Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm Starting Jenny Craig Today

Damn, it's expensive. I plan to chisel it down by doing the 5 day a week plan after my first month and do my own breakfast (egg whites. $10 a carton at Costco).

I want to lose 25 lbs. Carrie Fisher lost 50 lbs. She's put some of it back on, but I don't have her emotional problems and don't take antidepressant drugs that help people pile on the pounds.

I will let you know at the end of the month if I've lost any weight. Oh -- and it cost just about $600. I'm not paying that again, so if they want to keep me, we'll negotiate.

by Anonymousreply 6402/17/2013

Your money would be much better spent on Weight Watchers.

What do you expect will happen when you stop Jenny Craig?

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I got on it in August. I need to lose 90lbs! (Yes, I know, I know. I'm a fatty bear. But I wasn't always, I promise).

Actually I'm wrong. Just looked and I joined back in June. I did it to a science and began losing weight. The food is not the most healthy but I REALLY did my research on it before I started. Consumer Reports has listed it as the best, most reliable and trustworthy weight loss plan/system twice, including in its most recent ranking. It even beat out Weight Watchers.

All that said, yes, it's painfully inexpensive. I modified it myself. I'm a guy and they started me out on like 2,000 calories a day. I knew I could cut that down, so I insisted on doing the 1500 calorie per day plan. I counted every calorie I took in, (I use the Daily Plate/LiveStrong app. It's the very best and has more foods and confirmed nutritional info. than any other. I've tried several apps so trust me, the LiveStrong/DailyPlate App is THE best.)

I went off it in November, gained ALL the weight back; Eating like a sow after my partner and I went through a hard few months. I'm back on it now but what I did was to eliminate the breakfast. I LOVE those Florentine Pizza things but that shit is like $7 each! I'm using the recipe for the Mini Spinach Quiche Cups from the SouthBeach Diet book. I'm having two of those each morning on a whole wheat Thomas' English Muffin-Lite. That means that my expensive, Jenny Craig breakfast, at over 220 calories, is now down to barely half that.

I'm using Jenny food for lunch and dinner and, if I can keep it up this time and keep myself in the gym, I'm going to wean off it.

Happy to hear someone else here is doing it.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

Sorry, I meant to say that it's "painfully EXPENSIVE", not inexpensive.

Also, their weight loss counselors are not all registered dieticians as they would suggest. I finally stopped using mine. A really friendly, nice guy.. But nothing I haven't heard before, especially being a guy who used to know his way around a gym. I appreciated the support but just couldn't do a confessional with some stranger over the phone in California every week who would say things like "There is no "U" in fail!" etc. Ughh! I think they read out of some cheesy 'Motivationals for Fat People' book or something.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

A few friends have had great success with this, tarted it 5 weeks ago, now down almost 10 pounds. I don't know why it cost OP 600 bucks to join. I joined for one year and it cost about 250. The weekly visits to the diet counselor have been helpful. She lost 120 pounds and has kept it off for 8 years.

The fact that the meals are so processed concerns me. I too am eating my own breakfast of egg white omelet or yogurt and fruit. I make sure to eat salads and/or fresh veggies. By doing this, the weekly costs of JC meals is about 70 dollars, plus produce. Actually I am spending much less on meals, since I eat out less often and spend nothing on wine and Whole foods prepared stuff.

The main thing is the portion control. Hopefully, by time my goal of 50 pounds is reached, I will have learned to monitor that.

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

Your money would be better spent on whole, unprocessed foods. And you'd lose more weight and be healthier too. For a lot less money.

So many people are suckers for advertisements and products and easily convinced they want something they really don't need.

Good luck, OP. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

I really don't think OP is looking for advice on how his/her money will be better spent. Obviously there are better, fresher foods than Jenny Craig and other meal plans, but that isn't the point of them. The point is to control and track the food you're eating to get you to a point where you're not eating it anymore. i.e., it's to lose weight and to worry about the quality of food and cooking food yourself later on down the line.

