Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Justin Timberlake's " Suit and Tie"

This is what I detest about modern music-all hype, no substance. All I have heard is that Timberlake is putting out a new cd, like the second coming. And he has more guest stars on his first song than an episode of the " The Love Boat". Why is this mediocre singer being lifted on high? It won't be a great material - or very original. He is no Dylan or Sinatra or even David Cassidy. Please explain why this generation loves to embrace posers? Where are their Dylan or Beatles or Garland? Jay-Z, Taylor Swift, and Train. And they are going to run my government someday?

by Anonymousreply 46411/01/2013

I don't understand what's so great about him either. He's my age and I've never understood the appeal about him.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

OP I agree with you 100%. He's a mediocre talent and to hear the media hype, he's like a white Michael Jackson. As if. He's nowhere near the level of talent that Jackson had. His enduring popularity is a mystery to me, and like you said he needs 100 guest artists to make an album because he's just not talented enough to do it solo. And don't even get me started on the role Autotune plays. I do not understand the hype around Timberlake at all.

And I'm 33 btw, hardly an old fart.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

What a bunch of jealous be-yotches.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

The video is garbage. He's ripped off Jackson's white sock and black loafer look. A four minute ego trip. I bet he masturbated to himself while watching it in playback.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

It sounds like the parody songs he'd sing on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

How many times do we have to have this discussion about JT? Didnt we just get done discussing Future Sex on another thread? For that album alone he will be considered iconic to American pop music forever. Doesnt matter if Suit & Tie sounds like shit, which it does.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

Britney's Blackout trumped Future Sex in terms of shaping the music that was yet to come.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

The single is out-of-step with popular music today. It sounds like something from 2005.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

This one has always stumped me because he is average looking at best. A fluke or there wasn't competition in his genre when he came out solo. Not even the partial package forget about the total package. He has a cool Indian last name and he's entertaining on SNL spots. That's all the use I have for him. Interesting if his adoring public has caught up to the rest of us. Who is promoting him?

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

I love old school music, I think that was what JT was aiming for, because today's music is sh*t. Love the new video!

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

Thank you!

He's an undoubtedly talented singer, but his music always sounds so cold and manufactured.

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

Yeah, right OP, there was no ear candy pop in the 50s, 60s or 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

Are you people retarted?

No one is paying money anymore to develop talent. The GREATS just don't happen. It takes millions of dollars and years.

Why would you invest millions in ONE thing when everyone is just going to steal your product?

You release one "by the books" tried and true sound, hype it to death and hope to sell a bunch of records before people realize they don't like it or are on to the next thing.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

He has had exactly two good songs: "Cry Me A River" and "My Love". He should kiss Timberland;s posterior ad infintum for turning him from boybander to A Lister in the space of five years.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

[quote]Absolutely cannot stand Stevie Wonder - not even for two seconds.

Ugh, you should be strung up for even typing some bullshit like that with a gushfest for Timberwimp as a lead-in. No taste. None at all.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

[quote]Are you people retarted?

LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

I think JT's "Suit & Tie" is one of the best videos so far. I'm already nominating it for an MTV award.

by Anonymousreply 2001/25/2013

[quote]I think JT's "Suit & Tie" is one of the best videos so far.

People still watch videos???

by Anonymousreply 2101/25/2013

R21, you really are out to lunch.

by Anonymousreply 2201/25/2013

The video is very GQ...LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 2301/25/2013

Go play in heavy traffic, r24.

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

He also had a good song called "4 Minutes" with Timbaland and Madonna. I remember hearing it everywhere forever. Great dance song.

I think he's cute, and I watch him in movies (for some reason when I get stoned, I like Time Up or whatever that HORRIBLE movie's name is)

Plus he's got a trouser snake.

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

I thought the video was brilliant. My only gripe is the rap in the middle of the song. Otherwise, a hit song for Justin Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 2901/25/2013

Justin and Britney could have been the next Sonny and Cher. They were at their best when together.

by Anonymousreply 3001/25/2013

Does Timbaland still fuck him?

by Anonymousreply 3201/25/2013

R30-Disney would roll over in his grave if he wasn't frozen solid. Timberlake has the same voice and moves now. Very few child stars are ever original. Once you get into that safe mode of acceptance you will do anything to maintain it. You don't think to be original only popular.

That aside the video was well done except that he is no Sinatra, and I agree with R19 that the black English is disgusting. Why would black artists fall into that Uncle Tom trap over and over. Why use your talent to prop up something so shallow? He is not Elvis- his talent is limited. It is like some sort of rich slavery.

by Anonymousreply 3301/25/2013

This man's career is based heavily on luck. Let's be honest: where would his career be at the moment if he hadn't been involved with Britney at her peak?

by Anonymousreply 3401/25/2013

His whole career is based on selling out his stories involving Britney cheating on him in order to get plays for his song. I think it was "Cry Me a River." I think Timbaland and Pharrel are gay and that they loved twinkie Justin and thought they were going to tap that and maybe they did. I'm not dissing Justin - I would do the same thing in his position. He wrote some great songs for Madonna "4 minutes," "Dance 2night" and I forget the rest.

by Anonymousreply 3501/25/2013

It's being so heavily hyped not because it's that good (and the record company and maybe even Timberlake would admit this), but because the goal is to sell it, to make money off it, whether through downloads, physical sales, "live" performances, tie-in marketing, or appearances.

You know this. Enough with the disingenuous "I don't understand" bullshit. Just say you think it sucks, which is a perfectly valid opinion (and I agree).

by Anonymousreply 3601/25/2013

We have yet to have a Justin on the music scene who doesn't try and appropriate black culture.

by Anonymousreply 3701/25/2013

As much as I am lukewarm in my feelings towards Timberlake, I feel (and agree with his motivation) that he came back to put Bieber back in his place - a fixture on Youtube singing covers of songs. I still resent and am jealous of the ease our brothers in the North enjoy in their ability to mesmerize US media (Gosling, Bieber, Hasselhoff, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 3801/25/2013

Ever since he left Janet out in the cold to weather the storm of the Super Bowl incident back in 2004, he's lost all credibility in my eyes. Sure, he apologized years later for how he left her hanging, but it was fucked up what he did. Timberwimp for sure. And who can forget this Punk'd incident when Ashton had him crying for his mommy...?

by Anonymousreply 3901/25/2013

[quote]our brothers in the North enjoy in their ability to mesmerize US media (Gosling, Bieber, Hasselhoff, etc.)

Actually, David Hasselhoff was born in Baltimore, Maryland. It's north-east, but I'm thinking you were referring to Canadians...

by Anonymousreply 4001/25/2013

I thought Hasselhoff was Canadian! I guess I had him confused with Pamela all these years. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 4101/25/2013

AND, I'm officially OLD. I can't for the life of me imagine paying for that song.

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2013

Suit & Tie does sound like Robin Thicke.

by Anonymousreply 4301/26/2013

Robin Thicke is ten times the artist that Timberlake pretends to be. And he doesn't need Timbalad's hand up his ass. Real R and B music, real talent.

Feast on the trite and commercial if you must. There's just cooler options out there if you want them.

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2013

Oh god, how sad R44 thinks Robin Fucking Thicke is "cooler."

Are you a middle-aged soccer mom?

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2013

Robin Thicke is big in the R and B community, gramps. You hear his music all the time on hip hop and R&B stations.

Timberlake is the modern day equivalent of Fabio and Bobby Darin, or whoever the fuck you elderly listened to fifty years ago.

Of course, he's biting off Thicke's style now.

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2013

I love the song and video...Justin Timberlake rules! I enjoy all of Justin's videos, but this is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2013

Justin Timberwimp couldn't shine Robin Thicke's patent leather shoes

by Anonymousreply 4801/26/2013

Justin Timberlake has been performing way before Robin Thicke, so don't go there!

by Anonymousreply 4901/26/2013

[quote]Have you ever heard of YouTube, grampa?

You are very rude young man, grow up!

by Anonymousreply 5001/26/2013

The song is awful.

by Anonymousreply 5101/26/2013

Male JLo in terms of really wanting to be a movie star and the whole pop career was just a means to that. Now that Hollywood stardom hasn't exactly happened, it's time to go back to the one thing that may still keep him in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 5201/26/2013

[quote]Justin Timberlake has been performing way before Robin Thicke

So what? And Robin Thicke was writing for other artists way before his first album came out in 2003, so he's been in the business for quite a long time. Timberwimp is but a boy when compared to Robin.

by Anonymousreply 5301/26/2013

[quote]As much as I am lukewarm in my feelings towards Timberlake, I feel (and agree with his motivation) that he came back to put Bieber back in his place - a fixture on Youtube singing covers of songs. I still resent and am jealous of the ease our brothers in the North enjoy in their ability to mesmerize US media (Gosling, Bieber, Hasselhoff, etc.)

Yeah...fans who hate Justin Beiber, love Justin Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 5401/26/2013

Justin Timeberlake is the luckiest guy on the planet. Average looks with nappy hair and beady eyes. Talented a la JLO, in other words, all packaging.

I hope it flops so we don't have to his unsexy face.

by Anonymousreply 5501/26/2013

R55 I hope so too. Something about him has always annoyed me. So smug and full of himself.

by Anonymousreply 5601/26/2013

Men's Wearehouse commercial

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2013

He's so, so, very...I wish we could dispense with the preliminary.

by Anonymousreply 5801/27/2013

I just love Timberlake, does he take his shirt off?

by Anonymousreply 5901/27/2013

The total and utter definition of ripping off black culture and getting mass appeal simply because he's white.

I won't say he's untalented, but he's certainly not worthy of the adulation he gets when R&B singers like Miguel and Maxwell are pretty much shitting on his entire catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 6001/27/2013

r60

What a racist, thinking that people can't sing a style of music, because of the color of your skin.

Go back to 1950.

by Anonymousreply 6101/27/2013

This song sucks. I thought he'd be bulletproof as far as a brand new single goes but I don't see Suit and Tie having any longevity on the charts. I give it a couple of weeks before it peaks at radio and starts to take a dive.

He owes his career to Max Martin and Timbaland.

by Anonymousreply 6201/27/2013

Justin tries to "act" cool and sexy- Robin (and his wife) are naturally incredibly cool and sexy- watch his videos that she is in.

by Anonymousreply 6301/27/2013

[quote]Have you ever heard of YouTube, grampa?

What you need is MyTube up your ass

by Anonymousreply 6401/27/2013

Is it fair to say JT is probably returning to music because his film career didn't take off? Everyone seemed to think he'd get a supporting Oscar nom for "The Social Network," but when that didn't happen, hasn't his work as an actor in movies been kind of spotty ever since? Maybe he's done better than I'm remembering, but I was wondering if that's why he's decided to go back to his roots as a singer.

by Anonymousreply 6501/27/2013

I wouldn't be surprized if he has some kind of spin deal. I look for this to fall as fast as it rose.

Agree R60.

by Anonymousreply 6601/27/2013

I was told that the reason he didn't release music for so long was because his contract didn't give him any percentage of digital sales, but I guess now that Jive was bought by RCA they renegotiated his contract.

by Anonymousreply 6701/27/2013

The video was brought to you by Cohiba...

Cohiba, the stench from Havana.

by Anonymousreply 6801/27/2013

R42, That doesn't make you old. I'm 20 and I have no desire to hear a washed up former boy bander.

by Anonymousreply 6901/27/2013

He's a fugly untalented piece of shit hack.

by Anonymousreply 7001/27/2013

I think he's wonderful, handsome and talented. Love the Suit & Tie song, but the video is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 7101/27/2013

Sick of middle class white boys trying to act like black street kids. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 7201/27/2013

I agree with r60. Maxwell is a fantastic talent but has unfortunately never broken into the mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 7301/27/2013

I love "Damn Girl" from the FSLS album. That song is so funky and fun!

by Anonymousreply 7401/27/2013

I too think he's back to doing music because he failed as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 7501/27/2013

[quote]Timberlake is the modern day equivalent of Fabio and Bobby Darin...

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 7601/27/2013

[quote]I too think he's back to doing music because he failed as an actor.

