Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Photographic memory

Does anyone have this talent? What is it like?

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013

It's convenient.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

A friend of mine has a photographic memory and it's almost eerie. He can recount a conversation we had, word-for-word, that took place 15 years ago and even tell me what I was wearing at the time.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

I remember a lot of things like that, R2. I freak one friend out in particular with memories of meals we've eaten, who was wearing what, but...

I can't remember the lyrics to songs on albums I've listened to a zillion times.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2013

I'm good at remembering scripts, but can't add two columns of numbers in my head without losing the carried-over numbers.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2013

I think it'd be very handy to have for a test-taking students, card counters/memorizers, and actors.

For everyone else, not so much.

I think one's life goes so much better if one can forget some things like horrors, humiliations, hard times, etc.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2013

I had an amazing photographic memory as a child.

It has worn off with age, although I can still recall events from the distant past by what people were wearing, their facial expressions, the way scenery looked, etc.

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2013

How are you with song lyrics, and lines from movies and plays, R6?

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2013

I remember verbatim everything YOU said. I just don't remember everything I said.

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2013

R7, I'm OK with lines from movies, as long as I can remember the appearance of the character or background scene.

I'm not so good with song lyrics anymore...although I do remember the words to the theme song from "F Troop." Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2013

I thought the definition of a photographic memory was that you could look at the print on a page and remember it like you were looking at a photograph.

None of this shit is consistent with a photographic memory.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

Start with kindergarten and name all of your grade school teachers. I've done it, and can still visualize what each looked like. My total recall is uneven, however, and has both advantages and disadvantages in my life. Fabulous if you ever have to go to Small Claims Court but demonstrations do freak out employers.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2013

That's easy R11, I can't imagine somebody not being able to do that. Hell, I remember my sister's teachers, grade by grade.

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2013

I have it. When I was 18 I sat down and went through and remembered nearly month by month nearly everything that happened to me from age 4 to 18. I thought everyone could do this. In middle school, I could speed read and I memorized the math books and took the test after each chapter. It's kinds weird to remember a lot. I can remember when, where, age and circumstances when I heard a certain piece of music.

by Anonymousreply 1301/23/2013

[quote]He can recount a conversation we had, word-for-word, that took place 15 years ago

I can remember fragments of conversations for years, though rarely the whole thing. I first realized this was a bit different in junior high when I amazed someone by remembering a conversation from two months back.

[quote]and even tell me what I was wearing at the time

I cannot do that. I don't have a strong visual memory.

by Anonymousreply 1401/23/2013

Somebody asked this same exact question on Oct 14th, 2007.

by Anonymousreply 1501/23/2013

Have great visual memory but not great with names. Can never remember lyrics or funny lines from shows.

by Anonymousreply 1601/23/2013

I remember settings, dates and details that don't register with others. But, at the same time, it's frustrating because I remember unimportant details far better than the important ones.

by Anonymousreply 1701/23/2013

Marilu remembers everything. Except for our one night of passion.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2013

I used to have a photographic memory, but it has fallen off.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2013

What R10 said.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2013

I have a legit photographic memory and, yes, it was always very helpful during tests in high school. I could literally pull up a page in a text book inside my head and "look at it" in my mind. I'm a fiction writer in my spare time, and in my dreams (in that weird state between sleep and wake), I can often write whole pages of prose, wake up, "look" at what I had written in my head, and then type it out on the computer. For years, I thought everyone could do stuff like this.

About ten years ago I printed out sheets from imdb.com for who had been nominated and won in every single acting category for the Oscars, Best Picture and Best Director. As a party trick, people pick a category and I can rattle each nominee and, finally, the winner. Helped during the Jeopardy! test I took a couple of weeks ago!

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2013

I think remembering dates and what people say is idetic memory

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2013

It was photographic, not idetic.

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.