Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hard work

What's the most hard-working person in your life and what was the person like?

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013

My father. He's 75 and still working as a carpenter in a hospital, simply because he doesn't want to retire and sit around, plus he likes the social interaction at work.

However, my mother gave me the best piece of advice about work I ever heard. On my 16th birthday when I started my first "real" job at a supermarket, she said "if you aren't busy for a moment, grab a broom and start sweeping." That industrious attitude followed me to this day, 32 years later as an attorney.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2013

My brother, a single dad working two hard, physical jobs to support his kid, who he hardly gets to see because he works so much.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2013

My mother. Has always worked for an income, plus did all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and childcare for her large family (during the hours she wasn't working for income).

One year, when I was a teen, she worked three for-pay jobs, along with her at-home jobs. She briefly fell asleep driving a couple times that year.

What is she like? WTH do you think? She's constantly exhausted and in poor health. A person's body can only take so much. Her employers are very glad to have her, of course, but as she ages, she's losing it. There are only so many balls one can keep juggling without ever dropping them.

I was on that path too. At my first job, after complaining about abuse from 2 co-workers, my boss told them they need to straighten up or get fired, as I was worth more - I did more work than both of them. That's about the only time my hard work got me anything of value (to me - to my employers, of course, my hard work got them a well-running company and increased profits).

I spent many years working my butt off, like Mom, and eventually realized, if it's not going to get me anywhere (and it didn't), then why am I trying so much harder than everyone else, especially when it's to my detriment? I learned to ease up a bit, but it was hard, as my natural inclination is to prostrate myself and sacrifice my every need in order to help a company or a person. I actually got fired from a government job many years back because I was following all the rules and they didn't want that. So I try to slack a little and leave some room for me.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2013

Co worker who came here five years ago from Cuba. He has the hardest, most physically taxing job here. After work he goes to night school. On weekends he cleans and details boats. Since arriving here he has bought a house and a new car all while still finding money to send to his family in Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2013

I grew up on a farm. Life was work, 7 days a week. My parents worked tirelessly from sun up to sun down. We raised our own food. My parents could do anything and everything for themselves. Need a new barn, you go out and build it. Need meat, you butcher it. The car or tractor breaks down you fix it and there was not a book in the house.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2013

R5 = Cam

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2013

A woman who raised two fabulous kids while working 60-80 hour weeks, with no help from their deadbeat dad. She's extraorinarily intelligent, and comes from the kind of immigrant family who believes in spending every waking minute working your fingers to the bone.

She's still astonished when working her fingers to the bone makes her tired. About once a week she sleeps about twelve hours and can barely stagger out of bed, and says she doesn't know what's wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2013

Bill Gates! Sorry, sometimes I crack myself up. I had a dog who worked harder than him.

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2013

I get you R3. I'm luck as I like my work and a part of it I love. I do plenty of unpaid hours, but just work on the stuff in my job that I enjoy. I have depression/ bipolar and the work I do is kind of therapeutic for me.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2013

My mother. She was a successful artist and worked hard at it -- was creative but also an excellent networker and businesswoman. She woke up early to work, stayed up late, managed to raise a family and build a career at the same time and balance both of them so we never felt short-changed. Not sure how she did it, since I am dead after 8 hours of work. Well, I do know -- she loved what she did.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2013

My mother. She had emphysema for twenty years and had to fight for breath every second. For twenty years.

And she did.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!