Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it possible for someone to die from social isolation?

Just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 1501/23/2013

Yes, it happens with infants who are not touched and caressed. It creates a condition called "failure to thrive" which can lead to death.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

Funny you should mention that, R1. I have a dear friend who is very depressed right now, and wishes to die. He was an orphan, and says he knows he was not touched and caressed as an infant, but rather left to stew in his own shit in his diaper, and he is feeling failure to thrive now as an adult. He just wants to die.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

Continued from 2:

I should add that my friend seems desperate to make contact with other people at this time. Also, he does what seem like strange things at times to get attention, and when he can't get positive attention, he is happy to settle for attention of the negative variety.

Who knows, maybe these attempts to meet others that I find "desperate" are attempts by his body and soul not to die, even though consciously, that's what he thinks he wants.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2013

r2 - that is heartbreaking. Please let him know that what he is feeling MAKES SENSE.

A good therapist will help him to build the neural networks that support the thrive mechanisms. He needs to get a compassionate trainer and hit the "thrive" gym.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2013

R1 / R2 check out schitzotypal and schitzoid personality disorders for your friend.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2013

He had his third appointment with a therapist today, R4. Could you go into about two sentences about "neural networks"? (I'm not science-y.)

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2013

Aside from my immediate family, I have no friends, but I don't intend to die over it. Maybe if I were COMPLETELY alone I couldn't deal with it, but I'm not even sure of that.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2013

Why did I have a feeling DL would be a schizoid / asperger's hotbed?

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2013

r6 - have him watch this clip.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2013

If so, I'm gonna be dead very soon. Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

Not adults. There were and are some people who have lived as literal hermits for religious or social reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2013

I would love some social isolation right about now.

I love mankind, but I hate people.

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2013

Yes, especially if they have fallen headfirst behind a bookcase.

by Anonymousreply 1301/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 1401/23/2013

Oops. Thought it said "social situations"

by Anonymousreply 1501/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!