I don't believe that.

by Anonymousreply 7701/27/2013

So now he's trying to rip off Robin Thicke? Nice

by Anonymousreply 7801/27/2013

I hated most of his previous hit singles, but I rather like this one.

by Anonymousreply 7901/27/2013

Wouldn't it be hot if he took off his shirt and he started making out with Joe Jonas?

by Anonymousreply 8101/27/2013

R72 = racist eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 8201/27/2013

I think this is Justin's best song in ages. It has that old school flavor to it, and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 8301/27/2013

He is so transparently femme. His wife is more butch.

by Anonymousreply 8402/18/2013

He's got the whole world bamboozled. He's won Grammys for his crap "music." Just tells you that the Academy for Recording Arts are desperate to seem relevant and cool. Their musical expertise like giving Grammys to the likes of Milli Vanilli, Beyonce, Taylor Swift and umpteen rap crap "artists" just proves that the whole awards fiasco for the last couple of decades were a big joke.

by Anonymousreply 8502/18/2013

[quote]umpteen rap crap "artists"

Racist bigot.

by Anonymousreply 8602/18/2013

I like a lot of JT's music, but Suit and Tie is just so bad. I'm disappointed. I was so looking forward to new music from him. I'll stick with Miguel and Maxwell.

by Anonymousreply 8702/18/2013

I like this, not because it's good - it is bottom of the barrel shit, but at least when I listen to it and dismiss it as tard shit, I can't help but feel superior and cooler than all the low-brow tards that dig it.

by Anonymousreply 8802/18/2013

R88, you sound like an uneducated dolt.

by Anonymousreply 8902/18/2013

Auto-tuned crap. Sounds almost as anemic as One Direction. Really generic. Okay for dancing in a club, but not quality music. I think he's capable of better.

by Anonymousreply 9002/18/2013

I'm listening to a copy of the full album. You can stream it on iTunes. It's total crap. Reminds me of a Robin Thicke album. I have to admit I liked Future Sex, but this album is awful.

by Anonymousreply 9103/12/2013

I saw him perform it on SNL last week. Except... he mostly didn't perform it. His backup singers and Jay-Z did most of the heavy lifting. He was just sort of there.

by Anonymousreply 9203/12/2013

He and JLo are similar- they are incredibly ambitious and surrounded by slick production. Problem is that neither one can really sing or act.

by Anonymousreply 9303/12/2013

I'll say, R93.

by Anonymousreply 9403/12/2013

Please, Justin Timberlake is actually a great singer and very ambitious. It's just that this musical go round was very weak compared to his last efforts. The "acting" is seriously distracting him from what he was born to do, sing.

by Anonymousreply 9503/12/2013

[quote]His backup singers and Jay-Z did most of the heavy lifting. He was just sort of there.

Instantly forgettable song. Jay-Z did heavy lifting? Please, he fucking talked, oh I'm sorry, he "rapped" some lines.

by Anonymousreply 9603/12/2013

JT is a great singer? Your kidding?

by Anonymousreply 9703/12/2013

Sorry if I come off catty ,but I'm just speaking the truth about this guy.He is an awful singer ,and when they advertised his video, Suit and Tie, I was rolling with laughter. His voice is so wimpy as if he was castrated and he is very corny. He has no talent. Unbelievable!

by Anonymousreply 9803/12/2013

Hey R84, since you made that point, are they bearding for each other? I was wondering about that?

by Anonymousreply 9903/12/2013

He's a total lightweight. No voice, can't dance. He was in a boyband. That says it all. That being said, he's great in the limited venue of SNL.

by Anonymousreply 10003/12/2013

Justin, Bruno Mars called and he wants his act back.

by Anonymousreply 10103/12/2013

Retarted is the new WHET or cak

by Anonymousreply 10203/12/2013

[quote]And he has more guest stars on his first song than an episode of the " The Love Boat".

This reference means that you are at least 40, so the music is not meant for you. Go masturbate to your Simon LeBon poster.

by Anonymousreply 10303/12/2013

[quote]Auto-tuned crap. Sounds almost as anemic as One Direction. Really generic.

This.

"Suit and Tie" sounds like it was written for a commercial first and then padded into a single.

by Anonymousreply 10403/12/2013

Sounds like horseshit.

It's Cher's fault everyone uses this AutoTune shit now. After her song "Believe", EVERYONE started doing it, and now it's considered normal to hear fake, robotic vocals on all pop songs. Does anyone know how to fucking sing naturally anymore?

by Anonymousreply 10503/12/2013

I commented in the other Timberlake thread that I'd never had much interest in him before - too boyish for me. Now that he's older he's become a lot more attractive and he is brilliant on SNL.

The music - meh - not really to my taste but I wouldn't say he lacks talent. Clearly this kid is loaded with talent as well as being quite skilled at his chosen profession.

What's most interesting is the pact with the Devil that his group of Mousketeers must have made. Timberlake, Spears, Aguilera, Gosling - all Mousketeers at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 10603/12/2013

His hair looks amazing right now.

by Anonymousreply 10703/12/2013

I think he's phoning in this album and it shows. Maybe his record company is forcing him to put something out? Maybe because his film career didn't take off like he thought?

Everything about his new image is a combination of Bruno Mars and Robin Thicke.

Even that straight hair (that doesn't move!) Did he get a relaxer? We all know he ain't fooling anybody.

by Anonymousreply 10803/12/2013

That's because that head of nasty pubic hair has been relaxed to within an inch of its life.

And his music is anodyne and dull.

by Anonymousreply 10903/12/2013

I love Justin Timberlake new look with the relaxed hair and suits. I love "Suit &Tie" but dislike Jay-Z's obnoxious rap, that is so last year.

I've heard Justin's upcoming album on iTunes, and it's wonderful. This is the new pop sound of 2013, and it's incredible!

Timberlake is the God of Pop Music.

by Anonymousreply 11003/12/2013

I think that Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, and Robin Thicke have the best male singing voices in Pop music. Bieber got lucky from youtube and AutoTune.

by Anonymousreply 11103/12/2013

R97 Justin is a "technically" a very good singer. I never said he has a great voice. He is very much like Beyonce. Great singer but a shrill anemic voice.

by Anonymousreply 11203/12/2013

R102 please tell me what WHET means

by Anonymousreply 11303/12/2013

Nobody can carry a tune anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11403/12/2013

R113, it means "Whatever Happened To...?"

by Anonymousreply 11503/12/2013

The second single "Mirrors" Is less out of step with today's music & a far better offering than "Suit & Tie" which was just dreadful. "Mirrors" is over 8 minutes long. Listen at URL below

by Anonymousreply 11603/12/2013

[quote]I think that Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, and Robin Thicke have the best male singing voices in Pop music

You need to add Usher to that list.

by Anonymousreply 11703/12/2013

I think JT is fine. He is a natural on stage for sure. Performing comes almost too easy for him. As for his songs, I loved Cry Me A River. Everything else? Meh.

But I do like Mirrors. It's a good pop song.

by Anonymousreply 11803/12/2013

"This man's career is based heavily on luck."

I reiterate: The secret woid you all seem to be searching for is: JAY-Z.

NOT Britney (owned and controlled). NOT Timbaland. JAY-Z.

And yes, the cigar and every other Rap/Hip-Hop reference to things enjoyed by people with money (including Rihanna's recent mini-skirt with the dollar sign as a design) is to influence the young to, in effect, worship Mammon.

It is also how Jay-Z, Usher, Swizz-Beatz, et al. saty "cool" with the "Mad Men."

by Anonymousreply 11903/12/2013

Justin Timberlake's third album, The 20/20 Experience, would be a disappointment were we not adequately prepared to be underwhelmed. This is the kind of album whose mellow, nothing-more-than-nice first single is puzzling until you hear the rest of the album and realize that it's the most commercial pop on a collection whose musical m.o. is to be nothing more than nice. "Suit & Tie," at least, has a sense of spunk, which is more than can be said for most of 20/20. The album sounds like a conscious attempt at musical maturity that is never quite earned or fully realized.

With the world unaware that Timberlake had taken himself off musical hiatus and recorded a full album (his first since 2006's FutureSex/LoveSounds), the man prematurely considered a legend by critics and audiences alike announced on YouTube that he was "ready" in January. A few days later that underwhelming single dropped. And then, some dull performances. If the initial marketing seemed weirdly subdued, a way of making molehills out of JT's momentous return to pop music, The 20/20 Experience does everything to compensate for that. Eight out of the album's ten tracks stretch longer than six minutes. More often than not, they extend via intros (the album opens with an orchestral overture that's hilarious in grandiosity) and codas. It's not unlike the structure of some FutureSex tracks, except it happens almost every time here.

"When we were making the record I said, 'If Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin can do 10-minute songs and Queen can do 10-minute songs then why can't we?' We'll figure out the radio edits later," Timberlake recently said on British radio. But that statement is ridiculous beyond its arrogance. There is nothing to figure out – the nut of each of these songs is apparent, and the sonic fat that surrounds them is practically falling off the bone.

Actually, "nut" is putting it too kindly. These groove-based, low-key and mostly static songs sit like blanched lettuce – when they inevitably change up four or five minutes in with slight variations, emphasized rhythms, a looser sense of ad-libbing, Timberlake and his trusty producer Timbaland are essentially asking us, "Now would you like to try some steamed lettuce?" (It is clearer than ever, by the way, that Timbaland is entirely sapped of innovation and condemning himself to repetition, wacky shouty samples and weird beat-boxed rhythms and skittering beats and all.) Only the melodically vibrant "Strawberry Bubblegum" really deserves its coda as it turns toe from a Casio-bloopy, trappy hunk of atmosphere haunted by occasional strings to a sunny ode with Stevie-aping keyboards and a boogie bass line. At the worst, the coda justifies the song: Timbaland revisits the bhangra territory he did over 10 years ago with Missy's "Get Ur Freak On" in "Don't Hold the Wall," which commands its listeners to "Dance!" while merely simmering and without offering so much as a tangible bass line till about four and a half minutes in. These songs are too insignificant for suites.

Though generally pleasant (with the exception of the inert album closer "Blue Ocean Floor," which doesn't even fake movement with a forced outro), there is a palpable pop resistance on 20/20 – for the most part, trends of the day are eschewed for a heightened sense of soul. Horns abound, strings punctuate, songs trot, Timberlake croons. His voice sounds more elastic than ever, his falsetto organic and effortless, but it lacks a depth of life behind it. He just breezes through, performing like he's been trained to do, making his way through the songs with agility and absolutely no sense of reflection. His lyrics remain lovey and superficial without even a sense of a specific object of desire. It's saying very little to point out that the deepest song is the second single "Mirrors" ("It's like you're my mirror / My mirror staring back at me / I couldn't get any bigger / With anyone else beside me And now it's clear as this promise / That we're making / Two reflections into one…").

by Anonymousreply 12003/12/2013

At worst, Timberlake comes off as an off-brand R. Kelly who wandered into Prince's recording studio: "Spaceship Coupe" is driven by a plunking piano and an electrocuted bass line. It boasts a guitar solo and these lines: "Now everybody knows that you're from outer space / But honey I just wanna turn out this space with you / So drive me to your galaxy where I could play / That milky way / And sugar I'll take my time and show you the backseat view."

There's barely a sense of joy on this album – if you didn't know already that Timberlake married Jessica Biel last year, the album certainly wouldn't clue you in. That's fine, not every performer needs to be confessional, but it makes 20/20's very conscious move to maturity seem more suspect. Timberlake's acting and general persona have overtaken his public profile (see how little time recent interviews supporting this album spend on the actual music). Here he is merely playing a smooth, soulful singer. Grown and sexy is but another role, and it's barely deeper than his one in a shitty romcom like Friends With Benefits.

It only becomes clearer over time how perfect "Suit & Tie" was to introduce this project. The 20/20 Experience is all dressed up, and it goes nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 12103/12/2013

[quote]Even that straight hair (that doesn't move!) Did he get a relaxer? We all know he ain't fooling anybody.

I wonder what brand of relaxer he's using. Soft & Beautiful?

by Anonymousreply 12203/12/2013

He's tryin' HARD to be Robin Thicke with that new image and hair.

by Anonymousreply 12303/12/2013

R103- good music welcomes every age and ear. That is why some music last forever. It matures and redefines with age.

Pity you are so afraid of aging. You should be be more worried about a generation that contains so little talent.

Oh and " The Love Boat" was in the seventies- LeBon was in the eighties. Learn your pop history before you use it to insult your elders, boy!

by Anonymousreply 12403/12/2013

So hair gays... The texture of JT hair is noticeably different, his is naturally curly... Is he flat ironing it or something? Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 12503/13/2013

R125 He's using chemical hair relaxers.

by Anonymousreply 12603/13/2013

I love his hair!

by Anonymousreply 12703/13/2013

I like his hair better straight than curly. Suit & Tie I can only listen to halfway. As soon as JayZ comes on, I have to change the radio, his rap w/ stupid lyrics just ruin this lightweight little ditty.

by Anonymousreply 12803/13/2013

[R8] Has A Point! No one credits Britney Spears's "Blackout" for being ahead of it's time!. That album was Pop/HipHop Gold! All overshadowed by Britney's Crazy Ass Behavior!......at the time.

by Anonymousreply 12903/13/2013

Wow, I'm surprised at all the hoopla and ass kissing that's going on all for JT. You'd swear it was still the 2000's.

by Anonymousreply 13003/13/2013

If only he'd take another leaf out of Robin Thicke's book and ditch that irritating falsetto. Thicke sounded much better after that "Lost Without U" and probably stopped using the falsetto since he sounded like shit doing it live.

