Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay.com has gotten rid of all its chat rooms!

No more chat rooms at gay.com

From now on guys will only be able to chat one-on-one.

Like or dislike?

by Anonymousreply 7709/18/2014

About 5 years ago it used to be nice to go into one of the local chatrooms and find dozens of guys chatting. But in recent years I stopped checking the site because the previously busy 'city' rooms had become digital ghost towns and you could only find groups chatting in the 'bareback' or 'married' rooms.

Now if those rooms are gone, how much longer before that site shuts down altogether?

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2013

That's the only reason I ever went there. It's kind of amazing to me, how bad the people at gay.com are at making business decisions. They keep making more and more of them and their population keeps dwindling. It's unfortunate because I met a lot of cool people there at one time because I'm more into doing that than hooking up. I have real life friends from back when the chat rooms were full.

I think if another site could focus on chat rooms not geared towards only hooking up (ie, not manhunt), but actually meeting people, they might actually have a decent business model on their hands. I used to even pay for the site before they changed everything. Now, obviously, I don't and there's no point in going there. There are plenty of established free sites without chat rooms that do what gay.com is attempting to do.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2013

Do they want to be just a gay version of Match.com?

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2013

I am amazed at the bad decisions these web-based companies make. Manhunt recently took away the local chat rooms too.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2013

nobody ever uses those chat rooms anymore. they were always empty. it was just cluttering up the site.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2013

What a bad decision....

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2013

Let me guess,the only ones that hung around there were a bunch of old queens so they closed it.Kind of like Primetime.

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2013

Ever since they "improved" their site a few years ago, I've stopped going. They drove that fucker into the GROUND!!! Way to understand your customer base. R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 1001/25/2013

No more chat rooms???!!!! This is a disaster!

by Anonymousreply 1101/25/2013

Go to Paltalk. There are gay rooms there.

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2013

I hadn't gone on the gay.com chat room in many years, but back in the late 90s/early 00s I was there all the time hooking up, like every other NYC gay man in his 20's seemed to be doing at the time. Lots of fond memories of hookups from that site, then it just suddenly fell out of favor.

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2013

Not everyone lives in New York, or even Toledo. For gay people who happen to live far from the sizable clusters of gay population, the gay.com chat rooms were a nice social outlet. Over the years, I got to know a number of quality guys who went online to chat without the notion of hooking-up. Now, that outlet is gone. While they say things have evolved and that this is an upgrade, I say look at the disaster that is Windows 8! An upgrade is not always what people want, or really need.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2013

WTF is Gay.com? I'm not 80 years old, so I wouldn't know.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2013

About 10 years ago gay.com was a decent way to meet guys in you local area but after they made changes it felt like a "downgrade". It was all downhill after that.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2013

Chat rooms went out with AOL in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2013

Gay.com is the leader now for hookup sites. if your looking for lots of new ways to advance ur notch marks, i encourage you to try the new gay.com.

But if ur your looking to contact any1 on the site, best not to use the messenger service it has. Gay.com now keeps all of the messages you post to anyone, the monitor all conversations.

I was a month to month subscriber of gay.com but did not renew for February 2013 because of the removal of the chatroom.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2013

I almost re-subscribed when they were offering the 1/2 year membership. So glad I didn't!

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2013

R15, 6-year-olds always have the best comebacks.

Must be all that time on the playground.

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2013

Whoever made the decision to remove the chatrooms has killed the site. Used to be a fun place to go and chat with others in your area as well as guys around the country. Now it is useless and I cancelled my subscription. Wont be long before it's totally dead there. So many people have left already, no reason to go there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

yeah it used to be THE place to go for chat. I never hooked up all that much but enjoyed chatting with guys in my area, some of whom became good friends. I did use it to slut around when I traveled though.

And Manhunt just got rid of all it's geographic based chat rooms, and now has them by language (after a lot of protest they brought back a handful of chat rooms..but only a few are ever occupied).

Lame.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

I didn't realize Gay.com was even still in existence. I haven't gone on that site in quite some time. The last time I was there the chat rooms were dead--much like the site.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2013

To me it seems like gay.com "really" started to decline after they disallowed the use of Chat Client on their site. A lot of ppl, including me, like using CC to chat on gay.com. Then they came up with other "upgrades" which were really downgrades in reality; the whole thing went to hell after that. I think it serves them right if their site fails completely. Idk who is in charge there but they should either go back to the way things were 10+ years ago or shut the damn thing down.

by Anonymousreply 2402/11/2013

So where do people go to meet local guys now in a nonsexual way?

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

The baths, where else? R25

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

I signed in a couple weeks ago after not being on there for at least a couple years. Same guys, but fewer. Really, not many guys on there at all. Guess it's time is over. Oddly enough, I signed up at Plenty of Fish and see a lot of the same guys have moved over there to troll.

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

[quote]Chat rooms went out with AOL in 1997.

