Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joanna Lumley (Patsy Stone) Urges The UK's Young Women To 'Stop Looking Like Trash And Getting Drunk'

"It’s not me being a snob about it. It's not me being an old woman talking to young women, its just standard practice for how our species should behave. Don’t behave badly.

Photo of Joanna and Leonardo DiCaprio kissing on the set of Martin Scorsese's new film, "The Wolf of Wall Street:"

by Anonymousreply 4301/25/2013

And Patsy should know!! Great lady.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I love this woman.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

Patsy never looked like trash - she was always impeccably dressed and coiffed.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

Wow, she's not even hiding how badly she and Jennifer Saunders are NOT getting along these days.

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

She's been encouraging young ladies to class it up for a few years now. She started off being her polite and tactful self, but lately she's realized a more pointed approach is required.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

Where did you hear that, r4? Jennifer rescued Joanna from what would've been a sad decline into obscurity. Joanna was only known for her beauty, and it was fading. It took Jennifer sensing her comic potential, to make her a far bigger star than she'd ever been.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

She was just praising Saunders. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

She doesn't need the competition.

I keed, I keed.

I think she's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Joanna Lumley is one of only a small handful of people who can do no wrong in my book I love love love her.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

Was Saunders "roasting" her at this event? Then I apologize, I misunderstood this paragraph:

[quote] "To see those kinds of people talking so generously about me - excluding Ms Saunders!

But those "making of" Ab Fab videos show a very different vibe between them, and Joanna seems very wary of JS in them.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

She isn't Patsy Stone- it's a character she played. Lumley has always struck me as a decent person with insight and empathy. Saunders seems a little too like her character in Absolutely Fabulous but trashier.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

Joanna is a classy, inteligent, funny, wittty, wise woman.

Her advice applies to both women and men.

And R9 is right...she can do no wrong in my book as well. There are just some people and things in life that the British do better than anyone else. Joanna Lumley is one of the best.

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

Actually Saunders has said Saffy's rants represent her (Jennifer's) thoughts on the given subject, so Jennifer is more like Saffy than Edina, at least intellectually and morally.

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

AbFab is most likely over. She has nothing to lose.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

R13, she never said that. Lumley confirmed the Ab Fab movie yesterday, and was all cheery about Jennifer, and how she can't wait to step into Patsy's shoes again.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

Joanna trashed Britain's youth two years ago. She said they were dumb, among other things.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

Yes she did r15, on the commentary of one of the dvds. You think you know every last thing Jennifer Saunders has said? And why would you consider it such an unlikely thing for her to say, that you'd make your little snippy comment?

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

[quote]Joanna Lumley has also appeared on the last run of ITV1's Parkinson as a guest, on 27 October 2007, discussing the subject of young girls across the UK and how they need to behave better if they hope to be successful. She was asked to write the introduction to a re-edition in November 2007 of the book called 'The Magic Key To Charm' written by the pioneering female journalist Eileen Ascroft. This is a book of tips to women, first written by Ascroft in 1938 about how to be glamorous. "I thought it was absolutely enchanting, it's how young women were told how to behave in the old days and I think it might be just coming back for a bit of a revival," she explained in the interview.

[quote]"Because, I have to say I adore our young ones and I think we have got some of the prettiest and loveliest girls in the world but I think sometimes the behaviour gets a bit bad and I think the girls let themselves down. They are so pretty and so lovely but they should behave better, I think, then they will be more successful."

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

Jo loves Jenn. Jenn sent a huge check to Jo's Gurkhas cause and it really bowled her over.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

They seem really chill and warm together here... starts about 8:30... dates from 2011.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

I don't know who she is, but she speaks the truth. The people in the UK act like drunk trash. However, she shouldn't have singled out the women - the men are just as trashy.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

Though I adore her, she still does come across with this comment like every other bitter old person who has made similar observations about the trashy younger generation for the past 200 years.

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

r21 have you ever seen Absolutely Fabulous? Joanna Lumley plays Patsy Stone.

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2013

[quote] 'Don't get drunk, don't be sick in the gutter and don't stagger about in the wrong clothes at midnight': Joanna Lumley warns girls they are putting themselves at risk of rape

That's the truth. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2013

Oh yes. And you can never have enough shoes or hats or gloves.

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2013

A nation of drunks. Don't know why she singled out the young women.

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2013

"'Don't get drunk, don't be sick in the gutter and don't stagger about in the wrong clothes at midnight': Joanna Lumley warns girls they are putting themselves at risk of rape."

Why doesn't she admonish men who'll rape drunk women instead?

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2013

Brits - men and women - think getting "paralytic" is a sign of sophistication. Watch the British news for a year and you'll notice how regularly young girls disappear (and turn up murdered) after "leaving the pub and walking home".

Pity that Lumley's is the only voice speaking up about this.

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013

Do you mean accessories, Patsy at r26?

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2013

Am I bovvered though? I ain't even bovvered!

