Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did anybody watch "The Taste"--Anthony Bourdain/Nigella Lawson new show on ABC?

I DVRed it and watched last night. Don't usually like the shows on the Food Channel but I really enjoyed this. They have 4 chefs (Bourdain and Lawson plus one French guy well known on the LA scene and another guy who owns a chain of restos in San Diego). These four decide based on one spoonful prepared by an unseen contestant who they will choose for their teams--i.e., the Voice only with food. They see the contestant only after they've locked in their votes. Good concept and they show the contestants at home so you get a bit of a rooting interest for them. I rarely like reality TV, but this was really fun to watch. (I have no connection with the show--nobody is paying me for this, honest.)

by Anonymousreply 9702/23/2014

I watched it because I like Nigella, but I can't say I was overly impressed. I know lots of people enjoy Top Chef, Next Food Network Star, and Chopped, but the appeal has usually been lost on me. With most competition shows, the finished product is something the audience can judge as well: a performance, a dress, etc. But there's really no way for the audience to evaluate a single bite of food.

I did like that the format did allow them to weed out the most obvious "personalities" like the New Jersey yenta and the douchebag making "food for awesomeness," and I really did like the deep-voiced, Asian lesbian who made it through, so I'll give it another go, but it seemed to be missing something.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I love Tony, but this is the sellout he promised he'd never do.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

I was thinking exactly what R2 said before I even got a chance to see this thread. Bourdain has become a total pussy since settling down.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

Nigella looks lovely these days...

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

Nigella lost a ton of weight but her skin remained tight. She's in her 50's right? She sure doesn't look it and it doesn't look like surgery either.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

Nigella looks amazing. She shouldn't lose any more weight.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

She has always looked good Rubenesque as opposed to skinny.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Nigella could make me straight. That voice! That food! That body! That face!

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

Nigella talking about the show and food preparation/ presentation.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

Another with Anthony and Nigella

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

I'm not that familiar with Nigella. I liked her personality very much on the show. Just looked up her age (53) and photos. I would say she has had very good face work done--maybe a mid-face lift and/or fat injections. She looks outstanding for her age, but she did not have such luscious cheeks when she was young. I'm all for it though (had cheek implants when I was around her age--and people always say I look quite young for my age).

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

Some of the winners seemed predetermined,

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

r14: I agree. Just too coincidental that Bourdain gets 2 women who look like they'd be his type. And Nigella gets that young girl who is a Nigella nut (made that up--hey, she's a Nutella).

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

Oh, no, R14, no winner on any of these shows is ever redetermined!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

The ringer bourdain bitch from Manhattan was intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

I tuned in late but didn't Bourdain and Nigell pick their chefs? Would make sense they'd pick someone like them or who liked them.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

I met Nigella at a book signing last year and she is definitely plumped and botoxed. She seems to have that same weird cheek thing going on that Madonna has. She is still incredibly gorgeous and *reeks* of wealth. She was very nice to me and I was thrilled to meet her.

Gossip from some of the others on line is that Ina and Rachel are PITA's and the book store staff were glad to see the back of them. They love Nigella though and she doesn't pitch a fit about having to use the public restroom like a normal person.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

Didn't watch it, but I saw the commercials and felt oh so disappointed in Bourdain. Love his books, love his former and current shows on Travel Network, but this?

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

Of course Anthony Bourdain sold out though I'm sure he'd say he has not. Likes to spend a lot of money so this is an easy way to earn some. He looks like a whore so it's not too surprising.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

I'd like that minute of my life back. Watching that youtube clip was painful.

Anthony has truly sold out. Liked him on his own Travel how, but he's become as Paula Dean as one can become. What's next from him? A restaurant in Vegas?

by Anonymousreply 2201/25/2013

Funny that Malarkey stayed on Top Chef as long as he did because of his looks and personality.

by Anonymousreply 2301/25/2013

Malarkey was on top chef??? Which season?

by Anonymousreply 2401/25/2013

Season 3. Made top 4 but Hung won.

by Anonymousreply 2501/25/2013

Bourdain is typical of aging douchebags: they shoot their mouths off when they're young about other people selling out, then do exactly the same thing once they've established their "maverick" status as a brand. He's not better than the people he mocks, though it can be argued he's worse--at least Sandra Lee isn't a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

Because, R26, it always has to be about him. It just used to be "aren't these people in Borneo eating dog burgers lucky that I'm here eating with them" and now it's the programmed "you're an idiot, the worst chef ever" that you can see coming two miles away.

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

Was not impressed at all!

And for God's sake, stop with all the closeups of the judges' mouths when they taste the food.

