Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Jodie Foster's coming out a step backward?

" If any harm is done, it’s certainly not going to be to Ms. Foster’s image or career, but to all of those still closeted — whether 15 or 50 — who may find yet another reason not to come out, lest their way might not be the “right” way. Sometimes we “ramble”; sometimes we’re “disjointed”; but it’s the raw kernel of honesty that matters — and that I heard in the six-minute speech. "

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

I love his interpretation. Particularly this:

In fact, Ms. Foster’s speech brought me unexpectedly to tears, not because she made a mess of it, but because every time one of us comes out it’s a moment of profound courage and vulnerability. It’s the life-changing blink of an eye in which we shed our skins and ask to be known — and loved — for who we are. And that’s exactly what she said: “I want to be seen, to be understood deeply and to be not so very lonely.” Isn’t that one of the most compelling reasons to leave the closet? Isn’t that what we all want in the end?

I doubt the carping did any damage. Maybe to the gay celebrities everybody's always demanding come out, because the new bar says not only do you have to do it, but satisfy all your conditionally supportive gay brothers and sisters.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

I don't know. I disagree that people who are still closeted will find the reaction to her coming out as more reason to stay closeted.

Because I feel, harsh-sounding I know, that ONLY very mixed up weirdos remain closeted in 2013, and they look for excuses to remain closeted to suit their juvenile, ridiculous fears.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

I have a feeling that many of the gay posters on DL are closeted. It's the only way to explain their incredible hostility to anyone and all things gay.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2013

Her declaration that is was nobodies business, really ticked me was just like a slap in the face.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2013

Yes it's fairly obvious that most Dataloungers are securely in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2013

If you think about it, it's actually a huge leap forward -- all the hate is coming almost exclusively from other gays while the straights have been positive.

Maybe in a few years no one will care at all when someone comes out.

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2013

Too little, too late.

Once a coward, always a coward.

You don't get points for coming out when there's nothing left to lose.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2013

Notice all of these attacks on her are by gay men?

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2013

I agree with R2.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

Well that's the irony, R7, she's not asking for points. She didn't ask for anything in fact she said this is who I am, now please continue to ignore me.

It's astonishing how much so many gays I guess had riding on her. You'd think she was some gay savior and now must be crucified for not living up to that.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2013

When you get up on an internationally televised stage to accept a lifetime achievement award and you make an announcement of that nature — or "announcement," as the case may be — you are asking for points.

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2013

Matt Bomer did the exact same thing when he accepted an award.

Does that mean he's not out then?

by Anonymousreply 1301/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 1401/23/2013

ANYONE still in the closet on this date is a sniveling cowardly mess.

(I am not including teenagers or college kids.)

ADULTS still closeted are vile and wretched.

The days of the closet are over.

by Anonymousreply 1501/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2013

I want

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2013

Did datalounge delete all the JF threads that were popping up after the GG? They seem to have mysteriously all vanished....

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

Who cares? it is her life. Stop seeking validation through others' identity.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!