Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Could "Silver Linings Playbook" upset "Lincoln"?

I think there's a good chance.

by Anonymousreply 6701/27/2013

Lincoln is dead, nothing could upset him now.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

If it wins the SAG award, then YES!

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

LINCOLN is a movie I admired but doubt I would stop to watch it if I was flicking through the dials in a year or two and came across it. It played too much like a West Wing episode set in 1865. But I am also baffled by the love for SLP. I thought it was a mess in a lot of ways, almost as schizophrenic in tone as its main character (unless that was the point, then maybe it's brilliant!).

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

No, but I think "Argo" might.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

Right Argo first, then Les Miz

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

R5, go figure? Played like West Wing? You think West Wing had writing (screenplay) as good as Lincoln, not to mention the acting and production? SLP was the best ensemble piece I have seen in years. It was charming. What is your idea of good movie?

I don't care which one wins. I'm just glad I saw both of them- great movies. Just shows you that Hollywood can make an original movie with plot and story without being dominated by special effects, guns, blood and guts and explosions.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Argo will not win, because it didn't get nominated for best direction.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

Les Mis is dead. Argo and SLP are the only alternatives to Lincoln.

Between SLP, Argo and Lincoln I would vote for SLP.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

I thought SLP was brilliant, best picture of the year.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

R9, clearly that's never happened before.

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

How much disposable income does Harvey Weinstein have to buy votes this year?

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

Agree with your comment, r13...but "Silver Linings Playbook" is a really great movie.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

[quote]I thought it was a mess in a lot of ways, almost as schizophrenic in tone as its main character

I think it was, with all the cuts and the camera constantly moving. It's all very frenetic until he meets Tiffany, then things turn more normal.

I'm not a fan of David O. Russell's movies but this one was the first that I liked. Really good and very rewatchable (which Lincoln is not), even the somewhat fairy tale ending worked for me. The only bad thing I could say about SLP is that the actors playing the doctor and the old betting friend of De Niro's character were HORRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

SLP was horribly written. The psychiatrist tries experiments by playing "trigger" songs in his lobby to see if his patient freaks out? That's completely unethical and unlikely. And he hangs out at his patient's house by the end of the movie, even while the patient is still in therapy! And is thrilled to hang out with him at sports games!

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

I hope so! Loved SLP.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

SLP is a thoroughly enjoyable piece of crapola. If it beats Lincoln, which I find totally superior in terms of writing, acting and production it will be similar to the year Ordinary People( another middlebrow ,flyover favorite) beat Raging Bull, a movie now considered a classic.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

...or The King's Speech beating The Social Network.

...or Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan.

...or Chariots of Fire beating Reds.

...or Kramer vs. Kramer beating Apocalypse Now.

...or Rocky beating everything else that was nominated that year.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

"Silver Linings Playbook" is the sappiest pile of shit movie ever. HATED IT.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

Sappy? I don't think you've seen it .

I hate romance which is why I think I really dug Silver Linings. It's a romance without any of the romance.

Plus, the leads never even have sex! You never see that in romantic movies.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

[quote] Ordinary People( another middlebrow ,flyover favorite)

Please just dieeeeee!

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

Silver Linings is ridiculously over-rated. It would be a travesty if it won the Best Picture Oscar. Which of course doesn't mean that it won't.

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

Brett Easton Ellis needs to stop

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2013

[quote] Played like West Wing? You think West Wing had writing (screenplay) as good as Lincoln, not to mention the acting and production?

Early Sorkin written episodes of The West Wing were very similar to Lincoln in that: we saw the machinations of how the President's people got deals made through all kinds of back-alley methods, plus more importantly, the president would frequently stop the show in its tracks to tell a folksy story that would seem irrelevant until the story ended and then the awed listeners would realize that a very imporant lesson had been taught by their wise leader.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2013

No, but I do think Beasts of the Southern Wild could.

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2013

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD was stupid. I mean, what was the point? It played more like a film school project than a real movie. I hated how some things were quickly forgotten. Like when Hushpuppy accidentally sets her house on fire, but instead of fleeing she just goes inside a cardboard box. Meanwhile, her father (who lives in an adjacent structure) comes to bail her out, but she wont' respond. Finally, she gets out of the cardboard box and runs out of the house. He spots her and begins chasing after her. When he finally catches up, he smacks her and then has a heart attack (or whatever his ailment is). The whole burning house thing is completely forgotten. It's mentioned a little later, when the father says now Hushpuppy has to live with him. But it's not mentioned how the fire was put out. It wasn't raining and there were no fire brigades nearby, and the fire was blazing.

