. I remember him running around NYC when THE HOURS was a big deal, with peroxide yellow hair like some wanna-be MGM starlet. Kind of tragic.

by from Remodelistareply 8001/28/2013

Aren't books just divine? There so decorative!

by from Remodelistareply 8101/29/2013

"Hey Cunningham, your stool made of elephant ivory tusks is obscene and should not be celebrated."

Horn doesn't mean ivory. For one thing, elephant ivory is much bigger than those horns. Also, it's illegal to own ivory unless it was "harvested" before the anti-ivory laws came into being. The horn from that stool is most likely from long-horn cattle-- by-product of the beef industry. Just like leather. You certainly welcome to object to it, but at least know what you're objecting to.

by from Remodelistareply 8201/29/2013

Just adding to R82, nobody would upholster the cushion with naugahyde if those were elephant ivory legs. Nobody.

by from Remodelistareply 8301/29/2013

[quote]And the humidity was never an issue, the extraction fan was over sized ( one of the "quiet" series from Panasonic ,I believe) and the tall ceilings also helped dispel the steam.

bullshit. all those books are gonna mildew.

by from Remodelistareply 8401/29/2013

Is The Snow Queen any good?

by from Remodelistareply 8512/14/2014

Every one of those books is laced with E Coli. Ditto for the gossip rags in the basket next to your shitter, gyrls!

by from Remodelistareply 8612/14/2014

A stack of magazines is fine, but I would never store books in my bathroom. I don't care how well ventilated it is, those books will warp eventually.

by from Remodelistareply 8712/14/2014

He used to troll the steamroom at the West Village Equinox. He has a very big dick.

by from Remodelistareply 8812/14/2014

Bump for books and big dicks

by from Remodelistareply 8912/20/2014

I can't imagine what kind of gymnastics would be required to get a book from the upper shelves over the tub. Seems downright dangerous. Having said that, it would only make sense if those books are being stored there rather than read.

To the fecal contamination hysterics, some of us were taught to close the lid before we flush and not play with our poo. If I read a book while I'm on the throne, of course it will be put down before I wipe so I'm not sure how it would become contaminated.

by from Remodelistareply 9012/20/2014

I adore him and his beautiful bathroom. I met him at a party once, some years after the "Hours" came out, and was immediately taken with him. Fantastically intelligent and very masculine in many ways.

by from Remodelistareply 9112/20/2014

I had lunch with him once with a couple of friends - one of my friends is a writer who had written a piece on him - and I was flustered and embarrassed myself in front of him, just foot in mouth stuff, and now every time I see him all I feel are pangs of humiliation. He's one of my favorite writers, and now I can barely look at his books.

by from Remodelistareply 9212/20/2014

His books since The Hours have all been huge disappointments. Apparently he shot his entire wad on that one fantastic novel.

by from Remodelistareply 9312/20/2014

I guess I'm a philistine like R69. One of my very favorite books is his Flesh and Blood. And I love both Home at the End of the World and The Hours. As well as his book on Provincetown. (But not Specimen Days.)

by from Remodelistareply 9412/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.