And I'd like to know why little rich momma's boy JT gets instant cred with the black community especially since he threw Janet under the bus. Wtf, it's just so strange. Thicke also appeals but that's more understandable and he actually walks the walk and doesn't pretend to like black women.

It's also strange why it's Timberlake and not his MMC co-star Aguilera who does well on the r&b chart. She has a much better voice, and even though she doesn't use it like she should most of the time and has weak material she actually has real soul compared to him.

I had a feeling this album would be weak as it seemed tossed off in 2 weeks between him doing back to back films. *cancels iTunes pre-order*

by Anonymousreply 13103/13/2013

A good performance by Justin Timberlake:

by Anonymousreply 13203/13/2013

That is a very good performance, R132, thanks for posting. Don't see much of that talent in this latest rank suit and tie shit tie shit, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 13303/13/2013

Justin is like the King of Music of today's generation, you can't deny his talent and new hair.

by Anonymousreply 13403/13/2013

[quote]It's also strange why it's Timberlake and not his MMC co-star Aguilera who does well on the r&b chart. She has a much better voice, and even though she doesn't use it like she should most of the time and has weak material she actually has real soul compared to him.

Because, Aguilera is a bitch. Talent for sure, but her personality sucks and turns off viewers. Justin Timberlake is the greater entertainer, and everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 13503/13/2013

His new hair is gorgeous, I want to run my fingers through it.

by Anonymousreply 13603/13/2013

USA is already calling Justin Timberlake's new album "The 20/20 Experience" his greatest achievement in music.

This album is going to be HUGE!

by Anonymousreply 13703/13/2013

He's new album is blah, but he's a far better singer than he'll ever be as an actor. His hamminess works on SNL, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 13803/13/2013

I totally fast-forwarded through the album. Sounds too much like the same song over and over. I don't know why people work with only one producer (Timbaland) on an album. Bor-ing.

by Anonymousreply 13903/13/2013

He should have returned and made a POP album. But I guess that wouldn't give him the credibility he craves. Hence this snoozer.

by Anonymousreply 14003/13/2013

That was a good performance R132? To me that was like watching one of the multitude of AI contestants covering music- JT is no more Motown than Britey Spears is the Metropolitan Opera.

by Anonymousreply 14203/13/2013

Half these posts read like y'all are on Timberlake's pr staff. Wtf?

That said, I enjoyed the new album much more than I thought I would. Don't like the straight hair but would still fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 14303/13/2013

I listened to JT's 20/20 Experience on iTunes, and felt like I was listening to a revelation. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟5 Stars! 👍

by Anonymousreply 14403/13/2013

Rolling Stone just gave Timberlake's album ****4 1/2 out of 5! WOW!

by Anonymousreply 14503/13/2013

Justin definitely has some talent, but is overjoyed. He is a B level who received A list status because there were no real malel solo stars around and he had the A list writers and producers Max Martin and Timbaland.

The thing that increasingly bothers me about him is that he is increasingly all style no substance--this was ok when he was a kid but as a maturing young man in his 30s instead of growing and being more real and authentic he is just playing a hackneyed role rather than revealing anything truthful and unique about himself--its just the same old safe boring tired white boy with soul shtick, when there's so much more he is clearly capable of but can't or won't reveal anything that feels truly real honest or emotional. Its all shtick that he might actually believes is "him" but is clearly so fake and superficial that even though he does the role well, its disturbing, cold and offputting

by Anonymousreply 14603/13/2013

[quote]And I'd like to know why little rich momma's boy JT gets instant cred with the black community especially since he threw Janet under the bus.

Oh, believe you me, when it first happened all those years ago, many black singers got in his shit for what he did to Janet. I guess as time passed, all was forgiven. And he did come out with that apology towards her a few years back, saying what he did was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14703/13/2013

Excellent point R146

by Anonymousreply 14803/13/2013

[quote]Oh, believe you me, when it first happened all those years ago, many black singers got in his shit for what he did to Janet. I guess as time passed, all was forgiven. And he did come out with that apology towards her a few years back, saying what he did was wrong.

Janet planned it out, and it was all her fault....not Justin's

by Anonymousreply 14903/13/2013

Oh please, R149. It was an accident, first off. He was supposed to grab the outer-shell of the boustier cup, but tore the whole thing off. Besides, whatever the logistics of it, he was a shithead for what he did. Backstage, immediately after the performance, cameras caught him being all "Yeah, we did that thing! We brought the house down!" And then two days later he was on every news outlet going "I'm ashamed about what happened." He should have manned up and owned up to what he did instead of leaving Janet out there by herself. He never would have taken much heat even if he DID come to her defense, because a white man ripping off a black woman's top, unfortunately, won't get as much scorn as a black man ripping off a white woman's top. A few years ago (too little, too late) he issued a statement saying: "I wish I had supported Janet more. I am not sorry I apologized, but I wish I had been there more for Janet." He also said he knows the flack minorities get in this country, and that he should have been there for her.

by Anonymousreply 15003/13/2013

JT straightening out his hair makes a major difference, because he looks more mature and romantic now.

by Anonymousreply 15103/13/2013

I don't see any talent coming from JT. I certainly don't see any good looks. I do see alot of vanity and and an almost creepy desire to stay in the closet. He's as fake as they come.

by Anonymousreply 15203/13/2013

I think Justin Timberlake is gorgeous, and probably the greatest musical talent that we have today.

by Anonymousreply 15303/13/2013

That's hilarious, R153.

by Anonymousreply 15403/13/2013

Old fag.

Like watching Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 15503/13/2013

I LOVE Suit & Tie, best release so far of the Summer.

by Anonymousreply 15603/13/2013

His falsetto is not pleasant to listen to for very long. A little in a song. Ok. For the entire song. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 15703/13/2013

What is the deal with Justin Timberfake's love life? Did he get married to stay deeper in the closet? I have heard his song should be Earrings and Caftan rather than Suit and Tie?

by Anonymousreply 15803/13/2013

R104 has it right. A lot of his music is comprised of commercial jingles. He's much like Beyonce. And whomever said Beyonce and Timberlake are great singers needs to sit down and shut up. Shirley Bassey is a great singer. Etta James was a great singer. Beyonce is mediocre at best unless you want to compare her to Katy Perry and Rihanna. The standard for what constitutes a great singer is so low that someone like Gaga is sometimes referred to as a vocalist.

Beyonce has 16 Grammys yet has no memorable songs. She certainly has not sung any songs that will last the ages, no classics at all. All she's got is Single Ladies and Bootylicious.

Justin is a wimp. He remained silent after Nipplegate. He never once said the public, the critics were being too harsh. He was the one who ripped her costume yet only she was blamed. His voice is too high to be appealing. The falsetto smacks of trying too hard and let's keep it real, he's fug fug fug. He's starting to look grandpaish in some pics.

by Anonymousreply 15903/14/2013

[quote]And I'd like to know why little rich momma's boy JT gets instant cred with the black community especially since he threw Janet under the bus. Wtf, it's just so strange.

Good question. Blacks may have found it easier to forgive Justin because our celebrity "icons" did -- i.e., Jay-Z, Beyonce and Jamie Foxx, among many others, have all worked with Justin since Nipplegate and don't appear to be concerned with it any longer, thus making it easier for the rest of us to also leave it in the past. (I distinctly remember Jamie Foxx publicly chastising JT for what he did to Janet and seeming very pissed off about it at the time.) Maybe if black celebrities were still carrying a grudge about it (and publicly shunning JT in the process), the rest of the black community would have followed suit (or maybe not; just a hunch).

I do remember Justin being pulled as a co-host of the Soul Train Awards a week or so after Nipplegate occurred because it was feared he would be booed by the black audience inside the theater. So yeah, it did take a while for it to blow over with black folks at the time (if not for very long).

by Anonymousreply 16003/14/2013

Give it up already, Janet troll. No one gives a shit about that incident from the past.

Why does everyone say he's so fake or shallow? He sings with a lot of emotion so I don't see how that's shallow. Is it because his songs are still about hitting on chicks in clubs? He's a pop/wannabe r&b singer, what's he supposed to sing about? The misery of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 16103/14/2013

Please I know someone had him? That dude at least let some dude suck him off. He pings with cupid wings.

Stories...?

by Anonymousreply 16203/15/2013

treply 146t

by Anonymousreply 16303/15/2013

R160 What I find funny is how JT likes to act black and use black culture, yet he has no black friends. Remember pictures of the guests at his wedding? Not only did I see no black guests, but there was the whole homeless black guy with bad teeth "joke" video that one of his friends played.

That's why I don't understand why black people are stupid enough to like him.

by Anonymousreply 16403/15/2013

[quote]Give it up already, Janet troll. No one gives a shit about that incident from the past.

Give what up? The fact that he treated her like shit? It's in the past--you're right, but it still leaves a nasty taste in one's mouth. Besides, who are you, his mother? Go sit on an N'SYNC doll.

by Anonymousreply 16503/15/2013

R164 Black people stopped caring about him years ago. Stop spreading lies. Thicke is loved in the R&B community. Timberlake is seen as a fake.

Timberlake's audience is suburban upper middle class whites, who think his bullshit is edgy. Former frat and sorority girls who now dance to Sexyback at weddings.

by Anonymousreply 16603/15/2013

Didn't Mr. and Mrs. Z go to his wedding, R164? What about Pharrell?

by Anonymousreply 16703/15/2013

I loved it when Prince, several years ago, snarkily remarked "Sexy never left" when asked what he thought about Justin's "SexyBack" song. Justin was reportedly miffed (and yet he sampled the drums to Prince's "The Beautiful Ones" in his song "'Til the End of Time".

by Anonymousreply 16803/15/2013

Who cares, R168? Prince is ugly. He never had sexy, front or back.

by Anonymousreply 16903/15/2013

[quote]Who cares, [R168]? Prince is ugly. He never had sexy, front or back.

It's not about "who cares?" It was funny, and dead-on. Prince is a legend. Justin Timberlake is not. He was also performing before JT was even a tingle in his daddy's nutsack, and he's written songs that make Justin Timberlake's music sound like the soundtrack to Romper Room. There is no comparison. And whether or not Prince is sexy is subjective.

by Anonymousreply 17003/15/2013

Prince is gone.

by Anonymousreply 17103/15/2013

Prince's legacy speaks for itself. Justin Timberlake is not now nor will he ever be Prince. Hell, he's not even in Robin Thicke's league looks or talent-wise.

by Anonymousreply 17203/15/2013

He's no Steve.

by Anonymousreply 17303/15/2013

R172 R170 R168 R165 R154 R150 R147 R117 R123

We get it. You hate Justin Timberlake. Now why don't you go give Usher or Prince a blow job.

by Anonymousreply 17403/15/2013

Wow, R174. Bothered enough by my posts that you just had to go and point them all out, eh?

by Anonymousreply 17503/16/2013

R175 I didn't think so many people (9) hated JT with such vehemence, and it turned out I was right. It was one of you, not nine of you.

BTW, I'm now listening to the whole album for the first time, and it's much better than I imagined it would be.

My only complaint: I wish these rap producerz would stop overlaying everything with fake LP ticky-pop SFX.

I love Mr. JT, R175. As 4 U, U go blo Printz or Usher or JZ now. Choke on one of them. But run along. This not a thread for U, R175.

by Anonymousreply 17603/16/2013

[quote]I didn't think so many people (9) hated JT with such vehemence

Really? Then you should get out more, because he is not as beloved as you think. I don't hate the man, because hate is a strong word and I don't know him. What I've been commenting on is that I thought it was a shitty thing he did to Janet after the SB, and that most of his music, to me, is not impressive. You would be able to see this if you weren't such a blind cheerleader for Mr. Timberlake. He apologized for how he treated Janet, which was good but, as I said, the act itself still leaves a nasty taste in one's mouth.

Now, let's look at an episode of PUNK'D that had JT crying for his mom...

by Anonymousreply 17703/16/2013

Is R177 Janbot in disguise?

by Anonymousreply 17803/16/2013

Oh, dear precious R177 and all your other Rs in R174). What to do. What to say.

I saw the PUNK'D ep when it was on, and it was no more or no less pussifying than anyone else's PUNK'D moment.

Also, seriously -- and I think I already asked this -- WTF should JT have done about the Wardrobe Malfunction? Why was the woman wearing removable portions of brassiere in the first place? (I'm obviously not as intimately familiar with the incident as you.)

As for the music you like v. the music I like, well, we could argue about that forever. But instead of coming here and trashing him, couldn't you go to the thread of someone you like and say something positive about him/her/them? Truly, you won't see me going to Janet Jackson threads and bitching about how awful she is. Same goes for Usher or JZ or Enema or whoever the hell else you were raving about upthread.