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2013

Problem R 22?

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2013

It's called a plot device, r27. It had to do with Hushpuppy's parental situation which the voiceover explained almost blatantly. I also think that a film that includes deliberately unreal aspects should have permission to not explain everything.

If BofSW doesn't win, it's because of a million reasons other than the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2013

{quote]Argo will not win, because it didn't get nominated for best direction.

Director has nothing to do with it this year. Movies have won Best Picture without Best Director. It's not impossible and "Les Miz" is far from dead.

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013

[quote]Movies have won Best Picture without Best Director. It's not impossible and "Les Miz" is far from dead.

It's not impossible, true; but it's only happened three times, and two of them were in the very early years of the awards ("Wings" and "Grand Hotel"). It's only happened once in relatively modern times, and that was more than twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2013

"Crash" won Best Pic the year "Brokeback Mountain" won Best Director.

Lots of directors have been winning the trophy without their films doing the same. Soderbergh, Spielberg, Polanski...

I think this will be another of those years.

And yes, "SLP" could upset "Lincoln". "Lincoln" is more admired than beloved. The only awards it is winning are for DDL thus far...

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2013

R29, that reminds me, what's up with the aurocks in the movie? Why were they swine? Real-life aurochs were bovine.

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2013

R32, they're talking about situations where the director is not even NOMINATED. Keep up.

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2013

R32, the difference is CRASH, TRAFFIC, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, and THE PIANIST were nominated for both Picture and Director. DRIVING MISS DAISY wasn't nominated for Director but still won Picture. That's why R31 mentioned it and WINGS and GRAND HOTEL. None of those films were nominated for Director yet still won for Picture. LES MIZ, ARGO, and ZERO DARK THIRTY got a Picture nom each, but if either wins, it would be the first time since DRIVING MISS DAISY that a film won the ultimate prize without a Director nod, and only the 4th in the Academy's 85th year history. A rare feat.

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2013

It's a romcom, there are no romcoms that are great movies. It's embarrassing enough that Jennifer Lawrence is considered the favorite for Best Actress, the Academy would lose all credibility if they it gave it Best Picture too.

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2013

[quote] "Lincoln" is more admired than beloved.

"Lincoln" is the sort of important prestige movie that the Academy likes to take pride in and is supposed to reward, but SLP is very appealing emotionally. "Lincoln" is the front runner, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if SLP pulled an upset and won.

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2013

Why, R36, 'cause the Oscars should only be for serious melodramas? Get a clue!

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2013

Lost me at sports metaphor.

by Anonymousreply 3901/24/2013

R5- he's bipolar, not schizophrenic. There's a difference, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2013

"The psychiatrist tries experiments by playing "trigger" songs in his lobby to see if his patient freaks out? That's completely unethical and unlikely."

Psychiatrists sometimes do unethical things. And as for unlikely, it's a very offbeat and freewheeling comedy where the criticism of unlikelihood of a minor character's foibles seems wholly misplaced.

Personally I didn't love the movie, but I disagree with you that it's horribly written. It's a good diverting movie, and one of the few romantic comedies of recent years that didn't make me want to throw something at the screen.

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2013

No, because romcoms are an inherently cheesy genre, they all suck.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2013

Argo Best PIc Speilberg Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 4301/24/2013

Out of Argo, SLP and Lincoln I would say Argo was the best-directed of the three, and I am not a Ben Affleck fanboy either. I thought he was the worst part of the movie actor-wise.

by Anonymousreply 4401/24/2013

SLP Is actually kind of an insult to anyone who has or has known someone with bipolar disorder. The scenes of his therapy are unbelievable in their stupidity.

The Oscar nominees for BP in order of their quality: 1) Lincoln 2) Armour 3) Beasts of the Southern Wild 4) Argo ( a great popcorn movie, the kind of thing Hollywood does really well) 5) Django (crazy but utterly original) Life of Pi (beautifully executed)

The rest are flyover crap.

by Anonymousreply 4501/24/2013

Lincoln is lovely movie, but not as entertaining as Silver Linings Playbook. I know everyone agrees with me here.

by Anonymousreply 4601/24/2013

I'm bipolar and I was cracking up at some of the things Bradley Cooper would say and do because it hit so close to home.

by Anonymousreply 4701/24/2013

r33 - I found this:

[quote]I don’t think most people had ever heard the word “aurochs.” So we figured we could make them whatever we wanted to make them.