The OP's claim of it costing $600 is spot on. That's what I was paying for it. But the OP is no doubt having it shipped, which is what I did. I'm in New York and going to a Jenny store to buy the food, PLUS having the headache of having to sit and talk to one of their weird ass "counselors" (i.e. the weird middle aged woman who was working at Radio Shack just last week) is a massive pain in the ass.

Jenny Craig as their 'Jenny at Home' program. You have to pay like $50 to have two weeks of food shipped to you, but they don't charge for the second two week shipment. Getting food for each meal along with any extras like salad dressing is about $600 per month. So, yeah. Expensive. PLUSE you have the cost of the annual 'membership'.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

He was looking for advice, R6, and he got the best.

"Worry later" means you have put off the inevitable, and it will cost you, in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

I'm thinking you could probably pretty much replicate the program by using much less expensive packaged foods like Lean Cuisine, etc.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

R5, I think meal plans are the wave of the future because they control content and portions without forcing the consumer to think.

You'd be surprised at the number of people with granite kitchens who do not cook or don't think they have time to cook.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

I hear you R1; but people who get to the point where they're using a meal plan/weight loss system simply can't overwhelm themselves with everything. Sometimes, just getting the weight DOWN is the most vital, crucial thing. There is time for re-education on food nutrition and cooking later on. To their credit, Jenny Craig offers that sort of guidance from what I've read. I have no idea about Weight Watchers and such but I'm guessing they do as well.

OP and many other likely realize that fresh fruits and vegetables are better for you and that you should cook this or make that to be more healthy, but the immediate need to lose some weight often has to trump that in the beginning.

Oh, and the OP never asked for advice, though no doubt he/she should have expected to get it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

I lost 40 on it and most of it has come back, but I don't blame the program.

I went back on it the other day and they asked, 'why do you think the weight came back?'

"umm...I ate too much?"

I'm pissed I have to start all over again, but that anger will fuel me, I suppose.

It is hard work to lose and so easy to gain once stress and life shit starts happening.

When you regain some you don't always have that desire to keep trying because, well, clothes still fit and people haven't noticed, but then there's that next five and the next five.

I'm off to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

I'm not sure I agree that it is expensive relative to the amount of money you would be spending on food - when you were at your fattest were you probably were eating out a lot or getting take out and I'll bet if you add it up you were spending twice as much. the problem with this program is I don't think it's as easy to un-learn bad habits and relearn new ones which I think is WW strength. Anyhow OP I think you have courage and I know it's not easy. I spent many years as a thin in shape person working very hard at it and thanks to an accident I can't work out and have gained a ton of weight - I'm thinking of trying WW or GC - good luck

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

Weight Watchers teaches you how to make healthy choices from the beginning. They also have pre-packaged food available but it is not the core of the program.

There's no time like the present to start learning how to eat healthy--it's an essential skill. And more likely to help you maintain weight loss. And much cheaper.

And yes, when you post on the DL you get comments. I'm pretty sure OP is not surprised, even though you seem to be.

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

Overall I do think WW is better, but people are different and for some, Jenny Craig is what they need. My mother did Jenny Craig instead of Weight Watchers, and for her, it was a better choice. She can't count calories or keep track of points; it leads to very unhealthy behavior on her part. So something that accustoms people to seeing and eating small portions rather than eating a certain number of points of whatever they want every day is much better suited to her life.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

Fair enough, and best wishes for your mom, R14.

Do you know how long she plans on staying on JC?

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

Weight Watchers is only good for women, middle aged/stay at home women.

I tried them and yes, they have a good program which has been around a long time. But it's awkward and weird and just a support group designed for and geared primarily to women of a certain age. I know it works for many, but I think Jenny Craig is successful because they make it easier and take out a lot of the guess work, etc.

Plus Consumer Reports is a good source to consider when considering these types of things, and they say Jenny Craig is #1.

