Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do Our Bodies Have A 'Set Weight'

Say someone is obese. They change their diet. They lose a ton of weight. They stick to their diet. The weight keeps coming off. Does your body finally alert itself to stop dropping weight at some point? Keep in mind that the person is not starving themselves.

If someone was 300 lbs. They go down to 180lbs. Then 150lbs. Then 135lbs. and so on, does the body say 'enough!'? If we do have a 'set weight' it'd be great to know what it in fact is.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 2201/24/2013

I don't know. For myself, I think there's a weight range that's easiest (and realistic) for me to maintain.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 101/24/2013

A long while ago, there was a diet book called "The Set Point Diet" that promulgated such a theory.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 201/24/2013

Someone who has a disorder causing them to lose to much weight or who is dying of malnutrition will die at or before that person shrinks down below what you might be calling a 'set weight'.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 301/24/2013

You need to eat a certain amount of food per day to maintain a healthy body weight. The point behind a diet is to eat less than that so the body will use it's own fat stores to make up the difference.

Once you reach that ideal weight, you go on a "maintenance" diet where you consume more food than you did while on the diet, but theoretically only just enough to maintain that healthy weight, and not gain more.

That's the thinking, anyway.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 401/24/2013

Since 90% of people who do lose that much weight gain it all back, I have to say I think there probably is a 'natural' weight and its pointless to struggle against it. Better to spend your time and energy learning to accept and live as healthily as possible while being obese.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 501/24/2013

After a while your weight plateaus. You will not waste away due to diet and exercise. If your diet is 2000 calories per day, you will continue losing weight until that diet reaches its 'plateau'.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 601/24/2013

What R6 said. If you're actively dieting and exercising, your body eventually will get used to that and you will have to modify what you've been doing in order to lose.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 701/24/2013

My sticky points are 205, 178, 163, 152, and 140.

At those weights, I eat what I please and don't gain or lose. It took a shitload of resistance training and cardio to move down from one plateau to another - though the 140 weight was lack of appetite due to stress and it only lasted for a few months.

After ten years of weighing 163 I've creeped up to 178 fat and sluggish. I refuse to buy new pants so I have tires of lard hanging over the sides of my pants. I now wear clothing to shave and brush my teeth so I don't have to look at my fat body in the mirror.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 801/24/2013

Yes they have a set weight, that is why during the Siege of Leningrad when for 400 days no food entered the city, no one lost any weight.

And when the Germans refused to feed the concentration camp detainees they also didn't lose any weight.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 901/24/2013

[quote]Say someone is obese. They change their diet. They lose a ton of weight. They stick to their diet. The weight keeps coming off. Does your body finally alert itself to stop dropping weight at some point? Keep in mind that the person is not starving themselves.

Surely the person's obesity is not reason enough to use a plural pronoun.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1101/24/2013

Today is R10's first day on Datalounge.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1201/24/2013

There is actually - not in the way you are thinking. Say you weight 300 pounds and you lose 100 pounds. Your body will want to go back to that 300 pounds so you will have a lower BMR than someone who has been 200 lbs. Almost 20%. So if they can eat 2000 calories and not gain weight you would have to eat 1800 to maintain that weight. This is controlled by the hormone Leptin. Studies right now are administering leptin to help return that balance but it is in trials right now.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1301/24/2013

Holy crap, R10. You can't seriously have missed that R9 was being sarcastic.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1401/24/2013

I don't see anything in r9's post that comes across as sarcastic. Perhaps that is because I have encountered that very same abysmal ignorance when I worked for the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C.

And I'm being kind by calling it "ignorance".

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1501/24/2013

Was it volunteer work, R15?

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1601/24/2013

LMFAO

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1701/24/2013

r10 has the mentality of Michael Phelps and probably the face too, without the body and bank account of course.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1801/24/2013

[quote]I don't see anything in [R9]'s post that comes across as sarcastic

I thought it is freakin obvious

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 1901/24/2013

The person isn't on a diet, but changed their lifestyle completely.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 2001/24/2013

While OP attempts to use English to express irrational and ridiculous thoughts better left circulating through that sewer drain she calls a mind, her sister, R10, expressed outrage at a joke and assembles documentation that, YES, INDEED! starving people DO lose wait. You know, before they die.

Who can question the entertainment value of $18 a year. Even in a world where you can look out the window and see Afghan hounds shit for free?

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 2101/24/2013

I think so, OP.

Of course, that "set point" can creep up over time due to age or hormones. That's why it's so hard to lose that last 10 or 15 lbs.

I can lose it but if I stop working out or even cut my workout down to 1 hour a day, it comes right back.

Frustrating as hell.

by Non-fatty, but not anti-fattyreply 2201/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.