Didn't Yahoo Messenger just get rid of their chat rooms? I don't know the official reason but I'm sure the easy access potential sexual predators had to kids was part of the decision.

Chat rooms tend to attract crazy people.

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

[quote]So where do people go to meet local guys now in a nonsexual way?

I would try meetup.com

You can specify what type of nonsexual way, backpacking, book club, bowling, biking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

They were pretty slick pushing their 1/2 off a year's subscription prior to the release. I think they knew it was going to be an epic fail and were trying to grab as much money as they could.

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2013

R29 what is wrong with the baths to meet people?

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2013

I think the only places that have baths are NY, LA and SF? I think most gay people aren't in those three cities.

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2013

One would think that with a name like "gay.com", it would be he premier gay destination on the internet. However, it isn't. Manvox is.

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2013

What the fuck is Manvox? And what is Plenty of Fish?

by Anonymousreply 3402/12/2013

"What the fuck is Manvox?"

It is a gay message board and chat site that has had a small, but dedicated, following for several years especially in Europe and Latin America. Now, some consider it a "hip" online destination to go to but I think that mainly a result of its perceived exclusivity and relative difficulty of access.

by Anonymousreply 3502/12/2013

Manvox is a snore

by Anonymousreply 3602/12/2013

R36 = obviously not a member

by Anonymousreply 3702/12/2013

Elsewhere in the news, an ever higher % of takeout restaurants no longer accept orders by fax machine.

by Anonymousreply 3802/12/2013

I made some "Oh, dear" mistakes. I correct them below.

Now, some consider it a "hip" online destination, but I think that's mainly a result of its perceived exclusivity and relative difficulty of access.

by Anonymousreply 3902/12/2013

Has manvox changed in the last year? It was always slow and the format annoying.

by Anonymousreply 4002/12/2013

R40, I never thought the format was as good as DL's but it has several other features not found here. It has never been slow for me. Perhaps you should clear your cookies or change your settings. If the problem persists, contact the webmaster; he's quite responsive although his English is a bit broken.

by Anonymousreply 4102/12/2013

There used to be a guy in the Colorado chat rooms named Daxx (usually a variation of Daxx) that would light the crack pipe and invade the rooms. He'd talk to himself about nothing and kill every room he was in. You could tell when he was either in jail or too broke to get high because he'd disappear for weeks at a time.

by Anonymousreply 4202/12/2013

Was that on Manvox or gay.com, R42?

by Anonymousreply 4302/12/2013

Gay.com

by Anonymousreply 4402/12/2013

Every Gay.com chat room had one of those, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4502/12/2013

I'm with R9.

by Anonymousreply 4602/12/2013

Online chatrooms can be a dangerous place to hang out. They attract a lot of criminal elements and overall crazy people. Yahoo also recently shut down their public chat rooms. MSN did it years ago. Too much liability for the reward, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 4702/13/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4802/13/2013

[quote]Now, some consider it a "hip" online destination to go to but I think that mainly a result of its perceived exclusivity and relative difficulty of access.

What do you difficult to access? Do you have to be invited to join?

by Anonymousreply 4902/13/2013

Chaturbate still has chat rooms.

by Anonymousreply 5002/13/2013

Gay.com and the concept of chat rooms is so very 1999.

by Anonymousreply 5102/13/2013

In order to chat on gay.com these days you have to have like 10 fucking windows and pop-ups going at the same time. It's a ridiculous clusterfuck. And no X pics? Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 5202/13/2013

So where's a decent chat site for gay women?

by Anonymousreply 5302/13/2013

I'm surprised the site is still open.

With apps like Scruff, Grindr, Growlr, and all the others, people can chat with people who live in their neighborhood. It's much more convenient than being in a "city" room, where people were actually not from that city, but 100 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 5402/14/2013

I was really saddened & shocked to learn that the Gay.com chat rooms were killed off. The Gay.com chat rooms were such a lifeline for many gay people like myself who lived in rural areas and did not have any gay venues near them to socialize in, or whom didn't like gay bars and wanted to socialize and meet others in a friendly & safe chat environment. I myself met my life partner in a Gay.com chat room a decade ago, and know many other people who did the same, so it really saddens me that this unique feature, which is what Gay.com became famous for, is now gone. It was also nice to be able to jump into the chat rooms for cities I was planning on visiting and talk to the residents for tips on how to best enjoy my stay. But what really saddens me are all my chat buddies I have now lost. The vast majority of these people never gave me personal contact info to contact them off gay.com, but never the less, they were regulars in the gay.com chat rooms and I enjoyed their company immensely over the years. Now, it's all gone. It was bad enough when gay.com switched over to the Ajax platform a few years back, which decimated many local rooms in smaller cities, but for the chat rooms to be totally gone now is just tragic and a real disservice to the gay community that has supported gay.com for so long now. Their new system basically amounts to what a smartphone app can do, and it is in no way a replacement for chat rooms where everyone can chat together in real time. No message board can replace that. Maybe the younger guys here don't appreciate it, but us older men, who depended on Gay.com's chat rooms when before all we had were personal ads, will mourn this loss.

by Anonymousreply 5503/05/2013

So essentially gay.com has gone out of business. I mean...is there any other reason to visit the site??

by Anonymousreply 5603/05/2013

Gay.com was THE place to go in the late 90s. NYC had something like 5 chat rooms and at night they were all packed. I hooked up a lot back then (I was in my early 20s), and also met friends, two of which are still close friends to this day.

