Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Men Assaulted at Barbra Streisand Movie in Louisiana

Four gay men were allegedly subjected to antigay slurs and a physical assault at a screening of the new Barbra Streisand movie, Guilt Trip, in Lafayette, La. on Sunday. The alleged assailant, 37-year-old Joseph Menard Jr., has been arrested and charged with two counts of simple battery, according to The Advertiser.

Walt Jamison, 23, told The Advertiser that he and his partner and two gay friends met at a local theater Sunday to see the new Streisand movie costarring Seth Rogen, but were almost immediately assaulted by a man sitting behind them, who began by loudly referring to the group of men by a gay slur.

When Jamison's partner responded with an inquisitive "Excuse me?" Menard "stood up and leaned over us and started screaming hate slurs peppered with profanities," Jamison told The Advertiser.

Another woman in the theater reportedly asked Menard to stop yelling, since her young children were in the audience, but Menard insulted that woman and told her to sit down.

That's when Menard allegedly punched Jamison's partner in the back of the head, hard enough that "he did rock forward," said Jamison. Once his partner exited the theater in search of management, Jamison says Menard took a swing at him, grazing his cheek and knocking his glasses to the floor.

Police were called to the scene, and later arrested Menard and his wife — who fled the theater after the altercation — for simple battery and resisting arrest. Jamison said that police and theater staff were considerate and respectful, and noted Menard's antigay comments in the police report. Even so, Menard has not been charged with a hate crime.

A police spokesman told The Advertiser he was unsure why officers did not charge Menard with a hate crime, but noted that because the homophobic comments are in the police report, the prosecutor and judge may consider adding such charges when Menard appears in court.

"I want people to know that not only is his behavior obviously unacceptable, and he has suffered consequences and hopefully will continue to suffer consequences as a result," Jamison told The Advertiser. "But just because you're different does not mean that you have to take this lying down."

by Anonymousreply 3501/27/2013

Isn't the movie punishment enough?

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I'm so tired of reading about violence erupting at Barbra Streisand films.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

If found guilty, the assailants should be sentenced to watch "Yentl" on an endless loop for 96 hours.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

If he was that angry before the movie, I can only imagine how angry he would have been when he realized he could never get that 90 minutes of his life back...

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

Poor Mr. Menard. Another angry closet case who is supposedly straight strikes out at gay men due to his self-loathing. I'm sure the boys in prison will give him what he's always wanted.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

This is so 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

Mr. Menard gives a video interview here

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

Good grief. If he was irritated with them MOVE TO ANOTHER FUCKING SEAT.

Menard is a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Why should Menard have to leave?

In fact we shouldn't be going to the back of the bus.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

He's really well-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

Menard was the prepetrator. Jamison the victim.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

An abomination

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

Most of my family is down in Lafayette and while it's an overwhelming Catholic area, as most of Acadiana (Cajun country) is, Lafayette is FULL of gays and lesbians and very, very tolerable for such an otherwise conservative area of the south.

For such a small city, they have at least three very popular gay night clubs; possibly more by now. When I lived there briefly, about a decade ago, they had four.

That said, this is horrible to hear. However, I do know that a lot of the younger gay crowd down there can be really, really obnoxious. Drag is very big in Lafayette and there are a LOT of drag queens. I think that speaks to the general tolerance of the area. My niece who lives there is gay also.

I have no idea what happened but being from the area, I can't dismiss the possibility that these guys were being obnoxious or even baiting the reported homophobe. I could be wrong and I'm not suggesting this is likely what happened. Just saying that Lafayette is generally gay friendly and has a gigantic gay population and this sounds very out of character; especially when I know first-hand that a huge portion of the drag and drag following community down there love to make scenes in public to shock all the old Catholic ladies.

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

I remember that story from last year where Whitney Houston got into a verbal argument with another woman during a showing of "The Prince of Tides" and pulled her pony tail.

Who knew that so many violent thugs were big Streisand fans?

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

R7/R9, can you please learn how to read?

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

I watched the video and the alleged victim really doesn't seem like one of those "obnoxious younger gays" crowd I was referring to in my post @ R13.

Still, it's a rare sort of incident down there but I'm inclined to believe the gay guy.

Menard and the wife don't really come across as the types who'd see a Streisand/Seth Rogan movie anyway. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

Seth Rogen is fugly, but his mere presence on a large screen doesn't meet the classic definition of "assault."

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

Seth Rogen is the idol of gay bears everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

I would have slapped that man silly.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

Everyone was assaulted at that movie.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

[quote] In fact we shouldn't be going to the back of the bus.

"We" who, R9? I think you've confused DL with the Family Research Council's chat boards?

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

What kind of man goes to a Barbra Streisand movie, and loses his shit and begins shouting anti-gay slurs?

A repressed closet case, that's who. One with a wife who's had about enough of his shit, by the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

[quote]I have no idea what happened but being from the area, I can't dismiss the possibility that these guys were being obnoxious or even baiting the reported homophobe

Right R13 you sad piece of shit, blame the victims based on NO EVIDENCE. You eldergays are pathetic. No wonder drag queens had to fight for you self-loathers at Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

I have only seen three of her movies, but I felt like I had been assaulted all three times. Awful. Almost as bad as Mad-nna.

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2013

[quote]Drag is very big in Lafayette and there are a LOT of drag queens.

Can we find a way to move all drag queens to Lafayette?

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2013

R7 & R9 here

I feel so stupid.

Please forgive me for not reading properly.

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2013

And op.!

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2013

Barbra is VERY concerned about this. She will be personally visiting the young men in the near future to console them and ensure that they are doing okay. She will also make an apology to them for having to suffer through her latest film.

by Anonymousreply 2801/25/2013

They waited until this past Sunday to see the movie?

Are we sure they're gay?

by Anonymousreply 2901/25/2013

LOL r29

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013

The basher was from Rayne -- aka The Frog Capitol of the World, right? what can you expect...

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

It is almost punishment enough that everyone who knows this man will know that he was arrested at a Barbra Streisand movie. Too bad it wasn't a screening of FUNNY GIRL or ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013

Isn't 23 a little young to be calling someone your "partner?"

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2013

Why?

no, it's not.

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2013

Getting together with a "partner" at such a young age = doomed relationship. Just be boyfriends when you're young.

by Anonymousreply 3501/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.