You have to be a member to read those reviews and recommendations but if anyone's interested, I can try to log in and grab some screen shots of their rankings.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

r15, the frozen meals are supposed to be temporary and are phased out after a few months. She's now started replacing one meal with food she cooks.

I don't know if she'll be able to stick with the smaller portion sizes. I'm not sure what is going to stop her from just eating larger and larger portions of what she cooks. I guess there is a built-in safety net with Jenny Craig, in that if you start gaining, you can always go back on their prepared meal program.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

Use myfitnesspal or another calorie counting site. It's cheaper and you get to eat what you want to eat.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

I wasn't looking for advice. I was just saying' I started Jenny Craig today and I'll tell you guys in a month how I did.

R4, I think you're talking about the fee. I was talking about the cost of the food. I'm not paying a fee. I am doing the "one month free program". I'm trying out their foods. If I decide to continue, they're going to have to work with me to get the price of food down by about $125. I'll do the My Days program (5 days a week) and substitute my own breakfast.

Let me just emphasize that the "one month free program" does not mean free food. It means they waive their fee. You still pay for the food. My mother is on it and I asked why she pays less for food and they told me they give seniors a 10% discount.

I get my first phone all from a "counselor" tonight (eye roll). I know my problem s overeating, plus I moved from the city to the countryside. I used to walk a few miles a day in the city without even thinking about it. Here, you take your life in your hands when you go for a walk. . There's always construction/remodeling going on here, so there are always drunk guys working for contractors vrooming around in crappy trucks. I need exercise for sure.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

When I said I wasn't asking for advice, I meant to quote r1, who said I came here for advice. I didn't. I don't mind chatting about it, but I'm doing the JC thing and I'm doing it because it's easy. I've tried on my own and I get sidetracked. If I'm paying $600, I'm damn well gonna stick with their program. So I'm forcing myself to do it.

I'm a little doubtful about it. It's very hard for me to lose weight. I'm thinking it will take me 4 months to lose 10 lbs. that would mean something like a year for 25lbs. I'm short. I have to eat fewer calories than the average person and accept it.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

OP don't be discouraged. I know overweight people receive a lot of scorn and blame here, but losing weight isn't the same process for everyone.

Due to thyroid issues I have difficulty losing weight. WW has not worked for me, even when following the points program the scale hardly budges. I have lost almost 10 pounds in about 6 weeks on JC. The first week almost 4, and a half pound or pound each week thereafter. I walk most days for about 45 minutes, nothing special, just outdoors.

I've accepted that it will take longer for me to lose weight, even when making the same efforts as others. The important thing is to stick with it, feeling better and improving health is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

Here'a a bit of advice, that will save you a lot of money: EAT LESS and CUT OUT THE SUGAR FROM YOUR DIET. It's free and you'll end up losing more weight than doing one of those stupid diets and you'll actually save money.

I did, and lost 50 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

My first day on the program t"oday.

I get a call from the manager of the JC center I go to.

"How are you?"

"Oh. Have you eaten any of the free foods?"

"No, but I know what they are. Listen, I know the routine -- I could be a rep there. It's just HELL getting through this first week."

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2013

Cat food.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2013

OP, ignore the incessant trolls who keep posting shit like R22.

Keep it up, stick with it. You'll be glad you did!!!

by Anonymousreply 2601/25/2013

did you still have to hand crank her first?

by Anonymousreply 2701/25/2013

Heave forbid you should just stop eating.

by Anonymousreply 2801/25/2013

Why not just do it yourself?

You can't search around on the internet or go to bookstores and read health magazines?

It's not that difficult to lose weight on your own.