I mean, really, it's at least 10 posts now. You're beginning to sound like -- no, you're firmly established as -- a fucking Anti-Timberlake LOON.

by Anonymousreply 17903/16/2013

[quote]Same goes for Usher or JZ or Enema or whoever the hell else you were raving about upthread.

Um, I never mentioned Jay-Z or Eminem (I'm assuming that's who you meant) because I don't listen to their music either.

[quote]WTF should JT have done about the Wardrobe Malfunction?

Well, for starters, he shouldn't have been raving about the performance one day and then the next saying he was ashamed and then distancing himself from it and her. Even he owned up to his bad behavior years later.

by Anonymousreply 18003/16/2013

Nice videography. Shitty song.

by Anonymousreply 18103/16/2013

[quote]Um, I never mentioned Jay-Z or Eminem (I'm assuming that's who you meant) because I don't listen to their music either.

I must have mixed you up with another hater. Sorry.

[quote]Well, for starters, he shouldn't have been raving about the performance one day and then the next saying he was ashamed and then distancing himself from it and her.[/quote]I guess I don't understand why this is such a big deal. I mean, do YOU know how the thing came to pass? I sure don't. I just think of it as yet another moment in pop cultural bad taste, not something to be obsessed with a decade after the fact.

[quote]Even he owned up to his bad behavior years later.

Yet YOU can't let it go.

by Anonymousreply 18203/16/2013

This is what you get when it's all style and no substance.

I think Timberlake's a talented actor and a natural comic. But his music always seemed cold and artificial to me.

by Anonymousreply 18303/16/2013

Christ. I'm listening to a Dublin pop radio station and a commercial for his CD just played. Can't get away from this fucker.

by Anonymousreply 18403/16/2013

I hardly ever use the word douchebag but I have to say it's the word I think of first when ever I see him. He IS smug and comes off as being an asshole and disloyal. It wasn't much of a stretch for him to play Sean Parker. I watch Jimmy Fallon just about every night but I was tempted to tune out this past week because Timberfake was scheduled to be on all week. The one good musical performance he gave was Push Lover Girl. He looked relaxed and was just singing and doing his little dance moves. It worked. But I have to say, the rest of the time the fabulous band, back up singers and dancers seemed to be doing all the work. He just kind of stood there singing in a weak falsetto. I guess that is what passes for "soulful" today. What really surprised me was how pissy he was with Jimmy at the end of Friday's show. This guy gave his so called friend a forum to promote his latest product for FIVE nights and he acted like he didn't like Jimmy at all. Fallon looked really hurt. I think he's jealous of Jimmy's sucess. And Jimmy can do Timberfake as well as Timberfake. It was just classless. Jessica Biel will be a crying a river in about five years.

by Anonymousreply 18503/16/2013

How did timberlake express this lack of affection for jimmy Fallon? And are you sure it wasn't a joke.

Seeing new vids of him singing live reminds me why I used to want to fuck the living shit out of him.

by Anonymousreply 18603/16/2013

I thought he was nice enough with Fallon. He said on Monday or Tuesday that he was sick enough to be taking some really strong drugs.

by Anonymousreply 18703/16/2013

It's hard to explain, r186. He was aloof and acted too cool for school. Fallon told him it was great having him on the show for the past week and he responded with a tepid "yeah". Actually, more of a "meh". It just looks like Fallon is more invested in the friendship. I could be projecting, but it didn't look like Quest Love was feeling Timberfake either. I don't find him sexy or even sensual. He often dances around like a friend of Dorothy but not in a good way. Kind of how Stefon would dance. Nellie doesn't do it for me I quess.

by Anonymousreply 18803/16/2013

[quote]He often dances around like a friend of Dorothy but not in a good way. Kind of how Stefon would dance.

Lol

by Anonymousreply 18903/16/2013

I watched SNL again. I liked it even more the second time around. I'm also enjoying "Suit & Tie."

by Anonymousreply 19003/16/2013

Yes, but what about his dancing, r190. Doesn't he seem a bit light in the loafers?

by Anonymousreply 19103/17/2013

Just light enough, R191. Just light enough.

Can't wait until Tuesday so I can get my "special" CD at Target WITH TWO EXTRA TRACKS. Woo-hoo!

by Anonymousreply 19203/17/2013

No matter my thoughts on JT as a person or an artist I really think he is great dancer. The choreography for "Suit and Tie" on SNL was so good, too. I enjoyed that performance.

by Anonymousreply 19303/17/2013

Did you watch it again last night, R193? If not, here it is again. If so, here it is again.

by Anonymousreply 19403/17/2013

This is all about celebrating the Closet. You won't see anyone inviting Lance Bass to host anything.

by Anonymousreply 19503/17/2013

Thanks for that, R194.

by Anonymousreply 19603/17/2013

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 19703/17/2013

Troll-dar r177, then go to this link. It's the Janet Jackson thread. It's janbot on here spamming the thread with their Justin Timberlake hate. In fact, on the thread linked, janbot even signs her name. Friggin' loon.

by Anonymousreply 19803/17/2013

Jay Z pretty much saved the duet and is no doubt carrying the bigger end of this tour. The guy is a rap legend with a big fanbase.

Timberlake? Meh. Michael Jackson didn't have to work so hard to make his albums such an event, and he certainly wouldn't have been reduced to co-hosting a late night talk show for a week to hock it.

by Anonymousreply 19903/17/2013

R195 - I agree with you. When Jews ran Hollywood they made so many movies that were really unJewish because they made money, and made people forget that the studios were run by Jews. Now that money scheme is happening with gays. We know he is probably a closet case. But he makes more money if we don't really know because then his audience can project onto him anything they like.

That then begs the question: is he really happy in private or his act a shameless way to say what the fuck do I care. As long as we buy it he will sell it.

by Anonymousreply 20003/17/2013

Jay-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I wish there were a Z-free version of "Suit & Tie."

by Anonymousreply 20103/17/2013

Hate the game, r195, not the player.

And Lance Bass is talentless, why would anyone have him on?

by Anonymousreply 20203/18/2013

You won't see anyone inviting Lance Bass because he is UGLY. Not interesting ugly like Margaret Hamilton, who was so ugly she made a career out of it.

Not Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island or Bailey from WKRP in Cincinnati ugly, but UGLY, UGLY, UGLY, everyday ordinarily ugly.

by Anonymousreply 20303/18/2013

Justin is getting hotter with age! And more flaming too.

by Anonymousreply 20403/18/2013

[quote]Justin, Bruno Mars called and he wants his act back.

Frankly I don't get the hype surrounding Justin and SNL. Bruno Mars was every bit as good when he hosted several months ago (complete with dead-on impressions of other famous people) but has yet to receive even a third of the praise Timberfake has enjoyed (and likely never will).

[quote]Who cares, [R168]? Prince is ugly. He never had sexy, front or back.

And I can't believe someone actually had the gall to even post this statement. Seriously? No, Prince just had the one thing Timberfake has never had and never will and that's TALENT -- the talent to write his own music (and not have other people hired by record execs to write it for him like Timberfake), play all the instruments, and go out on stage and perform without needing other people up there to do all the heavy lifting while he prances around as a distraction to keep them from focusing on the fact he's a great big phony (like Timberfake). Prince has also written many of the most famous songs in pop music history (and if you're stupid enough to doubt this, please google), all of which will stand the test of time, which is more than Timberfake will ever write in his life. He also won an Academy Award for writing one of the best soundtracks in movie history, an accomplishment Timberfake would need an entire staff to do for him (and then step aside so he could take the credit, of course).

Seriously, you Timberfake trolls need to STOP. You are always crowing about the Janet trolls and yet how are you any different? The only thing that would render you any less tiresome would be if you are not really here as his fans but on his payroll to post all of this idiotic nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 20503/18/2013

Looks like the Janet troll has taken on Prince as well!

Seriously though, I love some of Prince's stuff. There's no comparison between Prince & JT because they are totally different types of stars. (Maybe Prince was once something of a heartthrob a million years ago? But not in the modern era.)

Don't kid yourself that JT doesn't have talent just because he's a hot piece of ass. He's very talented.

by Anonymousreply 20603/18/2013

[quote]Looks like the Janet troll has taken on Prince as well!

He's not the Janet troll, I am.

by Anonymousreply 20703/18/2013

"Justin, Bruno Mars called and he wants his act back."

"Frankly I don't get the hype surrounding Justin and SNL. Bruno Mars was every bit as good when he hosted several months ago (complete with dead-on impressions of other famous people) but has yet to receive even a third of the praise Timberfake has enjoyed (and likely never will)."

Agree with these posts. It's ashame that Timberlake is getting this attention. Bruno is the man. Not that fugly in the closet sissy boy bander.

by Anonymousreply 20803/18/2013

Justin is cuter than Bruno Mars. Bruno Mars is a better songwriter than Justin. Maybe Bruno should write for Justin, and we'd have the best of both worlds.

Oh, and R206, the vicious cunt known as R205 is not the Janet Bot. She is her own hot mess.

I tried to like Prince years ago. Didn't work. Couldn't get it up for him musically (or otherwise).

by Anonymousreply 20903/18/2013

"No one is paying money anymore to develop talent. The GREATS just don't happen. It takes millions of dollars and years."

HUH? What the hell are you talking about?! Today's music culture is all about style over substance, music takes a backseat to a recording artist's image and the relentless hype and focus on whether or not they are photogenic always overrides whatever abilities/talent a singer/musician might have.

I'm pretty sure the record companies who brought the world Hendrix, Dylan and the Beatles, to name a few....did not spend millions on their development....these musicians already had their talent and style when they were discovered. The big plus is that these musicians were also composers, they didn't need a legion of people to write ONE song!

Most performers' music and style in the 60s and 70s happened organically, not all musicians had a legion of stylists, hairdressers etc to form their 'image'. Sure, once the performer got famous, then the designers, hairstylists etc of the day, started to court them, but there was very little developing back in the day! btw, did you know that Betsey Johnson helped the Velvet Underground a bit with their style? She was married to John Cale for awhile, Betsey told them to wear more black.

Today, 'music' is pretty much 85%-95% hype, the actual music is like an afterthought. It's all about creating an image for the artist, their image usually supercedes the music. Every record and tour has to have a 'theme', thanks to style-over-substance performers like Madonna, attending a concert is like watching a Las Vegas revue.

Let's not forget, it's quite diffucult to be truly original when everything has been done before. I really enjoy Jack White's, fuck you attitude. The White Stripes ended, he then started two new bands, they did well, but he didn't continue with them, he refuses to be put into a musical corner.

Today's music fans also need to understand there was no MTV and social media back when a musician's success was based on raw talent. Most performers needed to have talent first before their image and the accompanying hype was cultivated, unfortunately, today image and controversy seems to come first.

Perfect examples are that annoying twit Justin Bieber, I don't get him at all, whatever talent he has is minimal, his fans get involved in all the nonsense surrounding his career, who cares. Apparently a certain demographic, which is constantly fed this sort of hype and now expects it, believes this not-too-bright sub par singer has true talent.

The same goes for the equally annoying always pouting airhead Taylor Swift, to her fan base, her love life seems to be just as important as her so-called 'music'.

by Anonymousreply 21003/19/2013

Bruno Mars writes better songs?! I don't know all his stuff but I do remember a couple of fucking annoying songs about "I'd catch a grenade for yuh" and wanting to be a "billionaire."

Plus isn't Bruno closeted too? And Prince, to what degree is he out?

Stop with the comparisons. There's room in the music industry for all these people.

by Anonymousreply 21103/19/2013

So reasonable minds can disagree on whether Bruno or Justin makes better pop music. Meanwhile much of the shit Justin is taking here is for being closeted. Far as I know, Bruno Mars isn't out either. Why is it okay for him? Or Prince, who has nothing to lose in terms of his career or legacy from coming out.

I'm not trying to defend the closet btw, just calling out the haters.

by Anonymousreply 21303/19/2013

I know you people hate Adam Lambert but his last CD Trespassing was way way better than JT's new CD. I don't get the hype either.

by Anonymousreply 21403/19/2013

I listened to the 20/20 CD for free three times on iTune. The more I listened the more it bored me. Suit and Tie is okay and will get plenty of airplay. I just wish it didn't have that totally useless rap in the middle. Mirror will be another one that could be a hit but the rest of the material is mediocre. It's not going to be the blockbuster he was hoping for. And he's in dire risk of over exposure before the tour even begins. However, unlike the kamikaze PR effort for Beyonce's tour and forthcoming CD, I don't find Timberlake's ubiquitous presence in commercials, on late night tv or on SNL as offensive. He's certainly more talented and entertaining than the self appointed Queen B.

by Anonymousreply 21503/19/2013

[quote]I wish there were a Z-free version of "Suit & Tie."

