Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just got HBO

What should I watch?

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2013

You should watch your cable bill go up.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

It actually went down. I was going to cancel and they lowered price and threw in HBO for $35 less/month.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

Their shows tend to be good: Game of Thrones, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Rome, Band of Brothers etc. A lot of their movies are great also like Game Change which they did recently.

Really not sure what you have seen and what you are into, but HBO definitely makes quality television. Dive in.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2013

The positive is you can get HBOGo. You can see all the series, movies and specials theyve ever ran on that website or App if you have an iPad.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2013

Big Love was really good for a few years.

Girls and the Laura Dern show, I think it might be called Enlightened. Bill Mahr. I love Boardwalk Empire.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2013

OP, just download the HBOGo app on your iPad, and you're good to go!

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2013

F&F all the HBO shills posting from HBO HQ.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2013

R7, they're answering OP's fucking question.

What a tiresome piece of shit you are.

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2013

Downton Abbey is really good.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2013

The Wire. The Sopranos. Girls.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

[quote]Downton Abbey is really good.

It sure is!

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2013

OP Here. Haven't checked yet but are all seasons of sox feet under available? I missed the final season.

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

Yes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2013

Watch True Blood and The Newsroom. Just know that True Blood gets more and more ridiculous with each season (I still watch it, though). The first season was really well done, though.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2013

You can go on any number of streaming sites like tvlinks and watch everything on HBO for free. Who still fucking pays for cable who isn't 100 years old?

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2013

R15 = moron law-breaker who doesn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

The Wire is one of the best shows to ever appear on TV. It's so layered and needs a lot of attention to detail while watching but is so worth it. I never saw it when it when it was on HBO, I've only watched it through DVD box sets over the last year (my BF watched it at the time it was on HBO and wanted to get me into it).

Kudos it was allowed to go 5 seasons. It's not for everyone but is BRILLIANT tv. From acting, writing, acting, cinematography, production design. It's genius across the board.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

The best shows on TV are on AMC now for free. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead.

HBO had it's day with Sopranos, Six Feet under, SATC, The Wire.

Today it's "Girls." Not worth that extra money a month for crap like that.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

Get Showtime. Then you can get Homeland.

HBO is shit these days.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

Girls, Girls, Girls. Lena Dunham gets fully naked!!

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

R15, you are both a thief and a moron.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

Get Starz so you that you can watch Spartacus. Amazingly well done plus hot men

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

[quote]The best shows on TV are on AMC now for free. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead.

So... is The Walking Dead really that good? Like, Breaking-Bad-good?

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

No R23. I enjoy the Walking Dead a lot but no.

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2013

The Walking Dead is more of the American Horror Story/The Killing calibre, maybe a step above typical USA/TNT basic cable fare. Fun and campy but not essential viewing.

Breaking Bad is airing its last 8 episodes this summer, and then it will be over. That makes me *immensely sad*, but I'm looking forward to what else Vince Gilligan can create.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2013

Watch my show Girls! Or as it was originally titled, "Cellulite In Motion."

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2013

R25:

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2013

Boardwalk Empire is fascinating and beautifully produced, but sometimes it just overwhelms me. There are so many minor characters to keep straight, some of whom are based on real people with whom it's assumed the viewer is familiar and who don't make sense if you don't know who they are (Warren Harding's attorney general and Justice Department aides, anyone?)...

I almost gave up in the first season because I couldn't keep all the gangsters in A.C./New York/Chicago straight.

Unlike Breaking Bad, which is blessedly simple yet original and stunning on every level from concept to execution.

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2013

Boardwalk is occasionally boring, and there's a lot of gratuitous violence to please the male audience, but it's always like taking a time-machine trip back to the 20s, that's what I love about it most. And they're just little 12 episodes seasons, even after 3 years there's only a 36 episodes, easy enough to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2013

[quote] The Wire is one of the best shows to ever appear on TV. It's so layered and needs a lot of attention to detail while watching but is so worth it. I never saw it when it when it was on HBO, I've only watched it through DVD box sets over the last year (my BF watched it at the time it was on HBO and wanted to get me into it).

It's worth it to watch these kind of shows consecutively at your own pace. I watched the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad on Amazon and when season 5 came on tv, I couldn't tolerate it. Well, it is on a network that shows commercial S, so that is a problem HBO doesn't have.

But still, things are kept fresh in yor mind; you can pause when you need to pee or talk to grandma on the phone, or cook dinner and then return to it. The shows are so much better when watched on DVD or a streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2013

R30 needs a TiVo.

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2013

If I can hijack the thread for a moment....

Anyone doing Roku or any of that kind of stuff?

We're paying almost $150 for a shitty Comcast bundle and trying to see if we have other choices.

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2013

I know nothing of Roku, but a friend got a Google TV, and it's complete shit.

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2013

Have Roku - love it. I pay for Netflix and HuluPlus (not a lot of $$ and has decent content).

Love the search feature on Roku - seems to work better than when you search in the actual service (i.e. Netflix)

Found Rosemary's Baby on Netflix! woohoo!

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2013

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Girls

Game of Thrones

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2013

Real Time with Bill Maher

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2013

How many HBOs, OP? HBO2, HBO Signature, HBO Latino?

HBO Latino is usually just dubbed versions of whatever's showing on the main HBO, but during prime time they'll often feature quality Spanish-language films in lieu of the Hollywood crap. It's a great addition to my cable lineup, and I'm grateful that it's part of the HBO package and not of my cable's Latino channel package, which is hugely expensive and mostly shit.

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2013

Am I the first to say "Enlightened"? It's the best.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2013

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

One time, True Blood was good.

Still on the fence about Girls

While not HBO shows, I think Breaking Bad is a far superior show to the Walking Dead but the WD is very entertaining. Both shows are worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 3901/24/2013

[quote]The Walking Dead is more of the American Horror Story/The Killing calibre, maybe a step above typical USA/TNT basic cable fare. Fun and campy but not essential viewing.

Anyone who would compare The Walking Dead to the Killing does NOT have a clue what they are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.