Simple as that!!

by Anonymousreply 2901/25/2013

What are the 'free foods" on Jenny Craig? Are they the same as the 0 points ones on Weight Watchers? (Most fruits & vegetables)

by Anonymousreply 3001/25/2013

yes most veggies and some fruits

encouraged to keep the fruit at 2 a day

you can also have aup of greek yogurt in place of milk, diet jello, etc

JC snacks are built in (small dessert servings, "infused" with fiber and protein, not bad though)

by Anonymousreply 3101/25/2013

Thanks for giving me more money to support Republicans, fag!

by Anonymousreply 3201/25/2013

[quote] Weight Watchers is only good for women, middle aged/stay at home women.

That's bullshit. The men in my group lost rather quickly and it worked really well for them. We hated them. Almost no one in my group was a middle aged/stay at home woman.

[quote] just a support group designed for and geared primarily to women of a certain age.

Again bullshit. Maybe I lucked out because I know groups are different and it depends on the area and maybe the group leader. I attended my WW meetings near Dupont Circle and my group was on the younger side which included men and had a mix of gays and straights. I attended a meeting elsewhere once which wasn't as much fun as my "home" team but I still learned a lot.

Good luck, OP. Whatever works for you.

by Anonymousreply 3301/25/2013

Remember Kirstie Alley used to be their spokesperson? Look how that turned out.

I think people seem to have better results with WW.

by Anonymousreply 3401/25/2013

It's true. One good Vegan cookbook from Amazon for $15 will cure all of your problems for life, including weight.

by Anonymousreply 3501/25/2013

So far, the food is surprisingly tasty. The shelf stable stuff isn't very good; it tastes like Dinty Moore, but the frozen stuff is not bad.

There are certain vegetables that are free-- you can have all the broccoli and cauliflower you like. Since I really like them, I will eat them as in between meal snacks.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2013

Better stock up on Gas-X.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2013

Sorry to tell you OP, but if you can't lose weight and keep it off on your own, you won't be able to do it on Jenny Craig. The only thing you're going to lose and never get back is all the money you're going to shell out to that scam outfit.

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2013

OP / R36 -

Again, ignore the cunt trolls like R38 who troll here only to projec their own misery. JC is a great way to kick-start a new way to live, just don't give up.

After a while I started ordering more of the shelf-stable stuff because it's MUCH less expensive and doesn't crowd your freezer.

When you're really hungry and if you're not big on eating a salad, what I do is ass a cup or more of chopped up baby spinach to those chilis, especially the turkey chili. I get in the veggies, more fiber and it's good. I also add some chipotle Tabasco sauce or Siracha sauce.

On occasion, when I was STARVING and knew I'd needed more that night, I keep on hand those microwavable packs of Uncle Bens While Grain Ready Brown Rice (I think it's whole grain anyway, maybe just brown)- Takes 90 seconds in the microwave; spoon in a couple of tablespoonfuls into a bowl, pour in your heated JC chili, maybe with that spinace and you have a HUGE bowl of chili and spinach. Very good, especially if you're a hungry guy like I am.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 3901/27/2013

Sorry: "ass" should have been "add" and "projec", "PROJECT".

Ugh, and "While Grain" should have been "WHOLE grain". Apologies OP.

by Anonymousreply 4001/27/2013

OP keep with will sooner or later have to find ways to make the meals palatable...

I find that the prepared meals don't seem to satisfy my reasonable hunger. My counselor suggested I volumize meals as R39 suggests.

I often take one of the prepared meals, such as the curry chicken

I steam a few cups of broccoli, then put the JC meal over it. Or I throw in a few handfuls of frozen veggies when i heat the chili. That way you have a more filling meal and are getting the benefits of fresh veggies.

I also make salad dressing out of lime juice, greek yogurt, white pepper, and cilantro. I don't like the chemical taste of the jenny dressing.

To save money, skip the prepared breakfasts. Have an egg white omelet and a half piece of whole grain toast. Or greek yogurt with fruit and a half piece toast.

by Anonymousreply 4101/27/2013

If you want a portioned meal can't you use Atkins or Weight Watchers frozen meals?

by Anonymousreply 4201/27/2013

Don't pay money to lose weight. Just eat small extra healthy meals, drink lots of water and exercize enough for your body type. It isn't rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 4301/27/2013

Yeah R41, I'm gonna skip the breakfasts next month.