Gross. I'm a lesbian who thinks Nigella is pretty, but I DON"T need to see constant zoom ins on her mouth when she is tasting the food.

It's not sexy. It's not appealing. It's just nauseating!

STOP IT

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2013

When I first tuned in, I seriously thought that deep-voiced Asian lesbian was a guy.....

until she said she was a female.

by Anonymousreply 2901/27/2013

We're going to taste it LIVE! Who gives a fuck, we can't smell or taste it, so what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 3001/27/2013

The judges also lick their fingers!

I mean, really?

by Anonymousreply 3101/27/2013

nobody thought Judge Ludo was hot?

mmm i like him

by Anonymousreply 3201/27/2013

Ludo is hot, but he'd be better with my cock in his mouth to keep him from talking.

by Anonymousreply 3301/27/2013

I just burned his books...

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

Malarkey's into three-ways with his wife and other dudes...

by Anonymousreply 3501/30/2013

Why are Nigella's ears so MASSIVE?

by Anonymousreply 3601/30/2013

Always found Brian Malarkey so damn cute. First Carla, then him... ABC is scooping them up (not NBC who owns Bravo?)

Maybe the competition will pick up once the teams start cooking. As is, it's like "Here is a spoonful of food. See?" Even "Top Chef" lets us see what got them there, mishaps, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3701/30/2013

I won't watch again because of Ludo. French accents sound so fake and annoying to me.

by Anonymousreply 3801/30/2013

[quote]French accents sound so fake and annoying to me.

My God, DL is getting stupider every day.

by Anonymousreply 3901/30/2013

I didn't even know about this show and Anthony Bourdain being on it until I saw this thread.

I watched the first show (not entirely) and can't believe Anthony Bourdain sold out. Such a hypocrite. He's become the very thing he hated. Why would he throw away his outsider, renegade rep for this Top Chef-knockoff?

by Anonymousreply 4001/30/2013

This show has MASSIVE FAIL written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 4101/30/2013

The second episode seemed blatantly rigged.

by Anonymousreply 4201/30/2013

After one episode, you'd have to pay me to watch this. It's so stupid and boring.

by Anonymousreply 4301/30/2013

I don't think I wil watch the actual competition portion of the show, but I was mildly amused at the quick-edited smackdown of the three vegan chefs, particularly the raw food woman.

by Anonymousreply 4401/30/2013

zzzzzzzzzzzz snore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 4501/30/2013

same r43. I tuned in after reading this hoping to see Bourdain and could not continue watching. Network shows are unwatchable. I'd rather watch Chopped.

by Anonymousreply 4601/30/2013

Has this shitty show been cancelled yet?

by Anonymousreply 4702/18/2013

[quote]Gossip from some of the others on line is that Ina and Rachel are PITA's and the book store staff were glad to see the back of them. They love Nigella though and she doesn't pitch a fit about having to use the public restroom like a normal person.

In fairness, I was thinking of the patrons who would have to follow me when I said I'd prefer not to use the public washroom.

by Anonymousreply 4802/18/2013

I can't believe he's going be Malarkey now instead of Brian. What a poser douchebag. When I first saw his name plate I thought everyone was going by their last names. But then I saw that Anthony Bourdain's name plate said Anthony. If anyone could go by last name, it would have been Bourdain.

And when did he turn gay? He wasn't like this on Top Chef. Now he's all bleached and highlighted and botoxed.

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

The Asian bitch contestant is an obvious plant to stir shit up and create drama. She was a contestant on Chopped.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

MFM is not the same thing as MMF.

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

It needs more HEROIN!

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2013

This shitfest can't even beat Betty White in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 5303/13/2013

What's with all these cheesy, unimaginative names for talk shows now?

The Taste

The Talk

The Chew

The View

What lame names.

by Anonymousreply 5403/13/2013

The Chew is a downright disgusting and stupid name.

And, in street clothes, Simon just doesn't look as sexy.

by Anonymousreply 5503/13/2013

You forgot The Voice

by Anonymousreply 5603/13/2013

Anthony Bourdain is just like Howard Stern. Slam others for selling out, drop the first wife, marry someone younger and turn into exactly what they used to hate.

by Anonymousreply 5703/13/2013

FYI R57 Stern was dropped by the first wife.

by Anonymousreply 5803/13/2013

58 I know that but he has really sold out. When he hooked up with Beth he became so pc it's boring.

by Anonymousreply 5903/13/2013

What's the hold up? Cancel this crap already!

ABC is just hesitant to do it because of Bourdain and Lawson.

Hell, I believe if you served Malarkey a spoonful of soft shit, he'd eat it and then lick off what ever got on his fingers.

