Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I want to live in a gigabit city

FCC pushes for gigabit broadband in all 50 states by 2015

FCC's Julius Genachowski challenges service providers and local communities to build such networks, saying communities would turn themselves into innovation hubs that would create valuable jobs.

The Federal Communications Commission's chairman, Julius Genachowski, wants to see gigabit speed broadband services in all 50 states by 2015.

At a meeting of U.S. mayors in Washington, D.C., today, Genachowski called on municipal leaders and service providers to deploy gigabit speed broadband in at least one community in each of the 50 states in the next two to three years. Genachowski said that by participating in the "Gigabit City Challenge" communities would turn themselves into innovation hubs that would create valuable jobs for its citizens.

more at link

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

I remember in the 90s when 'This Old House' was pushing fiber optic cabling in all of its renovation projects.

The problem is that a fiber optic infrastructure still goes with copper wiring for 'the last mile' to your house, so true gigabit internet is watered down.

Gizmodo just did a piece on gigabit internet, if you're interested.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

I'm just envious it's not available in my 'hood.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2013

I don't see the big advantage of it, how much does anyone need to download at lightning fast speeds? Sure people would like to download an HD movie in 1 minute, but what other use does ultra-fast internet have to the average person?

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

Reddit explanation paraphrased for R3:

"Sometimes when I'm fucking my boyfriend, I pause and hold still for 30 seconds. When he asks why I've stopped, I tell him we're buffering."

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!