I usually eat vegetables with the meals. Last night I had fish and chips and I steamed some broccoli and carrots to go with it. I'm going to ask if I can substitute vegetables for fruit because I just don't like fruit. I'd rather eat green beans or cauliflower or red cabbage than fruit. I think I'll make Weight Watchers cabbage soup as well. I halve the amount of cabbage because my stomach gets waaay to upset with the amount the recipe calls for. But you get your cabbage, onion, garlic, beans, carrots and I usually thrown in a few peas -- they won't kill me or totally derail my diet. Weight Watcher's cabbage soup is probably the same concept as Jenny Craig's soupatizers, only fresher and cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 4501/27/2013

OP, I've done both. WW and JC. 60 year old guy, currently at 190, down from 219. This 30 pound loss has taken me 5 months, but I'm close to goal, and feeling much better about my weight and general health

Currently on Jenny Craig and I agree with you about the shelf stable stuff, or MREs as I refer to them. I keep one or two in my drawer as a last resort. I, too, have been bothered by the expense of the program, so I quickly went to the 5/2 plan and have managed to keep food costs between $75 and $90 most weeks.

I quickly realized (by comparing nutritional labels) that there are equivalents for almost everything on the Jenny Craig menu. While I love their Key Lime Pie, it's something like $2.79 a serving. The Smart Choice Key Lime are nearly identical in both caloric and nutritional content, so I stopped getting the deserts and started using the Smart Choices ones. I saved myself something like $20 bucks a week on that alone.

The Healthy Choices breakfasts are also very close to JC breakfast selections and at my local super, they're 5 for $10. Once you've learned the drill, (after the first month) buy the frozen food directly and wean yourself off the marked up JC food.

Weight Watchers worked for me about 5 years ago, but the group I went to changed leaders and I loathed the new leader, who was a "happy talk" enthusiast. She began each meeting with "I really LOVE this topic..." to the point that it became laughable. I'd say 60% of the people in my group were young mothers, with a sprinkling of gay men. I lost 40 pounds on WW (yeah, yeah..I know. The same 40 I went back to JC to lose) so, it all depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it. I find it quicker and easier to eat prepared food than try and cook for myself and exercise restraint in terms of portion control. Good luck. I hope you get to goal.

by Anonymousreply 4601/27/2013

To all the scoffers and negatives R44...if it were easy to accomplish everyone would be thin.

If JC works for a discouraged person, so be it. After struggling to lose weight this is working for me.

R45 try this soup in place of lunch or dinner...if you omit the tofu you can have it as a free soup...have a bowl when you are hungry or before a meal.

Vegetarian hot Pot

5 and 1/4 cups stock (reduced sodium veggie stock or chicken)....4 slices fresh ginger....2 cloves crushed garlic...1 tsp canola oil...1 tsp toasted sesame oil...5 tsp rice vinegar...2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce...1/4 tsp crushed red pepper....1 and 3/4 sliced shitake mushrooms...1 small bok choy cut into 1/2 inch pieces, stems and leaf separated...1 cup grated carrots...1 firm tofu (drained, pat dry, cut into 1/2 in cubes....1/4 cups chopped scallions for garnish

1. combine broth, garlic and ginger in a large covered pot. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, then discard garlic and ginger. Place in the chopped bok choy leaves and grated carrot. Add the soy sauce and rice vinegar.

2. Heat the sesame oil and canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and crushed pepper, cook stirring often for 3 to 5 minutes. Add bok choy stems, cook stirring until tender, 3 or 4 minutes.

At this point I throw in the grated carrot, Add the mushrooms and bok choy stems and the tofu.