The man is just repulsive!

by Anonymousreply 6005/11/2013

I only feel sorry for Nigella. She deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 6105/15/2013

It was listed with Hannibal as on the bubble or fate unconfirmed.

Now what happened to it?

by Anonymousreply 6205/15/2013

It's baa--ack. Seems even more rigged than Season 1, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 6301/04/2014

They should change the name of this show to "The Choke!"

by Anonymousreply 6401/04/2014

The shows suck, unfortunately. The only interesting part is the selection process - which is concluded in the first episode. At the core of the problem is that the contestants, bar one, are not of top quality and not up to producing respectable food reliably across even middling challenges. If the competition were among accomplished and capable cooks, all else might work.

Bourdain seems mostly to nod off and focus on one or two predictable quips each episode. Samuelsson makes a decent effort it seems, but it's not a great spotlight for his talents. Lawson's reliance of emotion over strategy leaves her coming off as a bit dumb and shrill. Lefevre is the star of the thing, adept at playing to the cameras, at sound bytes, and the only one who routinely evidences some passion for the concept.

It's a decent concept, but like most American competition shows, the emphasis on pitting untalented "personalities" against one another makes for shitty TV.

I'll take UK Masterchef (not the horrible US reworking) any day. The contestants are both very talented and -- in a completely un-American twist often just as conversely lacking in self-confidence. It's all about testing talent at a very high level against very high standards, leaving any "drama" to spring from that, not from asshat amateurs with big mouths.

by Anonymousreply 6601/24/2014

Perhaps if they changed the name of the show to "Beauty and the Beast", more people would watch?

by Anonymousreply 6701/24/2014

Nigella is an old, fat talentless slag. Last night was fucking hilarious watching her and her two minions all try to out passive -aggressive each other. She is such a fucking fool. And she sent the wrong one home.

by Anonymousreply 6801/24/2014

Nigella is sexy. Who cares about talent?!!!

by Anonymousreply 6901/24/2014

[quote]These four decide based on one spoonful

Just how much of a taste are we talking here? Teaspoonful or cokespoonful?

by Anonymousreply 7001/24/2014

I am assuming Anthony Bourdain purposely picked a a taste that was not the worst of the night. Three judges claimed it was the worst thing they've tasted.. calling it disgusting. Yet I am supposed to believe that with his palate he picked something else. Something described as bland but not disgusting. It looks like another BS reality series to me!

by Anonymousreply 7101/24/2014

I didn't watch the first season but have been watching the current one. Interesting concept but it does have some flaws. Found myself agreeing with the first eliminated contestant when the mentors called out his dish and then spoke down about him for being so outspoken in defending himself.

by Anonymousreply 7201/24/2014

I kind of love this show. They have changed the format around this season and I'm not sure I like it. I do have to say though, the two cunts on Nigella's team have got to go!

by Anonymousreply 7301/24/2014

Poor Nigella. She's always done less than 1/2 way through the series. She should not have kept that red-headed heifer, Jacquelyn. She should have kept the black woman (can't remember her name).

Shehu may be coming out of the basement. He was on Chopped but lost there as well.

Did anyone else notice that the red-head took a bottle off the counter when she walked out? I thought she was going to come back in drunk off her ass. Some contestants are shown drinking beer while cooking.

by Anonymousreply 7401/31/2014

I can't believe that Jacquelyn walked out. It almost seemed staged -- she gave Nigella an excuse about getting a paper towel, then just walked away and yet everything managed to get captured on camera. I hope she felt like dirt when she discovered that her dish was the second favorite.

Lee is almost always shown with a beer when he's cooking. I'd like him much better if he didn't have such a Cassandra fixation. I don't see or understand the fascination with her, even from Ludo's perspective. Yeah, she went out of her safety zone as it were to do non-vegetarian but she seemed clueless in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 7501/31/2014

Anthony lost Shellie, the stoner food truck lady.

Ludo still has 3 team members and that suck!

by Anonymousreply 7602/07/2014

Ludo is a prick. They need to add subtitles when he speaks.

by Anonymousreply 7702/07/2014

Amen to both statements, R77!