Is there a version available? Can't stand the no-talent Jay-Z. I like the album, especially Mirrors and Strawberry Bubblegum. Justin's vocals are really smooth in this album.

by Anonymousreply 21603/19/2013

Does anyone own the Target version? Are the extra songs worth getting?

by Anonymousreply 21703/19/2013

[quote]Perfect examples are that annoying twit Justin Bieber, I don't get him at all, whatever talent he has is minimal, his fans get involved in all the nonsense surrounding his career, who cares. Apparently a certain demographic, which is constantly fed this sort of hype and now expects it, believes this not-too-bright sub par singer has true talent.

I guess you have to be a teen girl to like him. Bieber is getting treated like he's the next Michael Jackson, and he certainly doesn't have half the talent.

by Anonymousreply 21803/19/2013

[quote]Jay Z pretty much saved the duet and is no doubt carrying the bigger end of this tour. The guy is a rap legend with a big fanbase.

This is a joke, right?

by Anonymousreply 21903/19/2013

"I guess you have to be a teen girl to like him. Bieber is getting treated like he's the next Michael Jackson, and he certainly doesn't have half the talent."

The BIG difference between Michael Jackson, and even The Jackson Five, the sort of pop they created was accessible to different demographics! The music was enjoyed by different age and socio-economic groups.

When I was a kid my parents even enjoyed The Jackson Five, The Beatles etc, many of the musicians of the past transcended their core audience because their music was so good and well crafted!

The proof is: people are still listening to Motown, The Beatles etc today!

by Anonymousreply 22003/19/2013

I like Pusher Love and Let the Groove In (or something). Neither of them sound like any other pop music to me. Maybe pop is headed in a new direction.

20/20 goes at that vibe everyone talked about in Lovestoned on FSLS - songs are jazzy, long, divided into distinct musical parts. Self conciously operatic - popera?

Some boring stuff on there too but that could grow on me if I keep hearing it with the stuff I like.

by Anonymousreply 22103/19/2013

It's such a new sound.

by Anonymousreply 22203/19/2013

This thread is not about Justin Bieber, keep up gramps at r218.

And Sonia Muckle, get out of here with that meme blaming JayZ for the first single being a dud.

by Anonymousreply 22303/19/2013

Fuck You asshole @ R223.

Justine Beaver, Justine Wood Pond...it's ALL CALCULATED POSEUR POP TRASH, which music executives come up with in boardrooms to separate YOU from your MONEY.

These already OVERPAID 'musicians' can buy YET ANOTHER MANSION thanks to MORONS like YOU.

ENJOY WASTING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY YOU EARN FOLDING SWEATERS AT THE GAP!

Remember you dumb twink, we are ALL going to get old AND DIE, no ONE gets any YOUNGER, MORON!

EACH DAY we are ALL closer to DEATH.

by Anonymousreply 22403/19/2013

Wow sorry, didn't mean to hit a nerve. I was just joking anyway. No need to start raving about death in a popstar thread!

by Anonymousreply 22503/19/2013

Anyway slightly more on topic, I want to know who's been fucking Timberlake all these years. You know it hasn't been his beard. But there are so few stories out there. The only one I remember hearing was Enrique Iglesias.

by Anonymousreply 22603/19/2013

Please stop telling those of us who don't consider JayZzzz worthy of our praise to stop saying it, r223. If you like him, fine. But the constant whining that we just don't understand how great a rapper he is is just bullshit. There is absolutely nothing original about him. No wonder Nas hates his guts. If you want to talk about great then bow down to Tupac. A true talent. JayZ lacks any semblance of musicality. His raps are boring. Just rat a tat tat barrage of meaningless words. And he has absolutely no stage presence or sense of theatrics. But then neither does his audience so it's a match made in mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 22703/19/2013

I will never understand a thread that disses Jay-Z but praises Justin Timberake. Justin Timberlake?? Fraus have indeed invaded DL.

by Anonymousreply 22803/19/2013

Fraus aren't the only ones who prefer hot guys

by Anonymousreply 22903/19/2013

I'm better than Timberfake with this retro shit

by Anonymousreply 23003/19/2013

Have you heard Bieber's last release? He has a very average voice, and has very limited vocal range. Horrendously overrated.

by Anonymousreply 23103/19/2013

Jay-Z has no talent whatsoever, that's why it's easy to diss him.

by Anonymousreply 23203/19/2013

If only it were as easy to miss him, R232. Please, *someone* come and get JZzzzzz off my JT album.

by Anonymousreply 23303/19/2013

[quote]Please, *someone* come and get JZzzzzz off my JT album.

Funny, but many JT fans in twitter agree.

by Anonymousreply 23403/19/2013

Barney Stinson is SO jealous he didn't get to record "Suit and Tie."

by Anonymousreply 23503/19/2013

Iink?, r234. I'd like to read some of those posts on Twitter. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 23603/19/2013

For anyone who is interested he's on WPIX right now. I Heart Radio's release party for his CD. I think if you watch this you won't have to spend a wad on a ticket to one of his shows. Hope JayZzz stayed home.

by Anonymousreply 23703/19/2013

Talk about overexposed. He's desperately shilling this album like he doesn't know where his next paycheck is coming from.

by Anonymousreply 23803/19/2013

The Target commercial with the "fans" is so phoney.

by Anonymousreply 23903/19/2013

Wow, he got the big names to show up for the party. (tee hee hee)

by Anonymousreply 24003/19/2013

His face should be heard and not seen.

by Anonymousreply 24103/19/2013

Heard some of his S&T on radio yesterday. He sounds like a little boy sitting in his room playing with sock puppets.

His only real competition is Alvin and the Chipmunks.

by Anonymousreply 24203/19/2013

Does anyone see ads at the bottom of the 1st pages?

I think I have a virus on my computer

by Anonymousreply 24303/19/2013

Use your anti-virus, and do a scan.

by Anonymousreply 24403/19/2013

[quote]For anyone who is interested he's on WPIX right now. I Heart Radio's release party for his CD. I think if you watch this you won't have to spend a wad on a ticket to one of his shows. Hope JayZzz stayed home.

JZzz stayed home. Justin performed "Suit & Tie" without the rap, and it was perfect!

by Anonymousreply 24503/19/2013

[quote]Does anyone see ads at the bottom of the 1st pages? I think I have a virus on my computer

I guess I have the same virus.

by Anonymousreply 24603/19/2013

Wait a minute. You ready, JT?

I can't wait 'til I get you on the floor, good-looking Going hot, so hot, just like an oven And I'll burn myself, but just had to touch it But it's so fire and it's all mine Hey baby, we don't mind all the watching, ha Cause if they study close, real close They might learn something She ain't nothing but a little doozie when she does it She's so fire tonight

And as long as I got my suit and tie I'ma leave it all on the floor tonight And you got fixed up to the nines Let me show you a few things All pressed up in black and white And you're dressed in that dress I like Love is swinging in the air tonight Let me show you a few things Let me show you a few things Show you a few things about love Now we're in the swing of love Let me show you a few things Show you a few things about love Hey

Stop, let me get a good look at it Oh, so thick, now I know why they call it a fatty And aww, shit's so sick, got a hit and picked up a habit But that's alright, cause you're all mine Awww, go on and show 'em who you call "Daddy" I guess they're just mad cause girl, they wish they had it Oh, my killer, my thriller, yeah, you're a classic And you're all mine tonight

And as long as I got my suit and tie I'ma leave it all on the floor tonight And you got fixed up to the nines Let me show you a few things All pressed up in black and white And you're dressed in that dress I like Love is swinging in the air tonight Let me show you a few things Let me show you a few things Show you a few things about love Now we're in the swing of love Let me show you a few things Show you a few things about love

by Anonymousreply 24703/19/2013

OMG, I love that!!

by Anonymousreply 24803/20/2013

I tried to listen to the full album but I had to stop halfway. It was too laborious to listen to

by Anonymousreply 24903/20/2013

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 25003/20/2013

Maybe Justin Timberlake will release "Suit & Tie" remixed without that stupid rap. Thank GAWD J-Zzzz isn't on the rest of the album.

by Anonymousreply 25103/20/2013

Send him an email, R251. I did.

support@justintimberlake.com

by Anonymousreply 25203/20/2013

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.

by Anonymousreply 25303/20/2013

Thanks, r252! 👍

by Anonymousreply 25403/20/2013

I'd rather have an e-mail addy for Sarah Palin. It would be fun to share a few views with that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25503/20/2013

You're going to have to find that one on your own, R255.

by Anonymousreply 25603/20/2013

R217, I just listened to the two Target tracks, and I like them more than some other songs on the album. I think it's worth it to wait until you go to Target. Plus it was only $9.99.

Someone else "raps" on the first of the two tracks, Jay-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I suppose. A much deeper voice than Justin's.

by Anonymousreply 25703/20/2013

"Stop, let me get a good look at it Oh, so thick, now I know why they call it a fatty"

So "fatty" is labia majora? Sorry, I haven't read this whole thread if this has already been discussed.

"Awww, go on and show 'em who you call "Daddy""

This twerp is considered a "daddy" to the ladies?

by Anonymousreply 25803/20/2013

I'm surprised this thread is so long and I didn't know gays liked this clown so much. What exactly has he done for gay rights again???

by Anonymousreply 25903/20/2013

Prince of Pop:

***Justin Timberlake's new "The 20/20 Experience" album is selling at an extraordinary rate in the U.S. Industry sources are forecasting that the pop super star's set could sell as many as 750,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, March 24. That number could even grow larger -- with 800,000 seemingly within range -- as the week progresses.***

by Anonymousreply 26003/20/2013

R260 Who on earth is buying all those albums? Is he popular with teens or is it the 30-something soccer moms who want to re-live the late 90's/early 00's?

by Anonymousreply 26103/20/2013

R258, fatty is a term for a girl's butt and also for a fat blunt. The new album has lots of double entendre drug references.

by Anonymousreply 26203/20/2013

Oh, R261, you're not even close. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 26303/20/2013

750,000 copies? Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 26403/20/2013

[quote][R217], I just listened to the two Target tracks, and I like them more than some other songs on the album. I think it's worth it to wait until you go to Target. Plus it was only $9.99.

Oh, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 26503/20/2013

[quote]I'm surprised this thread is so long and I didn't know gays liked this clown so much. What exactly has he done for gay rights again???

Does every singer have to attend the Gay and Lesbian Alliance?

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 26603/20/2013

20/20 is currently #1 on iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 26703/20/2013

his music is awful. his label is probably buying the majority of the albums being "sold" this week.

by Anonymousreply 26803/20/2013

Cursory listen to the album says it's at least as strong as FS/LS, probably better, but nothing comes near "My Love".

But what the fuck is up with those epic song times and interludes and introludes? That has made a mess of the album, more so than it mired his last one.

What is this, he's not a prog rock artist, what a pretentious little shit. It's pop music and he's blowing it up into something as if it's so above that. Big mistake.

This has the overlong song times of his mentor Jacko, structured like the interlude mess we're accustomed to by his sister with the unwarranted pretension of Aguilera or Beyonce. There are some good tunes in there but getting them out is the problem.

by Anonymousreply 26903/20/2013

[quote]Cursory listen to the album says it's at least as strong as FS/LS, probably better, but nothing comes near "My Love".

It would be impossible to outdo "My Love"...it was a near perfect song. I personally think 20/20 will be Timberlake's greatest achievement in music history. Justin is also releasing Part 2 of 20/20 this November.

by Anonymousreply 27003/20/2013

Really, no one has heard anything else about guys Timberlake has hooked up with? How does he keep it so quiet?

by Anonymousreply 27103/20/2013

What guys did Timberlake hooked up with? My GAWD.

by Anonymousreply 27203/20/2013

I'm liking 20/20 more each time I listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 27303/20/2013

has anyone noticed he looks like stephen colbert? imagine some spectacles on him. LMMFAO!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27403/21/2013

I love "Mirrors"! And, feel like singing it to my gays:

Aren't you somethin' to admire? Cause your shine is somethin' like a mirror And I can't help but notice You reflect in this heart of mine If you ever feel alone and The glare makes me hard to find Just know that I'm always Parallel on the other side

Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go Just put your hand on the glass I'm here tryin' to pull you through You just gotta be strong

I don't wanna lose you now I'm lookin' right at the other half of me The vacancy that sat in my heart Is a space that now you hold Show me how to fight for now And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy Comin' back here to you once I figured it out You were right here all along

It's like you're my mirror My mirror staring back at me I couldn't get any bigger With anyone else beside me And now it's clear as this promise That we're making Two reflections into one Cause it's like you're my mirror My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me

Aren't you somethin', an original Cause it doesn't seem merely assembled And I can't help but stare, cause I see truth somewhere in your eyes I can't ever change without you You reflect me, I love that about you And if I could, I Would look at us all the time

Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go Just put your hand on the glass I'm here tryin' to pull you through You just gotta be strong

I don't wanna lose you now I'm lookin' right at the other half of me The vacancy that sat in my heart Is a space that now you hold Show me how to fight for now And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy Comin' back here to you once I figured it out You were right here all along

It's like you're my mirror My mirror staring back at me I couldn't get any bigger With anyone else beside me And now it's clear as this promise That we're making Two reflections into one Cause it's like you're my mirror My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me

Yesterday is history Tomorrow's a mystery I can see you lookin' back at me Keep your eyes on me Baby, keep your eyes on me

You are, you are the love of my life

Baby, you're the inspiration for this precious song And I just wanna see your face light up since you put me on So now I say goodbye to the old me, it's already gone And I can't wait wait wait wait wait to get you home Just to let you know, you are

Girl you're my reflection, all I see is you My reflection, in everything I do You're my reflection and all I see is you My reflection, in everything I do

by Anonymousreply 27503/21/2013

Lawd, he do go on.

by Anonymousreply 27603/21/2013

Colbert?

by Anonymousreply 27703/21/2013

He actually looks handsome in that picture, r277.

by Anonymousreply 27803/21/2013

Go figure r278

by Anonymousreply 27903/21/2013

I like the interlude where he whispers, "Be a good boy and put this on."

by Anonymousreply 28003/21/2013

OMG, what song does he say that on, r280??

by Anonymousreply 28103/21/2013

He is absolutely trying to replicate Robin Thicke's look and sound. And it looks like he's pulling it off. Thicke has to be pissed. I wonder if the second half of 20/20 will have a JayZZZless version of Suit and Tie?

by Anonymousreply 28203/21/2013

[quote]I like the interlude where he whispers, "Be a good boy and put this on."