I often make the soup but don't add the tofu. I freeze it as servings and just add in the amount of tofu I need when heated.

You may use tofu lite if you prefer.

If you are counting this as a meal with the tofu, you can add a small amount of whole wheat chinese noodles as well.

by Anonymousreply 4701/27/2013

OP is the girl from Hot in Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 4801/27/2013

OP have you lost any weight yet?

I'm down 8 pounds since Jan 1 using - FREE & much healthier. You log in the foods YOU want to eat or are eating. There's tons of support there.

There's also loseit as well, livestrong, sparkpeople, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4901/27/2013

[quote] I'm Starting Jenny Craig Today

I didn't realize she had stopped. What are you using? Hand crank? Defibrillator?

by Anonymousreply 5001/27/2013

Do South Beach. I'm practically down to model weight after only 11 days on this diet. those other plans don't work. you gotta eliminate carbs to break your insulin resistance. it stops you from craving bad food.

south beach is the greatest diet ever if you want tangible results. it's amazing. good food too!

by Anonymousreply 5101/27/2013

I hate to see people give money to the diet industry when eating non-processed foods would produce equal or greater weight loss, as well as better overall nutrition. The processed food and diet industries would fade away if more people did this.

by Anonymousreply 5201/27/2013

You are supposed to include one or two cheat days a week while getting fit. Jenny Craig et al do not allow for that.

If you are built like a runner (tall, with narrow shoulders), then you know you need to get out and run to get fit. Lean meats and vegetables will help you. You can also get away with eating a lot of fruit.

If you are stocky, then weight lifting and isometric exercise is best with an emphasis on protein and veggies. It is okay for this type to enjoy a chocolate bar once a week.

Eat unprocessed, unpackaged foods--this means no frozen dinners! All that shit gets gunked up in your body and trapped as toxins. REad the labels--if you can't pronounce the words then don't eat it!

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2013

End of first week. I lost 2 lbs. That's fine with me.

My stomach is quite rumbly because it isn't used to so much salad. All that roughage is making its way noisily through my system. And the broccoli and cauliflower, of course.

I'm pooping quite well every day, so that means everything is proceeding.

I wouldn't mind losing two pounds every week.

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2013

You all are so stupid and sad. Just eat real food...that's all you need to do.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly hard is that, exactly?

Do you have ANY idea what is in all of your processed Jenny Craig Franken-food? It isn't even worthy of the word "food".

Just buy some fucking vegetables and take a walk, you weak sacks of chemically dependent shit.

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2013

[quote]I didn't realize she had stopped. What are you using? Hand crank? Defibrillator?

Sidesplitting corny uncle humor.

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2013

Congrats OP. Get used to the rumblings.

Just ended week 6, ten and a half pounds.

Let's ignore all the critics and keep going.

by Anonymousreply 5702/01/2013

I believe in you, OP. It's hard but so worth it. Dropped nearly 100 pounds three years ago, about 30 have "snuck" back on in the last year and a half but I'm back at it now. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 5802/01/2013

I was supposed to receive a food shipment Friday but didn't get one. Bummer. I doubt I will get one today due to road flooding.

I'm up a half pound, which is surprising considering how much snow I shoveled trying to free my car.

by Anonymousreply 5902/11/2013

End of week 4, I've lost 5 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 6002/17/2013

R60 - nice job! My partner is always struggling with weight where I generally do not. I FINALLY found a weight watchers cookbook that meets the diet criteria but is still really good. You would be amazed at the quality of meals you can make if you put some effort into it.

by Anonymousreply 6102/17/2013

congrats OP

as posted before, after 6 weeks 10 pounds

the last 2 weeks not an ounce...but I am keeping with it

by Anonymousreply 6202/17/2013

Congrats OP

by Anonymousreply 6302/17/2013

5 lbs after 4 weeks? That's it? You must be eating too many dinners. You should be able to lose 5 lbs of water weight in the first week.

by Anonymousreply 6402/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!