Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I saw Flight tonight

I'm not a fan of Denzel as a person but I think he gave a better performance than DDL...

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

Terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I thought it was okay R1 but not at all what I expected. I thought it would be focused on the airliner but it went another direction and was more about addiction and redemption.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

The movie isn't very good at least when it is not dealing with the crash. The relationship with the much younger gIRL (someone should have said he is old enough to be your father)rings false. Still Denzil is great he would get my vote...

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

Best movie of the year. Denzel better win the oscar for this one. If not then racism is afoot in H-town. He deserves it a hell of a lot more than Daniel Day Lewis or Huge Jackman

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

r5, you are not black, and stop trolling.

Anyway, Denzel gave an absolutely magnificent performance in Flight. One of the best of his storied career. The movie itself isn't as strong as his performance, so the nomination is his reward.

As far as Best Actor, I wish Hugh Jackman was getting more attention. He'd be my choice. He was perfect for Les Mis and was absolutely terrific, but (and here's where I'm gonna get a bit racial) white Hollywood liberals are in no way, shape, or form gonna miss out on an opportunity to reward DDL for playing a Great White Man (no matter how whitewashed a version of real events Lincoln is).

In a way, DDL's waltz to the podium is as much about white guilt as Octavia Spencer's was. Two years later and I still don't know what the fuck THAT Oscar was about other than being safely Mammy-fied enough to make the old white dudes that vote on Oscars comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

Um. No, r5. Maybe more than Jackman, but certainly not more than Day-Lewis or the unnominated Jean-Louis Trintignant.

Flight is a laughable film. Utterly ridiculous. Still, better than Beasts of the Southern Piece of Shit.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

Actors who will be voting for the most aren't racists. Producers on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

I cannot imagine anyone being better than DDL; but it is all subjective. I do know Denzel won an Oscar for Training Day that should have gone to Russell Crowe for a Beautiful Mind, because they did not give Denzel the Oscar when he really deserved one. That is the way it works in Hollywood. If you are overlooked you will eventually be the "old hat who paid his dues" and be awarded for a lesser performance. Jackman was great, but no way will a musical performance win.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

For the 100th time Octavia deserved her Oscar..

When Hugh sings that song and starts crying I think he knows he sucks and is deeply upset because he knows he won't get another take..

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

R6 This is R5. I never claimed to be black. I just think Mr. Washington deserves the Oscar, plain and simple. I'm sorry if I offended you, but I never claimed to be something that I am not.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!