Sounds like his old pal Tranet. Remember the song where he dissed her AND Prince? Don't care for Janet much anymore, but all the same he showed his douche colours there.

And I can't believe people here were dissing Prince and Stevie in favour of him. Are we overrun with 12 year olds now? That would make most music fans sick. I like JT music but come the fuck on.

by Anonymousreply 28303/21/2013

Comparisons are not dissing and who mentioned Stevie.

I mean, I love Stevie but that doesn't mean I can't like other singers or compare them to him.

by Anonymousreply 28403/21/2013

[quote]I like the interlude where he whispers, "Be a good boy and put this on."

Oh, he went there did he? First betray and then steal from. Janet says the exact same thing in the interlude before "If" on the janet. album.

[quote]Tranet.

You could only WISH to be as beautiful as Janet. Stay pressed.

by Anonymousreply 28503/21/2013

I think that was a joke, r285.

by Anonymousreply 28603/21/2013

A mean one, r286. He's a pissy little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28703/21/2013

On no day of my life have I ever wished I looked like one of the Jacksons. I think I shall do the same for the rest of the days of my life.

by Anonymousreply 28803/21/2013

Spoken like the liar that you are, R288. Again, stay pressed.

by Anonymousreply 28903/21/2013

Riiiiiiiiight, Janbot. Right.

by Anonymousreply 29003/21/2013

Oh god, that's some stupid ONTD shit.

Stay pressed! Haters gonna hate! Haters to the left!

by Anonymousreply 29103/21/2013

Wtf does "stay pressed" mean?

by Anonymousreply 29203/21/2013

Stay annoyed R292.

by Anonymousreply 29303/21/2013

That is one fuckingly stupid saying. Same for "Haters gonna hate!"

by Anonymousreply 29403/21/2013

How DARE you hate Janet Jackson, she's the Queen of Pop!

Btw, the second half of 20/20 will have a jazz flavor to it.

by Anonymousreply 29503/21/2013

I'd like to hear him rock out a little more. He's done it on Fallon and sounded great.

by Anonymousreply 29603/21/2013

Strawberry Bubblegum is so boss! And, Let The Groove In is so rad!!

by Anonymousreply 29703/21/2013

ROBIN THICKE RESPONDS TO JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE RIP-OFF CRITICISM

Singer says duet would be 'too much whiteness'

by Anonymousreply 29803/22/2013

Sales Update:

***As the days go by, the sales forecast for Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" continues to grow at an alarming rate.

Industry sources are now projecting that the pop star's album will sell over 800,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, March 24. It will easily secure Timberlake his second No. 1 solo album on the Billboard 200. The new chart's top 10 will be revealed on Wednesday, March 27.

"20/20," released Tuesday, March 19, is Timberlake's first album since 2006's "FutureSex/LoveSounds." With "20/20" on course for an 800,000-plus start, it will easily notch Timberlake's best sales week ever, bypassing "FutureSex's" debut of 684,000 (according to Nielsen SoundScan).

"20/20" will also instantly become the year's top selling album, eclipsing Mumford & Sons' "Babel," which has sold 631,000 this year.***

by Anonymousreply 29903/22/2013

Robin Thicke seems to be racist against white people. He's obsessed with blackness.

by Anonymousreply 30003/22/2013

Well,it's a nice change from being assaulted with daily images of whiteness my entire life,r300

by Anonymousreply 30103/22/2013

I'm surprised at the mass fawning you boys have over this smug face asshole!

Boycott his cd and concerts already! He is a smug face asshole! I wish his album tanks, and nobody shows up to his stupid concerts!

I want him to fail and go away for good!!

by Anonymousreply 30203/22/2013

Looks like Brit's off her meds again.

by Anonymousreply 30303/22/2013

[quote] “Have you ever seen the body?” Tom Ford, the designer, said by telephone from London, referring to a broad-shouldered, narrow-hipped physique that might represent the universal standard for male models. He was talking about Justin Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 30403/22/2013

Did anyone see his SXSW show? Did he rock out there?

by Anonymousreply 30503/22/2013

I thought SXSW was for hipsters (the Lumineers, the Decembrists).

by Anonymousreply 30603/22/2013

Beneath it's snow and golden meadows rings

The unborn glass lies waiting for it's cold to bloom in spring

The little snowbird speaks to me of things

And prissy little flowers that will bloom again in Spring

When I was young my heart was younger too

And whatever I told it, it would certainly to do.

But now I take emptyness for the win

For the thing that I want most is the state I am in.

Spread your tiny wings and fly away

And take the snow back with you from whence you came upon that day

The one and only lover is untrue

And if I could you know that I would fly away with you.

by Anonymousreply 30703/22/2013

cosign OP by 10,000

mediocre to the max.

by Anonymousreply 30803/22/2013

Ne-Yo has got to be pissed with Justin for jacking his suit and tie thing:

by Anonymousreply 30903/22/2013

So, any guesses as to how much it will sell this week? 500k?

by Anonymousreply 31003/22/2013

I get a "Halo" vibe to "Mirrors". As well as Coldplay's "The Scientist" with the ad libs at the end.

I can see why it struck a chord, it went straight to #1 in the UK after his Brits performance before the album was available as an iTunes pre-order so that's where the sales are coming from.

by Anonymousreply 31103/22/2013

Industry prediction is 800-850,000 albums sold. One of the biggest openings in the past ten years.

by Anonymousreply 31203/22/2013

Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 31303/22/2013

Rolling Stone Magazine gave Timberlake's 20/20 album ****4 1/2 stars, and many, many Grammy Awards. They rated it Best Album of the Year!

by Anonymousreply 31403/22/2013

I hope Timbaland is making his fair share of the loot on this thing.

by Anonymousreply 31503/22/2013

Best album of the year? The year just started.

by Anonymousreply 31603/22/2013

Billboard now says "20/20" is now pushing toward 900,000 for debut week:

by Anonymousreply 31703/22/2013

I love how the album balances oldschool R&B with futuristic R&B. I have to give Timbaland his props. There are hardly any samples on this album. Everything sounds so innovative. I also really enjoyed the Mirrors music video. I love how it chronicled his grandparents' love story. I shed a few tears watching it. It's so heartfelt.

by Anonymousreply 31803/22/2013

I hope Sonia pays you well r318! But the album is good, been listening to it for days.

by Anonymousreply 31903/23/2013

Best album of the year r316? It's fucking MARCH!

by Anonymousreply 32003/23/2013

I think 20/20 is the most imaginative album in quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 32103/23/2013

I think the Mirrors video is highly emotional too.

by Anonymousreply 32203/23/2013

Blue Ocean Floor is such a heavenly song. It's not as entertaining as the rest but it truly is the stand-out of this album. It isn't often that a song takes my breath away. This song did just that. The serenity is marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 32303/23/2013

I love "Blue Ocean Floor," too R323. Talk about atmospheric.

by Anonymousreply 32403/23/2013

When you scratch Justin Timberlake, you get that styrofoam stuff that comes in boxes to fill them up. Same with his music.

If he can't whore himself out as a genius, he has nothing to do with you. He'll dump a charity if he can't see it as a good PR move. He knows his audience is full of fraus and pederasts who remember him as their first wet "paper boy" dream, so he knows they are safe because they are in a state of arrested development mentally. I haven't met a black or hispanic yet who is even remotely interested in his hip hop schtick. He's a middle-class white boy trying to be hip and not pulling it off. If he actually went into the streets and tried to live a hip hop life, he'd be eaten alive, crying out for his mommy to come and save him.

by Anonymousreply 32503/23/2013

[quote] If he actually went into the streets and tried to live a hip hop life, he'd be eaten alive

What's wrong with that? So would I.

by Anonymousreply 32603/23/2013

R325 I agree. His fans are mostly fraus and white kids that want to copy black culture. Just like Eminem.

by Anonymousreply 32703/23/2013

Who gives a shit. He's hot and makes great music. Whatever he's up to, it's working.

by Anonymousreply 32803/23/2013

I agree with R325, R327, and R328. He is like a talented Pat Boone- think about it: Pat Boone was a white guy who used black music -cleaned up. And Boone was a white teen delight. There has always been a white guy using the black sound to sell to a wider white audience. Eminem, Bobby Darin, Elvis, even the Beatles. Talents may vary

The problem for Timberlake is where does his talent go. He seems better on the small screen than the large. His music isn't grown up. I don't really buy him as straight- or more to the point : I don't really buy him as a man. A Good boy- but still a boy. Maybe that is his one reminding quality- like Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison-he is a man child. There has always been money in that. And again talents may vary.

by Anonymousreply 32903/23/2013

Has Trace Ayala been fucking him this whole time? He's too short, Justin needs a real man to do the job right.

by Anonymousreply 33003/23/2013

I love "Blue Ocean Floor," too [R323]. Talk about atmospheric.

I didn't like the song at first, because I thought it was too slow. But now, it's actually my favorite song in the album.

by Anonymousreply 33103/23/2013

The tired and destructive separatist and essentialist rhetoric is tired and destructive.

Disregarding somebody else's life experience and redefining them only to serve your own notion of what is appropriate for their skin color is the essence of bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 33203/23/2013

[quote]Robin Thicke seems to be racist against white people. He's obsessed with blackness.

Well, accusing a white person of being racist against white people. Now I've heard everything.

by Anonymousreply 33303/23/2013

Does Robin Thicke like any white people?

by Anonymousreply 33403/24/2013

Rolling Stone? When has Rolling Stone been relevant or cool?

Does anyone remember the woeful Kill Whitey parties in Williamsburg, this is music for those vomit inducing lame people and their 13 year old kids. These are people who take their music cue from Pitchfork and of Rolling Stone is trying so hard to be Pitchfork.

by Anonymousreply 33503/24/2013

I really like "Blue Ocean Floor", too. It's atmospheric but also sad.

by Anonymousreply 33603/24/2013

Rolling Stone has lost all credibility with this .

by Anonymousreply 33703/24/2013

Robin Thicke is too bland. That's why the charismatic Timberlake has the bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 33803/24/2013

Maybe Robin Thicke doesn't want a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 33903/24/2013

R337, Rolling Stone hasn't had anything like credibility since sometime in the 1980s. And I like Justin's new album fine.

by Anonymousreply 34003/24/2013

Interesting Billboard article about JC Chasez.

I think as well as him not having Timbaland and the Neptunes, he just doesn't have the X Factor/cunt factor that Justin did.

Talent was never all that mattered in music, not since MTV came along anyway. Ambition and drive seem to be more important, along with image.

by Anonymousreply 34103/25/2013

I thought was Suit and Tie was forgettable but pleasant but Mirrors is a gorgeous track and made me check out the entire album. Count me in as a new fan.

by Anonymousreply 34203/25/2013

Mirrors is a wonderful song and video.

by Anonymousreply 34303/25/2013

Not getting the love for Mirrors, but there's some other awesome stuff on the album. Even Suit & Tie has grown on me.

by Anonymousreply 34403/25/2013

I like the lyrics for "Mirrors", more than the song itself.

by Anonymousreply 34503/25/2013

Pat Boone was a dreamboat. JT is FUG with a busted nose!

by Anonymousreply 34603/26/2013

"Talent was never all that mattered in music, not since MTV came along anyway. Ambition and drive seem to be more important, along with image."

