Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Los Angeles DLers

Who lives in Hollywood? What do you think is the best grocery store? The best pharmacy?

Note: Hollywood, not West Hollywood.

by Hollywoodreply 1801/25/2013

by Hollywoodreply 101/24/2013

Like, Western Ave Hollywood? Or Vermont?

by Hollywoodreply 201/24/2013

Vermont, or further west, like La Brea.

by Hollywoodreply 301/24/2013

I'm bicoastal now.

by Hollywoodreply 401/24/2013

Is rock n roll Ralphs still there?

by Hollywoodreply 501/24/2013

rock n roll ralphs was the best...hope it's still there

by Hollywoodreply 601/24/2013

There are a million stores in that area OP -- perhaps you might check Yelp.

by Hollywoodreply 701/24/2013

Rock and roll Ralphs is still there.

You will think I am very low rent but I really like Jons Market. Not for everything but they have a lot of imported stuff in bulk (spices, herbs, nuts, etc) for low prices and their produce is always the cheapest. Most everything else I buy at Trader Joes.

by Hollywoodreply 801/24/2013

Jon's is amazing for that stuff, esp the produce and fresh herbs.

by Hollywoodreply 901/24/2013

How gauche

by Hollywoodreply 1001/24/2013

Thanks. How about a pharmacy? I really don't like using Rite Aid or CVS, I prefer the neighborhood drug stores. Anyone use Ideal Pharmacy at Hollywood and La Brea? Others?

by Hollywoodreply 1101/24/2013

For groceries, I'd go a little farther afield and hit Gelson's on Franklin -- much better than Ralph's.

Independent Drug Store? Go into the valley, Dana Drug on Pass in Burbank. And there's a great card store connected to it.

by Hollywoodreply 1201/24/2013

Trader Joe's.

by Hollywoodreply 1301/24/2013

What do you want the pharmacy for, OP? To fill prescriptions? If so, then just go to Target (La Brea and Santa Monica) if you don't like RiteAid and CVS. There are very few independent pharmacies left in the city and the chains do it just as well and cheaper. And DEFINITELY check out Dana Drug - they have the best selection of small gifts and cards of anywhere around!

If you want a cheap, big grocery store, there's a Food 4 Less on Western and Santa Monica. It's the same as Ralphs, but with lower prices and a lot more ethnic foods.

Why do you not want to venture out of Hollywood, OP? There's not a lot of services in the area, and as LA is a car culture, people think nothing of driving a few miles to get what they need. You'd be better off going into West Hollywood or the mid-Wilshire/Hancock Park neighborhood (nice big Ralphs on Third and La Brea) or even Beverly Hills than trying to find what you need in Hollywood.

by Hollywoodreply 1401/24/2013

When I was a kid in Hollywood, it had everything in spades. Now it has nothing much, and all in belligerent (as opposed to relieved) foreign tones...

by Hollywoodreply 1501/25/2013

Rodeo Drive has some nice stores. Just don't walk into them clutching a hanfull of crumpled notes and say "I've got money".

by Hollywoodreply 1601/25/2013

Franklin and Western

by Hollywoodreply 1701/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!