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2013

Oi! Shop girl!

by Anonymousreply 3301/25/2013

In particular, she criticises “laddish” young women who drink so much they end up being “sick in the gutter” and put themselves at risk of being “robbed or raped”.

She says: “Don’t look like trash, don’t get drunk, don’t be sick down your front, don’t break your heels and stagger about in the wrong clothes at midnight. This is bad. It’s not me being a snob about it. It's not me being an old woman talking to young women, its just standard practice for how our species should behave. Don’t behave badly.

“I promise you it is better to look after yourself properly, which means behave properly, be polite, be on time, dress properly – I don’t mean dully – but don’t be sick in the gutter at midnight in a silly dress with no money to get a taxi home, because somebody will take advantage of you, either they’ll rape you, or they’ll knock you on the head or they’ll rob you.”

Ms Lumley says it is “something in our society” that causes young women to behave badly, rather than the young women themselves. “[It could be] to keep up the laddish thing which makes you look funkier,” she said. Whatever it is, she doesn't believe they are being true to themselves.

The words seem strange coming from a woman that has made her name playing the life of a frequently drunk Patsy Stone, who in Absolutely Fabulous, became synonymous for falling out of taxis onto the pavement, blind drunk.

“Patsy is a detestable character,” she says. “I really loathe it.”

by Anonymousreply 3401/25/2013

Lumley, who also believes women should stop going out in "practically nothing", said she does not condone raucous behaviour in young boys either, but that girls are more vulnerable and had to be aware of “predators” on the streets.

“Girls used not to get legless and now they do, and so I think that’s a trend which we should pull back from.”

Lumley, who describes herself as a "lioness" looking after younger lion cubs, says it's her duty to say something about how the young ones behave.

"I am now an old lioness, if I see my young ones getting out of order, I've got to be able to say to them this is not how lions behave. This is not right."

At this point in the interview I am starting to think about all those silly, drunken nights I had as a 19 year-old at university. Surely many teenagers and young people who act like this don't mean anything by it, and will grow up eventually.

Sure enough, she looks at me and says, "you don't do that do you?"

I decide I cannot lie to Joanna Lumley and say that I used to (the therapy continues). I hasten to add I don't do it anymore.

"So you've grown up," she smiles, joking that "university is a place where you get given money to go and be sick in the gutter". Phew, I thought I'd lost her.

by Anonymousreply 3501/25/2013

"A lot of this is about attitude. We in this country, have it all. We're safe. We have free education, police who on the whole, look out for us. You go to Srinagar [the Indian state where she was born] and they don't have it all. But on the other hand, maybe they have closer family links and someone loves them more dearly.

"I don't know what having it all is. To anybody outside, I've certainly had it all. And to myself, I've more than had it all because I've been taught to read, so whatever I don't know about I can read about. I've been taught to put other people first, which makes you happy, if you don't do that you'll never be happy."

by Anonymousreply 3601/25/2013

HEY YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS GET OFF MY LAWN!

by Anonymousreply 3701/25/2013

I so loved how when someone would insult Patsy, she'd say "Cheers", with that look on her face! That really cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 3801/25/2013

I can't believe it took until R23!

by Anonymousreply 3901/25/2013

Our interview returns to this underlying theme; that humans should take responsibility for their own actions, that they should embrace being themselves but also learn to put others – and the world's resources – first, to enable them to continue to do that.

"I don't think we're taught enough that we are in sole control of ourselves, it isn't anybody else's job to look after us, it's our job," she says.

When I ask her what a happy life looks like, she says, simply: "It looks like now, here." She continues: "If you make it 'now', if now is glorious and now is fabulous, just see how lovely it is. It's a discipline. Make yourself be happy, and then funnily enough, you'll be happy."

With that, our 20 minutes is up and Lumley is whisked off to several other meetings, presumably with journalists, to spread the word about the M&S Shwopping campaign and why it's important. And if I know anything about this remarkable woman by now, she'll also spread the word about how to embrace life and all the things it throws at you.

by Anonymousreply 4001/25/2013

[quote]The words seem strange coming from a woman that has made her name playing the life of a frequently drunk Patsy Stone, who in Absolutely Fabulous, became synonymous for falling out of taxis onto the pavement, blind drunk.

That was Edina. Patsy could always hold her sauce.

by Anonymousreply 4101/25/2013

[quote]Yes she did [R15], on the commentary of one of the dvds. You think you know every last thing Jennifer Saunders has said? And why would you consider it such an unlikely thing for her to say, that you'd make your little snippy comment?

I know more about her than you do.

What she has always said is that all the monologues are her. She sees herself as both left wing and a right wing Facist.

Also, a lot comes from Ruby Wax.

by Anonymousreply 4201/25/2013

Jennifer Saunders takes part in fox hunts with her daughter. She says she (Jennifer) grew up fox hunting.

I abhor people like this.

They claim the hunts are "chemical," but a real fox is invariably routed out by the dogs and killed.

by Anonymousreply 4301/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.