Pay attention, r341. If you are a white male singer of Pop and not taken under the aegis of Jay-Z et al., you will not succeed to any great extent.

NOW do you get the "popularity" of Robin Thicke, Eminem, Bieber (Usher protege'), Timberlake (touring soon with Jay-Z), Adam Levine (duets with 50 cent and Alicia Keys), etc.?

by Anonymousreply 34703/26/2013

What are you saying, r347? That Jay Z is a powerful figure in the music industry? Not exactly a point in dispute.

by Anonymousreply 34803/26/2013

Jay-Zzzzz has no talent. Justin didn't need his stupid rap in Suit & Tie. The rest of the album is FABULOUS.

by Anonymousreply 34903/26/2013

[quote]Pat Boone was a dreamboat. JT is FUG with a busted nose!

Guys with big noses always have big cocks.

by Anonymousreply 35003/26/2013

Robin Thicke is only known to black audiences because his music is targeted only at true R&B fans. He's the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 35103/26/2013

Good for Robin Thicke, sounds like he's conquered that niche market - R&B purists. Meanwhile people all over the country are buying Justin's pop-r&b(?) album.

by Anonymousreply 35203/26/2013

No r352. They buy Justin's album, listen to it once, then forget about it as it gathers dust in an attic. Meanwhile, Robin's on his way to being known as Al Green's white son. He's only white guy black chicks are crushing on and he's actually cool and talented.

by Anonymousreply 35303/27/2013

I'm listening to 20/20 again today. Still digging it, though it would be nice if "That Girl" had been "That Boy."

by Anonymousreply 35403/27/2013

"Strawberry Bubblegum" sends me to 4 AM on a weekend night in 1978 (a very nice place to be).

by Anonymousreply 35603/27/2013

It sounds like he's saying "Shittin' Tie" instead of "Shirt and Tie."

by Anonymousreply 35703/27/2013

I'm shocked at how well the album did, it seemed the lukewarm reception to "Suit and Tie" and him being away for so long would have done him in. I never thought it would cross 900K, that's no not really heard of now unless it's a fourth quarter release.

But his quality/quantity and only recording when he felt inspired argument paid off big time. Plus he was never really "away". Whatever the case though it seemed low key it was a masterclass in promo which I'm sure people will copy. He even shifted physical product at Target with the Deluxe version which has a slightly less fug album cover.

I'd love to know how he came up with all this, cause from what I read they had 4 weeks booked to record. He must have been storing those songs. Also I thought Timbaland was spent after everybody used him in the mid 2000s, look at the poor work on the Vadge album. On name alone this would obviously sell, but I didn't expect this huge commercial/critical success. Too early to say but album of the year Grammy?

by Anonymousreply 35803/28/2013

I bought "Mirrors" and " Suit & Tie" after SNL a few weeks ago.

Mirrors will be a classic pop song;. Haunting like Bruno's "It Will Rain"

I can't stop singing frickin' suit and tie, even though its not that great. The choreography on SNL was good, though.

by Anonymousreply 35903/29/2013

I feel sorry for you and your generation if you think that song- which is all shallow id- is a soon to be classic. Haunting-lol- you means it sticks around like a bad smell. Why settle for such mediocre trash.

by Anonymousreply 36003/30/2013

Boy, you showed me r360!

I'm going to go take a good long look at myself.

Brb!

by Anonymousreply 36103/30/2013

[quote]ay-Zzzzz has no talent. Justin didn't need his stupid rap in Suit & Tie. The rest of the album is FABULOUS.

Actually, despite what the white kids are saying, the Jay-Z rap is the the only part of that song I like.

by Anonymousreply 36203/31/2013

Don't waste your time r362, all that Jay Z bashing comes from Justin's pr peeps trying to explain away the failure of the first single.

And drop your racial stereotyping too, Justin's pr and the rest of his backstage is pretty much all black. The only color that counts is green.

by Anonymousreply 36303/31/2013

Robin Thicke's new release "Blurred Lines" puts "Suit and Tie" in the shade. Awesome song, fun video and it all seems to come so naturally and effortless, he's not trying too hard.

Helps he's so much sexier ... those eyes *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 36403/31/2013

R364, if you move that video to its own Robin Thicke thread, maybe I'd listen to it.

Maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 36503/31/2013

The two were being compared r365. They both have new music out and I posted that to show how much better Thicke is.

by Anonymousreply 36603/31/2013

I think R364 posted in the right thread. Justin is getting away with ripping off both Thick and Mars. Why? I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 36703/31/2013

Well, I listened to it, R366, and you're right. I like it. I wasn't expecting that. He creeps me out because of how much like his father he looks. His father reminds me of a very creepy cousin of mine, so looking like him is no advantage for Thicke, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 36803/31/2013

r364, the unrated version of that video is much raunchier. The girls are nude/topless.

by Anonymousreply 36903/31/2013

I meant to say the video I posted at r364.

by Anonymousreply 37003/31/2013

Today's Stars: Packaging + Technology + (If we are lucky) Autotune

by Anonymousreply 37103/31/2013

I actually think Robin Thicke (who is much more gorgeous than Timberlake) resembles his mom Gloria Loring facially, moreso than his dad Alan Thicke. He does have his dad's coloring, hairiness and voice though.

by Anonymousreply 37203/31/2013

If you say so, R372. I'm not familiar with her; this is the first time I've even devoted a moment to Robin Thicke, let alone his family members.

by Anonymousreply 37304/01/2013

Robin Thicke and Justin Timberlake inhabit different music universes.

Anyway, the first rule of elder gay bitchery is: If someone says A is good, then I must insist A sucks and B is MUCH better.

by Anonymousreply 37404/01/2013

Don't mean to spam, but here's the uncensored version of that video ... Will never be allowed on TV.

"ROBIN THICKE HAS A BIG DICK" is on the wall LOL.

I can't start threads btw maybe if someone starts one I'll post there.

by Anonymousreply 37504/01/2013

[quote]Anyway, the first rule of elder gay bitchery is: If someone says A is good, then I must insist A sucks and B is MUCH better.

Only we're not comparing Timberlake to Pat Boone or the Bee Gees, but a CONTEMPORARY who he's clearly ripping off.

by Anonymousreply 37604/01/2013

That man is not your maker ... YEAH!

Pharell is like 40 years old but he looks literally half that.

by Anonymousreply 37704/01/2013

Justin is a style cameleon. Maybe right now he's getting rich rocking the robin thicke look (styled by Tom ford), but the next time he reappears on the scene it'll be something else.

There's no point bothering to compare them. Justin is a global superstar in the Madonna mold. Robin thicke is a nobody who should be grateful Timberlake is making him look momentarily relevant.

by Anonymousreply 37804/01/2013

r378. You're right about Justin and Madonna being of similar talents musically. And I'd include Bieber and Rihanna in that list of enviable global superstars.

by Anonymousreply 37904/01/2013

[quote][And I'd include Bieber and Rihanna in that list of enviable global superstars.

Ah,no. More like superficial talent. Rhianna and Bieber can't carry a tune, they need auto-tune and dancers to compensate for lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 38004/01/2013

Robin Thicke has worked to lower his speaking voice, has he not?

IYKWIM.

by Anonymousreply 38104/01/2013

Just how dense are you r380?

by Anonymousreply 38204/01/2013

R379, no one said anything about their musical talent - it's about their star power.

by Anonymousreply 38304/01/2013

[quote]It sounds like he's saying "Shittin' Tie" instead of "Shirt and Tie."

Nope...Nope.

by Anonymousreply 38404/01/2013

[quote]Anyway, the first rule of elder gay bitchery is: If someone says A is good, then I must insist A sucks and B is MUCH better.

That's also the first rule of black music bitchery: If someone says White Artist is good, then I must insist White Artist sucks and All Mildly-Similar Black Artists are MUCH better.

by Anonymousreply 38504/01/2013

You guys don't realize that it's a privilege to hear a great album from Justin Timberlake. The man is a GENIUS!

by Anonymousreply 38604/01/2013

The soccer mom cunts trying to relive their teen years need to get the fuck out of datalounge. Fawning over Justin Timberlake????Get lost cunts

by Anonymousreply 38704/01/2013

R387 I agree. It's just sad!

by Anonymousreply 38804/01/2013

[quote]That's also the first rule of black music bitchery: If someone says White Artist is good, then I must insist White Artist sucks and All Mildly-Similar Black Artists are MUCH better.

Robin Thicke must have so much cred in the black community, he's now considered black on DL. Also, white artistes are better at black music than black artiste? You know how ridiculous that sounds?

by Anonymousreply 38904/01/2013

So its been fraus all this time? Makes sense. Claymates moved on to Josh Groban then Michael Bubble now its JT.

by Anonymousreply 39004/01/2013

Justin Timberlake can do no wrong. The 20/20 Experience is like fine wine, you can't stop drinking it.

by Anonymousreply 39104/01/2013

r391 is either trolling or a paid shill.

by Anonymousreply 39204/02/2013

Anyone with a modicum of good taste automatically thinks Timberprick should have been a crib death.

by Anonymousreply 39304/02/2013

Those of us with more than a modicum think R393 should have been a crib death.

by Anonymousreply 39404/02/2013

[quote][R391] is either trolling or a paid shill.

Why don't you go listen to your Justin Beiber?

by Anonymousreply 39504/02/2013

People dissing this album obviously haven't really listened to it. Seriously, there's a reason it streamed free first and then went on to sell almost 1m copies.

by Anonymousreply 39604/02/2013

I'll tell you what though, none of these new kids like Thicke and JT come close to George Michael as far as white soul goes. They just don't have the singing and songwriting talent he had. Same with Daryl Hall, they can't hold a candle.

Hall & Oates and George Michael were the last two white males to have a #1 r&b single before Thicke, JT has very nearly made it and has that area cornered.

by Anonymousreply 39704/02/2013

What about Eminems? He was the first white rapper.

by Anonymousreply 39804/03/2013

Here's a link to the Youtube-banned uncensored video of Robin Thicke's hot new song "Blurred Lines". Timberlake could only wish...

by Anonymousreply 39904/03/2013

Robin Thicke, Bruno Mars, Miguel and Frank Ocean understand their craft, not this poseur.

by Anonymousreply 40004/04/2013

Robin Thicke has one great asset that Timberlake lacks: I believe that Thicke is straight. And he's sexy straight. You feel his voice is one of seduction. That his natural form of speaking is more man, less boy. Timberlake tries too hard to be a man. Thicke respects and admires the woman. Timberlake is still trying to impress the girl.

by Anonymousreply 40104/05/2013

OK so I've had the album a few more times on the iPod and now I see the hype. The NME review initially mirrored my own opinion and the song times I found annoying.

I'd give it a 9 or 10 if that was more focussed but it's an 8 easy. It has some great tracks for sure and is even cohesive. You could argue that the song suites make it better for a listening of the album as intended, though I was always more of a singles man.

I agree that the best moments are Strawberry Bubblegum - stick to the 70s funk Shuggie Otis stuff, Justin! - and the amazing ambient closer Blue Ocean Floor.

Suit and Tie - I've been loving this more and more, actually a highlight. I was listening to Thicke's Magic the other day and it is indeed strikingly similar.

Mirrors - This is brilliant but one I have to be in the mood for cause it's so cloying, like Adele's SLY

Don't Hold the Wall - This one is ace, has really crept up on me as a highlight.

Let the Groove Get In = Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

That Girl - Until The End of Time rewrite

Body Count - rehashes the riff from Like I Love You. Much more suited to a rap than Suit.

All the rest are fine but the unconvincing OutKast space funk of Spaceship Coup is the weak link. The bonus tracks really deserve that status and closing on Blue Ocean Floor is the perfect ending.

by Anonymousreply 40204/06/2013

Suddenly I feel so old at 33 when I read reviews like r402. We're being fed the lie that Timberlake is a genius artiste as well physically handsome when I can see for myself this is not the case. The teeny-boppers have grown up and are now still supporting their teenage crush so it shouldn't be surprising, really. I bet r402 owns every 'N'Sync album.

by Anonymousreply 40304/06/2013

Don't do R402, I'm a little older than you. What can I say, I still have a weakness for pop. I definitely don't buy that JT or Beyonce are musical geniuses, no. Lets see them with self written compositions first.

Handsome? well he can be, I will say I don't find Robin Thicke at all hot though. I'll put it this way: Justin is an annoying douche, I just like some of his music.. he needs to stick with that only.

Backstreet Boys were better than NSync who had the weaker Max Martin songs and it was all too samey that era, the useless Britney got even catchier songs. Only one by 'N Sync I liked was Girlfriend and the only interesting thing was the subtle messages they put in their album covers and titles - No Strings Attached progressing to Celebrity. Not that they require this much analysis.

