Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So Women Can Serve in Combat - Should They Signup for the Draft?

I say yes. What do you say?

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013

This can only mean you want more situations, contexts, and women to complain about and deride.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

With equality comes responsibility. If we are going to require that men sign up for the draft, women should also do the same. While they may not be able to serve in a physical front line capacity, so much work now is technological. We cannot merely "talk the talk."

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

Women earn 77% as much as men in the U.S. That's hardly "equality."

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

Works in Israel. I don't see why not. The women who would sign up will be butcher than most men. I don't think it's a good idea to force women who don't want to. Heaven forbid some Kardashian has to actually do something worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

What draft? Isn't the whole point of the U.S. military now that it's "volunteer?" That's the current economic/political model. I guess the government learned it's lesson in Vietnam: don't send the middle class to a war that is televised. They fixed the problem by showing as little actual on the ground war footage as possible, and dismantling the middle class so the very poor will sign up because they'll want to eat. And apparently they want to eat at a Burger King in Afganistan.

BTW, I was completely ignorant about this issue. I'd thought women served in combat since the first Iraqi-U.S. war.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

Watch "The Invisible War" - so much sexual harassment already goes on in the army.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

U.S. servicemen raping women has reached epidemic proportions, partly because the military refused to admit was going on.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

There IS no draft. We have a volunteer military, remember? Or are you saying they should have to register for Selective Service?

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Now our young ladies fighting and dying will get their full due.

There are no more front lines in today's warfare.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2013

[quote]Or are you saying they should have to register for Selective Service?

The reason men are required to register with the Selective Service is so that they could immediately be drafted should Congress & the Pres. enact legislation providing for a military draft. "Registering for the draft" is a commonly used shorthand expression for the registration process.

Women are currently exempt from the requirement to register, but that could (& probably should) be changed now that they're eligible for combat.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2013

Hell hath no fury like Dykes with guns turned loose in Burka countries.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

Since when do you "sign up" for the draft (which we haven't had since the early 70s? You sign up for something voluntary. A draft is not voluntary.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2013

There should be a draft, and all young people who are physically able should serve at least 18 months. This works in many other countries.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2013

Not this woman.

I'll leave it to the trailblazers.... because I'm fond of my limbs and don't care to be raped-- by friend or foe.

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2013

Aree R10. There is nothing equal about continuing to have only men put their life on the line.

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2013

[quote] Since when do you "sign up" for the draft

Selective Service registration, which is required by males 18 or over by law, is in effect signing up for "the draft."

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2013

[quote] There should be a draft, and all young people who are physically able should serve at least 18 months. This works in many other countries.

Do you have any idea how much this will cost? Especially like we--unlike the Israelis--do not have impending war on our physical borders?

And as a matter of fact, this system of drafting all young people doesn't exist in any country you would probably like to be a part of.

PS Rape in the Isreali military is also rampant.

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2013

Women have always been in combat zones without being in 'combat' thus it's not like they don't put their lives in danger. Hell, they put their lives in danger by signing up for the military. Based on the stats re: rape and harassment, women deal with their own form of 'friendly fire'. A kind that most men wouldn't want to ever deal with.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2013

Well, if they ever do bring back the draft, I'm glad I'll be too old to fight. I don't think I'm cut out for combat. Someone starts shooting at me I'm running in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2013

There should be 18 months of national serive for all. That should include possible service in national parks, health agencies, and schools as well as military.

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.