From this article

by Anonymousreply 4801/24/2013

It wasn't so bad when Saving Private Ryan lost. Shakespeare in Love wasn't best picture material but Saving Private Ryan wasn't so great either. The modern day scenes were awful.

by Anonymousreply 4901/24/2013

R48, thanks for the article. I looked up Ray Tintori, the second-unit director, and damn he's hot!

by Anonymousreply 5001/24/2013

Wow. He is cute!

by Anonymousreply 5101/24/2013

You are very welcome, r50. I found a featurette that features Ray at about 2:10. For me, BotSW could be this year's Crash in that it could upset in the same fashion. Where Lincoln feels to clinical and made to be admired, BotSW has cinematic qualities that excel.

SLP was rather insulting in the way it approached mental health, but had one of the best ensemble casts in recent memory. Honestly, I don't think it has a chance at best picture.

by Anonymousreply 5201/24/2013

I would be pissed if BofTW wins, it wasn't that great.

by Anonymousreply 5301/24/2013

Since Argo just won the PGA, it looks like Lincoln is losing momentum. If Lincoln with its huuuuuge cast of respected actors does not win big at the SAGs tonight, I would say it is no longer the BP frontrunner.

If SLP wins Best Ensemble, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and possibly Best Actor at the SAGs then it will position itself as the new frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 5401/27/2013

Yes, r54, and I think SLP will probably win best ensemble tonight. The actors branch love the movie, enough to get Jackie Weaver nominated at the oscars.

Since DDL is the face of Lincoln it could be easy for them to just vote for him. SLP is very much an ensemble piece, with Jennifer Lawrence as the MVP.

by Anonymousreply 5501/27/2013

Best Picture: Argo

Best Director: Stephen Spielberg

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence

Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway

Jones looked like a complete asshole at the Globes so no way of knowing if that will hurt his chances. Lawrence probably got dinged for her First Wives Club quote and SNL performance but people still love her.

Possible "WTF?" upset: Silver Linings Playbook sweep.

by Anonymousreply 5601/27/2013

If Lincoln is not receiving so much love I would be surprised if it will be able to capture two acting trophies. Director and Lead Actor are still shoe-ins IMO. If Jones does not win tonight, he will not win in February.

IMO the mistake the studio made with "Lincoln" was titling it "Lincoln" and selling it as a biopic. If they had titled it "Abolition" or "Emancipation", the Academy wouldn't DARE give the trophy to anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2013

Argo won all its awards at the Golden Globes, won't win anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5801/27/2013

No. If it came out in the 70's (or even the 80's) when somewhat-intelligent dramas about adults were more commonplace in the market, it would've been seen for how middling it actually is and subsequently ignored. The fact that it got as much awards attention as it has is pretty generous.

Jennifer Lawrence still has a shot at Best Actress, though.

by Anonymousreply 5901/27/2013

When does Lincoln start to pick up?

My co-worker said he fell asleep after the first scene. He said the scene was very good, but the movie was just too slow.

by Anonymousreply 6001/27/2013

Also, I "work" at a lemonade stand and my "coworker" is 5.

by Anonymousreply 6101/27/2013

r45, you really think very highly of yourself to declare your opinion as fact.

Fucking Oscar season. I love most of the films that come out, but fucking hate it when losers with hideous taste and no credentials start spewing shit out of their ass about why their opinions are right and everyone else is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6201/27/2013

"Argo won all its awards at the Golden Globes, won't win anymore."

The AFI disagrees with you, R58. They named Argo best film yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 6301/27/2013

[quote]It's a romcom, there are no romcoms that are great movies

The romcoms of the '30s and '40s stomp all over the sort of strenuously important movies beloved by the Academy and illiterate high school teachers.

by Anonymousreply 6401/27/2013

E! Just announced that Jennifer Lawrence is in serious condition with pnemonium. Guys, send some goods thoughts to her, please.

by Anonymousreply 6501/27/2013

Why does the New Yorker hate David O. Russell?

by Anonymousreply 6601/27/2013

Isn't David O. supposed to be a real asshole? Didn't the Cloonster get into a heated shouting match with David O. on the set of Three Kings when he witnessed David O. belittling some extras?

by Anonymousreply 6701/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!