For Justin solo I wasn't that keen on the first record, but I loved a good deal of the second. I now get the hype for this one, most consistent yet. The downside is his voice has gotten worse since his absence so the replay value is down with all that high pitched whining.

by Anonymousreply 40404/07/2013

Since this has become the Robin Thicke thread as well, although they're the same I don't find Robin hot but I like his pervy father.

by Anonymousreply 40504/07/2013

I can't stand anyone who listens to R'nB, well R'n'B post 1998. It's so lame and low-brow. I really do judge those people, like all of you guys here, that like and buy this sorta shit. I really do look down on you and think you're just low-brow and lame. I know it's horrible, but I really do think I am better than you, and the fact is, I probably am.

by Anonymousreply 40604/07/2013

R406 Just because someone listens to Justin Timberlake doesn't mean that's the only type of music he listens to. As it happens, Justin is the one place where my musical taste intersects with the "R'n'B post 1998" you so deride. I like lots of other kinds of music: classical, jazz, pop, rock, folk.

But I don't think this makes me better than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 40704/07/2013

I can't stand all this talk about Justin being some musical genius. Timbaland does the music. Justin does his lyrics and they're not that great. They're very run of the mill. His hooks on the new album show he doesn't know his craft the way Bruno Mars does.

Max Martin and Bruno Mars are 10 times better as songwriters than Justin will ever be. So what does that make them, super geniuses?

by Anonymousreply 40804/07/2013

Who is Max Martin?

by Anonymousreply 40904/07/2013

No one really knows the exact role of the different people behind Justin's music. Since he works in collaboration with others, even the participants couldnt be sure. So all of you can STFU about that.

It's not even relevant anyway. People here saying they like the album are talking about the experience of hearing it - I've listened to it a lot and am loving it more each time - not a technical analysis of its production.

by Anonymousreply 41004/07/2013

R405, I once posted that video on here under something like "Is Alan Thicke making a pass at Bob Paris?"

He clearly would've romped in the sack with Bob if given the chance.

by Anonymousreply 41104/07/2013

It's sad that signers need no longer rely on talent and a sterling voice to be successful, now they just have to exploit their sexuality and other people's laziness.

by Anonymousreply 41204/07/2013

Sorry "singers" not signers.

by Anonymousreply 41304/07/2013

My kids introduced me to this video. It's not a bad song, although it's a mishmash of various styles that young people conflate as "retro." It's just so polished that there's so spontaneity or originality to it. I can think of a lot worst stuff out there such as anything associated with Nicki Minaj.

by Anonymousreply 41404/07/2013

For Justin T. to get so many responses on DL he has something going on.

Love listening to Suit and Tie. Want to get the CD at Target to get the 2 bonus tracks as well.

Also like Robin Thicke.

Justin Timberlake is talented and moves well. Great performer.

by Anonymousreply 41504/07/2013

[quote] Robin Thicke has one great asset that Timberlake lacks: I believe that Thicke is straight

Wow, self-loathing much?

by Anonymousreply 41604/07/2013

How is it self-loating R416, you harpy? What that poster meant was that he believes Thicke is straight, as opposed to a gay man (Timberlake) PRETENDING to be straight. You people throw the "self-loathing" term around a little too freely on DL.

by Anonymousreply 41804/07/2013

If Timberlake ever crawls out of Narnia I might respect him.

That queen is so obvious I can't even take him seriously pretending to croon to club girls.

Besides his whole "black" schtick doesn't work for him. Robin Thicke was a good comparison of a white guy who can pull it off whereas Timberlake lacks any and all swagger.

Justina is all bottom and would rather a man sweep him off his feet. Robin is believable in what he's saying because he's actually interested.

That's why Timberlake seems so lifeless and Thicke isn't just alive but full of passion.

Personally I don't like the genre of nonstop sex songs, it's a bit like the torture porn movie genre, but if you're going to do it at least be into it.

I bet you if Justin switched to singing about the first time a guy popped his booty he'd sing like a damned song bird rather than Rihanna on anti-depressants.

by Anonymousreply 41904/07/2013

Well this is a sad thread.

by Anonymousreply 42004/07/2013

R419, could not agree more, but that doesn't stop me from liking his music. Some of the stuff on the new album is so sad, it's actually moving.

As for Robin Thicke, he's an uninteresting minor talent. He is only relevant to the conversation if you're a teenage girl or someone else clueless enough to fall for Justin's straight-guy act.

If you do get him, like r419, forgive him for the slight of being closeted for his career and listen to his singing for what it is. He's already a songbird, albeit a caged one.

by Anonymousreply 42104/08/2013

R421 A caged songbird? Ha

by Anonymousreply 42204/08/2013

[quote]I bet you if Justin switched to singing about the first time a guy popped his booty he'd sing like a damned song bird rather than Rihanna on anti-depressants.

"Pusher Love Boy" [italic]would[/italic] be a lot better song than "Pusher Love Girl."

by Anonymousreply 42304/08/2013

And "I'm in Love with That Boy" would have been infinitely better than the song he actually recorded and released.

by Anonymousreply 42404/08/2013

That Girl and Mirrors, the two songs supposed to be about Jessica Biel, both sound pretty mournful.

by Anonymousreply 42504/08/2013

[quote]I bet you if Justin switched to singing about the first time a guy popped his booty he'd sing like a damned song bird rather than Rihanna on anti-depressants.

I thought that was what he meant with that "pop" in Stawberry Bubblegum! I always assume Justin is singing about what his dream stud would say. His pretensions otherwise don't bother me.

by Anonymousreply 42604/08/2013

I just can't understand how anyone an appreciated his style of "music". It's beyond me. It's just so lowest common denominator music for the insipid Joe public masses.

I can't understand how you can like his work. It's so boring and insipid and contrived, commercial in the worst way and hallow and empty and easy and cheap and bland and boring, everything that is wrong about modern music.

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 42704/08/2013

Thanks for your contribution Mary

by Anonymousreply 42804/08/2013

R427 gets an Oh, Dear for "hallow," and an Oh, My for using "insipid" twice.

by Anonymousreply 42904/08/2013

Is Blue Ocean Floor about a lovers' suicide pact?It sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 43004/08/2013

I'd like him better if he'd let his curls roam free again. Don't suppress the curls JT.

by Anonymousreply 43104/08/2013

"Mirrors" is a gorgeous song.

And his hair looks great. I'm copying it.

by Anonymousreply 43204/09/2013

About the hair, once again, he's trying to cop Thicke's style and it looks just like that--copying.

by Anonymousreply 43304/09/2013

That might be true, R433, if there were a single similarity between JT and the guy in that photo (with the exception, of course, of the fact that they're both white men in their 20s or 30s).

by Anonymousreply 43404/09/2013

I like his hair curly but whatever. I think Mirrors is a good song but a downer. It seems to be about settling.

by Anonymousreply 43504/10/2013

Does anyone else think it's worth nothing that Blue Ocean Floor is about suicide? Why is Timberlake writing songs about suicide?

And the rest of the album is about drugs. Seems like marriage doesn't agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 43604/14/2013

JT is not worthy or butchy enough to carry Prince's Gucci purse!!!

by Anonymousreply 43704/14/2013

Gack. Go home, R37. Eat or drink Drano. Wrap your mouth in an entire roll of duct tape. Die.

by Anonymousreply 43804/14/2013

Wow, so Thicke has totally destroyed Timberlake with "Blurred Lines", that has capitulated him out of the r&b specialist market straight to the mainstream and the top of the charts.

I didn't think it was possible for someone to do a song of the summer to top "Get Lucky", but they did. I love the look of Pharrell in the video and before seeing the vid, I thought it had a slew of features as he sounds like two different people from the Prince falsetto to his deeper voice, different from before. And it has the only pretty rapper T.I.

Robin is a much better singer than Justin, I loved the vocals on "Love After War", less convinced by the falsetto stuff. I wonder what he would sound like with Timbaland, "Blurred Lines" is better than anything Pharrell did with Justin. Robin writes his shit without collaborators, so we have ourselves a new George Michael/Prince of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 43906/07/2013

Robin Thicke is so fucking lame, but I guess if you're a low-brow tard he might do it for you.

by Anonymousreply 44006/08/2013

Glad to see this thread active again because I'm still loving 20/20. It gets deeper into my head the more I listen to it.

Just like I'd like to be getting deeper into timberlake's ass, but that's okay, I'll settle for his music.

Good for robin thicke for finally getting a hit or whatever, but who cares and it's not the topic here.

by Anonymousreply 44106/08/2013

[quote]Robin Thicke is so fucking lame, but I guess if you're a low-brow tard he might do it for you.

Yes, because Justin Timberlake is highbrow art.

by Anonymousreply 44206/08/2013

They all make music for lowbrow tards.

by Anonymousreply 44306/08/2013

He just fills a void. They're all interchangeable

by Anonymousreply 44406/08/2013

I'm old. 49. I know who he is but have never heard him sing.

by Anonymousreply 44506/08/2013

Rule of thumb: the more producers attached to a project, the more elaborately staged the video, the greater the likelihood the artist is only modestly talented. Examples: Gaga, Madonna, Katy Perry, etc.

by Anonymousreply 44606/08/2013

Looks like that rivalry only exists here.

[quote]Robin Thicke Credits Justin Timberlake For Success Of Chart Topping Single 'Blurred Lines'

by Anonymousreply 44706/14/2013

Interesting r447. Thicke seemed like a douche before and compared himself to Marvin and said he felt like Justin was Michael and he was Prince so is changing his tune somewhat.

Even so, I felt like songs like "Magic" and "Love After War" were very commercial and should've been hits.. but they're really from another era and that's what stopped it. Hate "Lost Without U" and he always sounded like shit doing it live, never got why that had 11 weeks at #1 on the r&b chart.

by Anonymousreply 44806/18/2013

As for Justin, "Blue Ocean Floor" is seeming like a mournful paean to escaping from the closet. The album is still great but he's starting to annoy me again. I see he did a tribute to Gene Kelly at some awards show (you wish!) and he still is persisting with the acting shit.

He CANNOT act and looks like he'll be another Madonna and just give up in the end. This film though looks like a treat for Justin lovers and haters alike. You know you're bad when you make Ben Affleck look like Lawrence Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 44906/18/2013

Justin is a successful actor, unlike Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 45006/18/2013

[quote]Rule of thumb: the more producers attached to a project, the more elaborately staged the video, the greater the likelihood the artist is only modestly talented.

Justin producers for others.

by Anonymousreply 45106/18/2013

[quote]I didn't think it was possible for someone to do a song of the summer to top "Get Lucky", but they did.

"Get Lucky" is crap.

by Anonymousreply 45206/18/2013

So happy for Robin Thicke. When I posted that video back in March, I thought it would remain in the r&b niche like the rest of his material. Now it's gone to the top of the charts worldwide and is No. 1 on Billboard while Timberlake's overhyped album with the backing of the media machine has failed to produce a No. 1 single .

And Timberlake's much vaunted album won't be the biggest thing this year, as predicted. What with upcoming releases by big names like Kanye West, Jay Z and Lady Gaga who'll easily surpass his first week sales.

by Anonymousreply 45306/20/2013

[quote]Justin is a successful actor

Hi Justin!

I hadn't realized The Love Guru, Southland Tales and In Time were such huge hits.

by Anonymousreply 45406/20/2013

Can the Robin Thicke troll please start her own thread.

Agree that Justin's acting becomes cringeworthy when he has to deliver lines, especially dramatic dialog. But he's great at expressing things with his face and body. Maybe he can bring silent film back, haha.

by Anonymousreply 45506/20/2013

Chaplin drag

by Anonymousreply 45606/20/2013

Also agree that Blue Ocean Floor is clearly about something far more emotionally serious than people expect from JT.

by Anonymousreply 45706/20/2013

Completely crushed by Robin Thicke.

by Anonymousreply 45808/09/2013

Oh Justin, you are spoiling us. 20/20 is still the album of the year and I forgot there was going to be a second part. Can't wait!

Take Back the Night is fire and goes in yet another direction.

Can someone start a thread for The 20/20 Experience Part 2? The thread for the part 1 album seems to have been wiped.

by Anonymousreply 45908/10/2013

Still no smash hit from both albums.

by Anonymousreply 46010/12/2013

Lots of great stuff on both albums.

by Anonymousreply 46110/12/2013

Epic F.L.O.P! The album's vanished without a trace.

by Anonymousreply 46210/31/2013

OP you're right about TimberFake, but you praise the past pop stars way too much. A lot of them were/are posers too.

Anyway, so glad his second album's singles are FLOPPING hard. Jussy can suck and get fucked by all the dicks she wants, but she ain't ruling pop music anymore!

by Anonymousreply 46311/01/2013

Charts are whatever, who cares anymore. Meanwhile Jussy is still raking in all the money. Two no. 1 albums and in a few days he kicks off a world tour. The average ticket price for the MSG show is $350 !!! For that much money I'd at least want to put my finger in his ass.

by Anonymousreply 46411/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.