Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matha Stewart's Cooking School

Wow. I just tried one of her recipes and it was boring and tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013

She tries to do too much. This new show is a step in the right direction, though, by bringing it back to the basics and allowing her complete control over the recipes versus some of her obviously "inspired by" recipes that she floats as her own these days. Many of her recipes are too rich and the healthy ones are too bland. Mostly Puritan food, really. Ina Garten is much the same (except even richer, more expensive ingredients). Don't even get me started on Giada, Ray and the rest on the Food Network.

Lidia and (the old episodes of) Julia are the only ones I rely on repeatedly, though America's Test Kitchen is always very thorough and exact (if that's all you want from a cooking show; no personality). Pepin is generally entertaining if frustratingly fast and needlessly complicated, whereas Ming always gilds the lily and takes his taste experiments too far for most palates. The host on CIAO ITALIA has great technique but a crabby disposition and cheap production values. The old Julia & Jacques are fun, too.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I gave up on Martha's recipes a few years ago when I found a one for home made s'mores in her magazine.

I was reading it at the doctor's office waiting for some nerve-wracking test results, and decided if I got good news I was going to do "better things."

For some reason, "better things" included making Martha's s'mores which required me to make homemade graham crackers and homemade marshmallows.

But it was Martha! And it would just be better!

A hundred or so dollars and maybe 20 man hours later, I emerged from my kitchen with all natural home-cooked beautiful s'mores.

Which tasted just a little bit worse than ones I could have made in about 3 minutes with maybe $6 worth of ingredients.

Seriously. They were mediocre in every way.

I haven't made another stupid thing of hers since.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

In the 1990s, I had a cook book of hers. It had a striped blue cover. Everything I made from it was a hit. I still sometimes make the "grilled deviled chicken under a brick" and her "summer corn chowder".

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

I made her dinner rolls for Christmas. Huge hit with everyone.

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

I like her new show. The episode devoted to eggs was pretty funny: she taught me how to cook a fried egg, how to cook scrambled eggs, how to boil an egg, etc.

My friend makes her classic Cranberry Corn Bread stuffing every year at Thanksgiving--absolutely delicious.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

"Wow. I just tried one of her recipes and it was boring and tasteless."

Sort of like you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

This is not a new complaint. She is really just marketing to mid-America what gay men (and others) have been doing for a very long time: baking from scratch, collecting pottery, collecting and using antiques, silver, etc.

What she offers may be new to suburban dwellers with zero imagination, but it is nothing new to the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

I will say it made the kitchen smell good, but the food was rubbery and lacking flavor.

It's funny, last night I saw on America's Test Kitchen that they tested pancake mixes and Hungry Jack and Bisquick both beat Ina Garten's.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Nigella Lawson is a joke. She just uses common recipes or outdated ones and tries to pass them off as something great. What BS.The time she made grilled cheese sandwiches is one laughable example. Then she acts all sexy when she eats it. Please. I hate it when she does this with Italian food especially. I learned better from my Italian relatives.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

Her recipes are as boring and tasteless as she is!

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

You people are fucking old.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

I agree, "Super Trouper" was ABBA's best album. From the glorious "The Winner Takes It All" to the pounding and pulsing "Lay All Your Love On Me" and "On and On and On", it was a masterpiece. It's a shame they only made one more album (the excellent "The Visitors") before going their separate ways. I also agree that "Mamma Mia" was a terrible movie and should never have been made. I love Meryl though. I've always hoped that ABBA would get back together for a new album and tour, but I guess it's too late now. They're all too old now. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

I'm 31 years old R11 - you?

by Anonymousreply 1401/25/2013

R13, Erik, I would say their previous album, "Voulez-Vous" (1979) was my favorite Abba album, but hon, I think you're in the wrong thread. Precious, this is a Martha Stewart thread. I think you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 1501/25/2013

R13, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1601/25/2013

A pal told me all of Westport knew she was a bitch years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2013

You must be some kind of fool to think that anybody in Westport was your friend.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

I done tol you bitches that everything needs a stick of butter.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

Good Boiled Eggs - by Martha Stewart

-- Use only local organic eggs. -- Let them sit at room temperature for one hour. -- Use a spider to carefully lower the eggs into cold water. -- Turn the heat up and turn it off when the water boils. -- Lid on for 4 minutes for soft and 11 for hard. -- Immerse the eggs in icy cold water to stop the cooking process. -- Now peel the hard boiled egg starting at the blunt end, cut it in half and sprinkle with coarse salt and good pepper. Eat your delicious egg with toast. -- Place the soft boiled egg in an egg cup, saw off the top with a serrated knife, sprinkle with kosher salt and ground pepper. Enjoy your luxurious, silky egg with a non-reactive steel or mother of pearl spoon. Serve toast as an accompaniment.

I learned so much in those ten excruciating minutes.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

R20, be sure that your eggs come from Araucana chickens, who lay eggs in a variety of pastel colors!

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2013

Actually if you're going to be tedious about boiling eggs, you'd want to puncture the wider end of the egg, before placing it in the water.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

Boring and tasteless. Just like her.

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2013

A better boiled egg recipe

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!