Back then, there weren't as many people on the Internet, and there were much fewer crazy folk. In the 2000s, when everybody and their uncle got online, the crazies started appearing all over the web and that, I think, is what made chat rooms fall out of favor.

It was so much fun while it lasted, however.

by Anonymousreply 5703/05/2013

OMG! - What are those 4 tired old trailer-queens from Tampa going to do now that they can't act as constant harassers/bouncers for their gay.com chat room empire? LOLZ!

by Anonymousreply 5803/05/2013

Did chat rooms really "fall out of favor"??? Cause I'd certainly still use them if they were available!

by Anonymousreply 5903/05/2013

I see that the majority of replies are from men. I'm a lesbian and met my partner of 4 1/2 years on that site. I stopped chatting for a while, but decided to log in tonight, and couldn't! Even though I knew my password was correct, I even tried to reset it, and it didn't find my username, then I saw it was only for men!

I'm not going to "miss" it, since I've not been there since the summer, but I will miss knowing it was there. And like many people, I met several women from there when I was driving 18-wheelers across country.

When I came out 16 years ago, gay.com was my main resource.

by Anonymousreply 6003/09/2013

They're fucking broke due to mismanagement and all those idiotic mergers.

by Anonymousreply 6103/09/2013

It's full of pedobears which are the same as elder gays.

The police kept posing as kids and the elder gays kept getting arrested.

Soon no one was left.

by Anonymousreply 6203/09/2013

awfull mistake dont bother with it since it changed not worth trying to figure it out. went there for the chat rooms just chatted with a few folks daily no more bad bad bad decision

by Anonymousreply 6303/15/2013

There's literally no way to meet local gay guys for friendship anymore. I used to meet friends on gay.com, connexion, myspace (which allowed you to search for gays within X number of miles from your zip code), etc. All of those options are gone now. Facebook search doesn't allow you to meet new people, only ones it thinks you may already know. This sucks.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2013

were else can we go that still has chat rooms?

by Anonymousreply 6603/19/2013

so with the chat rooms gonei dont use gay.com that much. any other similar sites with chat rooms u guys recommend?

by Anonymousreply 6705/12/2013

Actually adam4adam has become the new gay.com it seems to me. It doesn't have a main chat room, but does allow you see people going from closest to you to furthest away, they allow it to find your location. Most people do, a few won't allow their location to be published. Also you can just go by city. And you can see all the people that are chatting within that city. They may be 100 miles away, but it works.

So to chat you have to either just private chat, or send and email to them and go back and forth like that.

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2014

Waves by Camille. It's just hauntingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 6901/11/2014

r62 = truth. I can't begin to add up the number of conversations that would invariably turn to "my 8yr old son sleeps in bed with me." Instant block from me. I'm sure they nabbed a bunch of would-be-pedos that way, but damn was it infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 7001/11/2014

Want a slave bitch to comand on skype? ADD me: davidalexandrelh2 I'm a young boy, I' like to be used on sam. Please masters say add me!

by Anonymousreply 7104/10/2014

Don't do Paltalk. I used to go on there a lot back in the day. Tried to install it today and Malwarebytes found a legit trojan before I could even install it.

by Anonymousreply 7204/10/2014

Agree!!! 15-20yrs ago gay.com had EXCELLENT Chat Rooms, then changed it and it went to 'Good', then changed it again and it became 'Okay'... then they changed it again and now it is 'HORRIBLE'.

No wonder gay.com is no longer as popular as it once was. Someone at gay.com should get FIRED if they hadn't already for messing gay.com up so badly. How in the world do they still have this HORRIBLE SO-CALLED chat room system... its not even really a true chat room but more like HORRIBLE forums.

by Anonymousreply 7309/17/2014

This is a health worker thread. People please watch what you post.

by Anonymousreply 7409/17/2014

The old gay.com was still the best. The chat function is what made it fun as well as meeting guys more than looking at a picture.

by Anonymousreply 7509/17/2014

[quote]"my 8yr old son sleeps in bed with me." Instant block from me.

Was to annoying to realize, that they said that [italic]on purpose so you'd block them.

by Anonymousreply 7609/18/2014

Agree R14. I miss that gay socializing with a sexual current but without the objective of hooking up. Made a lot of online friends worldwide but it's almost 10 years since I've been on it.

by Anonymousreply 7709/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.