I hate Ludo. I hope he has another sesaon like last year. His team won a bunch of challenges but he lost in the end. He also lost early on one of Top Chef Masters seasons.

by Anonymousreply 7802/07/2014

The last episode was such a travesty. Generally speaking, chefs don't bake desserts so it was ridiculous to have all of them creating their own dessert recipes. The elimination was ridiculous as well -- prior to it, it seemed as if three of the four judges were going to keep Shellie but then at the final, they voted to get rid of her anyway. I'm also tired of Melina's Asian pseudo-philosophy ("The other chefs know what they know. But I know what I know. And I know what they know. But they don't know what I know.). And WTF was that dessert she made -- egg strings with carmelized grapes or something?

by Anonymousreply 7902/07/2014

R79, they do it on Top Chef all the time. I think the only show that doesn't have the contestants make dessert is Hell's Kitchen. Anyone know when that's coming back on. I miss Gordon and the hapless contestants.

by Anonymousreply 8002/12/2014

I can't believe that Melina is in the final four. Does she show ingenuity in the kitchen? Yes, but all of her dishes seemed either to be variations on dumplings and/or not complete meals.

by Anonymousreply 8102/14/2014

Wow! Can't believe Marcus is out of the competition. He had a "Nigella" night; in the bottom of the team challenge, sent home the one who DIDN'T cook and then lost the individual challenge.

Ludo CANNOT win the finale! His team went to the finale last year and lost. That must happen next week. Bourdain may be a douche but I'd rather he win than Ludo.

Melina is skating like Shehue did. Someone makes a dish worse than hers and she's safe yet again.

by Anonymousreply 8202/14/2014

Ludo scares me. And not in that dark, sexy way.

by Anonymousreply 8302/14/2014

Like all reality competition shows with judges, the mentors play fast and loose with the rules. Did Melina actually use beer in her food as was required? If not, she should have been eliminated for that alone. I didn't like the mentors jumping on Lee about his comment regarding his food (something about preparing what he thought was good enough to pass). It's not like he's preparing meals for the crowned heads of Europe. He's cooking something simply to make it through the competition to the finale.

by Anonymousreply 8402/14/2014

Jeff is so competitive with Lee and seems to be enamored with him; meanwhile, Lee doesn't give a shit about Jeff. Lee is alpha; Jeff is a wannabe alpha. Jeff being gay adds a lot to it, as well. If he didn't have such a crush on him, I think he'd loathe him.

Meanwhile, I was shocked to find out that Sarah has a husband. She is one of the dykiest women I've ever seen. I can understand bearding, but most people who beard try to appear straight. She makes no attempt at all.

by Anonymousreply 8502/16/2014

Its Marina not Melina.

Yep all Marina makes is a dumpling. Yet she made fun of Louise for always making tacos!! Haha.

Lee is a drunk.

Jeff is probably going to win. I love Jeff. He's a total queen.

by Anonymousreply 8602/20/2014

lee and cassandra are now dating...

by Anonymousreply 8702/20/2014

Only Master Chef is a more contrived, fake and useless food show. All of the "judges" are busy creating new TV personalities, while the show pretends that one can be judged as a great chef from a layered spoonful of food.

It's stupid fake drama. It must pay well, because Bourdain, Ludo and Samuelsson should be ashamed. Nigella belongs on this kind of show. She is playing Shakira on the Voice. She is not good enough to play Aguilera.

by Anonymousreply 8802/20/2014

Finale tonight. Have to admit that I never thought I would get into the show but have watched it every week. Am rooting for Lee.

by Anonymousreply 8902/20/2014

i doubt that lee will win. he is always drinking on the show. i think he has a problem.

by Anonymousreply 9002/20/2014

so luise won...

lee's hands were shaking so bad that now i'm convinced that he's a drunk.

boy needs rehab.

by Anonymousreply 9102/22/2014

Lee comes across as an arrogant asshole who probably quits every job he gets because he doesn't get enough respect. I'm so glad he lost.

by Anonymousreply 9202/22/2014

The entire "we taste everything blind so we don't know whose dish is whose" shpiel is a huge pile of BS. As if the judges had NO idea that the spring roll lunch was prepared by Marina?

by Anonymousreply 9302/22/2014

[quote]I love Jeff. He's a total queen.

Is Jeff gay? I don't think so. Lee and Jeff are best friends and Lee doesn't seem to be the type to be best friends with a gay.

by Anonymousreply 9402/23/2014

WTF? This is an absolute travelocity! The THIRD worst cook won. The order should have been reversed!

by Anonymousreply 9502/23/2014

It was obvious Lee wouldn't win since they edited him being so arrogant and cocky.

Where he messed up is doing a parmasean flan. It would have worked if he got to present the whole plate and explain it was a flan. But to have it on a spoon, no one could tell what it was. They thought it was grits or potatoes. It must have had a gross mushy texture.

It was just like that guy at the auditions who did the balsamic vinegar pudding inside basil mozzarella. It sounds really good but if you don't know what it is and you're biting into that mushy texture, it can be disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9602/23/2014

Marina messed up by doing a stupid egg roll. I really thought she was going to win when Lee came in third. I never thought Louise was in contention for a minute. This is the problem with blind taste tests. The least talented chef can win.

by Anonymousreply 9702/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.